Page 3 of 16

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:24 pm
by godzillasushi
MonkeyM666 wrote:Are they real? They don't look it...


They're from Gamespot, so they are totally legit!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:41 pm
by MonkeyM666
Na, the artwork looks like it's from the mid 90's... not today.

I'm calling them out right now as BS!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:43 pm
by Evil Hobbit
Oh man PG3 looks so damn good. But Halo 3 is da killer shooter for consoles! There's just something special about the gameplay. That kind of smooth calm controlls combined with those sound effects. I love it. UT3 gonna pwn so much butts as well, gonna grab that on pc though, to fast for console controll for my taste.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:45 pm
by godzillasushi
Evil Hobbit wrote:Oh man PG3 looks so damn good. But Halo 3 is da killer shooter for consoles! There's just something special about the gameplay. That kind of smooth calm controlls combined with those sound effects. I love it. UT3 gonna pwn so much butts as well, gonna grab that on pc though, to fast for console controll for my taste.


You haven't played fast shooters on a console until you've played Quake 3: Arena for the Dreamcast. One of the fastest i've played ever.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:17 pm
by TheAllSeeingEye
Just a quick update on the Blacksite- Area 51 demo on XBL. It's f*****n awful. Starts out well but I haven't seen slowdown like it for years.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:03 am
by LaDracul
MonkeyM666 wrote:Na, the artwork looks like it's from the mid 90's... not today.

I'm calling them out right now as BS!


It's just concept art for the game. The levels parody a different game.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:10 pm
by LaDracul
Anyway, this isn't a bump.

This is to say that Koei is releasing a new NIS game called "GrimGrimiore". It may resemble a certain wizard's adventures (The headmaster's name is Gammel Dore...like anyone would notice...), but you know me when it comes to loli games like that.

It does make me wonder why Koei is so reluctant to release the NeoRomance games in the US ("Angelique", "La Cord del Oro" which is published by VIZ in the US) as well as Konami sitting on "Tokimeki Memorial" and "NANA" (Which is running in "Shôjo Beat") while they give us the half-assed dating sim "Brooktown High". I'm thinking that these companies think that-
A. Men play games more than women and don't want to play a relationship game.
B. No one will understand a Japanese game.

BUT, there are a lot of people out there who don't read Japanese and would love to play these games. I've had petitions running for "Angelique" and "NANA" and so far, nothing.

I have played "Graduation", and it's an enjoyable game (Even though I hardly play stuff for the PC), but it just leaves me wanting more.

EDIT- Angelique petition Currently at 390
NANA Currently at 33...show some love.

I might do one for "La Corda del Oro" if I read more of the series...it's about a girl at a combination general/music school from the general program who is granted a wish by a cherub that gives her the ability to play the violin. She's then gained acceptance into the music program where she's competing against five guys.

Read here

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:26 am
by MonkeyM666
An interesting article on the Wii's controler and the what if's of the violence connection to video games.

It's Only a Wii bit of Violence

Much has been made of how the Wii is a family console with a squeaky clean image. But does its interface method add yet another layer of gray on an already muggy moral stage?

Nintendo has always played the family card, their mascot resplendent in cheerful toyland shades presenting a clearly defined set of moral boundaries. For parents concerned about the vapid, zombie-like expressions fixed on their 10-year-old's face as he plays with an alien-looking device, the physicality of the Wii's inviting collection of interfaces and the apparent playfulness they inspire is convincing.

The Wii is one of the few genuine master strokes of hardware design in gaming's short history. Even during the most exciting moments of a tense game of multiplayer Halo 2 or a particularly fraught police chase in Grand Theft Auto, the majority of gamers tend to sit with a glazed expression, inert and apparently oblivious to the world around them. The Wii provokes a different response: players are animated and acutely aware of their immediate surroundings. For the first time, a gaming console resembles a toy in the traditional sense.

There is, however, an interesting contradiction in the Wii's design philosophy. The Wii is the under the TV gaming experience that has been built with attracting grey and girl gamers as a primary consideration. In light of such an obvious bid to entice new demographics, Nintendo's decision to name the Wii's primary interface, the Nunchuck, after a weapon seems slightly out of step. And yet, as the Wii hurtles headlong toward its six-month birthday, the Nunchuck's nomenclature is beginning to seem less coincidental.

Nintendo's new, inclusive gaming ethos has already succeeded in bringing quality casual games to new players. Similarly, Nintendo has sated the rabid appetites of more seasoned gamers. But to be a true everyman's gaming experience and snare those moderate gamers who spent the last generation endlessly playing GTA on the PS2, the Wii is going to have to be the first Nintendo console to fully embrace gaming's so called dark side

And it seems as though this is exactly what Nintendo intends to do. Nintendo's second wave of Wii titles include the likes of Scarface, No More Heroes and Manhunt 2, all games with violence and gore as central themes. Not only that, but Nintendo has been vocal about their desire to persuade Rockstar to bring the GTA series to the Wii in some form.

But given the added level of immersion the Wii's controllers afford, does this imminent union of hardware and content present a new gaming conundrum?

A case in point is Red Steel, a Wii launch title and one of the first gamer's games to put the Nunchuck and remote through their paces. There is typically an element of detachment in console first-person shooter games; the actions performed on a control pad are linked tenuously to the onscreen action. Playing a first person-shooter on the Wii removes this dissociation; you have an onscreen twin, and the tool you have in the game is figuratively in your hand. In spite of Red Steel's lack of gore, the removal of those psychological boundaries enforces a sense of realism even light gun games don't provide.

There are other titles where this sense of mirrored action is even more acute. The butts, swings and shoves involved in roughing up enemies in the The Godfather: Blackhand Edition are a far cry from the actions required to control the boxing game in Wii Sports. The trailer for The Godfather clearly illustrates that the game's control method requires the player to make specifically violent gesticulations.

Replace a gun with a hammer or a sword, and the actions the player must use to control the onscreen action are even more tangibly violent in nature. Suddenly, the Wii's propensity to make players more animated takes on a much more sinister connotation.

Of course, it would be foolish to deem this emergent play dynamic universally bad. If a stable, well-rounded individual wants to step into the shoes of a gangster and pummel a virtual shop keeper by waving his fists around, surely he should be entitled to do so. The problem comes in rating this sort of content; will ratings boards such as PEGI, the ESRB and the BBFC soon have to factor the physical actions players perform into the classification process for Wii games?

At present, it seems as though this has not yet been considered by any of the game classification bodies. Submissions to the ESRB are voluntary, as they are for the BBFC, whereas the European PEGI system (excluding Germany, where the slightly more strict USK body controls game classification) is a self-regulated process. Developers have most often built relationships of mutual good will with classification bodies; misleading them by omitting content in submissions can have serious consequences, especially in light of gaming's current media status as the source of all societies' ills.

The ESRB, however, doesn't involve any actual play time on the part of the raters, as games are submitted for classification in the form of taped sections that contain certain kinds of content. According to the ESRB, raters are from a wide range of backgrounds, races and ages, have no ties to the gaming industry and are comprised largely of retired school principals, parents and professionals. In other words, individuals who might not necessarily know about the Wii's interface method.

Then there is the issue of how the
players choose to play. For many of the games in Wii Sports, some of the wilder movements can be just as easily performed with understated wrist flicks; it is a matter of how immersed the player chooses to be. One of the reasons political figures damn and vilify violent games more so than they do violent films is because they argue the player is allowed to direct the violence themselves. With the Wii, not only can the player direct the violence, they can act it out, too.

The way in which a game is played may not always be a consideration in violent Wii titles. There are several Wii games that contain depictions of violence and yet do not require violent mimicking with the remote or Nunchuck in order to control them. The forthcoming Wii remake of Resident Evil 4 shares The Godfather's third-person shooting action, which is controlled in a similar way. There is, however, no evidence thus far that Resident Evil 4 will require the player to perform violent actions for melee moves. Similarly, Mortal Kombat Armageddon's control scheme makes full use of the Wii's motion sensing capabilities, but only a few of the
control actions mimic the onscreen violence directly.

Is this a lack of imagination, or a conscious decision to omit violent mimicry? More importantly, should graphically violent games with conventional control schemes be rated more leniently than games that are less graphically violent but offer a more tangible connection to the violence via the control method?

Games are the media's favorite witch, and the game industry needs to be absolutely above reproach, if it is to have any hope of rebuffing the spurious claims of the fanatical and vocal few. The Wii has enjoyed positive press so far, owing in large part to the undeniable personality and playfulness embodied by its unique interface. But the mainstream media is a fickle animal, and it will only take one game to instigate a backlash with lasting repercussions throughout the industry. The ratings bodies will have to move quickly, otherwise pundits will soon be bleating about how teens are learning how to beat up and shoot their schoolmates with their Wii. And the last thing they need is more ammunition


I for one don't think that it'll change the debate much. The article ponders weather or not the physical acting out of violence on screen will bleed into the real world. Those, the more inclined units of our world, could act out their darkest pleasures because they’ve had practice. I know that Nintendo are trying to lure in darker titles like GTA but the core of Nintendo is fun for everyone and I don’t think that this will be forgotten when the games are designed.

This is why we have a ratings system, and patents should use it and not expose their children to these kind of games. If games like the Godfather come out, I want to play it in all of its glory, not have the interface sidelined by a few concerned citizens who can’t take reasonability for their own actions.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:37 am
by ThisIsTheGirl
Interesting article Monkey (although it should probably have been put in the Wii thread, but never mind :grin:)

I read something else recently which indicated that playing ANY kind of violent game makes some kids (and presumably some adults) slightly more aggressive when they stop playing, for an hour or two - perhaps the Wii interface could enhance this aggression, but I guess this comes back to the fact that if gaming makes one more aggressive, then so do Tom n Jerry cartoons. Hell, I feel a lot more aggressive after standing on a crammed tube train for an hour every morning than I've ever done after playing games!!

Still, this argument will probably get a lot more heated when the upcoming Fatty Arbuckle: Coke Bottle Simulator is released on the Wii......

:twisted:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:44 am
by MonkeyM666
I'll re-post if you like Mr. TITG.... :)

No-one reads the Wii thread any more anyway... :razz:

I've never agreed with the idea of Violence and games but the physical reactions to aggressive actions may start to cause us, the normal folk, some problems. I don't know the science behind it but the Wii’s active portion is either better for you... ie getting the aggression out. Or worse... ie giving you practice beating people with bottles.

How about this for a game: You’re a tube traveller and no-one moves out of your way to get out at your stop. You have options to use the objects around you/on you to get through the crowd. Voice, hands, bag, some guys bike… :lol: It’ll be short but oh so satisfying.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:20 am
by MonkeyM666
And the news from the article I posted above is spreading... New Scientist is on the case as well...

[url=http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/]
A Wii bit of trouble
[/url]Could the Nintendo Wii and its motion-sensing controller be a PR disaster waiting to happen? This article in online gaming mag The Escapist suggests so.

The Wii's USP is the way it replaces button mashing with arm waving for controlling a character. Its success has largely been attributed to this feature, which appears to be attracting a new demographics to gaming, specifically older people and women.

So far so good. But is trouble around the corner? Remember that some conventional games have been accused of promoting violence. The Escapist wonders how long it'll be before pressure groups turn their attention to a console that could plausibly have young men casually practising their throat-slitting skills with a flick of the wrist.

The writer believes it is a matter for the bodies that rate games. They need to start making decisions about what effect - if any - performing physically moves should have on a game's age certificate:
"it will only take one game to instigate a backlash with lasting repercussions throughout the industry. The ratings bodies will have to move quickly, otherwise pundits will soon be bleating about how teens are learning how to beat up and shoot their schoolmates with their Wii. And the last thing they need is more ammunition."
For my part, I don't think the Wii provides a greater threat than any conventional gaming experience. Anyone who's played a Wii knows that your flailing arms bear little relation to real-life moves. And the force feedback hardly makes you feel as you're really inside the game. There's no justif

But what about future games with multi-sense feedback? Although I find them hard to imagine, I think they would be a little creepy. Or am I just as reactionary as the forces that may yet line up against the humble Wii?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:05 am
by MonkeyM666
HEY HEY HEY! STARCRAFT 2 HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED! WHOOP!


Blizzard Unveils StarCraft II
Melissa Niedringhaus posted on 21 May 2007, 12:31 PM

Blizzard Entertainment's announcement at the 2007 Blizzard Worldwide Invitational event in Seoul, South Korea, turned out to be the unveiling of StarCraft II.

Blizzard has designed StarCraft II to be the ultimate competitive real-time strategy game. It will feature the return of the Protoss, Terran and Zerg races, albeit overhauled and re-imagined. Each race will be further distinguished from the others with several new units and gameplay mechanics, as well as new abilities for some classic StarCraft units that will make a reappearance in the game.

StarCraft II will include a unique single-player campaign and online play through an upgraded version of Battle.net. The game will also come with a map editor that will put the same tools used by Blizzard's designers into the hands of players.

Mike Morhaime, President and Co-founder of Blizzard Entertainment, said, "We recognize that expectations are high following the long-running popularity of the original game, but we plan to meet those expectations and deliver an engaging, action-packed, competitive experience that StarCraft players and strategy gamers worldwide will enjoy."

Blizzard is developing StarCraft II for simultaneous release on the Windows and Macintosh PC platforms. Further information about the game will be announced in the months ahead.


EDIT: Picture....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Starcraft_II_screenshot.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:38 am
by Bob Samonkey
MonkeyM666 wrote:And the news from the article I posted above is spreading... New Scientist is on the case as well...

[url=http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/]
A Wii bit of trouble
[/url]Could the Nintendo Wii and its motion-sensing controller be a PR disaster waiting to happen? This article in online gaming mag The Escapist suggests so.

The Wii's USP is the way it replaces button mashing with arm waving for controlling a character. Its success has largely been attributed to this feature, which appears to be attracting a new demographics to gaming, specifically older people and women.

So far so good. But is trouble around the corner? Remember that some conventional games have been accused of promoting violence. The Escapist wonders how long it'll be before pressure groups turn their attention to a console that could plausibly have young men casually practising their throat-slitting skills with a flick of the wrist.

The writer believes it is a matter for the bodies that rate games. They need to start making decisions about what effect - if any - performing physically moves should have on a game's age certificate:
"it will only take one game to instigate a backlash with lasting repercussions throughout the industry. The ratings bodies will have to move quickly, otherwise pundits will soon be bleating about how teens are learning how to beat up and shoot their schoolmates with their Wii. And the last thing they need is more ammunition."
For my part, I don't think the Wii provides a greater threat than any conventional gaming experience. Anyone who's played a Wii knows that your flailing arms bear little relation to real-life moves. And the force feedback hardly makes you feel as you're really inside the game. There's no justif

But what about future games with multi-sense feedback? Although I find them hard to imagine, I think they would be a little creepy. Or am I just as reactionary as the forces that may yet line up against the humble Wii?


So why am I not out killing more ducks as I used to play the hell out of Duck Hunt when I was a kid. And they provided you with a gun and made you use it in the correct way...

The only way I could see using a gun in real life was if a dog popped up from somewhere and started laughing at me when I mess up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:53 am
by godzillasushi
Wii outsells Sony five-fold

Yahoo wrote:TOKYO (AFP) - Nintendo's Wii video game console outsold rival Sony's PlayStation 3 by more than five to one in Japan in May, a research company said Tuesday.

Nintendo sold 251,794 Wii consoles last month, while Sony sold just 45,321 PS3s, according to Enterbrain, a Japanese publisher that tracks video game console sales.

The figures indicate that Nintendo is extending its lead over Sony on the Japanese electronics giant's home turf. In April the Wii outsold the PS3 by about four to one in Japan, according to the research firm.

Sony and Nintendo -- along with Microsoft, maker of the Xbox 360 -- are locked in fierce competition in the next-generation home game console market.

Nintendo, which has long dominated portable consoles, has enjoyed brisk sales of the Wii console, known for its innovative motion-sensitive controller.

In total, Nintendo has sold about 2.49 million Wii consoles in Japan since it was launched last December, while Sony has sold 928,642 PS3s since it was introduced here last November.

Sony was forced to delay the global launch of the PS3 by about six months due to problems with the high-definition DVD player and pushed back the rollout again until March in Europe and some other markets.


Could it be because the PS3 has a total of two games even worth mentioning?!? I THINK SO!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:06 am
by MonkeyM666
WII, WII, WII, WII!!!

HORAH!


Bye, bye Sony... you're going DOWN.... those two games sure do look pruty though :o

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:27 am
by MonkeyM666
Preview of the new Simpsons Game. It looks really good!

http://uk.gamespot.com/video/0/6170732/autoplay-video

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:43 am
by papalazeru
Looks good...for about a minute then it just all looks the same.

There's nothing new in the game, homer just transforms into a ball and bart is bartman...after about half an hour....meh!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:47 am
by MonkeyM666
I was hoping that you can play all of the characters and they all have different powers, and more then just one each.

I hope that there's not all inside, I hope that it's GTA style openness and interactivness that would be cool.

I do agree papa, but I have some hope... I mean one of the guys introducing it is nearly wetting his pants he's so excited about it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:37 pm
by papalazeru
Yeah but watching a geek wet himself is not my idea of entertainment.

I think it has potential but from the demo, it looks very samey samey.

I do hold out hope but it looks very derivative. The last simpsons game on the PS2 was good though, that driving thingy. Got boring after a while though.

I did like the "I am evil Homer...I am evil Homer" quote...that made me laugh every time I heard it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:39 pm
by MonkeyM666
Yeah... I know. I'm defending something that will most likely be the same but I'm trying to keep the faith.

ROCK BAND

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:08 pm
by Nachokoolaid
Looks like Rock Band, the next game from Harmonix, looks GREAT. Possible GOTY, from early talk.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25704135

I'm digging the 4 master tracks released so far. I just want to see Metallica, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC in there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:07 am
by MonkeyM666
Here's an interesting article on The Pathology of Game Design.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:36 am
by ThisIsTheGirl
Fantastic article, Monkey -lots to think about there.

At first I couldn't stop laughing because of the way the text of that article is wrapped around the page - underneath the picture of the guy in a full body lab suit, looking into a microscope it says "the archetypal game-playing teenager." :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:56 am
by MonkeyM666
hehehe... yeah, I thought that too when I saw it. I laughed a little more when I remembered that I went through a similar thing to the TV commercial the guy wrote on the first page. It wasn't a commercial but it was a long story on a current affairs show about the effects of gaming on children/tweens. Was I fucked up because of this??? No… ok, well maybe a little bit. You know how hard it is to make gaming look good for a camera? I ended up going overboard and was rocking around, pulling faces, yelling at the other kids I was competing against. The producer/reporter loved it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:59 am
by MonkeyM666
And another cool article.... THE FUTURE OF GAMING

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:25 am
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Excellent contributions to a the thread, eh paisan? Thank you for posting them inna here...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:30 am
by MonkeyM666
I never know if your joking or not Dino....:?

Err... thanks :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:48 am
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Hehehe... the Dino, he was a not a joking, eh?


THIS time...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:57 am
by MonkeyM666
Well I'm glad that you're enjoying them Dino.... I never know if anyone reads this stuff. I just post what i find interesting :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:52 am
by godzillasushi
Here's one for all you wand waving people out there that enjoy swinging a small controller in the belief that it gives you all the excercise you need. I love stories like this and all Wii fans should too.


Yahoo wrote:TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS) briefly zipped past Sony Corp. (6758.T) in market capitalization on Monday to become one of Japan's 10 most valuable companies as it elbows the PlayStation maker out of its decade-long dominance of the game industry.

Nintendo joined global household names such as Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T), Honda Motor Co. (7267.T) and Canon Inc. (7751.T) on the top-10 list before its shares erased earlier gains and ended the day lower.

The Kyoto-based company finished in the 11th place by market value, just above Panasonic maker Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. (6752.T) and below Sony. Those companies, the world's largest and second-largest consumer electronics makers, both have sales more than eight times as big as Nintendo's.

"It is becoming quite clear that Nintendo is taking back its market share from Sony in the console market while well defending its stronghold of portable games," Mizuho Securities analyst Takeshi Koyama said.

Nintendo's Wii game console has outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 by three to one in Japan and by more than two to one in the United States so far this year, according to game magazine publisher Enterbrain and research firm NPD.

Demand for its DS handheld game players also far outstripped that for Sony's PlayStation Portable.

Koyama said, however, that investors should watch out for a possible pull-back after two year-long bull runs.

"This is one of those companies that is not exactly making daily necessities. One negative factor and shares could take a dive. We need to be careful in dealing with shares like this," Koyama said.

Nintendo's shares rose as high as 46,350 yen, a record high, in the morning session, boosting its market value to 6.57 trillion yen ($53 billion) and narrowly surpassing Sony's market capitalization.

VIRTUOUS CIRCLE

"I don't think this is a case of Sony being in bad shape as a company. Rather, Nintendo is doing well with the Wii," said Soichiro Monji, chief strategist at the equity management department of Daiwa SB Investments.

"However if you look at Nintendo's price-to-earnings ratio it is quite high. So I think the stock has largely factored in some of the future growth."

Nintendo closed down 0.8 percent at 45,100 yen, bringing down its market value to 6.39 trillion yen, a touch below Sony's 6.48 trillion yen.

Based on the closing price, Nintendo's prospective price-earnings ratio comes to 36.5, compared with 20.3 for Sony.

Sony shares have put on 66 percent over the past two years, outperforming the Nikkei average (^N225 - news), which rose 57 percent. But Nintendo shares soared nearly fourfold over the same period.

Nintendo has offered a slew of innovative and easy-to-use game software such as "Brain Age" and "Nintendogs" for its hardware in recent years, broadening the game-playing population beyond young males to women and the elderly.

Sony, which has dominated the $30 billion game industry over the past decade with its PlayStation and PlayStation 2, saw a slow start for the PS3, launched late last year, due mainly to its high prices and lack of attractive software titles.

Strong sales of the Wii and DS have prompted third-party software makers to actively develop new titles for the Nintendo machines, creating a virtuous circle for the company known for such game characters as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokemon.

Sega Sammy Holdings Inc. (6460.T), for example, plans to almost double the number of new software titles for Nintendo hardware to 49 in the year to March 2008, while cutting the number of new titles for Sony gear by 45 percent to 42.

Sony's game unit posted an operating loss of 232 billion yen in the year ended March, hit by heavy start-up costs for the PS3.

The division, however, is estimated to report a much smaller loss for the current business year, and profits at its mainstay electronics unit will likely grow sharply, led by brisk demand for its Bravia liquid crystal dism@reuters.net; +81-3-3432-8837; kiyoshi.takenaka@reuters.com))


http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070625/tc_nm/nintendo_sony_dc;_ylt=Avlq8O3kEm1SGe1s_71At48jtBAF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:30 am
by MonkeyM666
Just to say it again...

MonkeyM666 wrote:WII, WII, WII, WII!!!

HORAH!


Bye, bye Sony... you're going DOWN.... :o

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:44 am
by LaDracul
I found a trailer for the new Simpsons game-
http://www.simpsonschannel.com/

It makes me wonder if little Maggie helps her mommy in gameplay like Sunny crawling through small spaces in "A Series of Unfortunate Events"...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:02 am
by Nachokoolaid
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/810/810634p1.html

AWESOME!

Harmonix has added "Don't Fear the Reaper" from the now famous SNL skit, and have announced that the mic will double as a cowbell when you slap it against your palm. That's too awesome.

This will be a contender for GOTY.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:43 pm
by ChaoticMoira
MonkeyM666 wrote:WII, WII, WII, WII!!!

HORAH!


Bye, bye Sony... you're going DOWN.... those two games sure do look pruty though :o


I am getting a WII and yet this blasphemy still upsets me.

Sony will rise again, just you wait.

She will rise again I say

I am only getting that darn WII so I can actively practice being more violent anyway... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:17 pm
by Bob Samonkey
Spielbergfilms.com wrote:March 13, 2007
Spielberg developing exclusive Wii game
It's a known fact that Steven Spielberg has been a die-hard gamer for as long as there has been a video game industry. Besides following the industry and its output religiously over the last three decades, Spielberg has also contributed his creativity to the creation of numerous games including classic titles such as "Medal of Honor," "The Dig," "The Neverhood," and "Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair."

Last year, Electronic Arts announced that they were forming a limited three game partnership with Spielberg to develop original titles of his creation. Little news has surfaced about their activity to date, but EA Vice President and General Manager Neil Young broke some very big info last week.

In an interview with industry trade GameDaily BIZ, Young announced that one of the titles Spielberg is developing with EA is for the popular new Nintendo Wii console. Absolutely no information on the Spielberg game concepts, titles or even release dates have been revealed to date, but at least two (the Wii game and a PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 title) of the three Spielberg titles are in active development.

"With specific regards to the relationship with Steven, he's always been a gamer," Young told GameDaily BIZ. "He's sort of been a friend of Electronic Arts ever since we purchased DreamWorks Interactive, which obviously he was the principal of.

"And over the course of the last—I think the deal came together maybe a year or so ago now—he started to see what the next-generation machines were capable of doing. He just started getting very excited, and we started talking again about the questions that Electronic Arts was actually founded on—that "can a computer game make you cry?" And he's very motivated to solve those problems too. So we formed the collaboration and have been working with him since then and it's come along great. He's in the studio every week and it's good."

Spielberg is said to be particularly interested in the Wii platform following his now famed showdown at last year's E3 with legendary Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto (below). Certainly the absolute fun of playing Wii, not to mention the platform's run-away success won't hurt in whatever electronic marvel Spielberg brings to gamers. Expect big things!

At least two of the three games are expected to debut sometime in 2008. We'll have more information for you as it develops.


And I was just reading an article in EGM that stated after playing the Wii he had an idea:

EGM wrote:"Spielberg had a software toy he didn't think could be done until he got his hands on the Wii-mote. The genesis of the idea is based on things that Steven loved to do when he was a child growing up...something fundamental and very visceral."


So what do you guys think it is?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:57 pm
by Nachokoolaid
Spielberg's "Whack-a-Nazi."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:00 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
Nachokoolaid wrote:Spielberg's "Whack-a-Nazi."


hahahaha, that sounds like a kick-ass flash game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:43 pm
by Hollywood_Bob
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Spielbergfilms.com wrote:March 13, 2007
Spielberg developing exclusive Wii game
It's a known fact that Steven Spielberg has been a die-hard gamer for as long as there has been a video game industry. Besides following the industry and its output religiously over the last three decades, Spielberg has also contributed his creativity to the creation of numerous games including classic titles such as "Medal of Honor," "The Dig," "The Neverhood," and "Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair."

Last year, Electronic Arts announced that they were forming a limited three game partnership with Spielberg to develop original titles of his creation. Little news has surfaced about their activity to date, but EA Vice President and General Manager Neil Young broke some very big info last week.

In an interview with industry trade GameDaily BIZ, Young announced that one of the titles Spielberg is developing with EA is for the popular new Nintendo Wii console. Absolutely no information on the Spielberg game concepts, titles or even release dates have been revealed to date, but at least two (the Wii game and a PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 title) of the three Spielberg titles are in active development.

"With specific regards to the relationship with Steven, he's always been a gamer," Young told GameDaily BIZ. "He's sort of been a friend of Electronic Arts ever since we purchased DreamWorks Interactive, which obviously he was the principal of.

"And over the course of the last—I think the deal came together maybe a year or so ago now—he started to see what the next-generation machines were capable of doing. He just started getting very excited, and we started talking again about the questions that Electronic Arts was actually founded on—that "can a computer game make you cry?" And he's very motivated to solve those problems too. So we formed the collaboration and have been working with him since then and it's come along great. He's in the studio every week and it's good."

Spielberg is said to be particularly interested in the Wii platform following his now famed showdown at last year's E3 with legendary Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto (below). Certainly the absolute fun of playing Wii, not to mention the platform's run-away success won't hurt in whatever electronic marvel Spielberg brings to gamers. Expect big things!

At least two of the three games are expected to debut sometime in 2008. We'll have more information for you as it develops.


And I was just reading an article in EGM that stated after playing the Wii he had an idea:

EGM wrote:"Spielberg had a software toy he didn't think could be done until he got his hands on the Wii-mote. The genesis of the idea is based on things that Steven loved to do when he was a child growing up...something fundamental and very visceral."


So what do you guys think it is?


One of the games could be the LEGO Indiana Jones Game they previeed at Comic Con this year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:47 pm
by Bob Samonkey
Hollywood_Bob wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Spielbergfilms.com wrote:March 13, 2007
Spielberg developing exclusive Wii game
It's a known fact that Steven Spielberg has been a die-hard gamer for as long as there has been a video game industry. Besides following the industry and its output religiously over the last three decades, Spielberg has also contributed his creativity to the creation of numerous games including classic titles such as "Medal of Honor," "The Dig," "The Neverhood," and "Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair."

Last year, Electronic Arts announced that they were forming a limited three game partnership with Spielberg to develop original titles of his creation. Little news has surfaced about their activity to date, but EA Vice President and General Manager Neil Young broke some very big info last week.

In an interview with industry trade GameDaily BIZ, Young announced that one of the titles Spielberg is developing with EA is for the popular new Nintendo Wii console. Absolutely no information on the Spielberg game concepts, titles or even release dates have been revealed to date, but at least two (the Wii game and a PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 title) of the three Spielberg titles are in active development.

"With specific regards to the relationship with Steven, he's always been a gamer," Young told GameDaily BIZ. "He's sort of been a friend of Electronic Arts ever since we purchased DreamWorks Interactive, which obviously he was the principal of.

"And over the course of the last—I think the deal came together maybe a year or so ago now—he started to see what the next-generation machines were capable of doing. He just started getting very excited, and we started talking again about the questions that Electronic Arts was actually founded on—that "can a computer game make you cry?" And he's very motivated to solve those problems too. So we formed the collaboration and have been working with him since then and it's come along great. He's in the studio every week and it's good."

Spielberg is said to be particularly interested in the Wii platform following his now famed showdown at last year's E3 with legendary Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto (below). Certainly the absolute fun of playing Wii, not to mention the platform's run-away success won't hurt in whatever electronic marvel Spielberg brings to gamers. Expect big things!

At least two of the three games are expected to debut sometime in 2008. We'll have more information for you as it develops.


And I was just reading an article in EGM that stated after playing the Wii he had an idea:

EGM wrote:"Spielberg had a software toy he didn't think could be done until he got his hands on the Wii-mote. The genesis of the idea is based on things that Steven loved to do when he was a child growing up...something fundamental and very visceral."


So what do you guys think it is?


One of the games could be the LEGO Indiana Jones Game they previeed at Comic Con this year.


Using the Wii-mote to whip the girl at the end of the game to bring her in to kiss you...

Nachokoolaid wrote:Spielberg's "Whack-a-Nazi."


The most interesting thought about that is that they said it was something he used to enjoy doing as a child....


Also apparently Mike Bay started his own game company and the guy who made Oddworld is going to make a movie. That might be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:14 pm
by LaDracul
A game based on "The Office" US will be available on PSP and DS. And I pray that the Wernham-Hogg crew will be playable...

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure/theoffice/news.html?sid=6172818

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:24 pm
by LaDracul
Bumping for more on "The Simpsons" game.

Each platform has different cover art, like Ralph Wiggum as Frodo, Todd as Samwise, and Milhouse as Katamari King.

Image

Also released was a trailer for "Medal of Homer"-
"Oooh, look at me! I'm FRENCH! I'm a scared girl! I don't like being bombed and attacked!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:38 am
by godzillasushi
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20070905/tc_usatoday/18gratefuldeadsongsincludedinrockband;_ylt=AhIy.NC64HhHEMkdlScFEzYjtBAF

Yahoo wrote:Deadheads have a reason to jam when the musical video game Rock Band hits stores this holiday season. The Grateful Dead will have 18 songs in the game, including Truckin', Uncle John's Band, Touch of Grey, Sugar Magnolia and Casey Jones. All of the songs will be original master recordings.

Cover versions of the band's work have been used in some cases such as Guitar Hero to keep costs down. (The sequel Guitar Hero 3, out next month, will have a majority of master recordings, too.)

"Grateful Dead's unique fusion of rock, folk, bluegrass, blues, and jazz challenged traditional musical boundaries and pushed the limits of creativity to produce a signature sound that is undeniably their own," said MTV's Paul DeGooyer in a press release. "With an enormous legion of fans all over the world, "Rock Band" will give players a chance to interact with the music of these beloved rock pioneers and experience what Grateful Dead did best - jam from the depths of their souls."

MTV Games and Harmonix, which created Guitar Hero with publisher Red Octane, are developing Rock Band, which takes the music-based game category to new multiplayer levels by including two guitar controllers, a drum controller and microphone to recreate the dynamic of a real band. Electronic Arts is publishing Rock Band for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. No official release date or prices have been set. But pre-orders at online retailers such as Amazon.com start at $60 and go up to $200 with guitar, drums and microphone with availability for Nov. 20.

Bands and artists such as the Rolling Stones, David Bowie, The Clash, Foo Fighters, The Ramones, Radiohead, The Strokes and Nine Inch Nails have already agreed to have master recordings in the game. Metallica has made a deal to have much of its catalog available and The Who's Who's Next album will be downloadable in its entirety.

In the release, Rhino's Mark Pincus says that the Dead, "with their 30 year career and their timeless music, are the perfect addition to Rock Band. … "It's going to be a blast playing along to songs ranging from the Dead's earliest hit Truckin' to their final hit Touch of Grey. I'm confident that Rock Band will be instrumental in introducing kids to the magical music of Grateful Dead."

No word yet on whether any of the songs will require drummers to perform extended space jams.


You know, I really didn't enjoy Guitar Hero 2 but I partly blame the soundtrack because it was relatively weak. Between Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3 I have completely changed my tune. First of all the Guitar Hero 3 soundtrack is amazing. I love that now they are starting to move away from covers. And they are putting 18 tracks from a single band into this one, how great is that? It's just so very cool. If they manage to fit all these games into XBL I will be thrilled. That's just so so so so cool.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:08 am
by Fawst
Yah, but... it's the Grateful Dead! They kinda... well, I'll refrain from putting my two cents in here about them (they suck), but they don't really have what I would consider to be a sound that jives with a "Rock Band" game.

Give me some fuckin RUSH in there! You know, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, I'd even take Closer To The Heart as a ballad.

How about some Dream Theater? Queensryche? Disturbed? The Music?

They need to make a level generator that you throw an mp3 at the game (or a cd, whatever) and it creates a playable level for it. Cuz seriously, I would just put in dredg and be done. DONE.

Fuckin... Grateful DEAD? *sigh*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:22 am
by godzillasushi
Well, it's not just their music though dude haha. You have what sounds like a ton of Metallica, and other stuff. It's sounding packed. That's just 18 songs they could easily and cheaply get a hold of. Remember, no matter how bad the songs are it's still nice to have a giant catalogue to choose from.

BTW everyone does owe it to themselves to look up the GH3 soundtrack anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:00 pm
by Fawst
See, my problem with the Dead being involved in such a high capacity is because this already reeks of advertising. The guy in the interview flat out says, they hope to bring their music to a new, young audience. That rubs me the wrong way. But whatever, I can't complain...

I need to find that soundtrack listing, off to wiki I go :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:15 am
by TheAllSeeingEye
Looks like Sony has opened ANOTHER can of worms in their already ludicrous marketting campaign. Check out this snipped from xbox scene.

Our friends over at Sony HQ must be at their whits end with all this Halo 3 talk, because they devilishly and secretly stuck it to the Halo franchise with a ::gasp:: Wikipedia revision! Using WikiScanner, it was discovered that an IP address originating out of Sony's UK studios edited the Wikipedia entry for "Halo series" dissing Halo 3's graphics. Sony's Wiki revision poked fun of the game's graphics by saying that they "wont look any better than Halo 2". Ouch Sony, just ouch. But don't worry Halo fanboys, because the Halo series wiki entry has since been corrected and set to a semi-locked status. Take that Halo haters!


And just when you thought they couldnt be anymore desperate :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:27 am
by godzillasushi
Wow ASE, that's hillarious. Im so glad that scanner thing was created! And it doesn't suprise me. That's just proof that Sony might actually be afraid of....Halo.....3.

*Ahem* 19 freakin days!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:32 am
by Fievel
Back to the Dead...

Unless you can improvise on the game, that's a ridiculously odd/stupid move to make. I love the Grateful Dead, but hardly any of their studio stuff is what I'd consider "cool" for a game like this.

Who knows. Maybe they'll offer some old family-recipe LSD doses with each game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:35 am
by godzillasushi
Ah, but Fievel, think of it as a piece of the pie. It's only a small part of the library. If you don't want to play those songs you don't have to. Im just glad there's variety because the same songs over and over eventually get old. They probably got them really cheap so why not? It doesn't help/hurt the game at all. It's just there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 am
by Fawst
I think it's a combo of personal taste (hate the Dead) and not understanding the game. I figured if the songs are in there, I'd be playing them eventually. Also, I'd rather just have 18 other songs to play :) But that's just me.

Hey, I've put up with bad music in rhythm games before. Bust a Groove comes to mind, and Parappa the Rapper... and Um Jammer Lammy... and Space Channel 5. But the thing about the music in those games is that it was quirky. It grew on you. The Dead just make my skin crawl.

That's such a great line :D "The Dead... they make my skin crawl."