Nintendo Wii Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Would you like to take a Wii?

Oui Wii
74%
Non Wii
4%
Don't care it'll be ass
6%
Don't care it'll be fried gold
15%

Total votes : 94

Nintendo Wii Thread

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:35 am

I was already pretty excited about the Revolution, but now they've dropped a huge bomb on my geeky ass: Sega Genesis and -wait for it-...Turbo Grafx games will be available for download!!!

I've just simultaneously busted a nut and crapped my pants!

Read about it (the Revolution, not the details of me soiling myself) here and a million other game sites I'm sure.

Mod Edit - Updated: February 13, 2007

Here's a list of the Friend Codes we have so far - send a PM to ThisIsTheGirl to get yours added to the list!

Logan5: 1334 8009 5571 5506

Bob Poopflingius Maximus: 8967 6121 5209 0354

Rhaps0dy: 0127 4346 7964 3897

ThisIsTheGirl: 1530-4093-3564-8076

Kid on an escalator: 7096 2429 5892 9814

King Psyz: 2036 8623 8323 4741

Papalazeru: 1387-1212-0706-6196
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:40 am

Wow, thats pretty darn cool. The turbo grafx has quite a catalogue of titles that not alot poeple in Europe are aware of, e.g the Mario and Sonic beater imo, BONK! and its sequels. Shame the console doesn't come with the library of these titles built in...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby EWS on Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:22 am

Magic, I am sure tho that the games won't cost that much - and if Nintendo market them right (such as 3 for $5 or something) I think this can be a very succesful technique.

There was talk that other companies were going to release the back catalogue on the machine as well (Square Enix being one of them) so we may see some games that were PS1 exclusive on them!

I can't wait!
monorail77 wrote:I officially vote EWS as way fucking coolest guy in the Zone

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
Remember, your new thread always belongs somewhere else!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:27 am

The online arcade idea looks great. Hopefully some Master System games will be available (come on Alex Kidd in Miracle World).

I only remember the Micrografx catalogue being essentially the same as the Mega Drive.

A few more details about the controller system are around now.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:35 am

Fried Gold wrote:The online arcade idea looks great. Hopefully some Master System games will be available (come on Alex Kidd in Miracle World).

I only remember the Micrografx catalogue being essentially the same as the Mega Drive.

A few more details about the controller system are around now.

:shock: :D :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock:

I have no idea whether the Revoloution will be a glorious mess, or whether it's going to bomb something rotten. All I know is, at this stage it's offering something which the other's aren't, a NEW way to experience next gen games and I'm hopefull, because ultimately it's from the most original and innovotive of all the console makers.

I'm open minded as to how people get their kicks from gaming, but as far as I can tell, the leap all these consoles are taking forwards in terms of graphics etc is significant enough for ALL of them to have lots of genius games, but the Revoloution is doing it all with a brand new twist. I'm really excited to see what Nintendo can bring.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby EWS on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:19 am

Flumm, old buddy old pal, you have just hit the nail on the head as to why I rate Nintendo higher then Sony or Microsoft. They are not afraid to try something new.

The DS was a risk they took, giving a console two screens (ok, so they did it before) but this time with one as a touchscreen! Guess what, it worked!! The PSP, to me, is just a ps2 but in handheld. That itself is a feat within itself, but I look for something more.

Then with the REV, they could easily have come up with a souped up Gamecube (much like the ps3 or the 360) but they decided to try something different, and lets hope it works. I remember reading Gamespots comments on it, and they said that when playing MP2 on it, it was really easy to control. I cannot wait!

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:33 am

MadCapsule wrote:Turbo Grafx games will be available for download!!!

When I read this, 3 names came to my mind: Devil's Crush, Bomberman and SPLATTERHOUSE!!!!

Today is a great day!

btw Flumm - I kinda know what you mean, but I had a very interesting chat about this a couple of days ago. I've a friend who currently works in games journalism, but used to be in game design and shares a flat with 2 other guys who are also in the gaming industry. Now, this flat has just about every console and peripheral ever made lying around - they even have that crazy steel battalion thing for the X-Box.

But when I arrived at this dude's flat, I immediately noticed something: they have yet to buy a 360. I was stunned, and asked him why. "uninspiring - no games that have captured my interest so far" was the reply. Now, bearing in mind that this guy spent a ridiculous amount of time playing the likes of Halo 2, and has queued outside stores at midnight more than once for the launch of a new console/game - this is quite amazing.

I asked him what it would take to get him excited about a new game or console - "Revolution's the only thing I'm interested in at the moment". Again, considering this dude probably hasn't played his Gamecube in at least a year, and doesn't even own a DS, I found this pretty staggering - but he said a lot of his friends feel the same way. So if even "hardcore" gamers are turning their backs on Sony and Microsoft, I have a feeling that Revolution might actually win the next round of hardware wars. I say this because I think it's safe to say that DS has beaten PSP to the non-gamer market - with titles like Nintendogs and Brain Training wowing oldies and ladies who haven't played games since Pac-Man - and there's nothing to suggest that Revo won't repeat this achievement. So Revo is looking to appeal to the hardcore AND get ahold of a completely new gaming audience at the same time.

I realise that what I'm saying seems unlikely right now, given what has happened in previous years, but PS3 looks like it will be coming out after the Revo now, and 360's sales, from what I hear, haven't been madly impressive. I never would have predicted this situation 6 months ago, but times change, and I reckon things are seriously looking up for the big N at the moment....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RockyDennis on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:06 am

I'm really hoping that the revolution is a success, but I think that the next Grand Theft Auto and Halo III are the only software titles that I can see carrying a system right now and without either of them its going to be difficult.
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:34 am

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia or Nintendo's game designers. They're absolutely brilliant at reinventing and redesigning their core franchises while retaining the basic gameplay.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:51 am

...and 360's sales, from what I hear, haven't been madly impressive.

They can't have been too bad. You can only just about find them in shops now, and the majority of game sales in the UK at least have been chart toppers - where'd you hear this?

Personally I've got Burnout Revenge, DOA4, Call of Duty 2, PGR3, Ghost Recon AW and Oblivion and as a long-term gamer I couldn't be happier. Would be nice to see a game that isn't a sequel, but with games like Dead Rising, Alan Wake, Test Drive UL, Crysis, Prey, Mass Effect, Project Offset (anyone seen that? Incredible), Vina Pinata, Spore, Lost Planet and Frame City Killer on the way... I don't care!

To note, I bought a Gamecube last year for RE4. Stunning game, but the slow and rather sad trickle of games coming out for it put me off holding onto it. I gave the Metroids a try, Zelda too, and that cute Pikmin 2 title, but nothing could keep me gripped... so I returned to my PC. I love Nintendo, got a DS, but their slow (or rather non) commitment - in the uk at least - to new releases and third party titles killed off the Gamecube in the EU faster than it deserved.

It's all about the games. I see a lot of PC titles I'd have to perform expensive (therefore unnecessary) upgrades for coming out on 360, so I bought one. The extra console titles are ones I'd never played before, so perhaps I'm not as jaded to them thanks to previous releases. But I couldn't be happier.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:52 am

Ooops, went a bit OT. BTW I'd buy a Revolution but I want to know more about their releasing and strategies re third party software first. I mean, great! Nintendo games! But I'd rather not have the long wait between their own games devoid of life.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:46 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:where'd you hear this?

From my games journo friend. He reckons that the 360's scarcity in the UK is due to them not shipping enough units in the first place, so I'm not sure it's a sign that they have been a massive success. I get what you mean though; plenty of my friends have bought 360s, I just found it surprising that my most hardcore friends have avoided it for now. Like you say, if the right game were to come along, I'm sure they could be persuaded!

As for N's treatment of the UK, and Europe in general - you're right, it's been a big problem in the past, but things are gradually changing. They've bundled Sudoku into the Western release of Brain Training, and that's a direct nod to current European tastes. We'll have to wait and see of course, but I'd be amazed if Revo does as badly as the Gamecube.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:57 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Ooops, went a bit OT. BTW I'd buy a Revolution but I want to know more about their releasing and strategies re third party software first. I mean, great! Nintendo games! But I'd rather not have the long wait between their own games devoid of life.

A Revolution devkit costs $2000.

By comparison, a PSX or Xbox devkit costs $5K-$7K.

Yeah...let that soak in for a moment. You or I could buy a Revolution devkit. Nintendo has pulled a complete 180 on independent software. There are a LOT of rumors going around that independently produced games for the Revolution can be uploaded to the Nintendo Marketplace they're setting up online.

So...yeah. I think the Revolution will have the games.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby brendonconnelly on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:12 pm

Wow. I want one. I can hardly type, let alone program, but I still want one.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:21 pm

Hey, Theta - I WANT it to succeed and have been bashing away in the past at people willing to throw a fit about its interface on other forums. I can't see what the hell some people are on about.

Personally, I think the Revolution has the potential (processing power or not) to actually take gaming further into mainstream culture. So far Nintendo are, in the west at least, viewed either as for hardcore old-skoolers for its back-to-basics approach to gameplay or kiddy fun for the same thing. Which is really odd when you consider how different each extreme is.

I want this, as the DS has, to pull the brand back into the public eye. And I think it has every chance of doing so!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:12 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Hey, Theta - I WANT it to succeed and have been bashing away in the past at people willing to throw a fit about its interface on other forums. I can't see what the hell some people are on about.

I wasn't being hostile in my post. Sorry if I came off that way. :(

I want it to succeed too, which is why the cheap devkit excites me.

The interface is, I think, going to wind up being what puts the Revolution over the top. If there's a more SIMPLE gaming interface, I can't think of one (at the very least I want to get an FPS going on that platform!)
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:14 pm

Do you know what the main complaint is? Holding it will "hurt your wrist over prolonged periods".

Pfft.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:15 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Do you know what the main complaint is? Holding it will "hurt your wrist over prolonged periods".

Pfft.

My sentiments exactly. What, do they think it needs more buttons?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:22 pm

Any more buttons than there is already on the 360 and I may as well be holding a keyboard.

Not to say that the 360 pad isn't comfortable. ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:03 pm

If my 5'4 girlfriend who's doll like hands are half the size of mine can handle them and kick my ass at DOA4, then anyone can - monster it might be, but at laest it's comfy. There's only two more buttons than a SNES controller. The others aren't always used in conjunction with eachother - two thumbsticks and a pad. Any more would be worth complaining about!

Oblivion plays beautifully on it, so it has its uses!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:04 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Any more buttons than there is already on the 360 and I may as well be holding a keyboard.

I never liked the XBox controller. The 360 is better, but it's still a button-studded monstrosity.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:06 pm

Theta wrote:
I never liked the XBox controller.

Same here. I never got used to the placement of the black and white buttons for either the boat anchor controller or the smaller one. I always found that I would end up wildly jabbing at it in desperation or actually looking down at the controller to find them.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:30 pm

I hope I get to play Earthworm Jim again. I loved that game.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:52 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I hope I get to play Earthworm Jim again. I loved that game.

Damn straight! But only if it's the complete version from the Genesis.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:58 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I hope I get to play Earthworm Jim again. I loved that game.

Damn straight! But only if it's the complete version from the Genesis.

No question. I still break out my Genesis so I can play it.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:03 pm

Theta wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Any more buttons than there is already on the 360 and I may as well be holding a keyboard.

I never liked the XBox controller. The 360 is better, but it's still a button-studded monstrosity.

I broke a 360 controller in PC World. I was demoing it, and it just fell to pieces.

I backed away.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby EWS on Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:07 am

This is a good little feature on the REV by Gamespot. Makes for some interesting speculation and information!

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:04 pm

I have seen weord rumors about HD-DVD use in the new Rev......not for movie output but as a storage medium.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:45 pm

Most of you who are interested, probably had a browse of the article linked above by EWS, but I thought I'd just link to a few of the pictures, as I'm sure not everyone has seen what interesting things Ninty are brewing up with the controllers...

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:56 pm

The great thing about that controller is that it also functions as a nunchuck, so if you're getting beaten by the other player you can either knock them out or strangle them to death.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:44 pm

Nice Pics, Flumm (I can't get on Gamespot at work, so they were much appreciated)

The attachment looks loads bigger than it did in the original pictures. I'm still not sure how good it's gonna feel in your hand though....and are they going to do a different version for lefties?

Then there's the base; The latest Official Nintendo Magazine had to issue a retraction about the base unit, saying that there has been no official announcements about it being a power unit (they had previously said that it functions as a power box).

Also, there are definitely other things about the Revo which haven't been revealed yet - this years E3 is going to be an eye-opener, I reckon!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:12 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Nice Pics, Flumm (I can't get on Gamespot at work, so they were much appreciated)

The attachment looks loads bigger than it did in the original pictures. I'm still not sure how good it's gonna feel in your hand though....and are they going to do a different version for lefties?

Then there's the base; The latest Official Nintendo Magazine had to issue a retraction about the base unit, saying that there has been no official announcements about it being a power unit (they had previously said that it functions as a power box).

Also, there are definitely other things about the Revo which haven't been revealed yet - this years E3 is going to be an eye-opener, I reckon!

Can I say first of all, it's dang good to have you around these parts again TiTG? :roll: Among other things, conversations about Nintendo, British comedy, and the particular breed of evil found in PE Teachers, haven't been as prevelant as they should have been around here of late, so I extend a well deserved welcome back to you, buddy. :wink:

And in regards to the Revolution. I think one of the hallmarks of a great idea, is how obvious it seems when it's been presented to you. That's what it feels like to me with this. A console controller that practically reinvents the technology, allowing all the functions of the previous incarnations, yet feels like a remote control, something that most of teh world is familiar with? I hope it's finely tuned, and has all the details working for it, something which is not garaunteed I know, so I'll reserve final judgement of it till I use it, but if I'm honest, it just smacks of genius in my opinion.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:47 pm

It's called Wii now.

Us Brits can dream of urination whilst playing games. They'll need to change the UK name in case people laugh too fucking hard to ask for it at the counter...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:48 pm

Introducing... Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

IT MEANS "TO URINATE"".

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

Ghey...

Actually considering it means "piss" in Englander-speak then this whole spiel is hilarious!
Last edited by AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:50 pm

@EWS - It's ok. You can go for a Wii soon.
Last edited by AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:50 pm

@Lugz - Can you "fuck" wee?

If you want to complain about ANYTHING, complain about THE FUCKING BLOODY POST ORDER.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby EWS on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Stupid dicatorship modding that goes on around here. It did warrant a new topic, it's a pretty fucking big deal.

Thats one thing that pisses me off about this place.

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:55 pm

thats a fucking stoopid name......the Nintendo Piss is what it may as well be.

Revolution was a great name.

fuck Wii
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:59 pm

this system is going to take like an hour to load up and that's not including the game intro
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:02 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:@Lugz - Can you "fuck" wee?

I dunno, but i'll try my best.

I finally thought Nintendo were gonna be a bit badass but once again they pussy out and aim the bloody thing at toddlers!!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:07 pm

tfactor wrote:this system is going to take like an hour to load up and that's not including the game intro

That will give you time to strap on the holster for the new controller............actually that'd be kinda cool
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:15 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:That will give you time to strap on the holster

strap on a holster? Dude you could write an autobiography in the time it takes to boot up. the system is so slow; one of the beta tester just called and told me his revolution just came on like an hour ago and he had plugged it in and started the boot up process in February, thats how bad it is. :shock: ok fine I don't know any beta testers
:roll:
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:18 pm

~
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Sat May 12, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:30 pm

who wants to take the bet to see how long before the marketing division comes up with a witty commercial/ad campaign proclaiming:

Wii SHALL OVERCOME

and somehow include a "revolution" of gaming...people abandoning their 360's and PS3's and crossing over to the side of Tendo... for the greater good of course... :cry:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby EWS on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:42 pm

I stand by my comment.

And come on, Queen and Nintendo = Wii will wii will rock you!

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:47 pm

EWS wrote:Stupid dicatorship modding that goes on around here. It did warrant a new topic, it's a pretty fucking big deal.

yes - it is a big deal - but technically - the release of nintendo's new platform is a big deal to any gamer - and deserves it's own thread - but the fact that it has a new name - i don't think justifies a new thread...

what if we started a new thread everytime a movie changed it's name - or changed actors/directors/writers... even if said movie is a big deal in itself - would that warrant a brand new thread - each and every time...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:51 pm

Holy crappa I take a like a the little vacation anna alla the Hell, she break a loose, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby EWS on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:54 pm

It is a piece of news, that affects the very fabric of the space time continum though! If you want to take that route, then you should just have one giant massive topic dedicated to movies and the such.

But hey, what do I know. I am just a small little member.

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby brendonconnelly on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:57 pm

tfactor wrote:this system is going to take like an hour to load up and that's not including the game intro

That simply isn't true. What on earth are you basing that on?
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:57 pm

EWS wrote:I have just a small little member.

You know, they do have a the certain surgical procedures that can a help a the putzes like a yourself, eh?

Or a so I've a been a told...

:wink:
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Next

Return to Games