Gaming News and Stuff!!! (Pick a format, any format...)

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Re: Gaming News and Stuff!!! (Pick a format, any format...)

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:24 am

Hermanator X wrote:Glad you guys enjoyed it. Its part 2 by the way. Part one is out there somewhere, but I havent watched it yet.

Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:27 pm

DC Universe

sorry if this has already been posted... this is supercool. Don't think the game could possibly live up to this trailer.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Huge news for fans of Batman: Arkham Asylum - -

Shameless plug I know, but the news is still share-worthy.

And I have never abused the shameless plug ticket in the past. So, there.

lol
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:33 am

Real Yakuza review "Yakuza 3"

Two thumbs up

I like the comment they make about the CIA seeming unbelievable, I guess these guys have yet to see the very much based on fact "The Men Who Stare At Goats".
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:36 pm

magicmonkey wrote:Real Yakuza review "Yakuza 3"

Two thumbs up

Holy shit, that's brilliant.

A taste, if you're not convinced to click on the link:

ENVIRONMENT

M: I've never been to Okinawa, but Kabukicho is dead on.
S: You mean the old Kabukicho. Governor Ishihara's totally ruined the place. It's like a ghost town.
K: It's like going back in time. Koma Theater is there, the pink salons, the Pronto Coffee shops, the Shinjuku Batting center, the love hotels.
S: You got your salaryman in there, the delinquent school girl and her sugar daddy, Chinese people, and even those Nigerian touts. What's with all the fucking gaijin (foreigners) in the area anyway? It used to be just Japanese, Koreans and Chinese.
M: Don't say gaijin. Say Gaikokujin. It's more polite. Jake's a gaijin.
S: Yeah, I forget sometimes. What's with all the fucking gaikokujin in Kabukicho anyway?
K: Internationalization. The world's a smaller place. The Nigerians? They marry Japanese chicks. They get a permanent visa. They stay. The cops can't get rid of them and they're good at steering customers into shady places. The young Japanese punks we hire, they give up, they don't browbeat drunks into bringing business to our establishments. They got no backbone. The Nigerians are aggressive. They can make good touts. By the way, Adelstein, usually when we say gaijin we mean non-Asian foreigners like you and the Nigerians. Not the Chinese or the Koreans.
S: Yeah, Koreans are chosenjin, not gaijin.
M: I like the fact that you power up by eating real food. Shio ramen gives you a lot of power — CC Lemon, not as much. It all makes sense.
S: The breaded pork cutlet bento box is like mega power. More than ramen. That's accurate.
K: If they had shabu (crystal meth) as a power-up item, that would be realistic. It's a yakuza game.
S: They have sake!
M: Kiryu is an executive, right? We all know the guys at the top don't drink or do speed.
S: Yeah, not anymore.
M: Can you smoke in the game? I forget. That should be a power-up.
S: Cigarettes and shabu should be in every yakuza game.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:57 am

Im not really interested in the Yakuza games, but the interview is cool and bonkers. Nice find.

Anyhoo...

King Psyz ??? :wink:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:00 am

Hermanator X wrote:Im not really interested in the Yakuza games, but the interview is cool and bonkers. Nice find.

Anyhoo...

Bwahahaha!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:48 am

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:00 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:Im not really interested in the Yakuza games, but the interview is cool and bonkers. Nice find.

Anyhoo...

Bwahahaha!

WHYIOUGHTTA
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:21 pm

hahaha. Let me make up for my cheeky joke with the bioshock trailer : BIOSHOCK INFINITE

Under the sea? Been there done that, hows about in the clouds????

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Wow!!
I still haven't played Bioshock 2, but this looks extremely interesting!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Fievel wrote:Wow!!
I still haven't played Bioshock 2, but this looks extremely interesting!!

Me either, and to be honest, I didnt make it all the way through the first one. It was just one of those games that got away from me for whatever reason, and I traded it in before I finished it! But they do cut a good trailer.

From the article it seems that this has been in development in secret since the first one came out by the original creator, and the 2nd game was done independantly with a new team. Seems to have taken Kotaku by surprise, and they are normally fairly clued up. Interesting stuff!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Image

FTW
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby travis-dane on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Hermanator X wrote:hahaha. Let me make up for my cheeky joke with the bioshock trailer : BIOSHOCK INFINITE

Under the sea? Been there done that, hows about in the clouds????

2012!!!! I wanna play this right now.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:46 am

Halo Reach footage leaked

Halo Reach ending

Microsoft are taking these down quite quickly so watch it while you can.

Here's the story about Halo Reach leaked onto internets 3 weeks before launch.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 pm

papalazeru wrote:Halo Reach footage leaked

Halo Reach ending

Microsoft are taking these down quite quickly so watch it while you can.

Here's the story about Halo Reach leaked onto internets 3 weeks before launch.

BOO!! Not for you posting it but for the lame ending. Boo.

EDIT: Thanks for the heads-up by the way. Posted a bit about it on my website:

http://www.mylittlexboxblog.com/?p=507
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Peter Molyneux demos Milo, the virtual boy - http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/peter ... l_boy.html

...I still think it's slightly weird.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:21 am

I dunno how old the clip is, as I cant view it here, but I saw a headline on a games site yesterday that Project Milo may have been shelved altogether.

Impressive stuff, but as you say, a bit weird.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Anyone here get to check out Hydrophobia?!?!?

I hear it's strong (I had to research it for a column I write for Twin Galaxies) and that it's graphics engine really blows others out of the water (no pun intended).
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:13 am

From THR:
Universal to Unleash Frankenstein, Other Classic Monsters in Online Game
Paul Bond wrote:Studio teams with SEE Virtual Worlds to create a massively multiplayer game where players become their own version of monster-hunter Van Helsing.

Frankenstein, the Wolf Man and other classic monsters who have appeared in movies from Universal Studios for the past eight decades are getting themselves a virtual playground.

Universal is set to announce this week that it has struck a deal with SEE Virtual Worlds to create a massively multiplayer online game where players become their own version of monster-hunter Van Helsing.

SEE, which stands for Special Entertainment Events, plans on building several virtual worlds -- what it calls "planets" -- based on entertainment properties. Last month, it announced its first, Planet Michael, devoted to deceased pop star Michael Jackson.

Planet Michael and the Universal Monsters project are due late next year.

SEE was formed in 1997 and made a name for itself creating "mobile theme parks" based on such franchises as "Star Trek" and "Pokemon," and SEE Virtual Worlds is a division of that company.

The company partnered with MindArk, which operates the Entropia Universe where Planet Michael and the Universal Monsters will reside.

The Entropia Universe has nearly 1 million registered users in 200 countries who play in virtual worlds that use "real money trading," or RMT, in lieu of subscription fees.

The RMT system allows users to play for free while depositing money to purchase virtual objects. Players also can earn, trade and sell items and withdraw cash from their accounts.

Some of the characters making up the Universal Monsters collection include the Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Phantom of the Opera, Dracula, the Invisible Man, the Mummy and the Creature From the Black Lagoon.

From Variety:
SEE, Universal scare up monster deal - Van Helsing, classic monsters get online world
Marc Graser wrote:A month after locking down Michael Jackson, SEE Virtual Worlds has scared up a deal with Universal to build an online destination around Van Helsing and the studio's classic monsters.

The plan is to launch a massively multiplayer online game late next year in which individuals track down such icons as Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, the Wolf Man and the Creature from the Black Lagoon, as monster hunter Van Helsing.

Deal was brokered with Universal Partnerships & Licensing, which has turned the creatures into a popular line of merchandise under the Universal Monsters brand in order to exploit the series of horror films the studio produced, mostly from 1930 through the 1950s.

Universal said pairing up with SEE would give "fans the first opportunity to interact with their favorite characters in a real-time evolving social game," according Bill Kispert, VP and general manager of digital platforms, Universal Partnerships & Licensing.

The monster mash up is the latest in a universe of so-called planets that SEE wants to launch over the next year as part of its Entropia Universe, based on licenses of TV shows, movies, musicians and other high-profile properties.

In September, SEE said it would create "Planet Michael," revolving around Jackson's songs and videos by the end of next year (Daily Variety, Sept. 21), with permission granted by the Michael Jackson Estate.

"Partnering with Universal allows us to revive the horror genre for the 21st century by introducing timeless film franchise characters into an interactive platform," said Martin Biallas, CEO of SEE Virtual Worlds.

The Entropia Universe, launched in 2003, already has more than 950,000 registered accounts from over 200 countries, and generates revenue from the sale of virtual goods and memberships.

Hollywood has already dabbled with licensing their wares to virtual world operators like Second Life and Habbo, that enable members to buy clothing or products based on movies, TV shows or specific characters.

The rights holders earn revenue from each transaction -- a business that's expected to balloon to $1.6 billion in the U.S. this year, largely because of games like FarmVille on Facebook, according to Inside Network.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Super Mario 25th Anniversary

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:52 pm

From IGN:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1132381p1.html
Craig Harris wrote:You may recall late last week that Nintendo of America made the announcement that on December 12, it will release the celebratory Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition for Wii. Priced at $29.99, the package is meant as a 25th anniversary "hooray!" for the Super Mario series, showing off some of Mario's super early years remade on the Super NES and playable on the Nintendo Wii console.

Fresh out of the designers' Illustrator program is the North American package artwork for Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition.

This package houses all the goodies inside. And what are the goodies, you ask. How about the actual game?

There's also a soundtrack disc that features many memorable tunes from the Super Mario series, from the original NES game to Super Mario Galaxy 2...and all the Super Marios in between.

There's also a soundtrack disc that features many memorable tunes from the Super Mario series, from the original NES game to Super Mario Galaxy 2...and all the Super Marios in between.

Love that stylish photo. It's like the photographer went down into my basement in 1985.

And finally, a book featuring all sorts of artistic goodies.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Ninja Gaiden III

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:50 pm

From IGN:
Team Ninja Spills A Few Details on Ninja Gaiden 3
Internal playable prototype already completed. Sequel coming after Dead or Alive Dimensions
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:18 pm

This commercial is awesome.

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Fievel wrote:This commercial is awesome.

Agreed. I was thinking about this game recently (as I was playing the current CoD online game for the 1 billionth time). At this point I wonder if anyone is as interested in the actual game storyline, or if everyone will just make a B line to the online community component of BlackOps.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:07 pm

I pickep up Black Ops at lunch and it's been sitting on my desk since then beckoning me to take a half day off to play it...

I don't know about anyone else, but I will be playing the campaign for at least a few days before venturing into the world of online play...Bagel knows I need the practice...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:36 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:I pickep up Black Ops at lunch and it's been sitting on my desk since then beckoning me to take a half day off to play it...

I don't know about anyone else, but I will be playing the campaign for at least a few days before venturing into the world of online play...Bagel knows I need the practice...

AS I've said before, I haven't stopped playing CoD: Modern Warfare 2 since I bought it in April. Took me about a week to complete the campaign and its been all online play since. When I buy Black Ops (Friday for me) I'm not sure what I'll do first. One of the hardest parts of the online for me was that I was a year behind everyone else... I got my ass handed to me for a long time before I got the hang of it. I kinda want to do the online thing first so I'll have the same learning curve as the rest of the gang.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby travis-dane on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:I pickep up Black Ops at lunch and it's been sitting on my desk since then beckoning me to take a half day off to play it...

a friend of mine bought it, we played through the "story" mode in 5 hours. On the highest dificulty setting. This game is a joke.
I dont play online.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:47 pm

This one has been on and off my radar for a while now, but this first official look shows some promise.

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: PAC-MAN on STEROIDS!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 am

From IGN:
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX Review
Scott Pilgrim VS. Pac-Man
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:44 am

Hermanator X wrote:This one has been on and off my radar for a while now, but this first official look shows some promise.

Wow! The facial movements are just....Wow!

That's better than the new Tron.

papalazeru

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:34 am

As the real-life shit storm with North Korea progresses...... I wonder what the developers of Homefront are thinking.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the developers consulted an unnamed (ex?)Government Official who laid out some realistic scenarios where North Korea actually could overpower the United States. I'm not getting this vibe right now, but having China backing them certainly couldn't hurt that notion.

Ahhhhh...here it is:

IGN AU: It's set some 20-odd years from now though, right?

Chris Cross: Sure, but Hitler managed to take over most of Europe in ten years. It just about having the right person at the wrong time and it can all go to hell. It's an extremely plausible context. We have an analyst – and we can't mention his name or who he used to work for – actually outline it for us. Like I said, we're about three or four major events away from something like this happening. If this was done in the 1940s, we'd be talking about Germany and this would be a World War II game. It'd be the same situation.

North Korea has the fourth largest standing army in the world and the largest Special Forces unit in the world. And that's assuming they don't take over South Korea; start a new Pan-Asian alliance.

Crazy.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:25 am

They've got us beat on marching in unison.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:07 am

Wolfpack wrote:They've got us beat on marching in unison.

And marching without bending their legs no less.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:44 am

A bunch of links can be found HERE for all of the new exclusive trailers from the Spike video game awards.

Including:

Elder Scrolls 5
Mass Effect 3
Portal 2
Uncharted 3
New ip from Del Toro
and many more.

Now thats posted, I can get to actually watching em myself!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:52 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 pm

If you have a PC...and you like free games...then check out this game subtly titled, 'Privates'

Here's the trailer..

You can download it free from here.

http://www.e4.com/game/privates.html

Edit: I've just played through this - It's hysterical, especially AIDS.

papalazeru

Re: Guillermo Del Toro's 'inSANE' 2013

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:52 pm

From Shock Till You Drop:
Guillermo Del Toro's Video Game Preview to Make Splash Next Month

Trailer for Guillermo Del Toro's 'Insane'

From Grim Reviews:
Del Toro Talks Secret Lovecraftian Game
It seems Guillermo del Toro's push to create a cinematic version of H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" is not the only project he has in mind inspired by the writer. Comments harvested by GiantBomb.com have confirmed that the director is working in concert with THQ to release a Lovecraftian video game (or possibly multiple games) sometime around 2013. Details about the game are extremely limited, with neither del Toro nor THQ elaborating on the game. This may mean it's in a very early stage of development, or being kept tightly concealed by THQ and del Toro.

-Grim Blogger

From Giant Bomb:
Guillermo del Toro Describes Series As 'Lovecraftian,' THQ To Publish
Guillermo del Toro is my kind of dude. I feel this way not only because he directed a film that had a monster with eyeball hands in it, but because he likes to get way ahead of marketing. For example, in his latest MTV interview, the director has confirmed that he's working with THQ, and his first game in a series of titles with the publisher will see a release around 2013. Subsequent games, he said, will be on three-year development cycles.

These comments are sort of a big deal, as these are all previously unknown details about a project del Toro leaked himself earlier this summer. Rumors have, however, connected del Toro with THQ since, but it's nice to have the confirmation from the man himself.

Sadly, the director stopped short of going into specifics about his game, but he did drop this little nugget in the interview. "It's horror... but it's a very different type of horror game," he said. "It's not survival horror. It's truly a strange, geeky mix. It's a Lovecraftian thing. Let's leave it at that."

THQ has commented on its connection with del Toro, but it's obvious the publisher isn't as ready to talk about the relationship as he is.
At THQ, we are focused on the highest level of creative development by putting artists first. Guillermo del Toro is one of many creative artists that we respect and would be interested in working with. However, at this time, we do not have any formal announcement to make.

We're still wondering what studio under the publisher's banner del Toro is working with. A recent job listing from Volition still has us stroking our chins since it implies the studio is "collaborating" with a certain special someone, and not a studio, on a new RPG. Could this be the place handling the del Toro game? I assume we'll learn if this is true or not the next time del Toro swings by MTV.

Pan's Labyrinth Director Set To Announce A Games Deal
Remember how much of a creep show Pan's Labyrinth was? Perhaps the film's director Guillermo del Toro's forthcoming games will be able to give us the same troubling feelings in the pits of our stomachs. Or maybe they'll have us ponder the raw power of a child's imagination. Regardless of what they'll do for us, games are apparently coming.

Speaking with MTV, del Toro revealed that he's involved on a games project with a big studio. "One of the things we're announcing in the next few weeks is a big deal with a big company," he said, adding that the games he'll do will be "technically and narratively very interesting." Specifics or details aside from that weren't unveiled--even the publisher, for now, will remain a mystery.

del Toro isn't exactly a household name yet, unlike Steven Spielburg who has already shown his videogame creation muscle with the Wii-exclusive Boom Blox. But del Toro has directed some big-time stuff. Pan's Labyrinth is definitely one of his most visually captivating movies, but Blade 2 and Hellboy weren't so bad in that department, either.

What can del Toro bring to the table? If he has much to do with these possible games--and it's hard to tell from his vague comments if he's actually embedded in his own development studio--I think we should expect something that looks very different from the norm. Something along the lines of Zeno Clash. At least, that's what my gut is telling me after scrounging the 'net for images connected to the filmmaker.

From MTV:
Guillermo del Toro Has Multiple Games In The Works With A 'Big Company'

Guillermo del Toro Confirms, Details THQ Game Series
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:22 am

From Variety:
Del Toro goes 'inSANE' for game - Helmer branches out with new horror adventure vidgame
Marc Graser wrote:Easily one of the busiest filmmakers in Hollywood, with an ever-growing slate of movies in development, Guillermo del Toro has added another project to his resume: a videogame.

Del Toro and videogame publisher THQ are producing “Insane,” a horror adventure that will bow in 2013.

The property, which is being planned as a trilogy, marks del Toro’s first foray into the videogames biz, a sector of entertainment the filmmaker has long wanted to develop for considering he’s an avid gamer.

“With this new series of videogames, I want to take players to a place they have never seen before, where every single action makes them question their own senses of morality and reality,” del Toro said.

Del Toro will serve as external creative director for the “Insane” games, working closely with Danny Bilson, THQ’s executive VP of core games; Paul DeMeo, THQ’s director of fiction development; and Volition, the inhouse studio that will develop the trilogy for THQ.

Volition’s credits include the “Red Faction” and “Saints Row” franchises.

The gamemakers are keeping a tight lid on the overall concept beyond revealing a title and logo as a teaser during Spike’s Video Game Awards on Saturday, but del Toro and THQ envision the property as more than just a game, with the duo also collaborating on other forms of entertainment tied to “Insane,” such as books, animated films, toys and other licensed merchandise.

Naturally, “Insane” could wind up being adapted into a full-length feature, as well. THQ owns the intellectual property rights to the “Insane” games, while del Toro will maintain the film rights.“We’re really focusing on the game first,” Bilson told Daily Variety. “We’re not worrying about if it’s a good movie or book. We’re focused on making a fantastic videogame. Later on we’ll discuss it.” Bilson added that while THQ is actively looking at film versions of its other games, “It’s funny that the one we’re making with a great filmmaker is the one we don’t talk about.”

With Bilson having penned such films and TV shows as “The Rocketeer,” “The Flash” and “The Sentinel” before going on to help create multiple games based on the James Bond franchise, THQ has been keen on attracting more established filmmakers to develop games for the publisher.

“We are excited to bring (del Toro’s) talents to our medium,” Bilson said. “We are confident his unique point of view will create visually stunning adventures, filled with rich and rewarding game play.”Del Toro is fitting development of the games in between directing duties on a number of films, including a 3D adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s “At the Mountains of Madness,” for Universal, with James Cameron producing.

He also has his own versions of “Frankenstein,” “Jekyll and Hyde” and “Slaughterhouse Five” in the works, as well as Disney’s “Haunted Mansion,” the animated “Trollhunters” and the return of the Incredible Hulk to TV for Marvel.

That’s in addition to three-book series “The Strain,” which del Toro is writing with Chuck Hogan.

“Insane” announcement also follows this week’s formation of Mirada, a Marina del Rey-based creative studio founded by del Toro, helmer Mathew Cullen, cinematographer Guillermo Navarro and executive producer Javier Jimenez.“We have never felt like we have any access problems, any focus problems, or any lack of passion for what we’re doing (from Del Toro),” Bilson said. “We’re trying to create what we think genre fans would enjoy the most in a next generation cinematic videogame experience.”
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:35 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Hey, I heard that Del Toro was crafting some sort of lovecraftian game. Anyone heard anything about this? :wink:

Heres part 3 of MODERN WAR GEAR SOLID. I seem to remember quite a few peeps on here enjoyed the last one.

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Logan5 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:51 pm

(been a couple of years since I logged on here...)

Just some sad news from Square-Enix.

(Reuters) - Japanese video game maker Square Enix on Thursday slashed its full-year net profit forecast by more than 90 percent to far below the market consensus and said it will postpone the launch of two key game titles.

Square Enix said in a statement it is delaying the rollout of the latest installment in its "Deus Ex" game series until the financial year starting in April. It had initially planned the launch for the January-March quarter.

The company is also postponing the launch of "Final Fantasy 14" for Sony's PlayStation3 game console for an unknown period. The game was originally slated to hit store shelves in March in Japan.

Square Enix cited slow sales and industry criticism of some of its major game titles launched earlier this year, and said it wanted to concentrate on achieving high quality for its upcoming titles.

"We came to realize that our management priority is to improve the development of our digital-entertainment products," the company said in the statement.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Logan5 wrote:(been a couple of years since I logged on here...)

That was the first thing I saw when your name popped up as the last poster here in the game thread.
Kick of your shoes and hang out for a bit. We didn't clean out your locker so all your stuff's still here.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:49 am

Hermanator X wrote:This one has been on and off my radar for a while now, but this first official look shows some promise.

There's a video making its way around the net that details how they did the facial animation for this game. Holy shit, it's impressive. This has gone from barely being on my radar to being a must buy. The only thing that would prevent a buy from me at this point would be terrible marks in the reviews concerning gameplay.

Here's the kickass video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQOhNidEyqo
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:14 am

Holy shit that's impressive! That's probably the final step in making games look completely realistic.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Logan5 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:22 am

Yeah, the facial animation tech is really amazing. Let's just hope the game is equally awesome. Rockstars previous games have all had rather crappy gameplay but some really cool features like the sound/music in red dead redemption.
Looking forward to this and also future games that will use this tech.

Btw, was that John Noble in the beginning of the tech demo?
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Re: TRON

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:55 pm

From THR:
'Tron: Legacy' Director, Disney Hoping to Extend Film Franchise Via Video Games
John Gaudiosi wrote: When it comes to the convergence of video games and Hollywood, Tron was the first example of Hollywood getting it right. And in many ways, Hollywood hasn’t learned from this perfect marriage of game and film. At least, most of Hollywood.
Although the original Tron movie didn’t have a blockbuster theatrical run, the arcade game that was designed by Jeff Bridges’ Kevin Flynn in the movie became a hit in the real world. That game makes a return in the 3D sequel, Tron: Legacy.

The Walt Disney Company, which has explored previous Tron sequels in the video game space with titles like Tron 2.0: Killer App, has invested heavily in its latest convergence project. Disney Interactive Studios enlisted two developers to create a pair of video games that do more than just allow mainstream audiences and fanboys to jump on a light cycle or pilot a light jet.

Tron: Legacy director Joe Kosinski and producers Steve Lisberger and Sean Bailey worked closely with Disney and developers Propaganda Games (Tron: Evolution) and N-Space (Tron: Evolution – Battle Grids) to create these games that bridge the 28 years between the two films and delve deeper into the mythology that’s only touched upon in the new 3D film.

“I like the fact that the games in some ways are a visual and a narrative test bed for Hollywood, where some of the more far-out ideas can be experimented with on a somewhat smaller scale than having to ratchet them all the way up to a film like Tron: Legacy,” said Lisberger. “I think that’s a good relationship between games and films.”

Tron: Evolution -- Battle Grids for Wii offers a different story line that is set closer to the Tron of 1982, which is a more colorful world than the darker universe of Tron: Evolution and Tron: Legacy. The gameplay focuses on the action that takes place on the Grid with light cycles, tanks, and other vehicles and is aimed at the more mainstream Nintendo audience.

Tron: Evolution, which is available for all other game platforms, features the voice acting and likeness of Olivia Wilde as Quorra, James Frain as Jarvis, and Bruce Boxleitner as Tron. The game begins in 1990 and chronicles the progression of the computer world from the utopia that Jeff Bridges' Kevin Flynn envisioned to the dystopia that is the setting of Tron: Legacy.

“When you watch the movie you will see flashbacks of a young Sam Flynn around this time and the game shares a couple of those scenes,” said Jeremy Miller, character art director at Propaganda Games on Tron: Evolution. “By playing the games, fans will learn out a lot of interesting back story, including the fall of the ISOs—a race of programs that play a major role in the Tron mythology.”

Players take on the role of a program created by Flynn, operating just under Tron, assigned to resolve a problem that’s occurring in the system. Gameplay involves both on-foot exploration and light cycle action. Bailey said that gamers will be able to get quality time playing with all of the vehicles that are shown in the new film, as well as learn more about the back story of the key characters.

“I had done all this work on Quorra’s back story while we were shooting Tron: Legacy, and when they said the videogame would take place in between the first Tron film and Legacy, I realized I was going to be able to use so much of the research I did on her past to create this younger version of her.”

John Gaudiosi wrote: Tron: Evolution offers an online multiplayer component for players to take part in the “games” from the film. And the PlayStation 3 version of the game is playable in stereoscopic 3D.

“I think games like Tron: Legacy have a great opportunity to use 3D technology to create a much more immersive experience for the consumer,” said Bob Iger, president and CEO, the Walt Disney Company. “When you use new technology to make something that is more compelling for the consumer, then they want more of it. They want to watch it more, play it more, and buy it more.”

Kosinski, who played the original Tron game at the arcade, believes 3D games like Tron: Evolution will help pave the way for Blu-ray 3D adoption in the home.

“You can already play Blu-ray 3D and 3D games on PlayStation 3, so games are a great way to get the technology into the home,” said Kosinski. “Games and movies are very different experiences and it's great to have one leverage the other into the home theater environment. I think there's room for both and I can't wait to play the Tron game in 3D myself.”

The world of Tron has always been intertwined with the video game world. Bridges played a video game designer and owner of Flynn’s arcade in the first film. Bridges has watched video games become a mainstream form of entertainment and was an active participant during the arcade age.

“I remember playing the original Pong 35 years ago when that first came out on the set of Rancho Deluxe,” said Bridges. “Harry Dean Stanton and I would play that game every night at the local bar. I also played the arcade games that we had on the set of Tron like Space Invaders, Asteroids and Pac-Man. Then seeing the Tron game later on at real arcades was something else. It’s amazing how far games and technology have come since then.”

With the new video games out and the 3D film preparing for its global launch, Disney is already thinking about what’s next for Tron.

“We’ve talked about a sequel and we have some beginning thoughts, but we didn’t hold anything back for this film,” said Bailey. “It’s really hard to make a good movie, and we put everything we had into this one.”

“I think Tron has the potential to become a real franchise,” said Iger. “Right now the focus is on launching a great movie and a great video game, and then hoping that the people out there agree with us. If they do, we have the ability as a company to basically turn something that’s successful in one medium or two into a true franchise. And we’re fully prepared to do that with Tron.”

With no arcades around these days, fans can jump onto the Grid and engage in online light cycle action, partake in the new discs of Tron, and explore the rich mythology of the film universe on any gaming platform.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:57 pm

From THR:
Dr. Dre to Promote 'Detox' Through 'Mafia Wars' Game
Antony Bruno wrote: In yet another sign that social games are emerging as a promotional platform of potential significance, Dr. Dre has partnered with game developer Zynga to develop a variety of branded experiences within the popular game Mafia Wars. The partnership includes streaming the music video for "Kush," the first single from Dre's long-anticipated new album Detox (due out in early 2011).

This is the first in-game music partnership for Zynga, which is one of the leading social game developers in the market today, responsible for such other hit games as FarmVille, FrontierVille and the newly released CityVille.

The video will appear as part of a "Hustlin' Wit Dre" portion of the game, which allows players to collect Dre-inspired virtual goods -- like headphones, weapons and a car -- as well as watch both the music video and an exclusive video message from Dre himself. Players can also enter to win a pair of Beats By Dre headphones and a signed copy of his new CD, which is expected to come out early next year. Finally, there will be a link in the game to buy the single "Kush" on iTunes.

Zynga's first music-related partnership was with Snoop Dogg earlier in the year, with a stunt that involved blowing up a four-ton armored truck in Nevada to celebrate the Mafia Wars garnering 10 million visitors in two weeks. Mafia Wars now claims 19 million active players a month on Facebook and on the iPhone.

Collectively, Zynga games attract some 200 million users. The new CityVille, which launched Dec. 2, already has 26 million users. Meteoric growth rates like that have label and manager executives paying attention and looking for more ways to integrate their acts and music into these environments.

In November, Bon Jovi made a bundle of greatest hits available for sale in a number of Facebook games developed by CrowdStar, including Happy Island, Happy Aquarium and It Girl. And earlier in the year, Kiss teamed up with developer Booyah to stream a live concert and make virtual goods available within NightClub City. Discussions with both label execs and managers suggest we'll be seeing a whole lot more of these kinds of initiatives in the year to come.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:33 am

Thanks Butcher. Dr Dre's been doing a lot of endorsements lately, maybe getting ready for retirement or maybe just getting his face back out there to warm people up before he puts out his new album.

I hope he contributes to DJ Hero 2, I've been having a lot of fun playing that game. Some Dre DLC in there would be a nice addition.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:20 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Thanks Butcher. Dr Dre's been doing a lot of endorsements lately, maybe getting ready for retirement or maybe just getting his face back out there to warm people up before he puts out his new album.

I hope he contributes to DJ Hero 2, I've been having a lot of fun playing that game. Some Dre DLC in there would be a nice addition.

Your welcome.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Games