Mass Effect - HOLY F'IN CRAP AMAZING!

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby zarandi on Fri May 26, 2006 6:48 am

yep it does look pretty good.

However - Bioshock looks as if it will be the deus ex of our generation.

Gears of War looks utterly stunning too.
zarandi
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MadCapsule on Fri May 26, 2006 10:15 am

Are those pics of in-game graphics? Most of em look like cutscenes to me.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 26, 2006 10:16 am

No, ingame.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Fri May 26, 2006 10:24 am

Nice! First peron or third person camera?
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 26, 2006 10:42 am

Well, they made Knights Of The Old Republic, so I think it'll end up third person. It's an upgraded engine. What really amazes me is that they've got this crazy dialogue system based on emotion or something, should be a blast! The human faces on the link aren't so hot, there's some non aliased lines too which give the realtime graphics away if you clicky the link.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Fri May 26, 2006 12:00 pm

If it's anything like KOTR it should rock. I'm generally pretty impressed with the translation from D20 to video games, mainly because so much more can be accomplished in a shorter span of time than traditional "table top" RPGs.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby unikrunk on Fri May 26, 2006 12:13 pm

Lurker Johnson wrote:If it's anything like KOTR it should rock. I'm generally pretty impressed with the translation from D20 to video games, mainly because so much more can be accomplished in a shorter span of time than traditional "table top" RPGs.

Yes, and the additional plus is that the direction of the game is not in a choke hold by some fucking annoying asshole DM with a limited imagination and ALF social skills; I tried playing DnD one time, one.

The details are hazy, but I wanted to draw my sword, and this little Struggling Background Artist tells me [i]“can’t, its stuck in its sheathâ€
Last edited by unikrunk on Fri May 26, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri May 26, 2006 12:17 pm

Normal maps are the best thing to happen to graphics in years.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed May 31, 2006 4:03 am

AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 31, 2006 4:06 am

Ok they won my trust with KOTOR, but this just looks...WOW.

I wasn't sure if I was going to buy a next-gen system, but I might have to now. Damn, they just keep pulling me back in.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed May 31, 2006 6:14 am

Meh! Its still not selling me a 360 pal
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed May 31, 2006 6:18 am

Your loss.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed May 31, 2006 6:21 am

OMG! Jamiroquai are doing the soundtrack! JK is teh hot! His funk is soooo brooding sci-fi epic..........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed May 31, 2006 6:22 am

Har-de-fucking-har. Tis from the E3 press conference, foo'!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed May 31, 2006 6:25 am

oh.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed May 31, 2006 6:27 am

Dogmatix pwns you.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed May 31, 2006 6:35 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Dogmatix pwns you.

Are you saying I have just been PWN3D?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:27 am

A new demo-ish walkthrough vid. Very cool stuff
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:11 am

They need to put a playable demo of this on Live like now. That reminds me, I need to get on working with the Aurora toolkit and getting a job at Bioware Austin. Should have played Neverwinter Nights when it first came out...
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:44 pm

Fawst wrote:They need to put a playable demo of this on Live like now. That reminds me, I need to get on working with the Aurora toolkit and getting a job at Bioware Austin. Should have played Neverwinter Nights when it first came out...

You dindt play Neverwinter when it came out! SHAME!

Working for Bioware would be awesome.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:06 pm

My computer wouldn't handle it then :\ I just started playing it though, I want to get a feel for how the game plays/works before I start building modules. It'd almost be like telling someone who has never played Pacman to draw a Pacman maze, otherwise :) The game seems decent so far.

Considering how good KOTOR was, I'm guessing NWN is just as good, or at least close. And Mass Effect... whew. That game is going to be in-sizzle-ane.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:14 pm

Fawst wrote:My computer wouldn't handle it then :\ I just started playing it though, I want to get a feel for how the game plays/works before I start building modules. It'd almost be like telling someone who has never played Pacman to draw a Pacman maze, otherwise :) The game seems decent so far.

Considering how good KOTOR was, I'm guessing NWN is just as good, or at least close. And Mass Effect... whew. That game is going to be in-sizzle-ane.

Never got to play KOTOR, but Ive heard great things.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:46 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fawst wrote:My computer wouldn't handle it then :\ I just started playing it though, I want to get a feel for how the game plays/works before I start building modules. It'd almost be like telling someone who has never played Pacman to draw a Pacman maze, otherwise :) The game seems decent so far.

Since you have a 360 now you can probably pick that game up for 7-8 bucks. I would recommend getting that experience. I'll even mail you my copy if you can't find it.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:48 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Since you have a 360 now you can probably pick that game up for 7-8 bucks. I would recommend getting that experience. I'll even mail you my copy if you can't find it.

Ill try to pick it up.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Sushi, have you played KOTOR 2? I want to pick it up, but considering it wasn't made by Bioware, I'm a little reluctant. The story for KOTOR was so damn GOOD, I have zero desire to play it if it's not even close to as entertaining. I mean, KOTOR had a brilliant story to it.

Stereos, yah, you need to get that game like today.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:56 pm

Fawst wrote:Sushi, have you played KOTOR 2? I want to pick it up, but considering it wasn't made by Bioware, I'm a little reluctant. The story for KOTOR was so damn GOOD, I have zero desire to play it if it's not even close to as entertaining. I mean, KOTOR had a brilliant story to it.

Na I haven't. Im actually not the RPG type of guy. That said, I own, KOTOR and Jade Empire. Both are pretty cool, although Jade Empire had more text the any game I have played.

Im not sure I would want to play the second one either, but who knows.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Fawst wrote:Sushi, have you played KOTOR 2? I want to pick it up, but considering it wasn't made by Bioware, I'm a little reluctant. The story for KOTOR was so damn GOOD, I have zero desire to play it if it's not even close to as entertaining. I mean, KOTOR had a brilliant story to it.

Too many games too little time. GAHHH
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:04 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

Have you seen my gamerscore? It makes you wonder how I did actually find the time to do all that. 20,000+ and I might start up gamefly again haha.

I know, im an inspiration for lifeless dorks everywhere.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:15 pm

Oh man, I totally forgot about Jade Empire! How is that? I remember people telling me it was one of the better games they had played, but it was way too short. What say you, Sushi?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:17 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Have you seen my gamerscore? It makes you wonder how I did actually find the time to do all that. 20,000+ and I might start up gamefly again haha.

I know, im an inspiration for lifeless dorks everywhere.

Hahahaha. I just finished all 7 sesons of Homicide: Life on the Street. Next up is Hustle and Spooks with some Herzog, some stoner comdies, and a couple scifi flicks, thrown in on top of reading and having a social life and of course drinking.

I have to finish Twilight princess before I start a new game though.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:19 pm

Fawst wrote:Oh man, I totally forgot about Jade Empire! How is that? I remember people telling me it was one of the better games they had played, but it was way too short. What say you, Sushi?

I say it's a great game for action-RPG fans. If you like reading, the game is perfect for you. If you get a kick out of the ancient Asian settings, it's perfect for you. If you love a pretty neat fighting system, good choice right there.

If you are like me and have the attention span of a 5-year old at the DMV, then I wouldn't get it. I just didn't like the text. It got to the point that I just started skipping over everything because it was all useless information. It really does immerse you into the storyline.

It's like Dark Tower on crack in video game form.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:04 pm

More Mass Effect info here.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:55 pm

Official release date: November 20th.

Info here.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:42 pm

IGN has some a developer walkthrough thing here.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Game Informer gives Mass Effect a 9.75.

Read it here
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:59 pm

Wow... that's an impressive review. It sounds like they delivered for all expectations. I figured there would be some AI glitches here and there, it happens in basically every game. It's amazing to see the jump in quality of games for the 360 from the early days of Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark Zero.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:12 pm

Ahhh perfect dark. Reminds me of superior frag fests on the N64 :) Mass Effect looks genious. Loved kotor.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:18 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Ahhh perfect dark. Reminds me of superior frag fests on the N64 :) Mass Effect looks genious. Loved kotor.

Sorry EH. I'm with you there but he said perfect dark ZERO which could never live up to the original.

Ahhh! who could forget running down a corridor with enemy packing heat behind you only for you to thow a laptop sentry and laugh your fucking ass off.

Muahahaha!

papalazeru

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:18 pm

Fawst wrote:Wow... that's an impressive review. It sounds like they delivered for all expectations. I figured there would be some AI glitches here and there, it happens in basically every game. It's amazing to see the jump in quality of games for the 360 from the early days of Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark Zero.

Thanksgiving weekend I will be doing NOTHING but playing this game.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:47 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Evil Hobbit wrote:Ahhh perfect dark. Reminds me of superior frag fests on the N64 :) Mass Effect looks genious. Loved kotor.

Sorry EH. I'm with you there but he said perfect dark ZERO which could never live up to the original.

Ahhh! who could forget running down a corridor with enemy packing heat behind you only for you to thow a laptop sentry and laugh your fucking ass off.

Muahahaha!

Hgaha yeah, I also loved the multiplayer. Endless games of capture the briefcase with my bro on a team with 10 bots and me and 10 bots as the opposit faction. Hilarious stuff. Or that awesome weapon which led you snipe through walls with this predator view. Loved that weapon in that mode where you all gotta kill the marked one. Rare should return to Nintendo.

Edit: I just read on a Dutch game site, a rumour that RARE would be working on a new Perfect Dark game. A gritty and greytoned version of Joanna Dark to be released in 2008...

Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:19 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Muahahaha!

Hgaha yeah, I also loved the multiplayer. Endless games of capture the briefcase with my bro on a team with 10 bots and me and 10 bots as the opposit faction. Hilarious stuff. Or that awesome weapon which led you snipe through walls with this predator view. Loved that weapon in that mode where you all gotta kill the marked one. Rare should return to Nintendo.

Edit: I just read on a Dutch game site, a rumour that RARE would be working on a new Perfect Dark game. A gritty and greytoned version of Joanna Dark to be released in 2008...

Don't you dare tease EH. Don't you dare. That would be too good to be true. If Goldeye and perfect Dark came out on the Wii Virtual game system I would, as much as it pains me, buy them but they have to use the wii controller.

Best moment ever in a rare game.....On the Severnaya bunker. I escaped the prison, killed the guard and stole his AK47 then I shot a guard on patrol through the cell window. Another guard came running out, looked at him and said, "Meh! never liked him anyway" and walked away. I pissed myself laughing.

And the best thing about PD? Including Goldeye levels...oh man was it fun to play them with the new weapons and AI especially Facility with all enemies on Vengeance and the Farsight. You'd just hide out in the far room with the automatic door and bulletproofing and try to sniper the hell out of those fuckers.

God Bless Ultimate play the game...THE best games company EVER. And that can never be disputed.

papalazeru

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:15 am

Yeah, it's a shame PD isnt getting the attention it deserves and is greatly overshadowed by halo and the rainbow six franchises on the 360. Not realy odd, Rare is a bit misplaced on the x-box. Cause their shooters are in the end so much more adventurous and fantastical they are soon called a bit kiddy by the 360 owners.

Goldeneye levels in PD was a blast! I still play the game with my bro sometimes. Goldeneye as well. The gameplay is so rock solid that the now ugly graphics simply doesnt bother us. The complex level is so much fun when playing with proximity mines!! Not one game has incorporated mines as great as goldeneye and pd. Not even halo, who has great sticky grenades but the mines are golden. Or facility where I remember putting mines at the back of the toilet doors and then hide in the shaft and laugh as the other tries to come in. Hmm, good times.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:32 am

Rare really is historically one of the best game developers ever. They basically took the idea of Mario 64 and turned out some amazing games. Especially the underated Jet Force Gemini which is still hands down my favorite game from them. It's wierd because they did shooters and platformers better than anyone. Perfect Dark Zero was a fine game in its own right but it was seriously lacking in the gameplay department. I think that's why it failed above all else. Graphically it's amazing. And Kameo is fine too. Of course I can argue that Rare is a perfect fit for Microsoft. Just go play Conker: Live and Reloaded to get a taste of what they are capable of doing as classic rare in a new generation of consoles. They wouldn't be a good fit on the Wii IMO.

I would really like a new Perfect Dark game. All they need to do is fix what was wrong, and keep all the other great parts intact. And bring back Elvis!

Just for discussion, they did a major job on DK64 and that was the last great platformer from Nintendo, a million years ago.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:07 am

Well, I kinda love the Mario Sunshine. But I have to agree that DK64 was amazing. I am still waiting for that next Donkey Kong adventure. Getting sick and tired of coco jungo mambo clap fests. Give us a DK Donkey Kong adventure. Ya know, the leader of the bunch we know him well adventures. You guys notice how Donkey Kong country games for the snes still look amazing today while the N64 graphics look realy out of date. 2d animation is much more durable.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:12 am

Yeah I actually bought Donkey Kong Country 2 for my SNES over the summer and it held up really well. Arguably the best looking one in the series is STILL the first one. And that one is by far my favorite.

I also didn't like Mario Sunshine. It had great style, and great things here and there. But, it never felt like a Mario game should. That's why Galaxies will probably dissapoint. Another 2-D game that holds up well is Sonic 3. And the Mega Man's on PS1 too.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:17 am

I have high hopes for Galaxies but I just don't like the wii-mote that much. I appreciate the innovative stuff and all but I simply prefer a normal controller. Sonic 3 is awesome. Street Fighter (snes) looks pretty good as well these days. Simple and effective. Same goes for the original Mario Kart.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:23 pm

Singapore says "Nay!" to interspecial relations in a digital format.

Or, Mass Effect BANINATED due to human/alien lesbian scene(s)!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:45 pm

Who is getting this tommorow!?!?!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:57 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Who is getting this tommorow!?!?!

Yeh, I'll be picking this up tomorrow, KOTOR was probably by single favourite xbox game so I'm looking forward to Mass Effect immensely.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Next

Return to Games