Nintendo Wii Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Would you like to take a Wii?

Oui Wii
74%
Non Wii
4%
Don't care it'll be ass
6%
Don't care it'll be fried gold
15%

Total votes : 94

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:27 pm

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:33 pm

That one is my favorite so far.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:41 pm

If it's good enough for Ned it's good enough for me.

Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:06 pm

TURBOGRAFIX?!?!?! Fuck yeah!
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:31 pm

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:42 pm

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:02 pm

BBC news story on Wii.

Nintendo also says the name was chosen to symbolise the way people play on the machine and the distinctive look of its controllers.

Try not to laugh.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:29 pm

In another story, Nintendo announced today their new official spokesman for the next generation to be none other than R. Kelly.

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:18 pm

R. Kelly has Wiied in the closet.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby EWS on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:06 am

Taking things away from the name change at the moment, we have an interesting piece of news from EA regarding one of their flagship titles over there in the big ol USA.

Gamespot wrote:EA brings Madden to Revolution
EA Canada QB details popular pigskin franchise's debut for Nintendo's new console; with new controller, popular football series won't be just about pushing buttons. Exec says EA Rev games won't be straight ports.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Apr 27, 2006 8:03 am GMT

Electronic Arts hasn't unveiled its full lineup of games for next month's Electronic Entertainment Expo yet, but one title that the publisher has confirmed will make its debut at the show in playable demo form is that of it flagship franchise on a new console. The ever-popular Madden franchise gets the call for Nintendo's next-gen console and is tentatively titled Madden Revolution. It's important to note that the game isn't simply titled Madden NFL 2007 for the Revolution--that's because no gamer has seen a Madden quite like this one.

For the first time in years, development on a major console version of EA's marquee franchise football series is being taken outside the doors of the company's Orlando, Florida-based EA Tiburon studio. The game is instead being handled north of the border, by a special Revolution-focused development group within EA's Burnaby, British Columbia studio.

Given that EA has dedicated a specific group to Revolution development, it stands to reason that the game will take advantage of the console's unique capabilities. While many details will have to wait until E3 kicks off, GameSpot was given an advanced scouting report that said that the gameplay will make extensive use of the Revolution controller's motion-sensing capabilities.

The article also describes how the controller is going to be used in this game, mostly using throwing motions. However, there is also an interview with the lead exec on it, and what I think the most important sentance to take out is this;

John Schappert wrote:However, to make it stand out on Revolution, it's all about control. It's about, "How is this Madden going to be seen as native to this platform and not seen as just a port where it doesn't maximize the power of the machine?" And what we're really proud of is we've truly taken a revolutionary approach to making this game specifically and just for the [Wii].

Let me re-iterate, "not just seen as a port". This, coming from EA, the laziest game makers in the universe talking about completly redisgning a game so it won't be seen as a port, and takes into account the powers of the console. If this isn't seen as a positive step for the console, then I don't know what it is.

I personally believe that developers are interested and intrigued in what the Wii can do, and will be trying their best not to let this fail. I don't think a name change will affect the bare essentials of what Nintendo have here!

The article can be found here

And just to add fuel to the fire, I found this which I think is pretty funny!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:46 am

It is going to need developers who are positive and enthusiastic about the new system for it to be used to it's full potential.

I just wonder if there will be enough who make the effort or have the resources to develop for the controller.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:58 am

The development kit is a ton cheaper than either the 360 or PS3 the tech is far less powerul to make up for it. With the proper SDK it shouldn't make much difference.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:31 pm

Then all will be well.

Vive la Wii
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Sat May 06, 2006 10:05 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:The development kit is a ton cheaper than either the 360 or PS3 the tech is far less powerul to make up for it. With the proper SDK it shouldn't make much difference.

A ton=$5000 price difference.

Wii or Revolution, there's no getting around that Nintendo is not dicking around with this "independent developer" thing. That a devkit for a major console costs $2000 is pretty goddamn shocking in of itself. Hopefully that pays off.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I mentioned this shit already. Sorry.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 06, 2006 12:00 pm

You are forgiven, my child. Worship at the altar of Wii.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Sat May 06, 2006 1:00 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:You are forgiven, my child. Worship at the altar of Wii.

Chaplain: Let us praise Wii. O Wii...
Congregation: O Wii...
Chaplain: ...Ooh, You are so big...
Congregation: ...ooh, You are so big...
Chaplain: ...So absolutely huge.
Congregation: ...So absolutely huge.
Chaplain: Gosh, wii're all really impressed down here, I can tell You.
Congregation: Gosh, wii're all really impressed down here, I can tell You.
Chaplain: Forgive us, O Wii, for this, our dreadful toadying, and...
Congregation: And barefaced flattery and repetitive posting.
Chaplain: But You are so strong and, well, just so super.
Congregation: Fantastic.
Humphrey: Amen.
Congregation: Amen.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri May 19, 2006 4:18 pm

I dumped this in the E3 thread as well but this seemed like the closest thing to an official Wii thread so here it is again.

While stumbling around the web for Wii info and rumors I came across something interesting...

Will the Wii use a portable screen to project naked eye steroscopic images ie 3D?
I stumbled across this from a link to a hands on article describing the Wii controller using Infra Red at E3...interesting quote
As for the 3D projection technology we reported on before E3, it was a no-show. If it does exist, perhaps it was decided to be kept under wraps a while longer considering Sony blatantly copied the use of accelerometers in it's new copycat controller, completing it a mere six days before the show! (It's sad to see Sony also stole the logo home button from the 360 controller as well.) And Sony may not be done copying the Wiimote yet!

In an interview with IGN, Perrin Kaplan was asked (4 minutes in) "Are we gonna see more hardware surprises, are you still hiding stuff? " to which she answered "YES! next question". Matt - "Still hiding stuff? Why are we still not seeing all of the hardware features?" Perrin - "I like question five".

I personally drilled a Nintendo® rep (while waiting for him to fix a Wiimote for the Tennis demo) about what was under the flap on the front of the console (any 3D projection in there?), after dodging like a Jedi knight and acting like he didn't hear me several times he got very nervous and finally said "I can't talk about it or I will get fired".

A mockup of what the poster thinks the W in Wii could stand for...
Aside from the price Nintendo is still supposedly holding back on something about the Wii hardware wise....could this be it?
This seems to be something that was or is in development but will it see the light of day?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Fri May 19, 2006 5:53 pm

While I'd love to see this happen, I just have to call bullshit on this one, at least for now. They wouldn't be hiding it if it weren't something Sony couldn't rip off. Every Nintendo system is accompanied by some rumored hardware advance that never materializes (remember the SNES CD-ROM?)

On the other hand, one suspects that whatever it is, it's gonna be cool.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri May 19, 2006 7:08 pm

I think it may be something that was in development based on that one scan but it seems doubtful something that would go into production. I hope whatever they are holding back on divulging hardware wise will be something this cool or better though considering the secrecy.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 26, 2006 7:57 am

Wii pricing update.

Reposted cos Gaffers is a power hungry wanker. Don't believe me? We rate at the same Wank scale in the EFBR!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri May 26, 2006 8:56 am

allright MasterWhedon, i watched that demo and i got tired just watching those people monkey around with that fucking controller!

and the guy jumping from behind his couch to shoot somebody in that Doom-like game: teh ghey!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri May 26, 2006 9:10 am

Have Nintendo suggested a definite release date yet? That's the one thing I can't seem to find in all this discussion. If they intend to have sold 6mil by March 2007, surely they need to release the thing by September-ish? Anyone?

Anyway, I'm happy to hear about the price - although it wasn't exactly a surprise, given that competitive pricing has been Nintendo's strategy for about 8 years now...

Just ordered a black DS Lite for release day next month! :D :D :D
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby EWS on Fri May 26, 2006 9:15 am

They suggested Q4, thats all really.
monorail77 wrote:I officially vote EWS as way fucking coolest guy in the Zone

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
Remember, your new thread always belongs somewhere else!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri May 26, 2006 9:16 am

Cool - thx EWS!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri May 26, 2006 9:43 am

130 quid and it could project 3D images???? Holy fuck this sounds amazng.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby athenabodicea on Sat May 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Last edited by athenabodicea on Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Theta on Sun May 28, 2006 12:36 am

athenabodicea wrote:Image

That is fucking gold. Have you made ones for the Xbox 360 and PS3 yet?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Lurker Johnson on Sun May 28, 2006 12:37 am

Theta wrote:

That is fucking gold. Have you made ones for the Xbox 360 and PS3 yet?

Seconded. I actually laughed out loud. Strange, huh?
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Theta on Sun May 28, 2006 12:37 am

EWS wrote:They suggested Q4, thats all really.

The smart money is saying September or October, since despite the price they have no desire to go head-to-head with Sony when the PS3 comes out.

Personally, I suspect that's all still being firmed up.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Lurker Johnson on Sun May 28, 2006 12:47 am

Theta wrote:

The smart money is saying September or October, since despite the price they have no desire to go head-to-head with Sony when the PS3 comes out.

Seriously, what console war? The PS3 has been priced out if the market.

Only yuppies will be able to afford it (or frat houses - when they aren't banging strippers).

What, did I go there?

Shit, sorry.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun May 28, 2006 2:25 am

Repost from the locked thread.

Just want to point out the top price in Japan is 25000 Yen which is approximately $223 US.....I suspect the price will actually debut at $199 US based on their past track record....They merely state here it won't be over $250 but could be less. Plus Japanese prices are usually slightly higher.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby raasnio on Sun May 28, 2006 4:26 am

Hell yeah. 8)
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Theta on Sun May 28, 2006 10:17 am

Lurker Johnson wrote:
Theta wrote:

Seriously, what console war? The PS3 has been priced out if the market.

Try explaining that to ZZS, who still thinks the PSP is doing well and that the XBox 360 tanked. Unfortunately, there are enough idi...I mean, PSX fans who will buy this console even though it's $600 for the good one and there won't actually be any GAMES for it in November (all the "launch" titles are coming out after Christmas. Seriously.)

The question really becomes how each console does in the long term. I think the Wii and the XBox 360 are going to take most of the market, and apparently Sony thinks most gamers are going to buy all three systems...which is a pretty sharp turnaround from "We will crush you with a cock generated by our Blu-Ray Cell Processor gizmo thingie!"

Personally, I think it's a (pardon me) wee bit optimistic to assume gamers are going to drop $1100 on consoles ALONE before any games that might come out (apparently Sony really is going to rape you to the tune of $60.) I think it's more likely that hardcore gamers will get both and the casual gamers will split between a Wii and a 360, with the PS3 coming in third in the market.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Lurker Johnson on Sun May 28, 2006 12:13 pm

Theta wrote:"We will crush you with a cock generated by our Blu-Ray Cell Processor gizmo thingie!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby EWS on Sun May 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Repost from the locked thread.

Just want to point out the top price in Japan is 25000 Yen which is approximately $223 US.....I suspect the price will actually debut at $199 US based on their past track record....They merely state here it won't be over $250 but could be less. Plus Japanese prices are usually slightly higher.

Going by their track record, the Wii should hopefully be released cheaper then the GC. Every console they have released has been cheaper then the last!

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bean on Sun May 28, 2006 12:36 pm

What did the GCN start out at? $250?
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby EWS on Sun May 28, 2006 12:43 pm

I don't know. But it was £130 in UK I believe.

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bean on Sun May 28, 2006 2:32 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060526/bs_nf/43564

Officially $250!!

...Or not. News source looks pretty shitty to me.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun May 28, 2006 11:45 pm

EWS wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Repost from the locked thread.

Going by their track record, the Wii should hopefully be released cheaper then the GC. Every console they have released has been cheaper then the last!

If you factor in inflation then yes they are getting cheaper. If you just go by sticker price. The NES when it debuted in the US was $250 with that robot and the game that went with the robot....6 months later they revamped the package by scrapping the robot, adding SMB/Duck Hunt, and added the light gun and dropped the price to $200 (ie $199)....Since then every US debut price for a Nintendo console has been $200...

Bean wrote:What did the GCN start out at? $250?

$200 US....No games with one controller.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:55 am

Heads up on the hottest new Wii game - nay, the hottest game, period, exclamation point, semicolon, umlaut.

Because I love you, here's an exclusive preview image:

The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:58 am

Pure. Comedic. Gold.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Roybertito on Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:53 am

^^Win. And your signature's awesome too.
-Roy, Animation Addict

"Is it fear or courage that compels you, boy?" - Megatron, TRANSFORMERS (2007)

Roybertito
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:26 am

ANyone know when WII is to be released in the UK? Any idea of costings?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:32 am

Current rumours are of a global release date on the 6th of November. Even if they don't manage to get a simultaneous release, I imagine it will be available in the UK before Christmas, because they won't wanna miss the biggest time of year for the gaming economy.

DS and DS Lite hardware and software have been coming out in the UK not too long after the US etc, so I think we'll see it this year. Last thing I heard about price was that it will be £150 but I don't know if this has changed
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:47 am

Cheers this is the girl. Doesn't stop the fact that I WANT IT NOW!!!

Cheers duderino :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby EWS on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:59 am

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:28 am

How much? I cannae access the site... :(
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby EWS on Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:40 am

BBC.co.uk wrote:he Wii console from Japanese gaming giant Nintendo will cost under 250 euros (£170) in Europe, according to a senior executive at the company.

The figure is the first time the games giant has given a European price.

Bernd Fakesch, head of German operations at the company, mentioned the figure in an interview at the Leipzig Game Convention in Germany.

In May, the company said the console would cost 25,000 yen or lower in Japan and $250 (£133) or less in the US.

When it is released later this year, the Wii console will compete with Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3) and Microsoft's Xbox 360. No exact date for the Wii's launch has been given.

Long wait

The Wii console, formerly known as the Revolution, was unveiled at this year's E3 games expo in Los Angeles.

The console features a controller that looks like a TV remote control and uses motion sensors to allow gamers to use it as a tennis racket, sword or conductors baton, for example.

The price has not been decided yet, but I expect it to be ... less than 250 euros
Bernd Fakesch, Nintendo

Wii controller tested

At its launch no price or release date was set.

In May this year, the company released its financial results and confirmed the American and Japanese prices. It omitted a European price.

On Wednesday, Nintendo held a press conference at the Leipzig Games Convention titled "Wii prove our promise". Many industry observers expected Nintendo to confirm a European price and launch date at the event. It did not.

However, speaking to Reuters at the event Mr Fakesch said: "The price has not been decided yet, but I expect it to be ... less than 250 euros."

The price is considerably less than the cost of Sony's PlayStation 3, which will hit European shelves on 17 November this year.

A basic version of Sony's console with a 20GB hard drive will cost $499 (£266), while a premium model boasting 60GB of storage will sell for $599 (£320).

The exact price in Britain has not been announced but the head of Sony Computer Entertainment in the UK has suggested it could be around £425.

Pre orders of the next generation consoles are on offer for £550 ($1,020) at online shop, play.com.

Prices for Microsoft's Xbox 360, which went on sale last November, start at $299 in the US and £209 in the UK.

Both offerings from Microsoft and Sony boast more gaming power than the Wii.

But Nintendo says it aims to win over gamers with an affordable price and innovative titles.

The Japanese company hopes to sell 4 million consoles by the end of 2006.

This was also taken from Gamespot;

Gamespot wrote:
Wii "launch party" 11/17, details 9/14?

Source: An e-mail "Wii Launch Party" invitation posted on the Gaming-Age forums.

What we heard: Secrets are tough to keep in the gaming industry. Leaks, moles, and cocktail hours generally spill the beans on the juiciest details before they're intended to go public. It's a wonder, then, that the season's biggest secret, the release date of the Nintendo Wii, remains unearthed.

The latest bit of quasi-information on the system's launch comes via the message boards over at Gaming-Age. Melissa from Web show GameLife posted an e-mail (pictured--click to enlarge) she received from Nintendo that invited her to a Wii launch party in Los Angeles...on November 17.

The date is no doubt familiar to gamers as the day the PlayStation 3 launches, but is it also the day the Wii launches? By all accounts, it would appear so. So that's it, case closed, right?

Not so fast. As reported by several gaming sites, including game blog Kotaku, Nintendo is also holding an event in New York City on September 14 which will be hosted by Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. With Nintendo promising to release information on the console's price and release date in September, the smart money is that the NYC event will be the place the final details of the Wii are out of the bag.

But what of the Los Angeles event? Of course it could be the console's release date--after all, it is a launch party. But why would Nintendo make such a blatant error in sending out the information in a simple party invite rather than making an official announcement? The company is too smart to let something like that slip by.

Nintendo has insinuated that it plans to take the console on the road to prove its "Playing is Believing" slogan, so the LA party could be part of that tour and doesn't necessarily need to fall on the actual launch date--it could take place before or after. In fact, the rest of the invitation mentions the following: "These 'secret' parties will be held all across the globe to celebrate the worldwide release of the Wii..."

Something fishy is going on here (including the possibility of a Photoshop monkey hard at work nearby). Looks like we'll all have to wait until September to find out what Nintendo's up to.

The official story: Nintendo was unavailable for comment.

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus that Nintendo is planning some mega pre-launch (and launch) events, but likely bogus that November 17 is the launch day.

Microsoft did something similar in Britain with the 360 tour. The toured the 360 around the country, allowing people to play the games before they were relased. It was a great idea, and no doubt got people to finally decide that they were going to buy the game.

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:45 am

Cheers EWS. It costs slighty more than I imagined, but I reckon this console could really go places.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:48 am

What is wrong with games company's? Do they not udnerstand there market place anymore? WHy won' they give a release date? Sony still has sooo many differen out lets dishing out different prices and Xbox must be reaping the market! Even though I hear problems with its HD capablitites etc (is this true by the way? Does it have true HD coming from it? THe machine is noisy? I know three or four people who have had to get there replaced cos its broken already! And I don't even know that many people! ;-) )

I want a WII! As for Xbox and PS3 - its all up to PS3! I've seen Xbox - not overly blown away. Still waiting to se Next GEn graphics! But that might have been a bit much to ask for from a next gen console. I'm sure they're working up to it. So if they do it better than PS3 and have the same games and better exclusive ones (Halo) then I'll go with them!

I've said my piece people! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Games