Nintendo Wii Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Would you like to take a Wii?

Oui Wii
74%
Non Wii
4%
Don't care it'll be ass
6%
Don't care it'll be fried gold
15%

Total votes : 94

Postby monorail77 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:45 pm

Rented both RE4 and Godfather Blackhand for Wii. Had never played RE4 before (nor GF).

I like them both a lot. But I think I'll buy RE4 and wait a little to get GF. Why?

RE4 is just really fun. Its pick-up-and play, not much learning required before you're into it. It looks great and plays beautifully, though I'm still having trouble mastering aiming and then using the knife.

GF is incredibly detailed and seems like a fun RPG, but I just don't have the time to invest in it right now. It seems very well thought out and I enjoyed roughing up some shopkeepers using the Wii-mote, but I only have the game for a couple of days so I haven't bothered learning all the detail. I'll probably pick it up later. It'll hopefully be cheaper then, too!
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:59 pm

Received RE:4 today and am fighting through the village.

I haven't played RE since number 1 on the PS.

I gave up on that when I lent the PS to a stoner mate and he and his brother wiped my memory card! Bastards, it still hurts! :evil:

I like this version, the controls were confusing at first, but soon become second nature. Although, being a PC FPS bod, I miss strafing too Bob.

Between this and HP:OotP, I may be Wiiing for some time to come!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby monorail77 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:27 pm

mmmmm OOTP!! Nearly bought that on the weekend but was restraind by frugal and grumpy (PMSing) spouse. But sooooon it wiiilll be miiiine!!!

anyone played it yet? (on any platform?)
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:13 am

My spouse is the only reason I have been casting spells with my Wiimote!

She wanted to buy it, doesn't want to play it, therefore I have to play while she 'directs', oh well at least I get to play :lol:

The graphics aren't as good as I am used to on the PC but the thumbstick movement, remote wand combo becomes quite intuitive.

My main problem with the games is the appalling camera controls, I'm used to mouse view in PC games, and not being able to spin the camera round is a PITA.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:48 am

Fonix, a company that makes voice-recognition software, announced that they are teaming up with the Wii. I'm mentioning this because it has already been mooted as a possible feature in the next Harry Potter Wii game, i.e., they may release some kind of wand peripheral which will be both a Wiimote AND a microphone for you to cast spells like "Silencio" or "In Utero" or "Wizard", or whatever the hell it may be....

Still loving Resident Evil 4 - the lack of strafing is certainly very odd, but I've found it surprisingly easy to get to grips with the controls. Monorail: to be honest, I haven't needed to use the knife much. I'm not sure exactly what context you're trying to use it in, but if you just want to open boxes without having to shoot them - try shaking your Wiimote when you're facing the boxes. Leon will quickly lash out with the dagger and can take out up to 3 boxes in one go with this method....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:54 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Fonix, a company that makes voice-recognition software, announced that they are teaming up with the Wii. I'm mentioning this because it has already been mooted as a possible feature in the next Grande Rojo Potter Wii game, i.e., they may release some kind of wand peripheral which will be both a Wiimote AND a microphone for you to cast spells like "Silencio" or "In Utero" or "Wizard", or whatever the hell it may be....

KKKKAAAAAAMMMMMEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMEEEEE EEEEEEHHHHHAAAA!!!!

That would be sweet to yell in the DBZ game :D

So is there a Mic in the Wiimote or will it be an addon? Also, and this is something I've been meaning to ask for a while, how's the speaker in the Wiimote?? Early reviews stated that it was a bit useless and tinny.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:00 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:Received RE:4 today and am fighting through the village.

I haven't played RE since number 1 on the PS.

I gave up on that when I lent the PS to a stoner mate and he and his brother wiped my memory card! Bastards, it still hurts! :evil:

I like this version, the controls were confusing at first, but soon become second nature. Although, being a PC FPS bod, I miss strafing too Bob.

Between this and HP:OotP, I may be Wiiing for some time to come!

Played RE:4 on the Wii for a couple of hours last weekend. My first Wii-ing experience, and I've only played the first RE before, so I set it to easy. It's going to take time to get used to the stress and repetitive pain injuries it causes to the wrists (especially for someone who works on machines and pcs alot at work anyway), but it's quite easy to adapt to the controls and gameplay, and killing zombiefied villagers is great fun.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:01 am

Is it the Wii everything the buzz made it out to be in IYO Tape? Do you want to sell your friends kidneys to get one now?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:09 am

RE:4 or the Wii?

The Wii's controls are great, I imagine you get used to the strain. I soon realised that you don't have to wave your arms about too much (it occurred to me RE:4 would be fun to play with a rifle shaped control, like an arcade game, and I'm sure there are Wii-mote extensions you can buy for that kind of thing). The biggest drawback? after playing Racing simulator (I think it's Monza?) and some other XBOX 360 games in HD on a big old HD monitor, the Wii's output can't help but look a little soft and less vivid by comparison.

Of course these are just first impressions.

I'm thinking, somewhere down the line, I'll get a PS3.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:39 am

Big spender! Well you'll get the blueray and all the extra stuff so it's not a bad idea if you want an all in one. I’m still tempted by Sony's great beast.

If you were playing the Wii with who I think you were I'm sure that he must have bulked up from constant Wii'ing.. it's all in the training :lol: I remember how knackered I was when I played the Eyetoy... man doing that, drinking and jumping around isn't a good combo.

Monza is supposed to look amazing so that's going to extremes with vision quality comparisons but I can imagine the difference. This may be a silly question for you Tape, as you were just visiting a friend but I'll ask the others in here. What video outputs do use? I've seen some video that shows that the S-video out improves the video quality quite dramatically (I think that it was an S-video).
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:45 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:Big spender! Well you'll get the blueray and all the extra stuff so it's not a bad idea if you want an all in one. I’m still tempted by Sony's great beast.

If you were playing the Wii with who I think you were I'm sure that he must have bulked up from constant Wii'ing.. it's all in the training :lol: I remember how knackered I was when I played the Eyetoy... man doing that, drinking and jumping around isn't a good combo.

Monza is supposed to look amazing so that's going to extremes with vision quality comparisons but I can imagine the difference. This may be a silly question for you Tape, as you were just visiting a friend but I'll ask the others in here. What video outputs do use? I've seen some video that shows that the S-video out improves the video quality quite dramatically (I think that it was an S-video).

Trashbag has an analogue HD monitor, and I believes he uses HD component. Otherwise it's HDMI on the XBOX 360 I believe.
I don't think you can transmit a true HD signal on an s-video cable, as it would only bear analogue standard definition - I've done some reading on the subject in the wake of the continuing HD DVD Vs. Blu-Ray debate.

Unles you were figuratively referring to the Wii (because you weren't in any literal sense. In which case the answer is yes, S Video, the Wii has only standard def output, I think the choice is between that and RCA (But I've never checked).
Last edited by tapehead on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:55 am

Yeah I ment the Wii's cables... :oops:

Very interesting, I look forward to having a look for myself, with you and Cpt trash in tow :D
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:57 am

Let us hereafter always refer to him as Trashbag when we speak of him, and perhaps one day entice him to the Zone.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:59 am

Done and done. Trashbag it is :lol:

He would love it on here too... you got me on here Tape so I'm sure that you can persuade another into the fold. 8)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:38 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:So is there a Mic in the Wiimote or will it be an addon? Also, and this is something I've been meaning to ask for a while, how's the speaker in the Wiimote?? Early reviews stated that it was a bit useless and tinny.

It would be an add-on for many games, but like I say, for HP they'll probably just make an all-in-one Wiimote and Mic which looks vaguely like a wand. The speaker is ok - it's kinda tinny, but it isn't used in such a way that the tinniness becomes a problem. More often than not, it's used to create an extra layer of surround sound. For example, in RE: 4, it only really makes a faint sound when you fire or reload your gun.

Tapes, I noticed this on an online Aussie store - doesn't get a very good customer review, though! I'm sure there will be better gun peripherals in due course.

As for the whole HD issue - there's certainly a point to be made there. I host regular Gears sessions round my flat, and seeing that game running in HD on a 40-inch telly is certainly a joy to behold. Same with Motorcross on the PS3. I've been telling people for a while now: ignore the PS3 at your peril, it's a bloody impressive machine and has some very interesting games coming out over the next year. On the other hand, there are plenty of people out there who seem to think that to be "truly" next-gen, a console has to have HD output, which frankly, is a load of bull, usually spouted by people who invested too many hopes in their chosen console. This round of the console wars will almost certainly be remembered for the moment Nintendo showed everybody that you could make a console next-gen by simply rethinking the interaction between the player and the game. Having said that, if you shop around in the UK you can bag a 60Gb PS3 for slightly under £300 - and it's almost worth that just for the Blu-Ray player.

As for the cables issue - I'm glad someone bought this up, because I'm no expert on this and it confuses the fark outta me. My mate's 360 uses a component cable to output some form of HD. As far as I'm aware, HDMI cables have only been available for the 360 very recently - I don't know if that means there's no HDMI output on a standard 360, as I've only recently started to care about this sort of stuff. You can also buy a component cable for the Wii, which, once plugged in, will enable an option called "EDTV" on my Wii settings. I think this might be 720 progressive scan, or some shiat like that.

I'd love one of you tech-heads to explain the difference between progressive, interlaced, 50Hz, 60Hz, EDTV, HDTV, and all the damn numbers for me. All I know is that the component cable from my Wii significantly improves the colour and shading on games like RE: 4, but like I say, it also makes some faint horizontal lines scroll from top to bottom - so I presume there's something wrong with the cable. I also know that when I play Gears on my TV thru a component cable, the image quality is unbelievably good, so I think it is HD, but not as good as using an HDMI cable (or so I'm told)
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:48 am

Man, you can go on for ages about cables and formats and such TITG, and Tape and I usually do :) but the easiest thing to do would be to give you a lovely wiki link for each. Give me a few minutes and I'll compile something for you... (unless Tape gets in first and shows me up by saying everything from the top of his head)

Oh and you only get this if you can tell me that you NEVER EVER watch a film or TV show in the wrong ARC (aspect ratio). I hate that so bad... 'but I want to use all of my 4x3 TV' :roll:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:05 am

I can confirm that, before I got my new TV, I was more than happy to watch stuff letterboxed.

Cheers in advance for the effort Monkey, tis much appreciated...
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:08 am

Happy to help.... it's a bugger of a subject and even though I don't own or have set up and HD gear I know the ideas and theory behind it.

Still compiling.... be back soon!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:41 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:I'd love one of you tech-heads to explain the difference between progressive, interlaced, 50Hz, 60Hz, EDTV, HDTV, and all the damn numbers for me. All I know is that the component cable from my Wii significantly improves the colour and shading on games like RE: 4, but like I say, it also makes some faint horizontal lines scroll from top to bottom - so I presume there's something wrong with the cable. I also know that when I play Gears on my TV thru a component cable, the image quality is unbelievably good, so I think it is HD, but not as good as using an HDMI cable (or so I'm told)

Ok, well there’s a lot to go through TITG… if it confuses you just PM me or Tape :)

Like I said, there’ a lot in the questions that you asked so I’ll try and help as best I can… I’ve written some of this and copied and pasted some other stuff so if anyone picks up on something that it wrong of I’ve missed in this quick compile let me know and I’ll fix her up!

HDTV’s and the connecting lingo…

Component video

It should be better quality then composite video as it’s splitting the video into colours and shades and not compressing (and there for loosing quality) it down one video cable like composite video (the usual 3* RCA cables 2 audio 1 video). By what you’ve said it’s not HD video even though it looks better, you’ll need a special set of cables for the HDMI. The Component (YpbPr or whatever the local variant is) will have much better quality due to the colour, luma (light) splitting but HDMI should be better again.

S-Video (S for Separate) is another type of component video signal (because the luma and chroma (colour) signals are transmitted on separate wires. This connection type is not being used for high definition standards as the colour signal would have to be adjusted.

See http://www.answers.com/topic/component-video?cat=technology
For Component video stuff.

Refresh rates and Hz’s

Basically the Refresh rate is the number of times a display's image on screen refreshed per second, it’s literally how many times (in older terms) the CRT fired electrons at the screen (think the increadibles top screan scanner that Mr Increadable receives at his home... it''s kida like that). The faster (depending on the quality of the input) the refresh rate the less flicker you’ll see on the screen and the more fluid the movement on screen. There are different frequencies stated (60hz, 100hz etc) and the refresh rate is expressed in hertz. That is, a refresh rate of 75 Hz means the image is refreshed 75 times in one second. Remember that the refresh rate is different from frame rate in that refresh rate means the repeated illumination of identical frames, while frame rate measures how often a display image can change into another.

More info – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#Lines_and_refresh_rate

EDTV

I don’t really know much about this other then it’s another high quality format.

Have a look here for more info – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced-definition_television

What is the difference between NTSC, 1080i, 720p and native?

To understand this we must have a basic understanding of how the NTSC system works. The following explanation is a generalization, for the enthusiast looking for all the details there are several good web sites which explain the complete operation of NTSC television.
The NTSC system shows us 30 picture frames-per-second (fps) using two fields. Each field consists of half the scanning lines of the frame. Thus, in the first 1/60 second the television tubes illuminate odd numbered scanning lines 1-525 (there are always 525 vertical lines, horizontal resolution is the term often used to describe the sharpness of a TV set in "lines of resolution"). In the second 1/60 second the picture tube illuminates the even lines (2-524). these two fields of scanning lines are therefore interlaced at a frequency of 15750Hz. All of this is keyed to the power line frequency (60Hz) - in Europe the televisions are keyed to 50Hz.

The "i" in 1080i stands "for interlaced" which means the picture is constructed exactly as detailed above but at a much higher rate. Instead of using 525 vertical lines of information, the 1080i system uses 1080 lines of information. 540 lines are illuminated every 1/60 second and interlaced with the remaining 540 lines at a frequency of32400Hz. This faster scanning rate, coupled with more lines of information, creates a picture that does not exhibit the graininess, flicker and visible scanning lines of NTSC. Further, the entire system carries with it a wider bandwidth (bandwidth is proportional to picture detail) allowing about twice as much information to be displayed when compared with NTSC.

The "p" in 720p stands for progressive. Progressive scan systems operate like a computer system; they show each scanning line sequentially without interlace. Thus, a 720p system would possess 720 horizontal scanning lines, which are illuminated every 1/60 second. A 720p system can be said to operate at a frequency at 43200Hz. As the scanning frequency of a set gets higher, the set gets more expensive and difficult to product. This is why you do not find too many 35" computer monitors - they can get very expensive.

While a detailed discussion of the merits of progressive vs. interlaced design is beyond the scope of this document, it can be said that 1080i is currently the dominant form for HDTV transmission and display. For the sake of flexibility, the Motorola HDD200, for example, offers the user the ability to choose, via a back panel switch, whether the system should output information in the form of 1080 interlaced only, 720 progressive only, or "native" (meaning what comes in is what goes out).

Interlaced and Progressive

I could explain it but Wiki has pictures and animations and I just can’t compete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan
Last edited by MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:43 am

Superb - thanks Monkey, I'll be printing that off and reading it on my way home!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:46 am

Happy to help... :D I hope that you have a long trip home because with all the links it makes a heavy read :?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kid on an escalator on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:14 pm

component > s-video > composite

And Wii can only output 480p while the 360 and PS3 can output up to 1080p. To be able to get 480p and upwards you'll need a component cable. It is vastly better than using composite. So get the component cables for Wii and put it to EDTV/HDTV in the menu.

But yeah read that stuff monkey posted if you really want to learn it all.
kid on an escalator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:52 pm

kid on an escalator wrote:component > s-video > composite

And Wii can only output 480p while the 360 and PS3 can output up to 1080p. To be able to get 480p and upwards you'll need a component cable. It is vastly better than using composite. So get the component cables for Wii and put it to EDTV/HDTV in the menu.

You are a vast wasteland of knowledge....FYI.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kid on an escalator on Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:09 pm

godzillasushi wrote:

You are a vast wasteland of knowledge....FYI.

:lol:
kid on an escalator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby monorail77 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:26 pm

Re: RE4

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Monorail: to be honest, I haven't needed to use the knife much. I'm not sure exactly what context you're trying to use it in, but if you just want to open boxes without having to shoot them - try shaking your Wiimote when you're facing the boxes. Leon will quickly lash out with the dagger and can take out up to 3 boxes in one go with this method....

Thanks, I've got that part down already. In one of the tutorial manuals you get from the communication girl (manual #1 or #2, I can't remember) it teaches you two ways to use the knife. You can just quick slash, as you've described, or you can hold the C button on the nunchuk to bring up the knife. Then you're supposed to "aim" the knife, with the nunchuk stick, and then slash it with the wiimote. The manual says this is "more powerful" than the quick slash.

Aiming the knife with the nunchuck stick is hard. I get confused because the wiimote "aiming circle" is also displayed, but of course it goes all wonky when you slash with the wiimote, or just move the wiimote at all, so I think you're just supposed to ignore that aiming circle and not factor it into your knife "aiming".

Did that make any sense?

I'm still working on it. I like the idea of the knife. You can take a first shot and then finish off the baddie with the knife. Saves ammo. Or you can just kick the bastard. That works too.

Unfortunately, I have to take the rented game back to the video store today, but I'll hopefully buy a copy within the next month or two. At least I have my saved progress. I'm on chapter 2 now.
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby kid on an escalator on Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:00 pm

You can use the A button instead of waggling the wiimote when you are holding down C. Might be easier.
kid on an escalator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby monorail77 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:35 pm

kid on an escalator wrote:You can use the A button instead of waggling the wiimote when you are holding down C. Might be easier.

Hmmm, thanks. Will try.
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:08 am

Is the EDTV that much better then SD? By what I read yesterday it's sounds like it's in the middle ground quality wise which makes me wonder 'why bother?'
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:47 am

Cheers for the ongoing cable advice guys. Like I say, I bought a component cable as soon as they became available, but had this problem with ghostly black lines scrolling across the screen. I presume that means I was sold a crap cable, but I don't really wana spend another £15 just to find out that the problem was caused by something else entirely...

I suppose if I get one from HMV or somewhere like that, they might let me return it after I've opened it?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:57 am

Black lines you say hummm.... I would guess that it is a crap cable or a crap connection somewhere. The black lines (scrolling over the screen right? Does it looks a little embossed?) is due to a bad earth somewhere (I believe). It's most likely in the new cable, and you should take it back and get a new one. Have you used those inputs on your TV/AV Amp before? Have you had this issue before at all?

EDIT: If the cable didn't work out of the box then they should take it back. It's not your fault. How long have you had it?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:12 am

OK, here are my answers:

I've used the component input on my TV to play 360, and i looked frikkin' beautiful, some of the clearest images my TV has produced - and no scrolling lines.

Your theory about the bad earth in the Wii cable sounds highly plausible - I've had the cable for a few months now, and I bought it off an eBay trader. I should really have sent it back as soon as I realised something was up, but part of the problem is that I bought it before I even had an HD-enabled TV! So I've only got myself to blame.

Cheers again Monkey, you've given me the motivation to try out a new component cable.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:21 am

kid on an escalator wrote:EDTV

Bwahahaha! I'm pretty sure a marketing department made that one up. Well not really, but it's such a mid-step up hybrid most people dont have a tv or projector to take advatage of it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:24 am

Well I'm glad that I could help. If I could get online to gaming sites I believe that Gamespot has a cool ass comparison between what cables are used out of the Wii (they have frame grabs from Zelda and when you scroll over the pic it shows the different cables). It makes it really clear how much better the picture becomes when you use the right outputs.

tapehead wrote:

Bwahahaha! I'm pretty sure a marketing department made that one up. Well not really, but it's such a mid-step up hybrid most people dont have a tv or projector to take advatage of it.

haha! Just as I suspected.... :lol:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kid on an escalator on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:34 am

tapehead wrote:

I have one and it's definitely a big improvement. Not only does the progressive picture help but also having widescreen is a huge difference. I guess all EDTVs aren't 16:9 though. Mine can also take HD sources and downscale them to 576p which looks great.

ED = Enhanced Definition which is true. It is an enhanced picture (480p/576p) and it's definitely noticeable.
kid on an escalator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby tapehead on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:37 am

I don't mean to discount it - it is superior to analogue broadcast limitations, but not to a good component progressive signal from say, a DVD, or to what standard definition digital broadcast is capable of. It just doesn't appear a great deal better, unless your have a monitor or projector that can properly display the de-interlaced output - EDTV is a way to descibe progressive scanning, with a larger amount of scan lines in the image than 480i.

KOAE, you have an 'EDTV?'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:47 am

tapehead wrote:unless your have a monitor or projector that can properly display the de-interlaced output.

See, now I'm confused again. Maybe this is a problem with my TV, rather than the cable? All I know is that my TV claims to be HD-enabled, and that when I ran my Wii thru component and selected the EDTV option, games like RE: 4 looked a helluva lot better - but the improvement was ruined by these BLOODY BLACK LINES! :cry: :cry: :cry:
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:56 am

Sounds like it's possibly an issue with the progressive scan (presuming they are both Pal region hardware) - I'm sure if your box is HD capable, it must be able to output the image - maybe it has a switch-able 'progressive' mode? If not, the cable is next logical thing to look at.

Really enjoyed your thoughts re the Wii and PS3 too, TITGirl, agree with them entirely - the Wii has created it's own, alternate market to Microsoft and Sony, and they have done so by holding onto simple, broad concepts like 'fun' and 'cute'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:06 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
tapehead wrote:unles s your have a monitor or projector that can properly display the de-interlaced output.

See, now I'm confused again. Maybe this is a problem with my TV, rather than the cable? All I know is that my TV claims to be HD-enabled, and that when I ran my Wii thru component and selected the EDTV option, games like RE: 4 looked a helluva lot better - but the improvement was ruined by these BLOODY BLACK LINES! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hey TITG, just FYI... HD Ready means the set is capable of displaying HD content, but does not have an HD tuner built in. Without the tuner built in, you can not simply hook up an over the air antenna to get your local channels in HD.

An HDTV has the tuner built in. You can hook up an OTA antenna and get all your local channels in HD, where available.

tapehead wrote:Sounds like it's possibly an issue with the progressive scan (presuming they are both Pal region hardware) - I'm sure if your box is HD capable, it must be able to output the image - maybe it has a switch-able 'progressive' mode? If not, the cable is next logical thing to look at.

I never thought of that... :oops: Good thinking Tape. :)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:00 am

Cheers guys.

Monkey - I don't mind not being able to watch HD broadcast TV channels just yet - that whole thing is still in its infancy here at the mo. I think you basically have to be a Sky customer if you wanna watch HDTV in the UK right now. But I can still play games in HD as long as I have the right console and cables, right? Because I'm pretty sure that Gears of War is displayed in HD on my telly - it just looks too damn good to be anything else!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:10 am

Yep, basically it's the input that makes the difference in the above HDTV types. Because HD-Ready tellys doesn't have a HD tuner inbuilt so they don't have an HD input. Your actual TV tube is HD but the TV signal isn't. Know what I mean?

So if you're plugging in a 360 with HD outputs it'll be fine and dandy and it'll look pretty damned sweet. I'll only be getting an HD-Ready TV when I buy my next one because full signal SD TV is more then I need to watch the news and such.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:21 am

MonkeyM666 wrote: Because HD-Ready tellys doesn't have a HD tuner inbuilt so they don't have an HD input. Your actual TV tube is HD but the TV signal isn't. Know what I mean?

So if you're plugging in a 360 with HD outputs it'll be fine and dandy and it'll look pretty damned sweet. I'll only be getting an HD-Ready TV when I buy my next one because full signal SD TV is more then I need to watch the news and such.

This is a bit off the mark, Monkey - If you buy a 'HD ready' television or monitor, it is going to have either HD component or HDMI input (or possibly one of the less common HDdigital scart, DTV or pc display inputs), and be capable of displaying any of the signals (the lowest of which is usually considered to be 720p) that are classified as High Definition.

...and if that's not the case the people you bought it from are lying to you and should be beaten with sticks.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:30 am

They should be beaten regardless!

I meant that 'HD-ready' branded TV's don't have a HD TV tuner built into the set, so the monitor is HD but you need a separate HD tuner to watch HD TV. If you have another HD source then you can watch that in HD with no issue.

A 'HDTV' branded TV is the whole package, with the TV tuner built in.

Well that's what I remember.... it has been a while since I played around with HD gear so if I'm way off apologies. :?

Man, this is beginning to sound like gobbledegook! I wonder if we’ve confused TITG completely now :)
Last edited by MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:33 am

What you meant is correct, but that sentence implies something else. You can watch HD content on a HD television or monitor without a tuner, but you need one with a HD tuner to watch HD broadcast television, agreed?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:35 am

Yep... sounds right to me. We both know what we're talking about, I just wonder if anyone else does :lol:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:36 am

Guys, I think I understood you both. And like Tapes said, my TV has all the inputs needed to get an HD signal, but I don't get TV channels in HD because it is not very common in the UK right now.

I think Sky+ boxes output in HDMI, but if I wanted one of them I'd have to start playing monthly fees and such - which, for the privilege of watching the latest episodes of The Simpsons in HD, is simply not appealing enough.

As for HD gaming, if I haven't already made this clear, my TV has been hooked up to both a 360 (via component) and a PS3 (via HDMI) - and the resultant image onscreen was DEFINITELY High Definition.

I think we're all basically singing from the same hymnsheet, but Tape's singing in Latin, Monkey in Greek, and I'm just mumbling random words while shuffling about in a pool of my own feculence...
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:40 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I think we're all basically singing from the same hymnsheet, but Tape's singing in Latin, Monkey in Greek, and I'm just mumbling random words while shuffling about in a pool of my own feculence...

:lol: Isn't that the usual way of things?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:44 am

Pretty much, yeah!

:lol:
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:40 pm

Cause nobody has said anything yet:

Wii Zapper!!

Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:10 pm

Also Wii weight scale...Er...I mean exercise thingie/ board<<<Click there!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby monorail77 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:20 pm

Saw this on the main AICN site and I thought it looked cool as all get out.

Anyone tried any of the new Wii sports games yet?

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - July 5, 2007 - Watch out sports fans, the playing field has been leveled! Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) has made it easier for players of all ages and skill levels to play its most popular EA SPORTS games on the Wii through the all-new EA SPORTS Family Play style of gameplay. Debuting in the Wii versions of Madden NFL 08, NBA LIVE 08 and FIFA Soccer 08, EA SPORTS Family Play is a new way to play that enables players of all abilities to play with their friends and family without a competitive disadvantage. Advanced controls are also available for more experienced players, providing two compelling ways to play, and ensuring everyone can enjoy playing EA SPORTS games on the Wii together.

In the main game of Madden NFL 08, NBA LIVE 08 and FIFA Soccer 08, players have the choice to play the style that best suits their skills. When entering a contest, players now have the option to choose Advanced or Family Play. Once in the game, Advanced users take complete control of all aspects of the gameplay through intuitive Wii gestures using both the Nunchuk and Wii remote. EA SPORTS Family Play offers a simplified control system using just the Wii remote that enables novice players to focus on having fun while the console does the rest. With the Wii remote in hand, players control key actions - such as shooting, passing, snapping, and throwing - while the console controls the rest. It's like having an invisible helper on your team. Plus, as novice players gain confidence in their ability they can gradually begin to use Advanced controls simply by plugging in the Nunchuk. It's that easy.

"EA SPORTS Family Play on the Wii creates an incredibly accessible and user-friendly experience that the whole family will enjoy," said Dave McCarthy, Executive Producer for the three games developed at EA Canada. "While many fans love to control every piece of the action, novice players can have just as much fun jumping in to throw a touchdown pass, nail a three pointer or take a shot on goal. Family Play brings together fans of all ages to enjoy playing EA SPORTS games, and even let's them ease in to Advanced play if they desire."

The following three EA SPORTS games feature EA SPORTS Family Play:

Madden NFL 08 on the Wii

Anyone can play like a pro in Madden NFL 08, whether a new user or a long time fan. Play with only the Wii remote with EA SPORTS Family Play or use the Wii remote and nunchuck for more advanced controls; the decision is yours. Featuring an all-new Party Mode, play trivia or chose from 22 different mini-games. Break down plays and highlight key moments with all-new Madden NFL 08 telestrator. Bring the game online, play head to head with friends and keep up to date with the live sports ticker for the ultimate online experience.

NBA LIVE 08 on the Wii

When the game is on the line and the ball is in your hands, what will you do? Will you penetrate the lane and rise above the rim for a monster slam, or find an opening around the perimeter and sink the game-winning basket? Jump in on the NBA action with EA SPORTS Family Play that gives every user the opportunity to enjoy success in NBA LIVE 08. You control your team's shooting, passing, and steals on defense with the Wii remote, and leave the rest up to the AI. If you're already a pro, use both the Wii remote and nunchuck for more advanced controls.

FIFA Soccer 08 on the Wii

The whole family can play FIFA Soccer 08 with a flick of the wrist. Play the traditional and authentic way or in a new party mode called Footii Party with Ronaldinho where you can play Juggling, Table Soccer or Boot It with your own Mii characters to unlock a customized Ronaldinho character to take on the champ. The in-game Soccer Academy makes it easy to learn the basic and FreeMotion advanced controls in more than 30 interactive tutorials, or let the game give you an assist with EA SPORTS Family Play. EA's award-winning Interactive Leagues online play is also featured.
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Games