Gaming News and Stuff!!! (Pick a format, any format...)

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Re: Gaming News and Stuff!!! (Pick a format, any format...)

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:39 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic Park

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:05 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:04 pm

GTA 4 with the physics altered. Cars with friction switched off are scary beasts.

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: Jurassic Park

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:00 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: WWF ALL STARS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:56 pm

From IGN:
WWE All Stars: Hitting the Mat
Holy crap, the Macho Man Randy Savage is in WWE All Stars. After years of avoiding WWE products, the Macho Man is coming back as part of the game's roster that's made up of WWE Legends and current Superstars. This is huge. This is awesome.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:53 pm

What do you guys think about L.A. NOIRE?

I feel like it is at a high risk of just being a shitload of cut scenes with not enough interactive feeling and action.

I'm pretty skeptical, I'll wait for the reviews when it comes out.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: Guillermo Del Toro's 'Insane'

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:23 am

From CVG:
Del Toro: 'Games the cornerstone of narrative in next decade'
Mike Jackson wrote:Video games will "completely take over storytelling in our society" in the not too distant future, believes Guillermo del Toro.

The movie director, who's now heading development on his first game, Insane, with THQ and Volition, reckons games, not Hollywood, will be the powerhouse of creative storytelling within the next ten years.

"I'm 46, I've been playing video games since they were essentially made available to the public. I've seen the form evolve from total reflex coordination gaming into a true narrative powerhouse," he said in the latest issue of Game Informer magazine.

"I believe video games are going to be the cornerstone of narrative in the next decade," he added. "As a storyteller it is my duty to get going on learning the language not as a gamer, but as a storyteller."

Later in the interview, del Toro reiterated: "I think video games are going to completely take over storytelling in our society, and I firmly believe, if I'm lucky and blessed enough, and if I prove adept at this, I'll be evolving with the form into storytelling of this kind."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Animales de la Muerte

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:34 pm

From IGN:
Animales de la Muerte Still Undead - But it may or may not find its way to WiiWare.
Daemon Hatfield wrote:Although it was originally planned for WiiWare, Animales de la Muerte is now being prepped for Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, and Steam.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Ninja Gaiden III: A Cut Above the Rest

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:14 pm

IGN sits down with Team Ninja studio head Yosuke Hayashi.
In June 2008, famed Ninja Gaiden developer and Team Ninja studio head, Tomonobu Itagaki, resigned from his position. He has since formed his own company, Valhalla Games, and plans to release his new game, Devil's Third, under THQ. Tasked with replacing him was Yosuke Hayashi, who gained notoriety after directing the Ninja Gaiden Sigma series on PlayStation 3, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword on Nintendo DS, and Metroid: Other M on Wii.

Yosuke's two upcoming projects include Ninja Gaiden III for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS. IGN recently sat down with Yosuke to get the latest on those titles, what he thinks about Japanese game development, and if his studio will ever work with Nintendo again.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 am

Spandau Belly wrote:What do you guys think about L.A. NOIRE?

I feel like it is at a high risk of just being a shitload of cut scenes with not enough interactive feeling and action.

Possibly. I read that it's not an open-world game in the sense of GTA IV, but rather an adventure game. Kind of like the first Mafia game on the original Xbox.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:What do you guys think about L.A. NOIRE?

I'd have to concur. With gamers getting to pretty much blow up a planet, something like this doesn't seem like it'll be able to satiate most gamers' desires.

As far as newer games go, anyone heard anything good about Two Worlds II or Elder Scrolls: Skyrim? It just seems that with the power of the new consoles, we'd get more RPGs, but it seems like the shit is just outweighing the gold these days.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Im actually really looking forward to LA Noire. You are supposed to have a lot of control over how the investigations go and these choices will have a lot of impact on how the story progresses.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:34 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Im actually really looking forward to LA Noire. You are supposed to have a lot of control over how the investigations go and these choices will have a lot of impact on how the story progresses.

Me too. This vid illumuninates the gameplay a bit. Looks like something I will really enjoy, being a total James Ellroy nut.

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:58 am

DAMN. Just, DAMN.

I must have that game.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby papalazeru on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Crysis 2 leaked onto the internet 50 days before launch!!!!!

I'm not touching that with a 50ft pole. I'll wait for the full game to arrive but Jesus, that's got to be a set back for them.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:20 pm

papalazeru wrote:Crysis 2 leaked onto the internet 50 days before launch!!!!!

I'm not touching that with a 50ft pole. I'll wait for the full game to arrive but Jesus, that's got to be a set back for them.

Be ready for secuROM & other shit things.

The only good thing about the leak is that it includes a way to get around those "anti-piracy" things that prevent you from installing the game on more than one system or only allow for 5 installations.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:39 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:DAMN. Just, DAMN.

I must have that game.

Yeah. LA Noire is my most anticipated title of the year. Back when I saw the first Red Dead vids, I knew it was going to be a special game, and a contender for GOTY (which it won, in my opinion), and I have a eerily similar feeling about LA Noire, even though it looks to be a drastically different game.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:DAMN. Just, DAMN.

I must have that game.

Yeah. LA Noire is my most anticipated title of the year. Back when I saw the first Red Dead vids, I knew it was going to be a special game, and a contender for GOTY (which it won, in my opinion), and I have a eerily similar feeling about LA Noire, even though it looks to be a drastically different game.

They way they get the motion capture of people speaking is going to change not only games, but animation in general.
Bring on the future. I'm ready.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Yeah. Games, but I think the film industry is going to use it too. Imagine not having to pay animators to animate human CG character's faces anymore. This tech is going to explode after this game is a hit.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:25 am

i can see myself losing all sorts of time playing that game.....damn, and i had made a resolution to be more productive in my "free" time this year, too

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Pac-Man

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:52 am

Five things you never knew about Pac-Man
Chris Morris wrote:Having been a part of the pop-culture landscape for over 30 years now, Pac-Man is a pretty familiar character.

He has adorned cereal boxes, been the star of a Saturday morning cartoon program and appeared on virtually every gaming platform to have ever been released.

That's not just systems from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. It also includes essentially every cell phone that has a screen, long-dead portable systems and plug-and-play devices for your TV. Along the way, the little pellet-muncher has built an empire that has allowed publisher Namco-Bandai to survive the worst the economy could throw at it.

But even the most well known icons have their secrets. This week, at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, Toru Iwatani, creator of the game, offered a postmortem on the industry's biggest franchise-and told a few tales most fans have probably never heard.

Here are the five most surprising:

The point of the game was to attract girls

While today's player is slightly more likely to be male, gaming in the late 1970s was pretty much exclusively a men's club. Iwatani wanted to change this, creating something that could appeal to both women and families, he says.

"The reason I created Pac-Man was because we wanted to attract female gamers," he says. "Back then, there were no home games. People had to go to the arcade center to play games. That was a playground for boys. It was dirty and smelly. So we wanted to include female players, so it would become cleaner and brighter."

Each ghost had specific orders

When you play the game, it might seem as if the four ghosts are actively chasing you. That's not exactly true. Iwatani intentionally avoided programming them with that purpose, since that would have resulted in Pac-Man zipping around the screen with four ghosts always right behind him.

Instead, it's only Blinky, the red ghost, who doggedly pursues you throughout the game. Pinky, the pink ghost (naturally), simply wants to position itself at a point that's 32 pixels in front of Pac-Man's mouth. The blue ghost, Inky, is seeking to position itself at a similar fixed spot. And Clyde, the orange ghost, moves completely at random.

Because the player constantly has Pac-Man on the go, however, the ghosts are always changing direction and trying to achieve their goal, which adds to the challenge of the game.

Related: Download Pac-Man from Yahoo! Games

What, exactly, does Pac-Man mean?

You may have heard the story about how a pizza with a missing slice inspired Pac-Man's design. But it turns out the game was designed entirely around food.

"I thought about something that may attract girls," says Iwatani. "Maybe boy stories or something to do with fashion. However, girls love to eat desserts. My wife often does! So the verb ‘eat' gave me a hint to create this game."

That theme continued with the game's name. In Japanese, "puck puck" is akin to the U.S. saying "munch munch". So the original name - Puck-Man - translated as "Munch man". (A savvy Midway Games official changed it to Pac-Man when the game hit the U.S. to discourage vandals from shaving off part of the "P," thereby creating an obscene word.)

The missing puzzle piece

Pac-Man was designed to be as simple as possible, to attract a wide audience. The limits of technology in 1980 made this a little easier to achieve. Iwatani says he's happy about this now, but at the time, there was one more thing he wanted to add to the game.

"I wanted to have a shelter and it would move up and down," he says. "When the ghost comes, the ghost would be pinched by the shelter which would disfigure the ghost."

The ghosts were almost just one color

It's kind of hard to picture Pac-Man without the brightly colored ghosts today, but when the game was being developed, Iwatani says he was pressured hard to change that.

The president of Namco ordered him to make the ghosts a single color - red, to be precise - since she believed players would be confused that some ghosts, perhaps, were Pac-Man's ally.

Iwatani refused the order and on questionnaires to the game's testers, asked if they would prefer a single color ghost or four. Not a single person wanted the single-color option. That ultimately convinced the president she was wrong.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 am

Pre Purchased Portal 2 today, you mothers.

I'll be ready the moment it gets released to the interwebs!!!!

papalazeru

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:53 am

I love Japanese craziness. This game called CATHERINE looks pretty kooky.

It looks like a mix of RPG and puzzle gaming. I get an old-school LEISURE SUIT LARRY feel and I always liked those types of character-driven games with more funny adult-oriented situations.

Some of the gameplay during the dream parts gives me a bit of a Q*BERT vibe. Like a nice simple old Nintendo type of gameplay that is repetative but doesn't old so fast.

I'll wait for the reviews, but this looks like it could be a funny cute game. If they don't bother redoing the whole audio track in English I might be tempted to say fuck it. The last Japanese game I got was called TALES OF VESPERIA and aside from being kind of a shitty game, they only recorded some of the dialogue in English and then just typed the rest in stupid speech bubbles and it made the already boring game even less engaging.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:21 am

That was weird.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Re: BURNOUT

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:14 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 16, 2011 3:53 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed May 25, 2011 4:29 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed May 25, 2011 4:47 pm

so sorry wrote:Modern Warfare 3 teaser

Spooge!

As a "teaser" I was seriously disappointed. The teaser for MW2 was a teaser, and a damn good one. This was a full trailer.
But yeah.... major spooge.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed May 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:Modern Warfare 3 teaser

Spooge!

As a "teaser" I was seriously disappointed. The teaser for MW2 was a teaser, and a damn good one. This was a full trailer.
But yeah.... major spooge.

I like what Treyarch did with Black Ops, but I so preferred Infinity Ward's MW2. Good to see them pick up where they left off (in awesomeness). These games don't take too long to get thru in campaign mode, but its still a blast, and I've really come to love the absurdity of the multiplayer online gaming.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed May 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Although it sucks to see a developer lose the franchise the built, IW were big time trolls who completely refused to listen to their user-base.

Have you played MW2 online recently? or the original MW? Those games are broken beyond all repair and with the main IW team leaving and getting stuck in a fight with Activision, they will never get fixed. Treyarch have let W@W go the same way, but with black Ops, they seem to be listening to the users with regards to playlists, balancing and things like that. It's a shame, W@W was crazy. The singleplayer had an art style that was unbelievably fitting for the time the game took place & the multiplayer was the most ridiculous a CoD game has ever been.

At this point, the MW3 trailer does nothing for me. I want to hear about things like a cover system or maybe communication with your team during the mission. MW had a great singleplayer campaign with a good mix of mission types to stop things getting stale, but MW2 just repeated the formula.

MW2's Spec-Ops mode was great though. The mission in the original where you are sneaking around Pripyat was one of my favourites & Spec-ops had quite a few like that. It'd be great to hear that they're trying something similar and working towards a more Gears of War type campaign that your friends can join you in. It works so well in stealth missions because it becomes all about communication and teamwork and you become those characters for five or ten mins, rather than just sitting listening to what the npc is telling you to do all the time and wondering why he doesn't shoot x for you.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby so sorry on Thu May 26, 2011 9:03 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:Have you played MW2 online recently? or the original MW? Those games are broken beyond all repair and with the main IW team leaving and getting stuck in a fight with Activision, they will never get fixed.

I've actually been meaning to go back and see how populated the MW2 multiplayer games are. Like if I signed in and fought a Free for All match with 2 other dudes or something...

I hear what your saying KoN, but I consider myself a casual gamer at best (I play an average of 4-5 hours a week, always after hours when the kiddies are asleep!) so things like better team communication etc doesn't appeal to me. I can pretty much accept and enjoy the same old formula, but with a new(er) story and new maps for multiplayer and upgraded graphics.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 am

Better team communication wouldn't slow the pace of the game though.
All i'm talking about is going through the mission without Soap or Price holding your hand.
Instead of being forced to go to the left, you can choose to go to the right & your squad goes the other way.
All it does is involve you more in the story & give the campaign a bit of replay value.
Casual or not, more involvement with the story would only strengthen your experience with the game.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby so sorry on Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:Better team communication wouldn't slow the pace of the game though.
All i'm talking about is going through the mission without Soap or Price holding your hand.
Instead of being forced to go to the left, you can choose to go to the right & your squad goes the other way.
All it does is involve you more in the story & give the campaign a bit of replay value.
Casual or not, more involvement with the story would only strengthen your experience with the game.

OK that makes more sense.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby papalazeru on Thu May 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Wud? Games?

Wuzzat? I've gotten into Minecraft and now I'm just hemorrhaging time.

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu May 26, 2011 5:32 pm

papalazeru wrote:Wud? Games?

Wuzzat? I've gotten into Minecraft and now I'm just hemorrhaging time.

I told you.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:36 am

Looks like EA are in hot water with the fans over Battlefield 3.

They attempted to lock everyone into pre-orders by early unlocks. Fans are reeeeeeeally not happy about because it could unbalance the entire thing.

Read here

And here's the boycott

papalazeru

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:55 pm

E3 2011: ATARI Makes Everything Old New Again
Seth Robison wrote:Centipede: Infestation
Another classic Atari intellectual property gets the current-gen facelift which re-imagines the descending bugs arcade shooter into a two-stick style action title. Coming in the fall of this year for the Wii and the Nintendo 3DS, Centipede: Infestation gives players the task of saving one of the few gardens left on a devastated Earth from legions of mutated bugs. To aid in your mission, you have your standard blaster plus power-ups including a machine gun, a flamethrower, a ‘force gun’ that will push back foes as it damages them and a toxic goo squirter. Each of these last only a short while, but if you wait to use them until you collect multiple copies, their effectiveness will be increased. Among the enemies are a variety of standard creepy-crawlies, power-up dropping spiders, larger beetle-like creatures that will spawn a friendly auto-turret when defected and finally the titular centipede, which will charge though the play area with great speed and force. On the Wii, effective use of the Wiimote to target enemies while you run around with the nunchuck’s analog stick is an absolute requirement. The single player and co-op game will feature seven different environments, each ending in a boss battle. The 3DS will also offer ad-hoc wifi co-op play.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:31 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:10 am

Next Gen Video Games Let Players Control The Story
Barbara Ortutay wrote:LOS ANGELES July 4, 2011, 01:46 pm ET

Menacing alien machines descend on Earth, and amid all-out war, a soldier searches a building to find a frightened boy hiding in a vent.

"It's OK," says the soldier.

"Everyone's dying," the boy replies.

The soldier must choose: Help the boy or tell him to flee.

Though it's full of dramatic tension and realistic animation, this isn't a scene from the next Hollywood blockbuster. It's actually from upcoming video game "Mass Effect 3."

Game makers are crafting more sophisticated story lines and creating characters that evolve based on their experiences within a game. It's an attempt to interest new customers and reverse a decline in video game sales as the maturing business fights for people's attention in the face of new devices such as the iPad.

A new crop of games calls for players to make choices that go beyond selecting a weapon. Among other things, players are asked to make moral decisions that force their characters — and the game's narrative — to evolve in different ways. Upcoming games such as "Bioshock Infinite" and "Star Wars: The Old Republic" tap into this vein.

These storytelling games couldn't come at a better time. U.S. sales of gaming consoles and video games hit a peak in 2008, at $21.4 billion, according to market research firm NPD Group. Since then, however, annual sales fell 13 percent to $18.6 billion in 2010. So far in 2011, sales are flat compared with last year.

With the recent Supreme Court decision protecting violent games as free speech, it's more appropriate than ever for games to have more of a message.

Part of the goal of involved storytelling is to keep players occupied for longer, playing out stories through to the end. Video game makers are trying to stop players from getting bored and quickly offloading games onto used game shops, which can sap sales.

The new games merge first-person shoot-em-ups with movie plotlines to develop what some in the industry are calling a new art form.

In the past, games mostly sandwiched so-called theatrical "cut scenes" between bouts of trigger-finger action. In "Grand Theft Auto IV," for instance, players are given missions on a roughly linear progression as other hoodlums call by cellphone and recruit them to participate in crimes that will elevate the player in rank. Players can follow along or ignore the story lines in favor of other pursuits, such as discovering hidden details like the giant, chained heart inside the Statue of Liberty lookalike.

Gradually, non-action scenes are becoming more central to games and the story is the focus. "Grand Theft" was a start in that direction, with two different endings depending on player choices. The new "Star Wars" game will have about 20 different endings and a billion ways to get there.

"Photographs tell stories. Movies tell stories. Songs tell stories. Games tell stories," said Ken Levine, creative director for Irrational Games.

Levine's studio is poised to release "BioShock Infinite" next year. The shooting game confronts main character Booker with moral decisions — like saving a man from execution or putting down a horse — all the while roaming around an immersive floating world that resembles early 20th century America.

"My mom's not going to connect to the story of `Mega Man 2,'" Levine said, referring to the pixelated Capcom game from the late 1980s. "But hopefully she can connect to a story like this."

These storytelling games represent yet another way the video game business is reaching out to people who have not traditionally considered themselves "gamers." Mobile games including "Angry Birds" and addicting social-network games such as "FarmVille" have gotten more women to play. Motion controllers from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have turned video gaming into a physical workout that appeals to young and old.

Storytelling games could appeal to those attracted to character development more than killing.

Lindsay Grace, professor of interactive media studies at Miami University, said the video game industry is trying to accomplish what Hollywood has turned into a science: entering new markets by offering a little something for everyone — a little romance, a little action, a little this and that.

"Games have started to understand this in the last four to five years, but they are later to understand that than film," he said. "Before, it was a shooting game, and that's what you do."

Grace, who's been studying video games for seven years, believes the answer is not in more big-budget shoot-em-ups, but in independent video games pushing the boundaries of entertainment.

"From indie games to more mainstream offerings, in the next decade or so we are going to be seeing a greater diversity in subject matter," said Scott Steinberg, the chief executive of video game consulting company TechSavvy Global. "The selection of games will more closely resemble your selection of movies."

Market tracker NPD Group doesn't track or categorize "storytelling" games specifically. But many of the games that have had commercial success dive deep into narrative territory. "Grand Theft Auto IV" has sold 20 million units since its record-breaking April 2008 launch. "L.A. Noire" was the top-selling game in the United States in May, with an estimated 899,000 units, despite an industry downturn.

A-list actors, writers and directors are increasingly participating in the industry, lending their voices, faces and ideas to the medium.

Guillermo Del Toro, the Oscar-nominated director behind such hits as "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Hellboy," recently cut off work on the unfinished "The Hobbit" movies in part to free himself to work on video games. One of his first new projects is with game maker THQ on a future release called "Insane." Guillermo envisions the making of the game to take up eight to nine years of his creative life.

"We are in the infancy of people recognizing video games as art," Del Toro said in a recent interview.

He believes game releases will become major cultural events someday, much like big-budget movies. "In order to be a storyteller in the 21st century, we urgently need to learn to tell stories through video games," he said.

Aaron Staton, an actor from the Emmy-winning television series "Mad Men," said he signed on to play detective Cole Phelps in the epic crime game "L.A. Noire," to be part of the cutting-edge method of storytelling that the game explores.

Staton studied 2,200 pages of script in order to act out all the story lines that evolve from player choices. A key game mechanic is determining how the detective will react to suspects in the interrogation room. Deciding to believe or doubt them moves the story into what he describes as "its own separate reality."

Many recent games have featured actors' voices, but in "L.A. Noire," their facial expressions and voices become "an important aspect of the story of the game and the game play itself," Staton said. "So I thought that it would be exciting."

Actions in these games are meant to have consequences that go beyond passing levels or gaining points. They unlock new, unexplored chapters, like a book that has dozens of endings, and provide lessons for the characters along the way.

A love triangle is expected to develop in "Mass Effect 3," but only if characters created romances in the earlier two versions.

In "Star Wars: The Old Republic," gamers can choose to play do-good Jedi Knights, evil Sith lords or six other classes of characters. Sparing an enemy's life, for instance, will determine which direction the game heads and whether companions cooperate or betray the player later on.

Daniel Erickson, the lead writer of the "Star Wars" game, said the amount of storytelling content was unprecedented. The studio behind it, BioWare, created more than 10,000 characters to talk to and used voices from more than 1,000 actors.

The alternate paths amount to more than 60 "Star Wars" novels worth of content in a script that, if read completely, would last longer than the entire 86-episode run of the HBO television show "The Sopranos," which would take three days without sleep.

"BioWare is a lot closer in structure to an ongoing TV series studio when it comes to the writing department than it is to a classic game design studio," Erickson said. "It is story that drives everything."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:50 am

The shit is about to hit the proverbial fan..

DICE says they are not going to release modding tools for Battlefield 3 because it's too difficult for modders

Yeah, and EA and DICE are going to release expensive map packs because they can make better levels.

Do you smell that?

Oh and look, this is what happens when you let the community mod for games..

Pretty sweet huh?

papalazeru

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:19 am

papalazeru wrote:

Pretty sweet huh?

Yes sir, that is in fact pretty sweet.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:01 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: BURNOUT

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:54 pm

From IGN:
Burnout Crash Isn't What You Expect
Cars crash and points add up, but a new perspective changes things.

TheButcher wrote:From IGN:
New Burnout Game in Development
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:49 pm

This is totally random, but I just read an article on Cracked.com about video game adaptations that miss the spirit of the film. Platoon the kill-rampage? Fight Club featuring unlockable Fred Durst and Abraham Lincoln? Doctor Who blasts everyone in his path with a laser cannon? Tony Montana avoids death and runs madder than usual, in Scarface? Maybe it's not so bad, going in the other direction from game -- of any sort -- to film. They can't possibly be any worse, right? I ask as someone who never saw Doom.

Snakes and Ladders, anyone?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:25 am

Iranian Revolution Game

Sounds like a blast... :roll:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Guillermo Del Toro's 'inSANE' 2013

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:00 am

From MTV Rough Cut: Guillermo Del Toro
There Will Be 'Obscenely Fun' Creatures In 'inSANE'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:28 pm

If we had a virtual smoking popgun, this post would be in it.

Read this tale of calamity from a game awards ceremony in Lahndahn, and it made me laugh my head off. Link

Whats funny about it is that I know someone who works for them, and I can practically picture him doing most of the debauched behaviour. Something of an estranged friend, and I dont even know if he went, but the image gives me bellly laughs. Considering mr Z has been in my home when ive tried to sleep on a work night, and I have had to go into the living room to beg for quiet. (ye gods, thats going on 7 yrs ago now, how time flies!) So anyhoo, if it was him, its hilarious to me, to you, it may be mildly amusing, or offensive.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:09 am

I think the news has been out there for a while but I've only recently heard of this..... Apparently there's a Child's Play game in the works and supposedly coming out next year.

Anyone else heard of this?

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:55 pm

SilentBobX wrote:I think the news has been out there for a while but I've only recently heard of this..... Apparently there's a Child's Play game in the works and supposedly coming out next year.

Anyone else heard of this?

Mahalo

Yep. I think the current name for it is Chucky:

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/116/1169259p1.html
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Games