Nintendo DS Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Nintendo DS Thread

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:09 pm

Since Dino has been very busy making movies lately, I thought I'd shape the games forum up a little bit. The main change I've made is to make all of the main next-gen threads sticky, and I thought I'd also add the DS and PSP to the top of the list, since those consoles are barely a year old. I've tried to use existing threads which already contain a wealth of information, but I couldn't really find any dedicated DS threads - only the one about the DS redesign (DS-Lite)

So, if you wanna talk DS, but don't feel like starting a whole new thread to talk about a particular development/theory/piece of news, this is the place to come!

*deathly silence*

So, um......a couple of us Zoners have been PMing each other about a possible Friend Code exchange system. My feeling is that if a Zoner doesn't mind posting his/her Friend Code in public, they can do so - but it is probably wiser to do these things privately. I'll be using PMs to exchange that kind of info. With that in mind, please feel free to PM me if you want my Codes for any of the following games:

Animal Crossing: Wild World
MarioKart DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters

I'd also like to recommend this site for anybody who is into AC:WW, and wants to visit new towns - there are a whole lot of friendly people there, who are very willing to help!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:21 pm

I got one but no wireless router. I have Mario Kart, Metroid Pinball, Electroplankton, Phoenix Wright (one of the best games ever), a Japanese (and therefore useless) Nintendogs and Dai Gassou! Band Brothers.

I'm planning on getting Brain Age as I really need to lern mure stiff.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:23 pm

I'm on the fence about getting one. I haven't bought a handheld system in years...Since the first Game Boy and I am worried I will not use it...but it looks like alot of fun.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:24 pm

Wait for the smaller DS or get an older one on the cheap when they're released. I'd prefer something smaller and more portable than my cherry red jobbie I've got now, even if it is retrotastic.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:58 pm

I like the idea of the DS, but I don't have a great track record with handhelds.

The only one I've ever got a decent amount of use out of was a Game Gear. I've since had a couple of Gameboys and apart from buying a couple of games my interest in them has waned fairly quickly.

Maybe the DS-lite may peak my interest.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:22 pm

The DS is awesome for strategy games. If you dig strategy games, go for <b>Advance Wars: Dual Strike</b> and <b>Battles of The Prince of Persia</b>. Both are fairly decent turn-based strategy and the interface with the stylus works well in that environment. The machine works wonders for those long plane rides or road trips (when Mom lets me out of the basement, that is).
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Logan5 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:51 am

I bought a used DS on ebay in jan-05 and I'm still, or should I say getting more and more, happy with it.
I've got some of the mentioned games (above) but I have got to recommend two games that are way underrated; Lost in Blue and Nanostray.
Lost in Blue is a survival game where you wake up on an island after you've survived a shipwreck and have to find a way to live and hopefully escape to civilization.
Nanostray is a beautiful and extremely hard shmup.

My advice: try and find these gems in the bargain bins.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Atomic - you MUST get a router!!111

Well, not "must", but y'know - I think it would be cool if a few of us could have a race or something.

(Also - what do u think of Electroplankton? I was obsessed with it for a few days, and haven't really "played" it since. I recommend hooking your DS to a hi-fi when you play it - if you haven't already done this!)

And Lurker Johnson - totally agree about AW: Dual Strike. I loved the GBA Advance Wars games, and this is an excellent addition. I love a bit of turn-based strategy, and I think there's a game called Lost in Blue which has elements of that - with the added bonus of being able to play online via Wi-Fi. I'm really holding out for a Wi-Fi Final Fantasy or Pokémon game though - that would take turn-based games to a new level, I think.

And I highly recommend Brain Age to everybody - it's the only exercise my brain gets these days!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:10 pm

I have a wireless router, a DS and Mariokart and Animal Crossing. The rest of my games are not online. But I like playing Mariokart online (when people are actually on).
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:33 pm

jgraphix wrote:I have a wireless router, a DS and Mariokart and Animal Crossing. The rest of my games are not online. But I like playing Mariokart online (when people are actually on).

Then YOU, sir, will be receiving a PM with my Friend Codes, in the near future....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:29 pm

So you can link up through a wireless router on this thing? I thought it was only if you were within a few feet of another person with a DS. I will have to do more research.

Thanks for the recommendations <b>ThisIsTheGirl</b>, I've been wondering what my next portable game purchases should be.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:19 pm

This router connection thing sounds quite good.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:35 pm

I don't have a WIFI network. Do they make routers with wireless and wired connections? I ask because I plan on getting a Wii and I already have a comple of mchines hoooked up to my cable via 10/100 I wouldn't want to have to get wireless cards for my PCs....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:37 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
jgraphix wrote:I have a wireless router, a DS and Mariokart and Animal Crossing. The rest of my games are not online. But I like playing Mariokart online (when people are actually on).

Then YOU, sir, will be receiving a PM with my Friend Codes, in the near future....

Cool. Send it on over.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:34 pm

jgraphix wrote:Cool. Send it on over.

Done and done.

A new game called Dead and Furious has been announced by Dream On Studio for the DS. It's been described as "a House of the Dead-style arcade shooter" – interesting…

The player takes on the role of Rob Steiner, serving life in jail for a murder he didn't commit. It's up to you to find the truth behind your imprisonment. The game begins with Rob waking up in the middle of the night to find his cell door open.

The guards are missing and the prison is eerily quiet, but not for long, as you are soon fending off wave after wave of zombies. The stylus takes the place of the gun, and to take out the gangs of ghouls you just tap the screen. Drag and drop ammo to reload.

Although you are guided through the world, there are different paths to choose from, so it isn't entirely linear. You'll also be able to play in co-op Wi-Fi which sounds pretty darn cool. Early screens here:

Incoming from Buena Vista Games is a new action orientated RPG entitled Spectrobes.

The game introduces two characters named Rallen and Jeena who are "junior Interplanetary Patrol officers". They discover mysterious, prehistoric creatures called Spectrobes that possess special powers. These Spectrobes hold the key to defeating a vicious and merciless force, known only as the Krawl, that threatens to destroy the galaxy. The two heroes embark on a mission to save their galaxy – to do so they must excavate, awaken, train and collect all the Spectrobes they can and battle to defeat the Krawl.

Developed in Japan, Spectrobes is a new anime-inspired action RPG franchise that combines characters, story and innovative gameplay. Spectrobes allows players to excavate, train and battle with nearly 500 unique monsters. It sounds a bit like a cross between Pokémon and Final Fantasy. Cool:

ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:43 am

DS Lite went on sale in the US at the weekend. Some stats about the launch are starting to come through now:

• The system sold more than 136,500 units in just two days, with many retail outlets selling out in that period.

• The Lite is outperforming 2003's launch sales of Nintendo's behemoth Game Boy Advance SP by over 12 percent.

• Retailers report that sales of Brain Age tripled over the previous week, and New Super Mario Bros sales doubled over the same period.

• After going on sale May 15, New Super Mario Bros. sold at a nonstop rate of one every four seconds nationwide during the reporting period.

• New Super Mario Bros. emerged as the No. 1 game of the month, even though it was in stores for just 13 days of the four-week reporting period.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:26 am

Damn, I am going to have to get a DS now, Spectrobes looks like my kind of game.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:03 am

The Lite is coming out next Friday, DL. personally, I'd wait for that because it's quite a lot less cumbersome. I'm getting a matt black one - wheee!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brendonconnelly on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:41 am

Bottom line - either DS is sweet as the proverbial nut. Trauma Centre, Phoenix Wright and Advance Wars all deserve sequels. And now.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:44 am

The New Super Mario Bros. game rocks as well.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:11 am

I think a Phoenix Wright sequel is already in the works - and the Trauma Center sequel is coming out on the Wii! I find the prospect of conducting keyhole surgery with the Wiimote quite........arousing.

(I'm sure we'll see another DS Trauma Center game too - it's totally perfect for the interface)
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:22 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I find the prospect of conducting keyhole surgery with the Wiimote quite........arousing.

Um...................eww.

Seriously though:

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:A Phoenix Wright sequel is already in the works - and the Trauma Center sequel is coming out on the Wii!

This is all true
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:28 am

You won't be saying "eww" when I'm saving your life with a triple-bypass, or doing some hand-reduction surgery on you, young man!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:43 am

Well if you do it aroused I may have to pass... :)
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:51 am

You'll be heavily sedated, and completely at my mercy, I'm afraid!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:07 am

I think I might break down and get a DS Lite, I do love me some Mario Bros.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby tfactor on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:13 am

TITG one of the games above sounds like it resembles Pikman a little bit (spectrobes I think) - an alien species, excavation (dig up), under your control to battle other aliens or whatever.

I don't know if you have a Gamecube but Pikman was one of the highlights of the system (for me anyway) so it doesn't surprise me they would bridge over to thier portable unit with the game.

And if this is the case I want a DS! Though I'm being honest when I say the reload on that zombie game sounds like a PITA (pain in the ass), is there no quick reload button? I mean does this thing heavily call upon the touchscreen for actual game play? because that doesn't sound real great to me.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:42 am

This will probably only mean something to UK zoners, but they have remade The New Zealand Story for the DS!! Every kid in my neighbourhood had this when I was a kid. Very cool platform game. I don't have much, apart from these screenshots and boxart images!

tfactor wrote:TITG one of the games above sounds like it resembles Pikman a little bit (spectrobes I think) - an alien species, excavation (dig up), under your control to battle other aliens or whatever.

I don't know if you have a Gamecube but Pikmin was one of the highlights of the system (for me anyway) so it doesn't surprise me they would bridge over to thier portable unit with the game.

Sorry, I missed this somehow T.

I sure did have a GC and Pikmin - really cool game! There's a Wii game called Elebits which looks kinda similar too. I need that announcement about the Wiilease date to come NOW!!!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Mr. Hyde on Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:06 pm

So i was uber hesitant about getting one.. then NEW supermario bros. came out.. and i just had to have it. Well that AND the DS Lite just dropped. When my g/f first saw it.. she thought it was a new ipod.. hah! Anyways, yea.. so since getting it i've got; New Supermario Bro, CASTLEVANIA: DAWN OF SORROW, Advanced wars, and Wario: Touch.. i love all the games! I play it randomly throughout the day.. andi love how u can just flip it closed.. then come right back to it later.. very handy.. very great. My one complaint is if i hold it to long.. i get insane cramps in my hands.. haha.. but its so worth it. I even got my PSP loving friend to go out and buy a DS.. SHIZAM! Nintendo is climbing back up, IMO, they are the only company trying to be inovative with games..
Mr. Hyde
GLIB

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:14 pm

Yeah I have the PSP and the DS and I really do end up playing the DS more. Except for Loco Roco I have not played the PSP in a while. The DS games are just more fun...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is looking mighty promising.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:05 pm

TITG... oh my god. I'm not usually struck my a major flashback moment but... BANG!

I use to love that game so much, it was so friggen fun, but alas it fell away into the depths of my mind never to be recovered, until now.

Next we'll be chatting about James Pond.

So as a christmas pressie for my self would all of you kids recomend it??????
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:46 pm

Oooh, they've announced Dragon Quest IX for the DS!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:09 pm

COOL!

I'm using mine for internet overseas... the browser is slow, but I can gmail, AICN and myspaz!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:48 am

Wolfpack wrote:Oooh, they've announced Dragon Quest IX for the DS!

I played the one on the Cube (or was it PS2) and it was sooooooo much fun. I am trying to ween my self off of RPG's as the amount of time involved in playing one just kills me some times.

But playing one on a portable device teases me so...

I'll be buying a DS on the morrow I hope so I'll have to hop on and get some friend codes from you kids for Mario Kart. Does anyone here still play online???
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:15 am

Anyone?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:19 am

JEEEEX don'[t add mroe threads! i'm getting knackered! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:43 am

Yea!

I got my DS, finally, on the weekend. Navy Blue... mmmm... now for the games. And these codes you 'cool' people keep talking about.

Have any of you had any trouble with the Wi-fi? I've had a go at running it but it just doesn't recognise I have a connection. The Nintendo site sucks for help as well. I guess that they're use to there products working on command.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:47 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:Have any of you had any trouble with the Wi-fi? I've had a go at running it but it just doesn't recognise I have a connection. The Nintendo site sucks for help as well. I guess that they're use to there products working on command.

Sorry sir. Mine works on command...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:49 am

Damn. It was second hand so maybe I have to set something up.

Thanks for trying bob...

Anyone else????

Anyone played Mario 3 v3 yet? SOOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!! I'm really suprised. It could be a favourite. I think it's multiplayer as well.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:41 pm

The Phoenix Wright sequel came out in the States today. That lawyer sure is one master debater. :D
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby jrkerr on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:01 am

friend code available

ff3
giant killer
master black, white, red mage, freelancer, ranger,
thief, bard, geomancer, black belt, etc
you can have the reward item before you master the job
if I send you a card.

castlevania portrait of ruin
I have 99.7% of all items, so I can sell you
new york steak, the 3 rare foods, etc
which you'll need for lv 25 or lv 1 hard runs
where 9 of each potion just won't cut it.

Obviously I need to trade for similar and it requires somebody
smart enough to have stockpiled this stuff, set up a wifi connector,
and discerned that the free server doesnt store shit so that we'd
have to co-ordinate being on at the same time.

jrkerrdog at hotmail
cheers
jrkerr
GLIB

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:13 am

jrkerr wrote:friend code available

ff3
giant killer
if I send you a card.

jrkerrdog at hotmail
cheers

Well same to you then, asshole!
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:02 am

Adam Balm wrote:

ff3
giant killer
if I send you a card.

jrkerrdog at hotmail
cheers

Well same to you then, asshole!

Yeah, and just after I hand over the goods you shout "look out, cops" and disappear down a virtual alley. :(
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:34 am

ff3
giant killer
if I send you a card.

jrkerrdog at hotmail
cheers

What an odd post. Pimping his virtual wares on the Zone. What is this Ebay? What a dodgy bastard.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:48 am

Utterly bizarre.

jrkerr, unfortunately there are only a handful of DS user on The Zone, and I don't think any of them are Castlevania or FF players.

Monkey: I've been interested in the Mario 3x3 game for a while - I might pick one up (although Winning Eleven is coming out fairly soon, and I'm superpumped about that badboy). It's wi-fi multi, right? The wifi games are my faves, generally. Have you got your home wifi set up to work on the DS yet? Some routers simply don't work with the DS, I hope yours isn't one of them. I have a Belkin which I don't really need anymore, was gonna sell it on eBay but I'd consider flogging it to you if you're desperate. It cost me £50, I'd be willing to let it go for half that. Have a think, I'll need to check a couple of things before I can say whether or not I can definitely sell it.

Hopefully, you got your wifi to work and this is all pointless discussion!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:20 am

I have a feeling that it may be the squats wi-fi. It can be great, but does log off every now and again, and the cat ude to sleep next to the router. (when we had a cat, he's not lost in teh countryside somewhere :shock:) I can kinda connect at my GF's cafe in town so I know that it works. I'll have to test it and get back to you. I really want to play MK DS against some of you guys. :D

I'm a FF player. Love it actually, but I am trying to cut down my RPG play time. I just don't have 100+ hours to spend on a game any more.

If your coming along to the Fountain meetup TITG I'll bring Mario 3*3 along so you can try before you buy. I have a few games (came with the DS. It's a Japanese version so that's why I have some advanced release games), so if there are any others you want to have a play with before you buy them let me know and I'll bring those along as well.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:58 pm

ff3
giant killer
if I send you a card.

jrkerrdog at hotmail
cheers

All I can say is, "WTF?"
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Wolfpack wrote:

ff3
giant killer
if I send you a card.

jrkerrdog at hotmail
cheers

All I can say is, "WTF?"

"Wow thats fascinating" ????
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:17 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
Wolfpack wrote: "WTF?"

"Wow thats fascinating" ????

Is that what that stands for? I always thought it was something else...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Next

Return to Games