Nintendo Wii Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Would you like to take a Wii?

Oui Wii
74%
Non Wii
4%
Don't care it'll be ass
6%
Don't care it'll be fried gold
15%

Total votes : 94

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:50 am

I pre-ordered one from Argos at the weekend. They're the only shop telling you exactly what package you'll get for your money.

Comet/Currys/Toysrus/Game still seem unsure of what to expect and yet charge you for pre-ordering.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:16 pm

I eventually decided to pre-order through GAME - even though I hate that shop and it seems to be exclusively staffed by fuckwits. Even though they do ask for a £20 deposit (which is fully refundable if you change your mind), I didn't mind so much, because I bought a GAME gift card, which lets me chuck money on it whenever it takes my fancy. So for the last couple of paydays I've been loading at least £60 onto it, and now I've saved enough to buy the console, and I've hardly even noticed the money disappearing, because I've been able to do it gradually.

The latest issue of Edge has a Wii guide in it - doesn't tell us much new info, but it did mention that the Wii Shopping Channel won't be available to UK users at launch, which is a bit of a pisser for those of us interested in buying Virtual Console games. It also says that VC games will only be available if they were also sold in the host country on the original format – so no Chrono Trigger for us UKers :cry:. I'm hoping that they'll eventually see sense and make all VC games available in all territories. I'm a bit peeved that there will be no online titles for a few months after launch – that seems like a stunning oversight on Nintendo's part, but as long as they get a few out there before the launch of PS3, I'll be happy enough. I'm patient, I can bide my time on that *taps foot so furiously that he makes a hole in the carpet*

Too bad none of you play Pokémon….

Anyway, here's a promo image for the Virtual Console, for anyone interested!

ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:06 pm

Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess new trailer is over on youtube, better check it out before it gets removed.

looks aboslutely brilliant! I love that they went with something closer to the 64 version of the game versus that Windwaker version I just couldn't get into. And I think I remember reading that this is not being released for gamecube anymore but rather only for Wii.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:18 pm

Aaargh - curse my stoopid work PC that won't let me watch youtube vids!

I'll check it out this evening. I hadn't heard that about the game no longer being available for the GC. It seems unlikely, but then again, a lot of fanboy purists were saying that they were going to buy the GC version because that was the original destination for the game. I don't really care. I'm definitely gonna buy the game, but not for a month or two after it comes out - I can't flash the cash around too much, and there are other games which I want more for the multiplayer experience. WarioWare is probably top of my list, followed by Trauma Centre. Fortunately, at least one of my friends is also getting it on launch day, so we are going to pool our games collection at first. But he wants Red Steel or Project Hammer, so looks like we'll be biding our time over Zelda.

Still pissed off that I won't be battling other Zoners online for a few months.

Even more pissed off that you USA-ers will get the damned console THIS MONTH. You fuckers.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:22 pm

OH ITS GOOD OH ITS GOOD OH ITS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:30 pm

Nope the GC version of Zelda was merely pushed back till after the Wii release not cancelled outright.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:28 pm

well I thought I was pretty sure on the game only being for Wii, but my brain doesn't always work right so I suppose I could have read that wrong. Or maybe this was just wishful thinking on my part

Sorry about that! I guess I should stick to movie trailers :?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:54 pm

So, I've just been told that all my Gamecube games can now be played on a the Wii!! Absolutely ZERO reasons for me not to buy one now!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby doglips on Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:42 pm

tfactor wrote:Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess new trailer is over on youtube, better check it out before it gets removed.

looks aboslutely brilliant! I love that they went with something closer to the 64 version of the game versus that Windwaker version I just couldn't get into. And I think I remember reading that this is not being released for gamecube anymore but rather only for Wii.

FUCK YEAH! Can't wait to get my paws on that.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:33 pm

I've pre-ordered GT Pro with my Wii. It comes with a steering wheel shell for the remote control. And I'm a sucker for peripherals.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:40 am

MasterWhedon wrote:So, I've just been told that all my Gamecube games can now be played on a the Wii!! Absolutely ZERO reasons for me not to buy one now!!

On top of that (unless they scrapped it) te Wii has 4 GC ports on it to use the old GC controllers.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:59 am

Hey Guys,

Quick question. Does anyone know if there's a official launch in London the day the Wii comes out???
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:07 am

I've been trying to find that out myself.

The person in my local GAME store said they were considering a midnight opening on the night of the 7th, but I dunno if that's what you're asking about or not
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:15 am

Hopefully I will get to test drive a Wii in a couple of weeks time. My friend, who is a game developer, has one already and is coming to visit. Just as well as there is no way I will be able to afford one on launch day. :cry: Christmas funds are more pressing. Why can't free range turkeys be cheaper?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:25 am

Damn, that is a good friend to have, Dog! I'm hoping to sample one in the next month too - apparently, they will be setting up demos all over the place. There is one at the Good Food Show this weekend, I'm wondering how I can blag my way into that. Anyway, there's a list of promotional displays coming up here - but there will also be plenty of demos in places like GAME and HMV, so keep your eyes peeled!

Some other details about the launch are here
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:41 am

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised that there isn't a red carpet launch kinda thing. Projectors showing gamers doing there thing on the new machine, no lines to play; lovely ladies with plush Mario and Yoshi heads, wearing bikinis and heals; champagne served to me by Hugh Heffner...... <ahem>... sorry I just faded out there for a minute. Yeah…. Anything would be great!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:55 am

MonkeyM666 wrote: Projectors showing gamers doing there thing on the new machine, no lines to play; lovely ladies with plush Mario and Yoshi heads, wearing bikinis and heels;

I think the big N are trying to consciously move away from that sort of thing. Their Wii promo will be all about how "real" people can pick up and play its games. At the recent industry demo in the Docklands, they apparently had people doing game demos who had never played a console before that day. 60 year old mothers and stuff like that.

Their strategy has been impeccable this time around; let Sony and Microsoft fight over the specs-obsessed "hardcore" gamers (who think good graphics are a sign of a "grown-up" machine), while the Wii will be bought by everybody else: women, older people, younger people, and adult males with jobs and relationships who don't have 6 hours a day to devote to gaming :wink:
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:47 am

TiTG! I was only thining of you yesterday.... wondering where you have been you crazy mofo! Or wondering where I have been! I know not the answer to neither! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:01 am

He's been reading every press release that Nintendo has eversent out!

And that's why they'll keep going strong. Inovation is Key these days... I'm glad the new CEO gets that.

very nice comments by the way Girl, you seem to know heaps about it.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:47 pm

does anyone know if Katamari will be coming to the Wii??????? Now that would be mum slaping fun!!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:15 pm

Even though the format of the game seems tailor-made for the Wii, it's unlikely, since they announced that Me and My Katamari was to be the last ever title in the series.

The Japanese website now only carries a farewell message.....

However, if (when) the Wii replicates the runaway success of the DS, Namco might have a rethink.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:19 pm

arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggg NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but we Katamari.... I'll have to get a PSP now.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:45 am

Just seen my first televised trailer for the wii.

I'm selling a kidney then having myself frozen in ice until it comes out, I can't be bothered with waiting outside the store.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:09 am

I know, I take great pleasure in telling people about it.... the expression on there faces is always priceless.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:25 am

just in case you weren't convinced enough

Call Of Duty on WII

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6nIIb7aYH8U
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:28 am

Don't tease!!! Oh why don't I own a TV.... damn stupid London. That'll teach me for moving over here and living in a squat. Doh!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:29 am

Anyone know if there'll be a demo Wii's set up in ol' London town for loosers like my self to play?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:33 am

Im sure there wiill be, TiTg is usually pretty resouceful on that stuff

Where bouts in London are you?

You coming to the meet up next weekend?
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:38 am

Elephant & Castle.... in an old clapped out pub.

The movies? I want to but I am yet to be paid.... it's been a few months. I think I was asking questions the other day. it's like £9 yeah?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:15 am

DUDE! I used to live in Elephant and Castle! The E&C baby! Moved out in 2004, I think, could have been 2003 - best move I ever did! However it was agreat experience! And I didn't find E&C to be all that scummy... well.... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:22 am

I used to have to go through there to an ex's of mine back near ten years ago... is it as still as fucking scary now as it was then?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:48 am

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iii!

3 weeks tomorrow!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:52 am

BOO-YA!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:21 am

It's not really that Scary... the Tube stop is the worst bit I can see but what train station doesn't attract dodge.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:23 am

The place I live is the dodge one. An old pub that's due to be demolished in Feb. Imagine Shawn of the Dead but a crappier pub and you'll be the vibe.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:46 am

Ohhh is it the one with the playing cards as its pub sign?

The "rat run" underneath the E&C is the scariest bit!

But I didn't mind it there!

I went to a dodgy shaun of teh dead meets Nil By Mouth pub when Iw as there, right round the corner from my house... last time I visited it was shut down - is that where you are squatting? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:14 pm

If it was called the Arch Duke Charles then yes.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:15 pm

And I bloody hate doing through those underground walkways. The colourful painings on the walls just make it that much more creepy when your stumbling home late one night.

THE BUMS>>>THE BUMS ARE ATTACKING ME WITH THERE SHOES!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.......... ........
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:22 pm

So anyone else packing their car to camp out in front of Best Buy this weekend?

I just called my local store and they said clsoe to a hundred people are already in line for the PS3 which is being released tomorrow morning. And people started lining up for the PS3 yesterday afternoon.

So tomorrow immediately after work, we are heading to best buy and the waiting game begins.

to be continued...
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:29 pm

T - words cannot express how jealous I am at this moment......

I can't wait till the first online games start coming out - then, the true Zone War shall begin!!!!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:45 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:just in case you weren't convinced enough

Call Of Duty on WII

My head just exploded from the coolness. I only have a few seconds before my hands loose . . .

<collapses on the ground, dead>
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Nintendo Wii Thread

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:05 pm

I divert you to this artical!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061116/ap_on_hi_te/nintendo_s_wii_challenge

The wii will wii all over both systems.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby so sorry on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:16 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:

Call Of Duty on WII

My head just exploded from the coolness. I only have a few seconds before my hands loose . . .

ugh.
that controller for te Wee looks too hard to use. I mean physically hard! All you guys are going to hav Popeye forearms after a year.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:28 pm

tfactor wrote:So anyone else packing their car to camp out in front of Best Buy this weekend?

I just called my local store and they said clsoe to a hundred people are already in line for the PS3 which is being released tomorrow morning. And people started lining up for the PS3 yesterday afternoon.

So tomorrow immediately after work, we are heading to best buy and the waiting game begins.

to be continued...

I know someone that works a Walmart. Wii are soooo getting one. See you online Trev...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby tfactor on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:38 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:T - words cannot express how jealous I am at this moment......

I can't wait till the first online games start coming out - then, the true Zone War shall begin!!!!

Thanks! But I don't know how envious my position will be by saturday night around 3-4am but I'll try to get some good pictures & a video or two. The best part about this little weekend adventure is; it was all Athena's idea! seriously I'm married to the coolest chick on the planet ever EVER! :D

I can't freaking wait! We're packing the portable DVD player and the full box of civil war comics we need to ketchup on. can't even focus on work, too excited!

So are you guys going to get the heavily active Warioware: Smooth Move? That Zelda and Wii Sports are the main games we're talking about getting, what are you guys planning on getting?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:03 pm

Call Of Duty on WII

My god.

You get to e-choke Germans....and row yourself onto the beaches.....and e-punch Germans.....and......my god.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm sure you guys've already said it in one form or another, but how awesome would the eventual Star Wars Jedi game be using those controls to swing a lightsaber and performing force moves on Storm Trooper bitches?!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:01 pm

so sorry wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:

Call Of Duty on WII

ugh.
that controller for te Wee looks too hard to use. I mean physically hard! All you guys are going to hav Popeye forearms after a year.

Dude, most of us spend a good part of the day on the internet... we already HAVE popeye forearms. :wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:24 pm

Just got a Wii this afternoon. It's good to have a roommate who's press. :D

If I get a chance to play it/watch it being played, which is looking doubtful at this point, I'll try to post some thoughts later tonight.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby wonkabar on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Death to Sony
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

PreviousNext

Return to Games