Nintendo Wii Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Would you like to take a Wii?

Oui Wii
74%
Non Wii
4%
Don't care it'll be ass
6%
Don't care it'll be fried gold
15%

Total votes : 94

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:49 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Image

Hold freakin' hell....I want one. That is soooooo cool.

I'll be getting Resident Evil soon so I'm looking forward to getting that.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:51 am

Sweet! I dunno if I told you, but GH3 is £55 in HMV - I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else.

I think that gun can be bought on Amazon - I must have one to play RE: UC
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:47 pm

I prefer this one
Here's more
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:24 pm

King Psyz wrote:I prefer this one
Here's more

What about the analog stick?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:37 pm

*whimper*

I need it ALL. NOW!.

papalazeru

Postby King Psyz on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:52 pm

you plug the nunchuck into the bottom of the gun, which in some games I would rather not be moving my character with the same hand waving a gun.

Also, if you read in the comments on that thing, I already plan to make my own WiiCon gun.

I really hope I can pull it off. If I do I will totally start making them for a handfull of people here.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Can we have a game where you shoot Korean people... can they call it

Wiietcong!

:lol:

papalazeru

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:58 pm

junesquad wrote:So... question for the Wii owners. I've heard the Wii is amazing... at first, but then it looses it's appeal relatively quickly. Is this true?

I think it depends what you're using it for. If you're looking for the "hardcore" stuff like the GTAs, the Halos, the Gears of Warses, you're better off with the 360 or the PS3. The Wii, for me, is more about party games. Simple, easy and surprisingly competitive games that anyone from you to your mom could pick up and play. There are some awesome single-player games out for it and the GC as well, but the true strength of the system is the games built for the in-home multiplayer experience.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:00 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
junesquad wrote:So... question for the Wii owners. I've heard the Wii is amazing... at first, but then it looses it's appeal relatively quickly. Is this true?

I think it depends what you're using it for. If you're looking for the "hardcore" stuff like the GTAs, the Halos, the Gears of Warses, you're better off with the 360 or the PS3. The Wii, for me, is more about party games. Simple, easy and surprisingly competitive games that anyone from you to your mom could pick up and play. There are some awesome single-player games out for it and the GC as well, but the true strength of the system is the games built for the in-home multiplayer experience.

Meaning you have to have friends to truly take advantage of it.

:(
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:01 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

There... is that. :?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:02 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

Definitely.

My wife hates consoles/games etc. After a few hours of Wii sports at a friends house, we came home and ordered it. Her parents now come over and play Big Brain Acadamy, Wii sports, Ravin' rabbids.

They are talking about buying their own (yeah, right, good luck with that ;))
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:03 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

There... is that. :?

twas in jest ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:04 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

Does it run Widescreen even though it's not HD?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:07 pm

Yes you can set it up to do that.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:10 pm

That would be fun to throw on the new big screen we got last week. Even thought it wouldn't be 1080 or 720 it would probably still look decent.

I guess I should start looking for one.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:17 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:My wife hates consoles/games etc. After a few hours of Wii sports at a friends house, we came home and ordered it. Her parents now come over and play Big Brain Acadamy, Wii sports, Ravin' rabbids.

Man, Wii Sports and Rayman are all I have right now and I love the hell out of them both. Can't wait for Mario Party 8, and maybe even the Mario/Sonic Olympics game.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:19 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:My wife hates consoles/games etc. After a few hours of Wii sports at a friends house, we came home and ordered it. Her parents now come over and play Big Brain Acadamy, Wii sports, Ravin' rabbids.

Man, Wii Sports and Rayman are all I have right now and I love the hell out of them both. Can't wait for Mario Party 8, and maybe even the Mario/Sonic Olympics game.

It kills my wife that I have perfect rhythm on the dancing sections of Rayman :lol:
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:20 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:That would be fun to throw on the new big screen we got last week. Even thought it wouldn't be 1080 or 720 it would probably still look decent.

Actually the bigger the screen the worse it looks, but its not bad.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:21 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

I hear that Mario/Sonic is pretty good. Well worth a look if that's you're kind of game.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:23 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:That would be fun to throw on the new big screen we got last week. Even thought it wouldn't be 1080 or 720 it would probably still look decent.

Hmm. I've wanted one since release. I have a GC too with alot of games so it's great that it's backwards compatible.

SilentBobX wrote:I think all the 'red ring of death' stories have put me off getting a 360. On another note, after reading about the new Ghostbusters game, I'm psyched for it. A truly good, next gen game based on Ghostbusters is the one thing I've dreamed about since the end credits on GB2 rolled. It's coming out for all systems, too, which is cool as well.

Mahalo

HOLY SHIT. WII Particle Thrower! THat seals the deal.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:26 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Chairma n Kaga wrote:That would be fun to throw on the new big screen we got last week. Even thought it wouldn't be 1080 or 720 it would probably still look decent.

Hmm. I've wanted one since release. I have a GC too with alot of games so it's great that it's backwards compatible.

Don't throw away your GC controllers, they plug in to the Wii too.

In fact you may need them as the WiiMotes aren't compatible with all GC games.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:29 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Chairma n Kaga wrote:That would be fun to throw on the new big screen we got last week. Even thought it wouldn't be 1080 or 720 it would probably still look decent.

SilentBobX wrote:I think all the 'red ring of death' stories have put me off getting a 360. On another note, after reading about the new Ghostbusters game, I'm psyched for it. A truly good, next gen game based on Ghostbusters is the one thing I've dreamed about since the end credits on GB2 rolled. It's coming out for all systems, too, which is cool as well.

Mahalo

Lots of games that are accross all platforms have a lot of things disabled on Wii versions.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:36 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

I hear that Mario/Sonic is pretty good. Well worth a look if that's you're kind of game.

I played it and the game is net really well done. They do not explain how do play any of the games well and when you are playing them it is just luck of the draw if you do well. I was very disappointed in this Olympic game.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:38 pm

I've found that with a few Mario esk games of late. They just throw you in and say 'do it!!'. It's very odd if you ask me... what are nintendo playing at?

Thanks for the update Bob, it's a shame as it looks kinda cool but them's the breaks I guess.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:43 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Mahalo

Lots of games that are accross all platforms have a lot of things disabled on Wii versions.

So you mean no movement Wiimote based stuff then... :P
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:55 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Lots of games that are accross all platforms have a lot of things disabled on Wii versions.

So you mean no movement Wiimote based stuff then... :P

There will probably be that but it will probably be a cut down game content wise.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:59 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

I played it and the game is net really well done. They do not explain how do play any of the games well and when you are playing them it is just luck of the draw if you do well. I was very disappointed in this Olympic game.

That sucks. The Mario Party games have always been good abot explaining their controls before each mini-game and allowing a practice if you've never played before. That, and they're usually easy to pick up and play.

Mario/Sonic got a so-so review from Gametrailers.com. Honestly, I'm just biding my time for Mario Tennis and the new Mario Kart.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:02 pm

NEW MARIO CART?!?!?!!?!?!

Oh my how should I have forgotten about this....:(

What's that soccer Mario game like?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:06 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:What's that soccer Mario game like?

I've got the GC one and it's a blast. My buddy has the Wii version, and he tells me it has a lot of nice new features. I'll be getting it shortly.

The online multiplayer isn't supposed to be great, but, again, it's more about the party atmosphere.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:07 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

That sucks. The Mario Party games have always been good abot explaining their controls before each mini-game and allowing a practice if you've never played before. That, and they're usually easy to pick up and play.

Mario/Sonic got a so-so review from Gametrailers.com. Honestly, I'm just biding my time for Mario Tennis and the new Mario Kart.

Yeah the Mario Party games are great about explaining the rules and that was one of the reasons I was so disappointed with the game. Even my step daughter would not give it the time of day and she loves games like this...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:10 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Yeah the Mario Party games are great about explaining the rules and that was one of the reasons I was so disappointed with the game. Even my step daughter would not give it the time of day and she loves games like this...

Well, that says it all. If I see it for dirt cheap some day, maybe I'll pick it up. Otherwise, I'll just stick with the tried-and-true.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:34 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

Try getting your family on Mario Galaxy and see how spastic they look. It's frickin hard, even for a dextrous Mario enthusiast.

The comets add such a level of depth to the game it's incredible, trying to complete each stage with, a timelimit, fast monsters, less life etc.....There is no way you are getting kids to do half of this shit and they aint never going to get a chance because you spend all your time on it :lol:

papalazeru

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:41 pm

papalazeru wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

Try getting your family on Mario Galaxy and see how spastic they look. It's frickin hard, even for a dextrous Mario enthusiast.

The comets add such a level of depth to the game it's incredible, trying to complete each stage with, a timelimit, fast monsters, less life etc.....There is no way you are getting kids to do half of this shit and they aint never going to get a chance because you spend all your time on it :lol:

The comets can be tuff. I love it.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby monorail77 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:48 pm

I love my Wii.

I don't regard it as just a party console at all. Its got plenty for the hard core gamer. FPS's like RE:4 are fantastic. The point and shoot is much smoother than any analog stick controller could hope for. You are lethal with the Wii-mote.

Whedo et al. - you should try Metroid Prime 3, beautiful game, great adventure and good FPS too. I also tried Medal of Honor Heroes 2 and it has really amazing, intuitive FPS control. I highly recommend it. Zelda: Twilight Princess is also a great adventure and well worth your money.

Other hard core games include the Godfather (Blackhand edition) port and the Scarface: The World Is Yours port. Scarface is a total open world, sandbox type of game that I think is actually better than any Grand Theft Auto game so far. Its more coherent and a hell of a lot of fun.

I also recommend Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix for the Wii. Other console editions of this game are OK, but the Wii version has you moving your Wii-mote like a wand in specific patterns to cast specific spells. Its really fun and very immersive. Also, the world of Hogwarts is huge and fun to explore. Again, its fairly open ended, so you can do what you want. There are usually two or three tasks to complete at the same time, so you can do them in any order and also just screw around with mini-games and duels, collecting secret stuff, finding hidden passages, etc. Lots of fun.

Other games I have include: Pirates of the Caribbean (very fun, you wave the Wii-mote like a sword and perform combo moves); Spiderman 3 (again, combo Wii-mote moves for combat and its also fun web-slinging); Shrek the Third (combat for kids! mine like it, so do I); Ratatouille (I actually think this game is too hard, but my kids really like it); Madden NFL 08 (good sports game, very detailed); Farcry: Vengeance (decent FPS, but doesn't hold a candle to RE:4); Open Season (really horrible game, even for kids. Avoid)

I've got Super Mario Galaxy and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga hidden in my sock drawer until Christmas. Don't tell my kids, they'll be so surprised (yeah, right). Can't wait to play those. The co-op on Lego should be very fun. You can drop in and out of a game with a friend any time. Plus, you get to wave the Wii-mote like a lightsaber. But I hear not to expect too much from that - its basically just a wave; the motion you make isn't exactly copied onscreen, it just triggers a pre-done action by the character. Hopefully by the time The Force Unleashed is released for Wii, we'll have fully mapped lightsabre motion. That indeed would be sweet.

The Wii certain lacks behind the other consoles in terms of online multiplayer connectivity. I hear the Madden NFL online play is OK but I haven't tried it yet. There's also online play for Medal Of Honor Heroes 2, but I didn't try it (that was a rental for me). Personally, I haven't so far been into the whole online multiplayer thing, but I appreciate its appeal and if that's your thing, X-Box 360 has them all beat in spades.

The next big release will be Super Smash Bros. Brawl in February and that game just looks outstanding. There may also be some decent online multiplayer for that, but I'm not holding out hope that it will compare to any X-Box 360 online play offerings, like Halo or Call of Duty. Still, it looks to be amazing, over the top fun.

Also, I'm really interested in Wii-Fit. I've seen demo footage and looks really fun. Its a total departure as its not really a game. But that balance board it comes with could certainly be used for games and I hope some third-party developers take advantage of it.

Anyway, yes the party game/mini game aspect of the Wii is palatable, but its also a versatile enough system to support plenty of "hardcore" style games. As for graphics, I don't think anyone can argue that games like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 look absolutely beautiful and as good as anything on the other next-gen consoles. The Wii has limitations, but most developers aren't yet using its full potential either. Add to that the fact that Wii runs in widescreen and can also run 480p, and you've got a pretty sweet system overall.

Lastly, I gotta give a plug for Zack and Wiki. Great game with a very simple "point and click" adventure mechanic. Its not selling well (only 35,000 copies sold so far) but its a good game that deserves more attention. Buy it, so they'll make more like it. You won't regret it.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:52 pm

monorail77 wrote:Lastly, I gotta give a plug for Zack and Wiki. Great game with a very simple "point and click" adventure mechanic. Its not selling well (only 35,000 copies sold so far) but its a good game that deserves more attention. Buy it, so they'll make more like it. You won't regret it.

Zack and Wiki is awesome. That and Mario Galaxy are making the trip to my parents for my Christmas vacation.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:59 pm

I have been having a blast lately with my GF playing Raving Rabbids and Starwars The Complete Saga...just something about swinging a light saber with that wii-mote :)
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:06 pm

Thanks for the rundown, Mono!

I've got a number of games still to play through, including (Gamecube titles!) Tomb Raider: Legend and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, but after the holidays, when I'm looking to add a new title or two, I'm going to come back here and take a look at your list. I'm definitely getting RE4 and Super Mario Galaxy, and a friend has Metroid and a few others I might borrow.

Definitely looking forward to getting further "into" the system, y'know?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:32 pm

I missed the Gamecube era. There wasn't enought on there to warrant a buy but now I get to go back. Soul Calibur 2 is aweome and I'm playing through the entire Metroid series before working through some saps second hand copy of the wii version.

Give it up for trilogies.

Oh yes....and Smash Brothers. I have a feeling that TITG, LUGZ and I are going to be first in the English queue for those.

papalazeru

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:51 am

papalazeru wrote:Oh yes....and Smash Brothers. I have a feeling that TITG, LUGZ and I are going to be first in the English queue for those.

Oh man I cannot wait for that game. I am so gonna be in line for that!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby papalazeru on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:58 am

Edit: Movied to SUPER SMASH BROS OWN THREAD!!!!
Last edited by papalazeru on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

papalazeru

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:02 am

DO IT
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:11 am

papalazeru wrote:I missed the Gamecube era. There wasn't enought on there to warrant a buy but now I get to go back. Soul Calibur 2 is aweome and I'm playing through the entire Metroid series before working through some saps second hand copy of the wii version.

Give it up for trilogies.

Oh yes....and Smash Brothers. I have a feeling that TITG, LUGZ and I are going to be first in the English queue for those.

Yup! Sadly, we might be waiting for a very long time, if the latest reports are anything to go by

I've a buttload of old GC titles, I can recommend some if you like. Sadly, a lot of mine were imports which could be played using the Freeloader. Of course, with the online Updates, the big N have prevented the Freeloader from being used to play import GC games on the Wii. Most irritating, all it means is that I can't sell my GC.......ever.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:29 am

Paper Mario is a good game for GC
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:49 am

My favorites, that I still own, were F-Zero GX, Wave Race: Blue Storm, 1080: Avalanche, Metroid Prime and Echoes, and Wind Waker.

F-zero GX might be the toughest game I've ever played. When I finished it I was rewarded with 6 of the coolest race tracks in any racing game ever. It was a rare sense of accomplishment and to this day nothing touches the tracks from that game.

While I have Twilight Princess, I tend to enjoy Wind Waker just a bit more.

GC sure was fun. Even if it didn't have a big library of great games.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:13 pm

godzillasushi wrote:My favorites, that I still own, were F-Zero GX, Wave Race: Blue Storm, 1080: Avalanche, Metroid Prime and Echoes, and Wind Waker.

F-zero GX might be the toughest game I've ever played. When I finished it I was rewarded with 6 of the coolest race tracks in any racing game ever. It was a rare sense of accomplishment and to this day nothing touches the tracks from that game.

While I have Twilight Princess, I tend to enjoy Wind Waker just a bit more.

GC sure was fun. Even if it didn't have a big library of great games.

:shock: Sushi...?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Look at this lawnmower wii video. Virtual Reality/Headtracking enabled with the nintendo wii!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Pretty crazy, would be amazing to have for games. Imagine shooters where you could simply peak around a corner to find an enemy hidden behind it! Great stuff.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:34 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Look at this lawnmower wii video. Virtual Reality/Headtracking enabled with the nintendo wii!!!

Pretty crazy, would be amazing to have for games. Imagine shooters where you could simply peak around a corner to find an enemy hidden behind it! Great stuff.

That is freakin sweet [/Peter Griffin voice]

That needs to be incorporated into a game now!!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby monorail77 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:48 am

Evil Hobbit wrote:Look at this lawnmower wii video. Virtual Reality/Headtracking enabled with the nintendo wii!!!

That is amazing!! Johnny Lee is a God!!
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:03 am

monorail77 wrote:

That is amazing!! Johnny Lee is a God!!

Holy Shit!

Some developed has got to do that now. Imagine Metroid or anyother 3D shooter doing that.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:38 am

It wouldn't work for a full 3d shooter, it couldn't track if you turned your head too far, but something like umbrella chronicles would be cool.

Was it Time Crisis on the PS? An on rails shooter with a duck button? This would be better than a duck button!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

PreviousNext

Return to Games