Nintendo Wii Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Would you like to take a Wii?

Oui Wii
74%
Non Wii
4%
Don't care it'll be ass
6%
Don't care it'll be fried gold
15%

Total votes : 94

Postby moose4787 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:53 pm

I have 3 wiis sitting in my living room, each up on ebay approching $600
Xbox live profile: Moose4787
moose4787
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:48 pm

moose4787 wrote:I have 3 wiis sitting in my living room, each up on ebay approching $600

You Wii'd in your living room.
Sick.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:46 am

moose4787 wrote:I have 3 wiis sitting in my living room, each up on ebay approching $600

You sir are the reason why I hate this country.

At times.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Vicarious on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:56 am

Banned.

Fuck you.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:02 am

i hope someone breaks into your place and rips them off tonight. putz.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:07 am

Vicarious wrote:

Banned.

Fuck you.

Can anyone ACTUALLY ban this fruit?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby The Thin Man on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:22 am

Why do people buy them on ebay? If you wait a couple of months you will be able to pick one up in a shop for the correct price. My nephew wanted an xbox 360 last christmas but couldn't get one so he waited till January and not only got one at the proper price but got a free game thrown in. I honestly believe that all the companies manufacture a shortage because all those shots of people queueing gets them free publicity on the news. It makes their product look desirable.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:47 am

Very true comments on the previous page. The cross platform release of games (which happens in 90% of products these days) will mean that the PS3 will not be running at 100% for a whole heap of games. I mean think about it, if you had a product that was ready to be released for one system (say 360) would you go and redesign some of the core coding to use the PS3 at it's full potential, espically when it'll probably look a little better then the 360 just due to the GPU. I wouldn't...

Just returning to HD for a small moment. Rupert Murdock is really pissed in Australia (his home) due to the government pushing HD, and not multi channeling like he wanted (and every other TV network in Australia). The anaglogue feq. that will be available in 2012 (we're so far ebhind the UK and US) in Australia are being sold to the Japanese military (well some of it is). Murdock is the most restricted in the country of his birth. Cross ownership laws are pretty strict in OZ.

Digital TV is something that needs to happen. Consumers are very quality consious (ever since the advent of DVD's) these days and crappy reception is something that is just not being tolerated anymore. Along with the asethic choices, the thing is that those freq. are just waiting to be used by other technology. Bluetooth is basically short wave radio, massive new telescope arrays, etc. It gives the consumer what they want (quality)while providing fast cash (selling the freq. rights), and allowing for further R&D.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:34 am

IGN have a video review of Twilight Princess

http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748589/vids_1.html

This is just getting silly now, i just CANT wait any longer!!!!!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:46 am

oooooooooooooo...... I gotta check that shit out....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:48 am

I have to say, the UK list of launch titles isn't as great as I was expecting - having no Excite Truck is bad enough, but no WarioWare or Trauma Centre? This changes my plans for launch day, because I was planning on making those two my first purchases. So I've had a bit of a rethink, and I've decided that instead of buying an extra controller and nunchuck separately, I'm just gonna buy the nunchuck and get Wii Play, which come bundled with a controller. This way I get to play with a total of 4 games from Day One.

So it's now highly likely that I'll buy Zelda straight away, and I need to decide on one other game - at the moment I'm leaning towards either Rayman or Call of Duty. I'd be happy enough with either of those, based on videos and reviews I've seen so far. I just can't help feeling slightly negative about it, since it looks to me that Nintendo are giving breathing space to certain games because they are worried that the market place isn't big enough - I mean, I was looking forward to getting a decent FPS and some minigame action on launch day - and I'll still get it, but instead of Metroid Prime and WarioWare I'll have to get my kicks from the (possibly) inferior likes of Red Steel/COD/Splinter Cell and Rayman: Raving Rabbids. Obviously I'm still super-pumped about getting one (18 days to go!), I just suspect that the UK launch titles have been subject to some last-miute tinkering designed to make consumers fork out more cash over the first few months of the console's life. This is probably the most negative thing I've had to say about the console since I first saw it!

Other possibilities for launch day are Blazing Angels and Far Cry Vengeance - I'd been interested to hear from any USA-ers who bought the console yesterday - I hope tfactor and Athena managed to get hold of one, and hopefully film some footage for the sake of The Zone in the process!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:06 am

Am I going nuts or is it just wishful, deluded thinking on my part or is Zelda a release title?
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:44 am

colonel_lugz wrote:Am I going nuts or is it just wishful, deluded thinking on my part or is Zelda a release title?

Yeah, Zelda is a release title.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:46 am

Logan5 wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:Am I going nuts or is it just wishful, deluded thinking on my part or is Zelda a release title?

Yeah, Zelda is a release title.

Thank fuck for that

Sorry, brief moment of panic, please resume normal service
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:17 am

/initiates indiscriminate nintendo assasination mode

WII USERS LIKE TO PLAY WITH THEMSELVES AND ARE GHEY!

/disables indiscriminate nintendo assasination mode

That is all. You may continue.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:49 am

Properly confirmed UK Wii release titles:

Rayman Raving Rabbits
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
Monster 4x4
GT Pro Series
Zelda
Cars
Need for Speed Carbon
Red Steel
Call of Duty 3
Super Fruitfall
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:56 am

It's gonna have to be Zelda and COD3 for me

fuck the inevitable financial backlash!!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:09 pm

I left off 'Wii Play' off that lift. It comes with a Wii remote.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:27 pm

FG that list is tiny - I'd be crapping myself if those were the only confirmed titles at this point. The list I have (confirmed by Nintendo) has a slightly more respectful 23 games on it:

1) The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess
2) Wii Play (including Wii Remote)
3) Call of Duty 3 (Activision)
4) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Activision)
5) Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam(Activision)
6) Madden NFL 07 (EA)
7) Need For Speed: Carbon (EA)
8) Happy Feet (Midway Games)
9) Rampage: Total Destruction (Midway Games)
10) Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Sega)
11) Gottlieb Pinball Classics (System 3)
12) Super Fruit Fall (System 3)
13) Cars (THQ)
14) Barnyard (THQ)
15) Spongebob Squarepants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (THQ)
16) Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII (Ubisoft)
17) Far Cry Vengeance (Ubisoft)
18) GT Pro Series (Ubisoft)
19) Monster 4x4 World Circuit (Ubisoft)
20) Open Season (Ubisoft)
21) Rayman Raving Rabbids (Ubisoft)
22) Red Steel (Ubisoft)
23) Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent (Ubisoft)

...while these are the European Virtual Console launch titles:

NES

Baseball
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Ice Hockey
Mario Bros.
Pinball
Soccer
Solomon's Key (Tecmo)
Tennis
The Legend of Zelda
Urban Champion
Wario's Woods

SNES
Donkey Kong Country
F-Zero
SimCity

N64
Super Mario 64

SEGA MEGA DRIVE
Sonic the Hedgehog
Altered Beast
Golden Axe
Columns
Gunstar Heroes
Ecco the Dolphin
Space Harrier II
Toe Jam & Earl
Ristar
Dr. Robotonik's Mean Bean Machine

Turbografx (PC Engine)

Bonk's Adventure
Super Star Soldier
Victory Run
Bomberman '93
Dungeon Explorer

...it's exactly the same as the US list, except we get the Rare classic Donkey Kong Country - IN YOUR FACE, YANKS!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:33 pm

That virtual console stuff is really neat. If I didnt own most of those already for older consoles, id be all over it. I think I might pick up a Wii this week if I come across one. I like Excite Truck.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:50 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:FG that list is tiny - I'd be crapping myself if those were the only confirmed titles at this point. The list I have (confirmed by Nintendo) has a slightly more respectful 23 games on it:

I knew more games would be available fairly soon, but those were the ones I was told were available on the day of launch - which did seem small, so it's good there will be more.

I'm still at a loss to know how stuff like Madden and Fifa will work.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Nintendo Wii Thread

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:53 pm

So, anyone who has the thing.

How dose it play?

Any glitches?

is there a limited amount of room to move the wii mote?

Are the games any good?

I MUST KNOW!

(as i plan on dropping $300 in a couple of weeks for one of these)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:54 pm

So we're playing the Wii around the office. Got LoZ:TP, Red Steel, and the Wii sports that came with the system. Red Steel was right crap. We played TP for 20 minutes and it never required the motion controller. It was just talking to people and herding goats, plus it played just like a Gamecube game. I'm sure it got more Wii-like once you got a sword, but who knows when that happens. We got bored and turned it off.

Wii Sports, however, was fucking fantastic and effectively halted work for an hour or two.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:48 pm

So the more I've played the Wii today, the happier I am that I didn't buy one. It's kinda fun, yeah. A nice diversion. But not something I'd run home and lose myself in for hours upon hours. Seems like another "wait and see" console.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:18 pm

The Ginger Man wrote: A nice diversion. But not something I'd run home and lose myself in for hours upon hours.

That cinches it for me. It's right up my alley then. I wanted something that was easy to pick up and put down without becoming invested in hours of gameplay.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Nintendo Wii Thread

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:26 pm

Fuck fuckety fuck fuck!!

I had a chance to pick one up but my fucking bank didnt clear my pay check in time!

BASTARDS!!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby wonkabar on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:45 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:So the more I've played the Wii today, the happier I am that I didn't buy one. It's kinda fun, yeah. A nice diversion. But not something I'd run home and lose myself in for hours upon hours. Seems like another "wait and see" console.

Yeah, and you can bet Microsoft is now working on there own version of the Wiimote like Sony quickly tried (and failed) to do....rumble is a must have. I just wish Nintendo had invested more in graphics and online play. I mean, I don't know if if I need another DVD player or HD. While the graphics are on the same level as the original XBOX... I already have one. They could have gone a little further with them and still kept the price low. That would have been the tipping point for me. I am interested in virtual-console too, but then again there's XBOX LIVE arcade. It would be nice to have all those old Nin-games and Turbo-grafix though...then again there's Gears of War. There's also the issue of memory with Wii. But then again it's cheap. Hmmm, where do the dollars go this holiday season? I'd love to get both (definitely over a PS-3 for now) but I don't think I have the funds. The question is which to get first. The Wiimote looks fun as hell, but so does 360-LIVE. Tough call.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:37 am

The porr porr wii.... the games arn't being that well received by the press, and I've heard that the controler speaker sounds cheap and nasty.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still want one though, Mario Galaxy looks kick ass, as well as that surgry game. Looks like there's a lot of shit launch titles out there, I'm just waiting for metriod, Zelda (why did they start developing it for the cube... I beleive that although it's better by far then it ever could have been on the cube, it still has that taste in it's mouth.... anyone hear anything about it??)

I do have a question about all the systems though. Will there be firmware/software/driver upgrades that you download from the respective sites?

If so I'm excited because I know how my my PC used to work shit loads better (in some updates) afterwards.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:42 am

MonkeyM666 wrote: I'm just waiting for metriod, Zelda (why did they start developing it for the cube... I beleive that although it's better by far then it ever could have been on the cube, it still has that taste in it's mouth.... anyone hear anything about it??)

colonel_lugz wrote:IGN have a video review of Twilight Princess

http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748589/vids_1.html

This is just getting silly now, i just CANT wait any longer!!!!!!

You checked out that video yet dude, it should restore your faith
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:44 am

I can't go to some 'selected' sites at work. I'll have a look tonight. I had a look at Gamespots review and it was good all be it a little harch on the controler. I have a feeling that Microsoft may have some sort of stake in that site though (tv.com, gamefaq are all teh same company now)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:45 am

Yeah, the Xbox has been updated several times, and each time it's been impressive from upscaling DVD's on VGA and queuing downloads to making it 1080P compatible. They've changed the dashboard a couple of times, each time a little better, but I think they'll keep at it until it's a bit more intuitive.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:53 am

Cool, and all that's just software.... marvy. You'd have to imagine that the Wii and the PS3 would do the same thing. Why not improve a product if you can do it for free.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:55 am

Fried Gold wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Then why are you in this thread?

Because I wanted to talk about the Wii...Columbo. :wink:

Now a Columbo based game on the Wii would be awesome.

*Wave controller anti-clockwise to ask suspect just one more thing.
** Wave controller clockwise and push A to talk about Mrs Columbo.

I know I'm late - but I had to say that this post made me piss myself with laughter.

I'm a bit disappointed about some of the negative reviews coming in - but I think Ginger Man said it perfectly: we'll have to wait and see, and in the meantime, a lot of the best games will be the pick-up-and-play ones. So my first three purchases are likely to be Wii Play, Rayman and Zelda. Mind you, Zelda games require a fair amount of time, which is not something I tend to have at Xmas. So I may buy that later, and use the spare cash to get a classic controller and a couple of VC games.

Still waiting to hear from tfactor and Athena!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:00 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Then why are you in this thread?

Because I wanted to talk about the Wii...Columbo. :wink:

Now a Columbo based game on the Wii would be awesome.

*Wave controller anti-clockwise to ask suspect just one more thing.
** Wave controller clockwise and push A to talk about Mrs Columbo.

I know I'm late - but I had to say that this post made me piss myself with laughter.

I'm a bit disappointed about some of the negative reviews coming in - but I think Ginger Man said it perfectly: we'll have to wait and see, and in the meantime, a lot of the best games will be the pick-up-and-play ones. So my first three purchases are likely to be Wii Play, Rayman and Zelda. Mind you, Zelda games require a fair amount of time, which is not something I tend to have at Xmas. So I may buy that later, and use the spare cash to get a classic controller and a couple of VC games.

Still waiting to hear from tfactor and Athena!

Wii has consumed them.........ALL HAIL Wii!!!!

Im not phased by the negative reviews, im staying strong, Zelda will prevail.

I am already getting overly defensive of this console and I don't own it yet. I think it's a built in mechanism of all Nintendo fans who had to fight visciously in the playground during the N64 Vs Playstation 1 era.......I fought hard!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:07 am

colonel_lugz wrote:Wii has consumed them.........ALL HAIL Wii!!!!

I am already getting overly defensive of this console and I don't own it yet. I think it's a built in mechanism of all Nintendo fans who had to fight visciously in the playground during the N64 Vs Playstation 1 era.......I fought hard!

I'll drink to that! Don't worry - I haven't lost faith. I just think the reality of the situation is setting in: we're gonna have a lot of fun with this console, but we might have to wait a few months to see exactly what it's capable of.

Have any reports about the PS3 come in yet, or are they all being sold on eBay to millionaires? :grin:
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:08 am

colonel_lugz wrote:I am already getting overly defensive of this console and I don't own it yet. I think it's a built in mechanism of all Nintendo fans who had to fight visciously in the playground during the N64 Vs Playstation 1 era.......I fought hard!

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:09 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:W ii has consumed them.........ALL HAIL Wii!!!!

I'll drink to that! Don't worry - I haven't lost faith. I just think the reality of the situation is setting in: we're gonna have a lot of fun with this console, but we might have to wait a few months to see exactly what it's capable of.

Have any reports about the PS3 come in yet, or are they all being sold on eBay to millionaires? :grin:

IPAMPILASH!

Ahhh, it's funny because it's a wryly delivered comical exaggeration of a financial aspect notoriously revelent to this specific conversation.

Sigh.
Good times.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:10 am

It's in the blood... being a member of the sacrid brotherhood of the NESS (Nintendo Entertainment SystemS) is inbuilt from a very young age. The brotherhood has held up against many foes, Sega and the dreaded Mastersystem, the Dreamcast revolution and then untimely demise, and the Playstation jaunt. We have a history...

SO SAY WE ALL.....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:19 am

NSFW?

PS3 vs Wii Commercial

Wii wrote:I am cheap and fun.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:20 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAH AWESOME

Nuff said really
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:22 am

NSFW? ...... wa?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:38 am

Not Safe For Work

It's a standard internet warning to let people know that they could get fired if a boss or colleague sees them looking at a certain pic/vid etc.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:42 am

Last edited by Logan5 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:42 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote: A nice diversion. But not something I'd run home and lose myself in for hours upon hours.

That cinches it for me. It's right up my alley then. I wanted something that was easy to pick up and put down without becoming invested in hours of gameplay.

I think I should rephrase what I said, Kaga. The launch titles are very weak. The motion controls are either sloppy to the point of being painful (on your arm) or feel incredibly tacked on. The only game I played that came close to being fun was Wii Sports, which came with the system and is literally a tech demo with 30 minutes of play, max. And then, only if you have someone to play against.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:43 am

Yeah, they should add on that advert that if you play with the Wii you could get severe groin pain and irritation.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:36 am

That's not your motion sensor you’re playing with there...

‘Nintendos Big Wii Ointment'. If you’re getting rashes, gashes, or splashes on your Wii then just rub in the new Nintendo Wii Ointment into your Wii and your pain will just wipe away...

WARNING: NOT TO BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH ANY SONY PRODUCT. NEVER WIPE YOUR WII WITH A BURLAP CLOTH, NEVER GET YOUR WII WET, NEVER LET UNDER 12’S PLAY WITH YOUR WII WITHOUT PARENTAL AVOIDANCE.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:45 am

IPAMPILASH!

Awesome.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:56 am

Ok, dumb question time again for MonkeyM...

IPAMPILASH!

wa????
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:07 am

Don't worry, it took me a while to ingest some of the Zone's oddities. IPAMPILASH refers to an abbreviation something a member called Dino said a long time ago on, I think, the Lost thread. Suffice to say it means "LOL".
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:09 am

ahhhhhhhhhhh.............. kinda like LMAO. Right... thanks atomic for your laugh and your help in me deciphering your laugh.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Games