Broken Sword 4: Angel of Death Review

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Broken Sword 4: Angel of Death Review

Postby papalazeru on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:42 pm

Following on the retro trend of point 'n' click adventures George is back in an unexpected sequel to the conclusion of the Broken sword trilogy.

Having read previous material concerning this game I am aware that the producer wanted to leave it at the trilogy but Revolution Software went on to make a 4th (I wonder if it was a money decision?). Using a tweaked version of Broken Sword 3's engine, a new point 'n' click adventure is just what everybody needs.....or so I thought.

I played through Broken sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon and enjoyed the game. It had a certain panache and flair, that and the fact that Im a point 'n' click whore - Thank you Zak McKraken and the Alien mind benders.

Starting off as a lowly bail bonds man quickly the game takes an energetic start when a women comes to hire you for protection. Within a few seconds of starting the game you are trapped. Shock, Horror! or should I say....Schlock!

From the off...the characters are dull and cliché. From the typical Mafia type characters, to your friends and the people around you. BS3 felts like an Indiana Jones....this feels more like 'King Solomons mines' with Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone, something that you realise was made around the same time and looks 4 times as dated.

I'm not even going to bother with the story because it really isn't worth me bothering with something so uninvolving. Contrived clap trap and dull - there's my quote for this game. As for a point 'n' click adventure.....there was less of the point and more of the click anywhere I could. Every scenario, every room and every corner had objects and I couldn't do anything with them. Even the cursor got bored and wouldn't change to display something. The choices in your interaction are limited like an Alzheimic escapologist desperately wondering what he's doing on stage in a straight jacket and a guilotine above his head. Yawn yawn yawn! All the way.....its tiresome.

Another main factor in this type of game are the puzzles....'Are the puzzle cool though?', 'Does it take time to solve?'. Apart from the fact that its incredibly difficult to click on anything and the 'control' system(I use the term loosely here) choses the most inopportune interactive command on the left click, the puzzles are just plain wank. As with the characters...Cliché cliché cliché. So much of it is done and dusted in a formula which still has some of the best potential. Its not to say that there aren't 'diamonds in the rough', the hacking utility provides some of the best puzzles and though hard and short lived remind me of the old days of deflector. The problem being that it is hardly explained and what each symbol is rather annoying. Some puzzles are as plain as the nose on your face, others are just so obscure and tedious that you feel that it's not worth it. That, crippled with the fact that you can't skip cutscenes and have to go through the same rigmorol if you die, really makes you wish the game would end soon.

There are so many loose moments here its difficult to make a short concise review of it. The control system is terrible. Using Arrow keys to navigate the playing field - for a start its difficult enough with the dodgy camera angles but when theres a switch its even worse, the last key you press moves your player in an opposite direction. Although Im not a fan, Resident Evil did this twice as well without detracting from the gameplay.
Graphically, this game has not moved on since 2 years ago - if you are paying full price for this, feel cheated.

This is what Knightrider 2000 felt like to the series. Such a let down, such a cash in, they sold their soul and I hope they don't win.

Angel of death? More like say your prayers.

Wait for Sam n max 2 (soon brothers), or maybe a new Monkey Island but BS4 is full of BS(the other BS).

6/10 It could be worse but it certainly could be a hell of alot better.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:49 am

Thanks for that, Papa. Guess I'm not gonna buy it after all. I was a big adventure game fan until quite recently, when every single release seemed to suck. The only ones I get a kick out of now are Phoenix Wright on DS and the occasional Kheops studio release.

I wouldn't hold out huge hopes for the EPISODIC Sam N Max 2, as they have less budget than they did and the Bone games haven't been amazingly mindblowing so far.

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:58 am

Nice review Papa...I used to go crazy for point 'n' click fun - to this day I name "Indiana Jones/Fate of Atlantis" and "Beneath a Steel Sky" as amongst my favourite games played.

I've heard so many good reviews of the other BS games in the past (to my shame I have not played them) that I would most likely have bought this game blind.

The King Solomon's Mines comparsion, aside from giving me my first laugh of the day, means that I will be going nowhere near this game.....ever. Not even on Boxing Day when the decrepid Uncle comes to visit.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday

Postby papalazeru on Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:17 pm didn't like King Solomon's Mines...Boo!

You can dress a turd up in a tuxedo but it will always stink.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Logan5 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:50 am

Broken Sword has always been the feeble-minded wannabe of the far better adventure series Gabriel Knight Chronicles.
The characters even look alike.

Bah. Stupid rip-off.

I command everyone to find and play:
Sins of the Fathers
The Beast Within
Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned

Now, godammit! Now!

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:25 am

Jane Jensen, creator of the Gabriel Knight series, actually wrote novelizations of the first two games. I read "Sins of the Fathers" and found actually can double as a walkthrough. Of course, walkthroughs are the tool of Satan.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:48 am

Ha, thanks for the 'fo papa. I too can recommend all the other games mentioned in this thread. There really is nothing better than a good stash of spliff and a graphic adventure to chew over. Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned was great for that.

I can also recommend "Barrow Hill" , a game set in England's highly spooky South West. Don't expect too much and you will be rewarded by a cracking atmosphere and damp as a pasty cornish humour.

Oh yeah and Sam and Max 2 is sadly just a little tedious too :( :( I'll try and complete the first ep (culture shock) if I can be bothered.
I AM fucking Zen

Re: Broken Sword 4: Angel of Death Review

Postby madwolf on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Not so convincing reviews.....but still i'm gonna by because of my curiosity why i was not convinced.

Return to Games