Nintendo Wii Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Would you like to take a Wii?

Oui Wii
74%
Non Wii
4%
Don't care it'll be ass
6%
Don't care it'll be fried gold
15%

Total votes : 94

Postby EWS on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:05 am

Emm, had no problem with my HD Boba. There are some games that people are reporting having difficulty playing with when not played on HD (but the PS3 will suffer from this as well) with one being Kong and the other being Dead Rising. Apparently the text on DR is really small?

I find that people are expecting too much with the leap from this gen to the next gen. The graphics won't get much better, and the gameplay is going to stay the same. However, with the Wii they are trying to re-invent the gaming market with the Wiimote.

With the price tag, the PS3 is going to fail. The 360 is going to get stronger, and I think that the Wii will be #1 choice for the second-console.

Just thought I would add this to the topic. It was something I posted on another forum;

EWS from ps.com wrote:The Xbox360 failed a completly random drug test when it was caught with a banned substance in it's mainframe. The substance was some sort of steroid usually given to Elephants.

The PS3 however, was also caught doing some illegeal drugs. It was caught in the bathrooms snorting cocaine and also shooting heroin. As a result, it will now be selling itself at a completly over inflated price in order to pay for said habit.

The Nintendo console managed to pass every test, however rumours still abound that it was on some sort of drug, possibly Speed or some sort of Anti-Depressent, as it ran about the conference hall going "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiii" every day for the whole conference. Officials were to adminster a second drug test, and results will be available shortly.

I think it nicely sums up the different consoles!
monorail77 wrote:I officially vote EWS as way fucking coolest guy in the Zone

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
Remember, your new thread always belongs somewhere else!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MonsieurReynard on Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:16 am

The problem with Wii is that you build up all this anticipation, but then when you release it the joy is short lived.
Reynard City is back! Find out what the heck is going on at http://www.ecswebdesign.co.uk/wip/reynardcity/

*Free copy of Issue 1 *Reynard City Stories *An Audience With AK Girl and more...
MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:05 am

People expect TOO MUCH from next gen!!!????!!!!

What does next generation mean to you????

When I spend around £400 - £500 on a new console I expect a BIG step from my one curretnyl sitting in my room which I was quite happily playing last night! When I look at games on PS2 when it first came out to games and graphics now, they are very different! Its very impressive!!!

Now,a re you telling me that these games out on the consoles at the moment are SO FAR ahead of what the PS2 or Xbox could have pushed out that they are truely next generation!

To me it reaks of the companies wanting to push out another console to make mroe money. I'm not saying THEY'RE NOT BETTER, I'm sure they are. INfact I know they are! But Next Generation?

Not expecting too much???? When I save up and buy an expensive new console that sales it self as Next Generation... I expect a lot! I expect to be blown away and wonder if I've beamed to the future! I felt like that with games on the old consoles. The new ones... nothing yet...

I'm not against them... I want to get one... but people making excuses for greedy corporate giants is bullshit. Wii is the only true great reasons for new console. THe others hould have held off.

How many years between Xbox and Xbobx 360????

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:34 am

So according to the NYT the Wii is $250 and will launch Nov 19th, a little while after the PS3 launch.

Click here for more
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:52 am

....but if you follow the link to the reports from this morning's Live Conference, it would seem that the actual Japanese launch date is December 2, at 25,000 yen - that's acccording to Famitsu, anyway

I have to say, I was kinda hoping it would be sooner. Let's hope the go for a global launch, or at least a launch in other territories within a week of the Japanese one. After Sony's recent mess-up, I thought Nintendo might look to clean up the Xmas market. Giving people 3 weeks to buy the console isn't the best thing, mind you - I won't be sure until the date is officially accepted.

I like those Virtual Console prices though - $7 for a SNES game? Sweet.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:03 am

I could be wrong, but I think Nintendo has ruled out a worldwide launch.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby MonsieurReynard on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:04 am

The problem with the Wii is deciding whether you want one or need one, and at what price.
Reynard City is back! Find out what the heck is going on at http://www.ecswebdesign.co.uk/wip/reynardcity/

*Free copy of Issue 1 *Reynard City Stories *An Audience With AK Girl and more...
MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Pudie on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 am

I want one. I want it more then the other 2 for sure. And that price is more then ok with me.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby doglips on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:17 am

I've been loyal to Nintendo since the NES, so I'll be buying a Wii whatever the price tag.

Count me in for your Wi-Fi league TITG!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:37 am

Good stuff Dog - I'm hoping that there will be at least 4 of us buying it on or near release date.

MonsieurReynard wrote:The problem with the Wii is deciding whether you want one or need one, and at what price.

Not much problem for me there! I decided I wanted AND needed one about a year ago. And 25000 Yen is about £115, so I think it's fairly safe to say that it won't be more than £150 in the UK....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrSurvey on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:02 am

TITG, they said that it wasn't going to be anymore then £175 in Britain,
DrSurvey
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:15 am

Pudie wrote:So according to the NYT the Wii is $250 and will launch Nov 19th, a little while after the PS3 launch.

Click here for more

Awesome.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby MonsieurReynard on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:43 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Good stuff Dog - I'm hoping that there will be at least 4 of us buying it on or near release date.

MonsieurReynard wrote:The problem with the Wii is deciding whether you want one or need one, and at what price.

Not much problem for me there! I decided I wanted AND needed one about a year ago. And 25000 Yen is about £115, so I think it's fairly safe to say that it won't be more than £150 in the UK....

So you'll be at the front, bursting for a Wii then?

MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:06 am

DrSurvey wrote:TITG, they said that it wasn't going to be anymore then £175 in Britain,

And I say that it won't be more than £150. (truth is, we don't know yet)

More news coming through now

Most interesting thing about this article? This bit:

Meantime, Nintendo said it will embed various features in the Wii, including photo editing, 24-hour access to weather information, news programs and chat on message boards through Wi-fi connection, as it strives to entice new game players to Wii consoles.

Most annoying thing about the article? This bit:

Iwata, however, did not say when Wii will be launched in Europe and the US, neither did he disclose what the pricing there would be, but reiterated that the Wii game consoles will hit these markets in the fourth quarter this year.

'One thing for sure is that Wii will hit all stores before the Christmas sales season peaks,' Iwata said.

When he says "before the Christmas sales season peaks", what he apparently means is "a few days before Christmas". Ah well, at least we'll have it this year, which is more than I can say for the PS3....and yes Reynard, I will indeed be bursting for a Wii.

O'Neill: Sorry dude, I think the NYT rumour has been debunked now - unless they are planning on releasing it in the US before Japan. There would be riots in Tokyo if that happened, so I doubt it will.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrSurvey on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:24 am

Nintendo actually came out and said that it would not cost more then £175 in Europe however.

That's where we differ.
DrSurvey
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:47 am

We'll find out tomorrow about UK pricing & release dates apparently. There's some Nintendo Europe Event thing happening.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:50 am

Fried Gold wrote:We'll find out tomorrow about UK pricing & release dates apparently. There's some Nintendo Europe Event thing happening.

Nice - any links, FG?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:54 am

I heard about it on the Stuff magazine podcast.

Also link
link
and link.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:01 am

Excellent - wish I was invited!

My prediction is a UK release date of 09 December, and console price of £150, with bundles starting at £180-ish.

Of course, me making a prediction on a gaming issue pretty much guarantees that it won't happen.....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:15 am

I predicted on another board a possible street date in the US of October 11th.....Wednesday the 11th....W-11...Wii....With Nintendo's penchant for Wii marketing like logos featuring the controller forming the I's this seems like a golden opportunity.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:26 am

These are Times quotes.

Nintendo announced that Wii will launch in Japan on December 2, 2006 for JPÂ¥25,000

Nintendo will announce the American release of the console for November 19, 2006, at a price of $250.

Which, to me, suggests that in the UK the Wii will be released around Christmas for about £150. (unless some dodgy import/export thing screws it up)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:58 pm

I am putting this here to cause it's funny damn it
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:04 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:O'Neill: Sorry dude, I think the NYT rumour has been debunked now - unless they are planning on releasing it in the US before Japan. There would be riots in Tokyo if that happened, so I doubt it will.

Well, for the sake of international relations with Japan and the safety of her people, I'll wait an extra couple of weeks or so.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby King Psyz on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:16 pm

I'm hoping with this announcement, I can go pre-order one now.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:09 pm

God yes. I needs me one.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby papalazeru on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:35 pm

Just to put my vote of support into this.

I've already found a recipient for my left kidney and Im ready to sell.

I just hope the launch is soon because the 7 year old girl is going a very funny colour.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:41 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:O'Neill: Sorry dude, I think the NYT rumour has been debunked now - unless they are planning on releasing it in the US before Japan. There would be riots in Tokyo if that happened, so I doubt it will.

Well, for the sake of international relations with Japan and the safety of her people, I'll wait an extra couple of weeks or so.

I'm holding a knife and fork. I have in front of me a plate with some letters, and sentences and stuff on it. Basically, I'm gonna eat my words.

For the first time ever, The Big N have decided to release a console in the US before anywhere else. Presumably, it's to cash in on the pitiful number of PS3s that will be available. So, you lucky American bastards are getting it in November, just as the NYT said. Bastards BASTARDS!!!11!!

As for us UK chumps, the console will be coming out on December 8th. The first wave will be bundles - you won't be able to buy the console on its own for a couple of months. The bundled game is Wii Sports, and the packs will cost £179. Even though I was gonna get Wii Sports anyway, I still find this a tad cheeky of Nintendo. I was hoping for Zelda bundles, at the very least. Most people will also need to get a second controller, which will set you back £40. Games will be a similar price. Ah well, not the glorious arrival that I was hoping for, but at least now I know that I'll need to cobble together at least £260 in time for early December, in addition to buying Xmas presents, and presents for my godson and soon-to-be-born nephew *sigh* I just wish that I could reach New Year's Eve without being completely broke just ONCE.

More details are here
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:00 pm

Here's what I don't get, and help me if I'm mistaken.

Everyone has said how Sony has lost touch with such a high price point yadda yadda. But hasn't Nintendo now done the same?

Yes it's the most reasonably priced NEW console, yet doesn't bring anything new graphically to the table nor offer any other goodies (Like Blu Ray or DVD). It's priced at $250, which is about what the PS2 and XBox went for and were lambasted as being out of reach for casual gamers.

Then comes news of the price points for extra controllers and games. Now more so with the Nintendo, it looks like many games either require two controllers or two people or more to get the full experience. With an extra controller at $40, and the Dongle thing at $20, there's $60 a controller. You got 4 kids? welcome to an extra $200. Then the games will be at the $60 price point it seems which I recall Sony being lambasted for just last week.

Granted I am buying a Wii for the girlfriend's kid this Christmas as it's more kid friendly than his PS2 or the PS3, but I hate when companies try and pull one over like they're looking out for the little guy when in reality they just shuffle the numbers around to get the same profit margin as the other guys.

Being that PS controllers have been in the $20-$30 range, this new one might hit $35/$40 at first but will drop rapidly. But still less than $60, and that $60 doesn't include the price of say a Gamecube controller for some of the older games.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:11 pm

Sony Wireless controllers are $20 since when? You have to consider that the Wii's controllers are wireless, motion sensitive, rumble, and feature a speaker...$40 is hardly pricey. The nunchuck attachment though could be argued is too expensive. The other difference here is that unlike their competitors this undle comes with a game....a $40-$60 value depending already. So subtract the game price and the bundle is $200 with a $40 controller...So you get a system that runs for $160 vs when the PS2 was released at $250 with a $20 wired controller ie a $230 console...That seems like quite a differnece to me.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Order stuff:

http://www.play.com/Games/Wii/BROWSE/5-/GenreBrowse.html?searchstring=Hardware

Looks like you buy the remote and the chucka separately. And games look to be £40.

Personally, I'm don't usually buy new consoles. But that I'd be prepared to for that price.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:20 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Sony Wireless controllers are $20 since when? You have to consider that the Wii's controllers are wireless, motion sensitive, rumble, and feature a speaker...$40 is hardly pricey. The nunchuck attachment though could be argued is too expensive. The other difference here is that unlike their competitors this undle comes with a game....a $40-$60 value depending already. So subtract the game price and the bundle is $200 with a $40 controller...So you get a system that runs for $160 vs when the PS2 was released at $250 with a $20 wired controller ie a $230 console...That seems like quite a differnece to me.

Despite it's many and numereous features... you're missing my point. Yes that may mean alot to the gamer, but to the casual gamer or parent buying one it's still $60 for a fuckin' controller. And wireless remotes for PS2 are definately within the $20 range right now. But regardless, the point is wireless or not you need these controllers to opperate the system and if they're $60 a piece for the most common set up, that's a lot of dough 'round Christmas time for many folks.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:44 pm

King Psyz wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Sony Wireless controllers are $20 since when? You have to consider that the Wii's controllers are wireless, motion sensitive, rumble, and feature a speaker...$40 is hardly pricey. The nunchuck attachment though could be argued is too expensive. The other difference here is that unlike their competitors this undle comes with a game....a $40-$60 value depending already. So subtract the game price and the bundle is $200 with a $40 controller...So you get a system that runs for $160 vs when the PS2 was released at $250 with a $20 wired controller ie a $230 console...That seems like quite a differnece to me.

Despite it's many and numereous features... you're missing my point. Yes that may mean alot to the gamer, but to the casual gamer or parent buying one it's still $60 for a fuckin' controller. And wireless remotes for PS2 are definately within the $20 range right now. But regardless, the point is wireless or not you need these controllers to opperate the system and if they're $60 a piece for the most common set up, that's a lot of dough 'round Christmas time for many folks.

Obviously but shelling out extra money for controllers is nothing new especially with the shift from two to four controllers standard.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:30 pm

right, but not $60 each.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:46 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Order stuff:

Looks like you buy the remote and the chucka separately. And games look to be £40.

Personally, I'm don't usually buy new consoles. But that I'd be prepared to for that price.

Oh......FUCK. Can I assume from that link that we aren't gonna be able to buy the black one at launch? That's a real shame, cos I like my consoles like I like my men....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:48 pm

King Psyz wrote:right, but not $60 each.

You're argument is as specious as complaining that wireless and rumble controllers when first introduced were more expensive.....Duh they contain different tech.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:53 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Order stuff:

Oh......FUCK. Can I assume from that link that we aren't gonna be able to buy the black one at launch? That's a real shame, cos I like my consoles like I like my men....

I can't find anywhere which refers to other colours, not even on the Wii site. Looks like it's Ipod White only from launch.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:57 pm

Kaga and Psyz: I don't know if this affects what you're talking about really, but the basic Wiimote is being sold for a similar price to that of extra Cube controllers when the cube was first released. The difference is, this time you'll probably want to buy the nunchuck attachment which will push the price up to around 60 bucks, like you say...
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:58 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I can't find anywhere which refers to other colours, not even on the Wii site. Looks like it's Ipod White only from launch.

AAAARGH! I thought as much. I'm sick of bloody i-pod white
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:14 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Kaga and Psyz: I don't know if this affects what you're talking about really, but the basic Wiimote is being sold for a similar price to that of extra Cube controllers when the cube was first released. The difference is, this time you'll probably want to buy the nunchuck attachment which will push the price up to around 60 bucks, like you say...

Good point. Plus the Wii has 4 ports for old GC controllers...unless that was scrapped since the last specs.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:21 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:...unless that was scrapped since the last specs.

It better not have been! Surely not. Nah.

It better fucking not have been.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:27 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
King Psyz wrote:right, but not $60 each.

You're argument is as specious as complaining that wireless and rumble controllers when first introduced were more expensive.....Duh they contain different tech.

I understand it's different tech, I guess you're missing the point of my statement.

What I'm saying is, Nintendo is being lauded as having the most financially reasonable system. But when you factor in things like a $60 controller (and add another $20 if you want a game pad type controller for the older games and virtual console games) that adds up pretty quickly.

So let's say that someone has 4 kids right?

Wii: 250
extra controllers: 120
nunchucks: 80
game pads: 80
-------------------------
total system minus extra games: 530
no DVD or Blu Ray player incl. but includes online accesability

PS3: 499 (we're talking price point shoppers not gamers)
extra controllers: 120 (speculative but in line with past pricing)
-------------------------
total system minus extra games: 619
with DVD/BluRay player and online accesability incl.

XBOX 360(or 1.5 for the cynics): 299 (again price point consumers)
extra controllers: 150 (based of wal*mart pricing)
--------------------------
total system minus games: 449
w/ DVD incl. paid online access avail., high def DVD with accessory

So in reality, XBOX 360 is winning the price wars for most families. The problem will come when Microsoft has geared more towards 20 somethings and FPS gamers. Without as many family fare games as Nintendo or Sony (including backlogs) hard to say who will pull out in the end.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:43 pm

How many extra controllers are you factoring in for each? I mean for the Wii $120 is 3 $40 controllers right...So you would only need 3 $20 nunchucks....thus $60 for nunchucks. Or did you mean something else?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:45 pm

From what I understand the core system isn't including the nunchuck or game pad, just the standard controller. I could be mistaken, but granted that's still only $20 less than the total I gave.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:05 pm

So why aren't you factoring in the game? Add $60 to each other system since they are bundling the game unlike Micro or Sony. From the pre releases yesterday they are bundling in the nunchuck but not the classic controller.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:13 pm

The core bundle does include a nunchuck:

"Included with every Wii console is one wireless Wii Remote, one Nunchuk, and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disk which anyone can play using simple physical movements."
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:29 pm

'tis true, FG.

And I'm amazed at the price difference in the 360 between the US and the UK. Over here, the console on its own will cost 300 pounds, whereas I can set myself up with a Wii, extra controller, extra nunchuk and a game for 260 pounds, so it will definitely be the cheapest console in UK terms
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:11 pm

OH YES! We have a date!

Christmas debut for Wii in Europe

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will be available when Wii launches
Nintendo's Wii console will launch in Europe on 8 December reveals the games firm.

At launch, Nintendo expects the console to cost 249 euros (£179) and will come bundled with the Wii Sports series of games.

The first games for the console will go on sale at prices between 49 and 59 euros (£34-£39 in the UK).

Nintendo said about 20 games would be available on launch date including The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Price comparison

The launch price confirms information Nintendo let slip in August that the Wii would cost less than 250 euros when it launched in Europe.

British gamers will pay a slight premium for the console because, at current rates, 249 euros translates to about £168. Shops will begin taking pre-orders for the console from 16 September, Nintendo said.

The price is much lower than the rival Xbox 360 game console which is on sale in the UK for about £279. The PlayStation 3 is not due to launch in Europe until 2007 and early reports suggest it could cost more than £500.

With the Wii console Nintendo is hoping to win fans among people who rarely or never play games. In a bid to make it easier to play, on-screen actions are performed using a motion-sensitive controller.

Nintendo said four million consoles would be available by the time the first launch date arrives.

In early September Nintendo revealed that the console would go on sale in the US on 19 November about two weeks before its Japanese launch.

The Australian launch is due to take place on 7 December.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonsieurReynard on Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:50 pm

Nicely done Nintendo- in ahead of Sony, cheaper than Microsoft. Shazam!

MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby papalazeru on Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:18 pm

Christmas time...mistle toe and wine....children singing.....

"WE WANT THE FUCKING WIIIII!"
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:25 am

Not long ot go now!!

A positive review of the console from a non-gamer

Won over by the world of Wii?
By Rebecca Morelle
BBC News

When I told my brother I was heading to Slough - he was rather jealous.

Not because he had a great desire to see the Brunel bus station, but because I was getting a preview of the Nintendo Wii.

"Why are they sending you - you don't 'do' videogames," he - a dedicated gamer - said over the phone.

"Ah young Daniel," I replied, "that's exactly the point."

The Wii, due out in Europe on 8 December, is being promoted as something any member of the family can pick up - a console that "will introduce new people to the world of videogames".

So, armed with virtually zero gaming knowledge, I headed to Nintendo's offices to see if the Wii could win over a videogame-phobe.

I was led into a special gaming room and set in front of a small box, a screen and given a remote that was hooked around my wrist.

Despite its silly name, the Wii looked good - the console was white and sleek, and, if I was judging purely on appearance, I wouldn't be averse to one sitting in my living room.

But the characters lurching around on the screen looked decidedly peculiar. The game, I was told by Nintendo's Amerie Bagnariol, my patient host, was WarioWare: Smooth Moves and would be a good introduction to the Wii handset.

Instead of pressing buttons or moving a joystick to direct what was going on onscreen, the Wii remote is controlled by physical movement - you can jab it, wave it, wiggle it or twist it about in the air.

So move about I did. The completely bizarre game, big in Japan according to Amerie, entailed carrying out mini-tasks, such as high-fiving a puppy, shredding some paper, bursting a balloon, all for reasons I couldn't quite fathom.

And as I stood in the room, holding the remote and desperately hula-hooping, I couldn't help thinking this was more like ritual humiliation than something supposed to be fun.

But still, even if I did look like an idiot, I was getting the hang of the remote - it was a bit weird to handle at first but straightforward enough.

Wii Sports, which is free with the console, came next. Here, I had a go at tennis, 10-pin bowling and golf, miming the swoop of a tennis racket, hurl of a bowling ball and swipe of a club with the remote.

I was doing badly - more down to a lack of sporting ability than because they were hard to play - so I thought I would release my aggression with a spot of boxing.

For this, an additional control, called a "nunchuk", was attached to my left hand, allowing me to jab, hook, block and dodge, until my opponent gave me a hefty clunk to the head and my character fell to the floor.

So much for gaming being a sedentary activity - all of the jumping about was rather tiring.

I also tried my hand at carrying out an operation in Trauma Centre, and gripped the remote like a steering wheel for another title called Excite Truck.

So far, so OK - but I still wasn't convinced gaming was for me.

And then I met Link, in the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Maybe it was the cute outfit he was wearing, or perhaps it was the fun of using the remote to swipe a sword or ping an arrow, or the fact that there was some kind of narrative to what was going on that made my videogame scepticism lift.

It was definitely the game that required the most skill - using the controller to direct an arrow into an enemy's head needed excellent hand-eye coordination - but, despite this, it was probably one that I'd invest the most time trying to get the hang of.

Converted?

So, has the Wii converted me to the word of gaming?

I'm not sure I am completely won over. Playing the games was fun, and I would like to have another go on Zelda, but I'm not sure I would spend £179 for a console of my own.

However, if my brother were to become a Wii-owner, the next time he suggested a game, rather than turning my nose up, I might just be tempted to pick up the remote.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Games