Gaming News and Stuff!!! (Pick a format, any format...)

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:41 am

godzillasushi wrote:The best part about the internet is that there will always be a dedicated gaming site to turn to.

Yup - that would be Destructoid!

To use their own vernacular, they are "full of win"

ETA: I'm quite fond of 1up, too
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:51 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Sushi what site do you read now?

Like TITG mentioned, 1up. Also Team Xbox. IGN is still a good source for everything entertainment. And this 360 achievement site I found that keeps up to date on a lot of stuff. I only have a bookmark at home for that one.

Team Xbox can be a good source for the 360 which is mainly what I follow.

wiki wrote:Media conglomerate IGN purchased TeamXbox in 2003, who in turn was purchased by News Corp. in 2005.

I'm so lame. I didn't know that. They're still different! :x
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:31 pm

I like gametrailers.com now. They have a lot of good stuff on the site. Plus their reviews are pretty spot on. The Assassin's Creed review was great, because they pointed out every flaw in the game, but also every great part about it. After playing the game, I can completely agree with their take on it.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:33 pm

Fawst wrote:I like gametrailers.com now. They have a lot of good stuff on the site. Plus their reviews are pretty spot on. The Assassin's Creed review was great, because they pointed out every flaw in the game, but also every great part about it. After playing the game, I can completely agree with their take on it.

you found that the enemies attacked one at a time?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:51 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fawst wrote:I like gametrailers.com now. They have a lot of good stuff on the site. Plus their reviews are pretty spot on. The Assassin's Creed review was great, because they pointed out every flaw in the game, but also every great part about it. After playing the game, I can completely agree with their take on it.

Go figure, that's the one part of the review they got wrong. I have been in plenty of situations where two or three guards all chained their attacks against me, or hit me at the same time.

No, they were right that the game is repetitive :) Fun, but repetitive.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:27 pm

Fawst wrote:No, they were right that the game is repetitive :) Fun, but repetitive.

The Halo-itus...
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:54 pm

Fawst wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Go figure, that's the one part of the review they got wrong. I have been in plenty of situations where two or three guards all chained their attacks against me, or hit me at the same time.

No, they were right that the game is repetitive :) Fun, but repetitive.

Yeah. Right now I am at assassination where I am getting arrows shot at me left and right and the target and cronies in the cemetary keep kicking my ass and not one at a time. That is the problem with it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:04 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
Fawst wrote:No, they were right that the game is repetitive :) Fun, but repetitive.

The Halo-itus...

Thanks for reminding me, I still haven't traded Halo 3 in...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 pm

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:50 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:AP's Year End List

As the only 360 game that I've played from beginning to end (in co-op on my buddy's 360) I can't disagree with this, unfortunately. I've played the mutiplayer a little and it's a blast, but still...

MOST OVERRATED GAME: "Halo 3." Yes, I went there. And I'm not saying "Halo 3" is bad. It's a decent game, with some good fighting and excellent online modes, no doubt. But don't believe Microsoft Corp.'s marketing and PR hype machine. Halo 3 changes nothing about video games. "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" has a more interesting multiplayer component. And "Halo 3's" single-player story is baffling and leaves this supposedly epic saga feeling somewhat incomplete.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:52 pm

I havent played COD4 at all so I can't really comment on it. All my friends say it's incredible though.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I havent played COD4 at all so I can't really comment on it. All my friends say it's incredible though.

I can't comment on that part of it either, yet, I was referring to the Halo 3 part. But I am getting COD4 for my brother for xmas this year, so I'll be playing it soon at his house!

See what I did there? Strategery!!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Call of Duty 4 might be the best multiplayer shooter I have ever played. It's so well balanced, there's so much variety, very little lag, 60 FPS. Precise, clean, it's a shooter perfected.

I like Halo 3 a lot, but it's not in the same league.

Single player is better then Rainbow Six Vegas or any of that. It has a very intense story.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dyno on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:19 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Call of Duty 4 might be the best multiplayer shooter I have ever played. It's so well balanced, there's so much variety, very little lag, 60 FPS. Precise, clean, it's a shooter perfected.

The character build aspect; rolling out with different weapons and perks, is a masterstroke. Its the perfect expression of personalization in a multiplayer shooter. The Deathcam is also an amazing feature. Watching a replay of you getting killed each and every time you die is a terrific learning tool. Time and again the Deathcam points our your errors; that your ass was hanging out in the middle of the street or that your head was on display through a window. It's made me a much better player.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fawst on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:23 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Call of Duty 4 might be the best multiplayer shooter I have ever played ... I like Halo 3 a lot, but it's not in the same league.

I guarantee that I told you so at one point or another :)

Even the buggy beta version of COD4:MP was better.

I REALLY need to get some money together to make trading Halo 3 in worthwhile... Hell, I could be a real demon and use the money I get back towards a PS3!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 pm

Fawst wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Call of Duty 4 might be the best multiplayer shooter I have ever played ... I like Halo 3 a lot, but it's not in the same league.

I REALLY need to get some money together to make trading Halo 3 in worthwhile... Hell, I could be a real demon and use the money I get back towards a PS3!

I still like Halo 3 of course. I'm really good at both so it doesn't really matter. I am THE best at everything. :twisted:

Dyno wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Call of Duty 4 might be the best multiplayer shooter I have ever played. It's so well balanced, there's so much variety, very little lag, 60 FPS. Precise, clean, it's a shooter perfected.

The character build aspect; rolling out with different weapons and perks, is a masterstroke. Its the perfect expression of personalization in a multiplayer shooter. The Deathcam is also an amazing feature. Watching a replay of you getting killed each and every time you die is a terrific learning tool. Time and again the Deathcam points our your errors; that your ass was hanging out in the middle of the street or that your head was on display through a window. It's made me a much better player.

Yea really. A lot of people wondered how a process could be made to bring shooters into a new kind of area. The balance of the game's multiplayer is stunning. It makes everyone use a different setting and gives players unique settings. And a sniper is at the same advantage as a player with an assult rifle by the time you reach level 50-ish. Balance....it is wonderful.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:59 pm

Fawst wrote:

I just traded my entire Halo collection + FEAR and Dead Rising for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and renewed my Maxim subscription over at Game-Crazy.

I kept Gears and Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer (seeing as how my 40gig PS3 don't play no PS2 stuff....I still love that game)
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Dyno on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:02 pm

A very interesting article on a Chinese MMORPG called ZT Online.

http://www.danwei.org/electronic_games/gambling_your_life_away_in_zt.php

EDIT-Fixed your link --Gaffney

This is a game where the almight dollar, err.. yuan conquers all. You can buy anything you like and the game becomes a money pit. The story of the rise and fall of a heroic on-line character is very interesting.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 pm

This may have been posted before, but it's pretty cool so I'll post it again!

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7624626&publicUserId=5777866
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:32 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:This may have been posted before, but it's pretty cool so I'll post it again!

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7624626&publicUserId=5777866

Yeah Minibosses are sweet.

Check out The Advantage as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:29 am

I was Best Man in my buddy's wedding, and I got COD4 as a gift. I've been checking it out, and he (a marine) was pointing out how accurate much of the game is in its little details.

Oh, and I'll echo what others have said. The multiplayer kicks ass.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:10 pm

wonkabar wrote:
Fawst wrote:

I just traded my entire Halo collection + FEAR and Dead Rising for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and renewed my Maxim subscription over at Game-Crazy.

I kept Gears and Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer (seeing as how my 40gig PS3 don't play no PS2 stuff....I still love that game)

Betcha wish you spent the extra $100 now huh? I was real close to being in the same boat and decided $100 wasn't bad to get upscaled PS2 games and an extra 40gigs of space since I plan to DL quite a bit.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:37 pm

Street Fighter 4 video and video discussion...pretty interesting stuff. Looks ok, I don't know if it's anywhere near ready yet but we'll see.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:10 pm

I like how it is still going to be a 2-D fighter. Even if it is 3-D. I could really enjoy this game.

And they said if this does well other games like capcom vs. marvel and capcom vs. streetfighter would get the same treatment...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby King Psyz on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 pm

HOLY JESUS FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK

Best news ever!

Right here folks, movie nerds and gaming nerds worlds just collided in firey glory

So so so stoked right now.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:17 pm

King Psyz wrote:HOLY JESUS FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK

Best news ever!

Right here folks, movie nerds and gaming nerds worlds just collided in firey glory

I've never played one bit of Soul Caliber..... but now I must!!!!
That looked sweet!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby instant_karma on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:09 am

King Psyz wrote:HOLY JESUS FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK

Best news ever!

My favourite film series meets my favourite game series!!!

And I didn't even have to give God a blowjob! I'm happy..
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 am

that need to be on the back cover of this game!
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:33 am

:shock: Oh dear....

I'll just quote the attached article for my thoughts...

Do you think Lucasarts and Namco Bandai throwing Star Wars characters into the Soul Calibur universe is a good thing? You, uh, might want to watch this trailer. If, however, you're too busy picking up the fragmented remains of your respect for either franchise, you might want to pass. It'll be for the best. Trust us.

:roll:

God this looks like to much of a financially secure with corporate-sponsored opinions for me to even play the demo. I really don't know what to make of this at all. A very strange decision..
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:49 am

MonkeyM666 wrote::shock: Oh dear....

Do you think Lucasarts and Namco Bandai throwing Star Wars characters into the Soul Calibur universe is a good thing? You, uh, might want to watch this trailer. If, however, you're too busy picking up the fragmented remains of your respect for either franchise, you might want to pass. It'll be for the best. Trust us.

God this looks like to much of a financially secure with corporate sponsored opinions for me to even play the demo. I really don't know what to make of this at all. A very strange decision..

I love word filters...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:20 am

Oh my goodness that's just about the coolest thing ever. I remember when the second came out and the Xbox version had Spawn. The Cube had Link. And I thought....this is brilliant! Now Vader?!

After SC3 not only being PS2 exclusive but sucking excusively on the PS2 I have awaited a new one that I could actually play.

The graphics are looking good too. See, the fighter isn't dead. Not yet...
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:59 pm

Godzilla, are you upset that PS3 got the cooler force user on this one?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:38 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

God this looks like to much of a financially secure with corporate sponsored opinions for me to even play the demo. I really don't know what to make of this at all. A very strange decision..

I love word filters...

What the?? I can't even remember what actually wrote there now :shock:

/:lol:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:19 am

Do any of you guys read Surfer Girl Reviews Star Wars? This ironically-titled blog is currently the best source for genuine gaming "scoops" right now IMO.

Amongst other things recently reported, she (if indeed she is a she) says that over the next year or two, we'll see several games which make use of IMAX-style stereoscopic 3D glasses. So far, she's mentioned a new Ridge Racer game and a Ubisoft Avatar game, both of which will ship with 3D glasses. The blog's definitely worth a look, if you like gaming news from off the beaten track...
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:06 am

King Psyz wrote:Godzilla, are you upset that PS3 got the cooler force user on this one?

Wait what? Did I read it wrong? Seperate characters for each console?

:oops:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:20 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

I love word filters...

What the?? I can't even remember what actually wrote there now :shock:

/:lol:

financially secure with corporate-sponsored opinions = financially secure with corporate-sponsored opinions
Last edited by Bob Samonkey on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Dyno on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:20 am

godzillasushi wrote:
King Psyz wrote:Godzilla, are you upset that PS3 got the cooler force user on this one?

Yoda for the 360, Vader for the PS3. Though in this age of downloadable content I wouldn't be surprised to see you're able to buy the other character and maybe even altogether different ones.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:22 am

Dyno wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:

Yoda for the 360, Vader for the PS3. Though in this age of downloadable content I wouldn't be surprised to see you're able to buy the other character and maybe even altogether different ones.

Hey, why isn't Dyno talking in that loveable Italian accent anymore...???
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:24 am

Oh.

Dang...

Well, I didn't know that. That kind of sucks.

It's still a next-gen SC so my joy is only slightly dented.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dyno on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:25 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote:
Dyno wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:

Hey, why isn't Dyno talking in that loveable Italian accent anymore...???

That's Dino, I'm Dyno. I have a Canadian accent that doesn't come out much in print eh.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:27 am

Hey Dyno, I know :wink:
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:28 pm

One Million Wii Fits in Japan
Cue the it prints money gifs.
by Anoop Gantayat

US, January 9, 2008 - Nintendo announced today that it has shipped one million units of Wii Fit to the Japanese market. The landmark came on the 6th, making it a bit over one month after the game's December 1 release.

A few casual surveys of retailers around Tokyo has convinced us that the fitness title and its included Balance Board peripheral have been pretty much sold out since Christmas. It seems that whatever product Nintendo manages to get onto retail shelves, consumers snap up immediately.

Platinum status for a Wii game is nothing new, as Wii Sports has already topped the two million mark in Japan. With Wii Fit, however, Nintendo has managed to sell a million units of a product that retails for 8,800 yen, or 3,000 yen more than most Wii games.

hummmm....

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:56 pm

http://retro.ign.com/

You all should go check out IGN's new retro site. It's awesome. They even have reviews of old games.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:39 pm

IGN GAME OF THE YEAR

So that sets one of the largest review websites in Mario Galaxy's corner, Gamespot also hold the little plumber up high, but what do you think? 2007was a maddeningly good year for games. COD4, Bioshock, Rock Band, Super Mario Galaxy, Orange Box, Gears of War, Supreme Commander it has been a long time since so many good titles across the platforms have been up against each other in such a hefty competition.

Personally Bioshock is a bloody marvel, but my heart lies with COD4. Such good multiplayer, and even though the single player is short it's amazingly varied and detailed. The graphics are top notch, and the sound design (when heard in digital surround sound) is so detailed and intense. I still flinch at the tinkling of grenade.

Have a look at the links for some nicely put together video presentations. Gamespot is far more detailed if that's what you're into.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dyno on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:06 pm

My list would look something like this. I don't pick the Best Game.

Most Memorable Game - Bioshock
Most Realistic Game - Call of Duty 4
Most Flawless Game - The Orange Box
Most Gorgeous Game - Uncharted Drake's Fortune
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Well it's a safer choice for GOTY.

After playing Mario Galaxy I realized that I'm not the target audience for it. If it's GOTY then no complaints over here.

Forza 2 is probably my GOTY just because its the best sim racer ever and has just as big of an influence in racing as Mario does in platforming.

My non-biased pick would have been CoD4. But, it was such a great year for the 360 that it's hard to pick one game.

The Wii had 2 really solid hits. Nintendo has a habit of only releasing 2-3 must have games in a year. And those 2-3 games are always the very best games for that year hehe. Works for me.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dyno on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

I'm putting this here because it's multiplatform.

I LOVED Condemned: Criminal Origins. 360/PC owners who want the bejebus scared out of them while playing the best First Person Melee game out there should pick this up. They're adding a lot to the second, I hope they can maintain the same solid mechanics and atmosphere.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fawst on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:11 pm

The demo creeped me out to no extent, and that wasn't a really long demo. I'll have to pick this up used sometime.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:19 pm

ZONER GAME OF THE YEAR

...was announced weeks ago and was more important than what IGN thinks.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dyno on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:40 pm

Fawst wrote:The demo creeped me out to no extent, and that wasn't a really long demo. I'll have to pick this up used sometime.

I was so freaked out by this game at first that it was preventing me from playing properly. Then something happened, something involving in the slow, rhythmic, bobbing way your character moves...

You're the serial killer. You get to hunt down and bludgeon everyone unlucky enough to be in the same area with you. They can't escape, and so long as you don't forget that you are the hunter and not the prey, they have no chance.

It was something of a paradigm shift and it relaxed me enough to start dominating the game. Sounds weird but it worked for me.

If anything it's a testiment of how immersive the game is.
Dyno
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

PreviousNext

Return to Games