Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Postby tfactor on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:42 pm

So I just wanted to pop in here and let some people know a truth I was not savy too myself, this game is pretty much the same thing as the last 2 xmen: legends games.

Now don't get me wrong I totally love both of those games, since my house enjoys all things superhero and obviously this allows the option of 3 & 4 player gaming. But I just rewatched all the trailers for this game and realized they are extremely misleading.

The trailers are only showing the "movie" segments of the game - not the actual game play. So don't be fooled by these shannanigans, this is pretty much the same game as legends but with the obvious change of having characters outside of xmen.

we like it, but we are very happy we rented this before we purchased. As this was not at all what we were expecting. Now we are playing this on xbox so I don't know if there is a dramatic improvement in plaing this on a "next gen" system. has anyone played this on 360?
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:44 pm

I have not played this on the 360 but I think my brother has and I'll obtain a report from him.

At any rate, thanks for the fair warning. I hate it when I buy a game (or even when I rent one) and it's not what it's made out to be.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby Vegeta on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:53 pm

I never played the X-Men games, but Ultimate Alliance is pretty fun.
Oh and I've been complaining for years that they never show actual gameplay in most video game advertisements, just the movies in the game... Grrrr!
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:04 pm

Vegeta wrote:Oh and I've been complaining for years that they never show actual gameplay in most video game advertisements, just the movies in the game... Grrrr!

Hells yes. Fuck that shit. And even thought the Grand Theft Auto ones do this a bit, at least they use the game's engine for it all instead of some pre-rendered, way-prettier-than-the-game BS.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby offtheset on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:16 pm

This game really is a total fucking blast.
I'd love some feedback on my site:

http://www.MovieSet.com
User avatar
offtheset
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:03 pm

tfactor wrote:has anyone played this on 360?


Yes. I haven't played it on current-gen systems so I don't know how it compares, but it looks pretty damn spiffy on the 360. They overdid it on the shiny-texture effect IMO, but overall the graphics are great.

Sure, it plays pretty much the same as XML 1 and 2, but I loved those games so I don't mind it. Leveling up and whatnot is not quite as deep and I don't care for the fact you can only equip one item at a time. The costume system is interesting - personally I don't really like it, I'd rather have the freedom to choose my character's look independent of his/her attributes and have those stats remain if I decide I want a different costume, but it's an interesting system in theory.

The biggest draw for me is the character selection - finally getting to play as members of the Avengers and Fantastic Four in a good game is a nice switch, and I love the variety. Who the hell ever thought we'd get to play as Elektra, Luke Cage, Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, and Ghost Rider in the same game? I've been playing as Moon Knight almost exclusively because, I mean, Moon Knight! How cool is that?

Despite its flaws, this is the game I dreamed about as a kid.
User avatar
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: The Big Blue Velour Marble

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:07 pm

I beat the game like 3 times.

I am now going through the game on hard for fun with LVL 99 characters. Badass.
User avatar
ONeillSG1
ADAMA
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am
Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Re: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Postby tfactor on Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:20 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
tfactor wrote:has anyone played this on 360?


Yes. I haven't played it on current-gen systems so I don't know how it compares, but it looks pretty damn spiffy on the 360. They overdid it on the shiny-texture effect IMO, but overall the graphics are great.

Sure, it plays pretty much the same as XML 1 and 2, but I loved those games so I don't mind it. Leveling up and whatnot is not quite as deep and I don't care for the fact you can only equip one item at a time. The costume system is interesting - personally I don't really like it, I'd rather have the freedom to choose my character's look independent of his/her attributes and have those stats remain if I decide I want a different costume, but it's an interesting system in theory.

The biggest draw for me is the character selection - finally getting to play as members of the Avengers and Fantastic Four in a good game is a nice switch, and I love the variety. Who the hell ever thought we'd get to play as Elektra, Luke Cage, Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, and Ghost Rider in the same game? I've been playing as Moon Knight almost exclusively because, I mean, Moon Knight! How cool is that?

Despite its flaws, this is the game I dreamed about as a kid.


We haven't unlocked moonlight yet, but we did figure out a hell of a cheat last night - though it is a bit obvious. Whenever you get one of the mini games, you can keep replaying it and building your stats & skills as long as you DO NOT finish the mission.

Athena and I did this last night for about 6 hours, actually we restarted the whole game so we could really blow up every characters abilities and the various costumes, but couldn't agree with you more there TGM; the game is definitely badass and a ton of fun to play. I was a little pissed though not knowing it was the same style as the legend games ahead of time. I guess I was just expecting more, but I am still very pleased - in fact we played until like 2am last night, getting up for work today SUCKED!! - and of course we're never going to finish the bitch before saturday (when I start getting late / "restocking" fees from blockbuster - bastards!

anyway yes I recommend checking it out but I just thought everyone should be forewarned that this is not something technically "new". I mean the game play, the moves, the characters are all new and the story too, but the format & code is regurgitated
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:31 pm

Oh - that's a bit of a shame then :cry:

OK - two questions:

Does the feature where you can grow Teams by keeping their selection consistent make any difference at all? You know like - always keep the same four together and they get stronger as a team.

and

I loved the last two X-Men games, but the one thing I did not love about them was spending half my time returning to camp to sell off a whole bunch of equipment that was completely redundant to use.....just to earn enough cash to get through the level. Is this still at the same levels or does it not occupy so much time in the new game?
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
User avatar
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6434
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Crawling along a razor's edge

Re: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:40 pm

tfactor wrote:We haven't unlocked moonlight yet, but we did figure out a hell of a cheat last night - though it is a bit obvious. Whenever you get one of the mini games, you can keep replaying it and building your stats & skills as long as you DO NOT finish the mission.

Athena and I did this last night for about 6 hours, actually we restarted the whole game so we could really blow up every characters abilities and the various costumes, but couldn't agree with you more there TGM; the game is definitely badass and a ton of fun to play. I was a little pissed though not knowing it was the same style as the legend games ahead of time. I guess I was just expecting more, but I am still very pleased - in fact we played until like 2am last night, getting up for work today SUCKED!! - and of course we're never going to finish the bitch before saturday (when I start getting late / "restocking" fees from blockbuster - bastards!

anyway yes I recommend checking it out but I just thought everyone should be forewarned that this is not something technically "new". I mean the game play, the moves, the characters are all new and the story too, but the format & code is regurgitated


I think Moon Knight is a next-gen exclusive, unfortunately.

Glad you're enjoying the game too, trev. Like you said, it's not really anything new but if you're a fan of that type of game it's a helluva good time.

Doc Holliday wrote:Does the feature where you can grow Teams by keeping their selection consistent make any difference at all? You know like - always keep the same four together and they get stronger as a team.


I don't think I've played as much as tfactor or ONeill, but I'll try to answer these. Yes, creating your own team makes those characters stronger together. The way it works is you create a team name and all that, then you pick characters for your roster. You can then add stats to the team as a whole (team defense, etc.), one of those being the ability to add more members to the team. I'm not sure whether playing together as a team increases individual XP on top of those stat bonuses, but maybe someone else can shed light on that.

Doc Holliday wrote:I loved the last two X-Men games, but the one thing I did not love about them was spending half my time returning to camp to sell off a whole bunch of equipment that was completely redundant to use.....just to earn enough cash to get through the level. Is this still at the same levels or does it not occupy so much time in the new game?


This doesn't seem to be nearly as big a problem as before, at least not while I've played. For one thing there seem to be far fewer items, which are usually only given after you defeat bosses. Another thing is, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears each character has a separate item stash. What I mean is, say Deadpool tries to pick up a piece of equipment but can't because his inventory is full. If you select another character, that person may be able to pick up the item. Again, I'm not entirely sure this is correct since I've seen the same item in multiple characters' inventories, but it appears things are kept segregated.
User avatar
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: The Big Blue Velour Marble

Re: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:05 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:I don't think I've played as much as tfactor or ONeill, but I'll try to answer these. Yes, creating your own team makes those characters stronger together. The way it works is you create a team name and all that, then you pick characters for your roster. You can then add stats to the team as a whole (team defense, etc.), one of those being the ability to add more members to the team. I'm not sure whether playing together as a team increases individual XP on top of those stat bonuses, but maybe someone else can shed light on that.


SPOILERS AHEAD!!!! YE BE WARNED!!!!

You hit it on the head about the team stats. I have 9 people on my not so originally named "Avengers Next". Although, I use the X-Men logo to meld the two groups. It's a post-Civil War thing for me I guess.

As for a boost in XP, the only thing that really does that is the costume-specific boosts or the Norn Stones picked up after you beat Loki.

BTW:

Why don't you guys post your starting 4 so to say and your bench team, along with their names.

I'll start:

Avengers Next

Starting 4:

Deadpool
Iron Man
Daredevil
Spiderman

Bench:
Captain America
Spider Woman
Thor
Ms. Marvel
Wolverine
Thing

I think that's all of them.

This is my four go around (I played once on each difficulty, with my old stats for the first time on Hard) and now I am using lvl. 99 players via a cheat.

Hey, I earned it.

PS: Black Panther and Elektra are completely worthless.
User avatar
ONeillSG1
ADAMA
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am
Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Re: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:10 pm

Cool idea, ONeill.

Team Awesome

Starting:
Moon Knight
Deadpool
Thor
Captain America

Bench:
Luke Cage
Iron Man

ONeillSG1 wrote:PS: Black Panther and Elektra are completely worthless.


:( I was looking forward to Black Panther.

So you like Daredevil? I haven't tried him yet but my roommate was so unimpressed with DD that he didn't even bother to save after unlocking him.
User avatar
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: The Big Blue Velour Marble

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:36 pm

I like Daredevil just for the cool factor of having the Yellow Costume.

His moves are ok. Blind Sense is UBER good though.

I think the one character who is not one of the premiere Marvel coolies that rocks is Spider-Woman. Especially in her Spider-Girl costume. Team her, Spidey in the Civil War suit, Iron Man in the Ultimates suit and The Thing, and I got PWNAGE!!!

Best move in the game (when super-charged): Unibeam. Clears rooms better than Cap's shield. It's like pinball killing.
User avatar
ONeillSG1
ADAMA
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am
Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:47 am

Thanks Garbage Man - so thias team thing...am I right in thinking you can have several team dynamic going at once? Like....as long as you keep, say, Thor, Spidey, Woplverine and Captain America together, their team stats keep imporving.....but then if you bench them and bring on, say, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, Dr Strange and Ghost Rider then you get different team stats and you improve those separately (and if so, do your original team's stats get kept or do you lose them when you change teams?)

This game was supposed to come out in the UK on 10/6 but is so far nowhere to be found - anyone got the lowdown skinny on the UK release date? I'm itching to play this!!
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
User avatar
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6434
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Crawling along a razor's edge

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:32 am

Methinks it's today, old man!

I'm quite excited by it. Gonna trade Lego Star Wars 2 and a couple of other games for it. Don't get me wrong, love Lego Star Wars, but I'm a person who generally enjoys games once through and unlocking little lego characters doesn't do it for me!

However, unlocking superheroes, I can dig that...
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:11 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Methinks it's today, old man!

I'm quite excited by it. Gonna trade Lego Star Wars 2 and a couple of other games for it. Don't get me wrong, love Lego Star Wars, but I'm a person who generally enjoys games once through and unlocking little lego characters doesn't do it for me!

However, unlocking superheroes, I can dig that...


Oh happy day! :D All of a sudden I'm ok with the fact I have nothing to do all weekend - oh fickle finger of fate, you tickle me under the chin once more!

PURRR PURRRR PURRRRRR

*rolls on back*
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
User avatar
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6434
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Crawling along a razor's edge

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:17 am

C'mere... C'mere!!!

*tickles Doc's belly*

Now go gettum!

*throws a copy of M:UA into the garden for Doc to play with*
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby El Borak on Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:19 pm

i rented this game for ps2 and it was pretty awesome. never played x-legends but the gameplay is fun. GR rules of course and hopefully i'll be getting this soon.
User avatar
El Borak
GLIB
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: FL, USA

Postby The Ginger Man on Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:37 pm

I really like XL 1, XL 2 was fun but waaaaay to much of the same thing imo. got very old by the end. i popped this into the system at work and played co-op. by the end of the 1st level we all died on purpose just so we could stop playing. not saying the game is bad, you like what you like, but it was just soooo boring for us. the multiple character thing lost its glory once we realized the choice was basically "who do you want to look like when you punch generic robots?"
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle
 
Posts: 2883
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:35 am

Postby El Borak on Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:39 pm

yeah but sometimes repetitious button mashing really hits the spot.
and there are a lot of powers to use once you figure them out.
User avatar
El Borak
GLIB
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: FL, USA

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:54 pm

The GBA version has been panned by critics as pure monkey spunk.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
User avatar
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:14 pm

Wolfpack wrote:The GBA version has been panned by critics as pure monkey spunk.


*considers making filthy "monkey spunk" joke, decides against it*
User avatar
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: The Big Blue Velour Marble

Postby bluebottle on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:28 pm

The most fun i've had playing this game is unlocking all the different costumes.

I know... that makes me Dumbledore.

Btw, it IS an awesome game, but it's hard to play Spiderman if you've ever played Spiderman 2 or Ultimate Spiderman...

Are there plans for a Marvel MMPORG?
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:45 pm

Wait. I no unnerstan.

Can you play Ultimate characters or is this strictly 616?
Image
User avatar
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 10806
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:59 pm
Location: factored in this happening when it has happened

Postby Chilli on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:48 pm

Its a bit of both Adam.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:49 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I know... that makes me Dumbledore.

Are there plans for a Marvel MMPORG?


No, being Canadian makes you Dumbledore.

It sounds like one is in the works, but it might be exclusive to the 360, as Microsoft is working on it...

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/marvelmmorpg/index.html

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/marvelmmorpg/news_6129036.html
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:51 pm

Chilli wrote:Its a bit of both Adam.


Holy shit.

Any Ultimate FF characters? If so, I know what's going in my stocking this year....
Image
User avatar
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 10806
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:59 pm
Location: factored in this happening when it has happened

Postby Chilli on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:55 pm

Ultimate Blade is in there. Basically the characters have multiple costumes, so the more points you get etc.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:17 am

The Ginger Man wrote:I really like XL 1, XL 2 was fun but waaaaay to much of the same thing imo. got very old by the end. i popped this into the system at work and played co-op. by the end of the 1st level we all died on purpose just so we could stop playing. not saying the game is bad, you like what you like, but it was just soooo boring for us. the multiple character thing lost its glory once we realized the choice was basically "who do you want to look like when you punch generic robots?"


Late response....but......You could say that about any game. "what car do you want to drive around circles in." and "what gun do you want to shoot everything with." and "how many hours does it take to level up a random asian RPG character to 100."
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Destroying Sony Headquarters in Japan

Postby Vegeta on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:27 am

Starting 4:

Deadpool
Blade
Ghostrider
Wolverine

Bench:

Spiderman
Ironman
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby Chilli on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:56 am

Preferred Team

TEAM FUCK YOU SCARWISE
Wolverine
Blade
Deadpool
Nick Fury
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Re: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Postby darkinvader on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:56 am

I beat the game like 3 times.

Ows.....really? what is your proof?
darkinvader
GLIB
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:52 am


Return to Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest