Mass Effect - HOLY F'IN CRAP AMAZING!

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby Fawst on Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:02 pm

According to the GameStop by me in a mall, they were only getting enough copies to cover preorders, and they were going to be shutting off preorders "soon." That was Wednesday when I bought Assassin's Creed (good game, I can see how it will get repetitive, though). I should have put my five bucks down on it, but money was a question mark at the time. No big deal, I'll get it eventually.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:06 pm

i have 2 copies pre-ordered. One is my brother's christmas present.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:02 pm

Since this thread is mostly hype before the actual release, I'll chime in and say that this game is FUCKING AWESOME. That is all for now. Must go play more.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Dyno on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm twenty hours into it and have just finished one of the main quest points (Noveria). I have mostly good things to say.

They have done a really good job melding a simple, squad-based FPS with a deep roleplaying game. For a sandbox format the graphics and cinematics are quite high end and they use filters to cover up imperfections to good effect. The story is good so far and the plot points are quite varied. So far it hasn't become predicable at all. The buying, selling, and outfitting takes a fair bit of time if you want to do it right but it's satisfying enough to optimize. The details and story behind the universe itself are exhaustive which allows you to have a very deep, hardcore science-fiction experience.

The game winds up being rather slow-paced overall once you factor in the long hallways, elevators, and load screens in addition to all of the non-combat aspects of the game. To me it feels like the 360 can't properly handle this game even though I'm okay with the frequent pop-in textures and under 30 framerate dips that occur from time to time. RPGs like this one happen as much in your head as they do on the screen so the expectation for graphical power is not a priority as in a regular shooter. Bioware tried hard to bridge the gap and came close so I think they deserve props for that.

When this comes to PC I'm sure it will be a much tighter title because you will be able to load portions of your game onto your hard drive which will give you far better performance.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Dyno on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:41 pm

A question for those who have completed the game...

I have found the two characters I want on my team for the rest of the game. My Sheppard and these two characters fight well and are able to handle everything. I'm going to run with them and ignore the rest.

Do I need to make sure my other teammates have the best weaponry and armour because there will be a time when all six of them will be utilized, a la final boss fights in Final Fantasy? Am I ever going to be forced to use a certain character?

Bascially if I found my favorite two and totally ignore the others will I screw myself down the line? Or is it always going to be a three-person team of my choice?
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:59 pm

No you wont screw the game up.

Also, all you characters level the same amount so it doesnt matter.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:39 pm

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Yea that whole thing was pretty rediculous.

They took videos from IGN. IGN and Fox are owned by the same evil thing. But that is still against the rules. Then they took and twisted the facts which I found shocking in that they got so much wrong.....and not shocking in that it's Fox news and they are trying to appeal to their conservative parents. Fox and the audience they inform haven't got a clue to begin with.

I doubt Fox corrects it though. It's Fox afterall that decided to talk about video games once a year.

It's amazing to hear a bunch of people rail on a game that they have not played.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:19 pm

Yeah I doubt Fox will change their story either but all that guy wanted was attention and he got it.

For this non-story to have got any suction though is the most ridiculous part.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:21 pm

It's all about that audience they serve. They feed it and that demo eats it up. That's exactly what they want, just a little attention or controversy.

I still haven't played the game yet but all this talk actually got me to consider picking it up again. :lol:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:23 pm

godzillasushi wrote:It's all about that audience they serve. They feed it and that demo eats it up. That's exactly what they want, just a little attention or controversy.

I still haven't played the game yet but all this talk actually got me to consider picking it up again. :lol:

It's a cool game and I can't wait to see where they take the series. All the bugs and issues that people discussed with this one should be gone in subsequent games.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Exactly.

My concerns initally were, will I like the text and dialogue? Because I have Jade Empire and KOTOR and I have zero patience for that crap. Especially JE which was excessive with the text. They took it a little to far.

The second was the bugs and non-patchable things. Balance issues.

It's not my genre necessarily since I like fast moving things (racing and shooters of course!).

But just like Bioshock this weekend, I am willing to give these games a shot.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:29 pm

The text and dialogue are integrated really well. If I was you I wouldnt do a ton of side quests and stuff like that I know youll probably get bored going that route as they tend to get a little repetitive.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:41 pm

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:58 pm

godzillasushi wrote:

Yea that whole thing was pretty rediculous.

They took videos from IGN. IGN and Fox are owned by the same evil thing. But that is still against the rules. Then they took and twisted the facts which I found shocking in that they got so much wrong.....and not shocking in that it's Fox news and they are trying to appeal to their conservative parents. Fox and the audience they inform haven't got a clue to begin with.

I doubt Fox corrects it though. It's Fox afterall that decided to talk about video games once a year.

It's amazing to hear a bunch of people rail on a game that they have not played.

The attack without facts attitude is summed up nicely in Donnie Darko, the PTA meeting with the Bonanza comment.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:44 pm

By the way, finally got this over the weekend.

"HOLY F'IN CRAP AMAZING!" sums it up perfectly. This game is the shit. My fiancee even loves it. That's hard for a game to pull off. She started FFXII and Oblivion, and both of them put her off. This one, she is all about it. If ever there was a reason to own a sick HD set, this is it. I can't wait to bring it to my parents' house and play on their plasma. More reason for me to finally get a good set... hopefully this summer :\
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:47 pm

You are lucky she digs it Fawst, mine just takes the piss out of me for trying to pick up a "cyber babe."
Great game tho, and im still loving it 23hours in with the main quest barely touched.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Yah, I'm about 8 hours in and only about 20 minutes of that took place post-Spectre-ization :)

EDIT: You're in Norway? My fiancee's family is Norwegian. Go figure.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Yeah, im just working here (saying that im looking to buy a house and make it permanent) from the uk originally.

anyhoo, ermm mass effect rocks! (apologies for off topic)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: Mass Effect - HOLY F'IN CRAP AMAZING!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:06 am

This game isn't an absolute waste but it's certianly throw away.

After playing real FPS RPG's like Fallout 3, Morrowind and Oblivion Etc.. this really does fall short. In terms of graphics, gameplay, UI and just plain entertainment.

Mass Effect desperately tries to grab together bits of Final Fantasy and bits of other FPS's and it just doesn't work. The story is lacklustre and uninvolving, the chracters prove to be nothing more than a nuisance and hardly valuable to the story and the script is delivered flatter than hasslehoff doing a sound dub he didn't care about.

The biggest problem with this game is that it's tailored for the people with attention deficit - the story is just too god damned small and you could easily complete this game in one sitting if you felt the need. It's over in a matter of days with normal playing and you never feel you develop your character stats to their best abilities, so you just don't bother as it doesn't have a great effect on the world outside. The worst part of the games, which personally I think, should have been the best, is the side quests. These are supposed to be the diverse quests that enable you to boost your stats and enjoy a mini story arc that's fun and engauging. None of this applies to Mass Effect. For the most part, it's about you landing on a plain, barron planet surface in your rover and scouting round for enemies and structures. The structures, as it happens, all turn out to be designed by the same articect to the same specs - from the mining bases, to the research labs. It's just pointless and boring.

The enemies are varies from about 3 different creatures that shoot at you, that's about it. The Geth aren't exactly the most inventive race, and the Krogan all look the same.

Stick to the real games - Fallout 3, Oblivion or Final Fantasy, and don't fall foul of this games superficial charms. I could go on about this games flaws but by now most of you have played it. It's rubbish and poorly thought out. Typcial of Microsoft.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:09 pm

I borrowed it from a friend of mine over a year ago, played it for a couple of days , got extremely bored and gave it back.

It reminded me in a lot of ways of Knights of the Old Republic, and that's what turned me on to it initially. Except with KOTOR I had some knowledge and a lot of interest in the world that it was set in.
With Mass Effect, I didn't care about anything.

It looked nice and everything, but I just didn't get into it.
I'm glad some (okay, most) people enjoyed it though.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:54 pm

Fievel wrote:I'm glad some (okay, most) people enjoyed it though.

I'm not. It just shows that peoples attention spans are waning. This is an RPG - It's supposed to be colourful, full of vibrant characters with which to interact, you're supposed to be carried on an adventure through a veritable rainbow of emotions. This is supposed to be about as close to an interactive book as you can get ( with the exception of the old Steve Jackson 'turn to page xxx' hehe) but Mass Effect did nothing like that. When I'm investing 40 plus hours in a game, I like to feel for the characters.

papalazeru

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:33 pm

papalazeru wrote:This game isn't an absolute waste but it's certianly throw away.

After playing real FPS RPG's like Fallout 3, Morrowind and Oblivion Etc.. this really does fall short. In terms of graphics, gameplay, UI and just plain entertainment.

Mass Effect desperately tries to grab together bits of Final Fantasy and bits of other FPS's and it just doesn't work. The story is lacklustre and uninvolving, the chracters prove to be nothing more than a nuisance and hardly valuable to the story and the script is delivered flatter than hasslehoff doing a sound dub he didn't care about.

The biggest problem with this game is that it's tailored for the people with attention deficit - the story is just too god damned small and you could easily complete this game in one sitting if you felt the need. It's over in a matter of days with normal playing and you never feel you develop your character stats to their best abilities, so you just don't bother as it doesn't have a great effect on the world outside. The worst part of the games, which personally I think, should have been the best, is the side quests. These are supposed to be the diverse quests that enable you to boost your stats and enjoy a mini story arc that's fun and engauging. None of this applies to Mass Effect. For the most part, it's about you landing on a plain, barron planet surface in your rover and scouting round for enemies and structures. The structures, as it happens, all turn out to be designed by the same articect to the same specs - from the mining bases, to the research labs. It's just pointless and boring.

The enemies are varies from about 3 different creatures that shoot at you, that's about it. The Geth aren't exactly the most inventive race, and the Krogan all look the same.

Stick to the real games - Fallout 3, Oblivion or Final Fantasy, and don't fall foul of this games superficial charms. I could go on about this games flaws but by now most of you have played it. It's rubbish and poorly thought out. Typcial of Microsoft.

Microsoft is the publisher. They have jack shit to do with this game's development. Mass Effect is one of the best games of this console generation. Flawless? Hell no. Barren side quests and long elevators rides didn't help, but I expect these things to be fixed in ME2. Regardless, I thought the game was one of the better ones in recent years and I think most would agree. I thought the story and art design were stellar, some of the best I've seen. I thought the branching conversation stuff was great, and I've seen a lot of games in development trying to ape the concept. In fact, looking at coverage from Giant Bomb, IGN, and Gamespot over E3, one of the most common phrases discussing new games was "sort of like Mass Effect" or "much like Mass Effect." What do they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Microsoft is the publisher. They have jack shit to do with this game's development. Mass Effect is one of the best games of this console generation. Flawless? Hell no. Barren side quests and long elevators rides didn't help, but I expect these things to be fixed in ME2.

I really hope they do. Don't forget the exhaustive loading times when jumping about the star chart. The game certainly had potential, but potential which was wasted on clumsy UI and making a final fantasy lite.

Nachokoolaid wrote: Regardless, I thought the game was one of the better ones in recent years and I think most would agree. I thought the story and art design were stellar, some of the best I've seen. I thought the branching conversation stuff was great, and I've seen a lot of games in development trying to ape the concept. In fact, looking at coverage from Giant Bomb, IGN, and Gamespot over E3, one of the most common phrases discussing new games was "sort of like Mass Effect" or "much like Mass Effect." What do they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery?

Ha! That's what they say. 'sort of' and 'like' are something they say just because the game has attained commercial success and they hope most people have seen it.

Ths story is just a cheap rip off from Final Fantasy territory (see SIN - etc). Admittedly it was very pretty to look at but there wasn't anything interesting to do but complete the main mission. I've already explained about the carbon copy planets so I won't go into that.

There was also no point to money in the game. I hardly spent a single credit, I'd just kill things, get free equip and then either upgrade myself or sell it. It got to the point where every 2 missions I'd have to sell everything I owned just to make room. Omni gel was only really needed on those odd occasions that the Mako took damage.

There was a whole galaxy out there on the map but so very few places that I could visit, that really annoyed me too.

The game ended just when I was settling into it. I thought at that end point, that marked the end of chapter 1 in the game. Yes! It was over that quick. If it were not for the side quests (because it's an RPG and nothing says RPG like stats building before getting into a story fight), the flaming game would have been over in 2 days.

I feel I've accomplished nothing, there's no satisfactory ending - more the typical Xbox, 'The fight is over but not the war' yada yada. There were tears in the polygons, during play, a few times I fell through the scenery and had to reload, the camera rotated around so bad I could spot the occlusion.

What annoyed me more than anything is the game finished just as I was beginning to see the story develop even though the characters were not fleshed out, it ended with a terrible boss battle, one that I completed on my second load. I have no intention of revisiting the game at all, unlike Fallout 3 or Oblivion where I do love my character and the characters around me.

On the plus side to Mass Effect, I got a free sex scene, woohoo.

Nachokoolaid wrote:What do they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery?

That's what Taiwan says.

I'll certianly look towards Mass Effect 2 as I'm not saying it didn't have promise, but I'm not holding my breath at all.

papalazeru

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:33 pm

All fair arguments.

I'm also really looking forward to it. It seems like there are some great sequels that are going to totally rape their predecessors (ME2, Assassin's Creed 2, Splinter Cell Conviction and others).
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:40 am

papalazeru wrote:I feel I've accomplished nothing, there's no satisfactory ending - more the typical Xbox, 'The fight is over but not the war' yada yada.

Thats the problem with so many games tho, and definately not just an XBOX issue. I thought the end was ok on mass effect, it was a while ago so im a bit fuzzy, and while it was the old "the fight is over...." as you say, im sure there was a definite sense of progression and closure. A very good example of this was Gears of war 1, but I thought the end of Gears 2 was very satisfactory. Just last night, I finished Killzone 2 on the PS3 and honestly, it was the worst example of 'The fight is over but not the war' yada yada I have yet seen in a game. It truly felt like an inbetween levels cutscene, and definately didnt give a sense of closure to the game you had just been playing. Although, the movie style end credits (fractal landscapes, and wireframe flythroughs of ingame objects) were awesome, and Sean Pertwees character is phenomenal though, I have to say.

A lot of your other points do ring true, and while I dont think its one of the best games I ever played, I still enjoyed the hell out of it (im not that big of an RPG player). The amount of planets to visit were fine, but the ikea style ubiquity of the furnishings was a pain in the ass. More variety in the next one should solve this.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:47 am

I'm not a huge gamer, but I enjoyed Mass Effect when playing it, but it didn't feel like an RPG. I could pick the protagonists features in detail and they gave me backstories to choose from - but I don't think that really affected the gameplay. It plays like an advanced 3rd person shooter not an RPG. And to be honest, as a shooter, Crysis shits all over it from a great height.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:50 pm

TonyWilson wrote:... And to be honest, as a shooter, Crysis shits all over it from a great height.

Hehe! Working my way through that as we speak. And yes, I'm sure Mass Effect is looking up to the Monkey pooping on it's head from way up high.

I agree that ME did feel alot like a shooter, which also let it down. If it was meant to be RPG, let's have some stats on our chances of getting headshots and the damage we can cause. Popular to RPGs, there's always something to boost your stats against certain adversaries but in ME, I just had bullets that damaged synthetics and a sheild and that pretty much did the trick, no need for Cryo bullets, Polonium shots, etc etc.

I can see Mass Effect is different from most RPGs in it's fighting which does come across as FPS, but then, why include the RPG element when it has little effect over the result?

Let's hope everything can be addressed in Mass Effect too. I feel it won't as they will have a test audience of 3 to 21 and they won't cater for the hardcore gamers out there.

La manera del mundo :(

papalazeru

Previous

Return to Games