Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Postby Fawst on Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:15 pm

At least, I THINK that's the title. Have you guys seen this yet? They showed off some tech demo stuff at the last (?) E3, may have even been two years ago. Over at www.gamespot.com they have coverage of this year's GDC, and they have a great preview of this game on there.

It sounds like a Star Wars geek's wet dream come true. You play an unnamed Jedi under orders from Darth Vader to hunt down and kill other Jedi at some point between Episodes III and IV. To do this, you get a spaceship to go planet to planet, a lightsaber (duh), and Force powers that sound like the coolest stuff ever. The tech demo they showed off before (which was NOT actual gameplay, but it sounds like you'll be able to do all of this) showed the player lifting Stormtroopers into the air, shocking them with lightning, slamming one into a wall, then lifting the other off the ground and repeatedly slamming him back into it. After that, he lifts a boulder off the ground and hurls it into an oncoming TIE Fighter.

I'd post the link to the story, but I'm at work and of COURSE gamespot.com is blocked :( Believe me, this is worth checking out. Whoever did the concept art for this game deserves to be given free reign over all things Star Wars from here on out. Talk about making SW look like the fantasy that it actually is! I believe they had one, maybe two actual screenshots, and if the final product looks anything like them... wow. PS3 and Xbox 360, ftw!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:41 pm

looks very nice, I'm a HUGE sucker for the Star Wars games. They seem to alternate between absolutely brilliant and mind-numbingly awful. I really hope this is the former as it just LOOKS so damned pretty.

here is a direct link to the story.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:47 pm

I've been watching all the behind-the-scenes stuff on this game. Anything short of amazing in the release will be a disappointment (much like the movies.. hahaha).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:48 pm

If you haven't seen it, check out the early game footage for this on YouTube.

BE WARNED! If you watch that video, YOU WILL WANT THIS GAME!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:18 pm

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:36 pm

Although im really skeptical about this game it sounds amazing. Past non-vehicle based Star Wars games have been quite lame. KOTOR was good, but nothing could really capture Star Wars the same way FPS's and Rogue Squadron did. Im really hoping this isnt another game with great technology at work but a lackluster overall package. The idea that they are giving a player so much freedom means a couple of things. It will be free roaming depending on what walls you decide to knock down etc., and it will still have artificial boundries. I dont know that this is a great game, but rather the start of a great game.

I watched some of the tech demos for how they plan to use physics to simulate how surfaces would react to force. It was really primitive but still more advanced then what any game is currently using. Find the plywood demo if you can since I dont have a link. You all would find it pretty neat.

Then again....it is a Star Wars game. We really only need the great music to enjoy the game!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:12 pm

If they could make this game with a world (or worlds equaling) the size of say, San Andreas... wow. This IS a first step, though. I think they need to put out a great action game with this kind of freedom, and then use that as a stepping stone to a much larger, more detailed world. Focus on the tech now, make a game that sucks you in and makes you want more. Then when you make the next one, you get to focus on the content rather than the technicalities.

Bottom line, I just want to wander around fucking stuff up with the Force, then putting the cherry on top with a lightsaber.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:17 pm

I've been paying attention to this, and it is on my radar. Honestly though, I'd be more stoked for a Star Wars game on the Wii that was really "next gen." Just think of the cool lightsaber duels.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby bluebottle on Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:30 pm

that's the kind of game that would make me go next gen... holy shit it looks awesome.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:43 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:If you haven't seen it, check out the early game footage for this on YouTube.

Yeah I saw that a while back on 1up and showed everyone in my home. Then I got mad when no one cared and got as excited as I did....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:48 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Yeah I saw that a while back on 1up and showed everyone in my home. Then I got mad when no one cared and got as excited as I did....

That's why we're your real family, Bob.

Here, have a nice glass of kool-aid. :)
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:50 pm

Is it grape!?!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:08 am

I harbor a particular fondness for Shadows of the Empire on the N64. It's not considered a classic in the gamer or SW communities, but I loved the hell out of that game.

Since Kool-Aid was mentioned, I must say I miss Purplesaurus Rex. Mixing grape and lemonade just isn't the same. :(
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:10 am

MasterWhedon wrote:If you haven't seen it, check out the early game footage for this on YouTube.

Whoa.

So is this pre- or post-OT?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Fievel on Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:11 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:

It takes place between Eps. 3&4. You control Darth Vader's apprentice.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:04 am

I cannot believe that the video you posted MW was pre-vis!!!! HOW FRIGGEN COOL IS THIS GAME GOING TO BE!!

I was just having a look on gamespot and the in game stills and concept art is just amazing. It's very impressive. I'm not overly surprised that a game of this graphical quality is coming out from Lucas arts. I mean it's not like that had to develop an entirely new world, weapons, or moves. In fact I'm pretty sure that they would have just grabbed the old wireframes from previous games and cranked it to 11. I hope that the game play is equal to what we're seeing here for the graphics. I want to torment storm troopers like the pre-vis does :D

Is it just going to be on Consoles? Or will it push the limits of a PC as well (like supreme commander will)?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:17 am

Looks like there is another reason for me to buy an Xbox 360 besides Oblivion and Gears of War. Still out of my price range though.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:39 am

Argh, new computer or console... new computer or console... dammit!

I totally missed half of the concept art on gamespot til last night. Oh my god! TONFA SABERS? I dunno, it's cool and all but... oh who am I kidding, it'll be sick!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:17 am

For the lazy one's out there I've got some pics... they make me drool…

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri May 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Here's a Force Unleashed "preview video" from Yahoo games:

check it

There's a lot of commentary from the developers in which they basically just offer to lick George's neck f@t, but there is some very, very pretty game footage as well (in small pieces).

I do like the core concept of the game that the developers have aspired to: "kicking someone's ass with the Force!"
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri May 25, 2007 9:59 pm

I like the Vader apprentice bit. Always with the backstabbing those darksiders.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:23 am

New E3 2007 Trailer!

http://www.gametrailers.com

Go there and type in Force Unleashed in the search engine. Still early work in progress, but they are getting very close to the early concept videos. Put it this way... this gameplay video ends the same way the concept trailer did: destruction of a strafing TIE Fighter by throwing something at it using the Force. SICK.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:26 am

Fievel wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:

It takes place between Eps. 3&4. You control Darth Vader's apprentice.

Is he always Dark Side?

Please tell me you can go good and face off against Vader.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Fawst on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:58 am

I think the story for this one is kind of morally ambiguous. Yes, you are working for Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi after Ep 3, but as you can see from the gameplay, you're constantly slaughtering hapless Stormtroopers. From what I've read, the story involves Vader and his plans to overthrow the Emperor. I'm sure you can see why that would pit you against both Jedi and the Empire.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:02 am

Fawst wrote:New E3 2007 Trailer!

http://www.gametrailers.com

Go there and type in Force Unleashed in the search engine. Still early work in progress, but they are getting very close to the early concept videos. Put it this way... this gameplay video ends the same way the concept trailer did: destruction of a strafing TIE Fighter by throwing something at it using the Force. SICK.

THAT.... :shock:

LOOKS...... :shock:

AMAZING!!!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby monorail77 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:14 am

Hahahah. that soooo describes my home life. Right on, soul brother!!
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:24 am

GEEKGASM!!!!

This game looks like it will redefine the word "awesome".
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:49 am

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! that looks amazing. I keep getting more and more excited about this game...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:42 am

Looks like I will be buying a PS3 after all...
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:58 pm

unikrunk wrote:Looks like I will be buying a PS3 after all...

This is a big fence that I'm on right now.
I'm curious to see how the Wii's control system works with this game.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:08 pm

holy shnikeys!

that's so rad, the wii version will be fun for lightsaber stuff, but methinks I won't regret picking it up for PS3
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:14 pm

I take it this is a new video of the game in action? Blocked here at work, blah. Do they show all three console versions?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:54 am

Here's a good rundown of what's going on in the game, and some EXTREMELY cool pictures in there, too.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:03 am

I still have an old tv so I do not need any stinking 1080p or PS3 as of yet. I will happily play on my Xbox 360
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:05 am

I still have an old tv so I do not need any stinking 1080p or PS3 as of yet. I will happily play on my Xbox 360

Primates... always so slow on the evolutionary chain.... (I kid, because I care)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:27 am

Ahhh...I thought it was only released for PS3 - I have been on the fence regarding purchase of a 360 or PS3 - was already leaning towards 360, so this is good news.

/also do not have hi-def tv
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:54 pm

geez guys, you can get a ok HDTV now for $600 or less.

but whatever floats your boat.

I wonder now, with the planned toy and marketing blitz expected as this game comes closer to launch... I wonder if our protaginists adventures will be a part of the Star Wars live action series since they reside in the same time frame?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Tycho at Penny Arcade had a good point on this the other day:

Penny Arcade wrote:I don't actually know what it would look like if a lightsaber cut through a chunk of red crystal embedded in a mound of onyx. If you were to simulate it, as long as things are mostly lining up I'm going to accept it and move on. Same goes for a set of plasteel blast doors crumpled by The Force. Actually, most materials can be simulated in such a way that the mind could carry the one and make it work, in science fiction especially. But when people move in ridiculous ways, all the hard work you put into the rest of that world is obliterated. If a crate hits another crate, that's fine. If a person tries to grab a crate, that is also fine. The trouble comes when people grab onto other people and pirouette off into infinity.

It seems to me that one person would act more like a crate or an anchor to someone being thrown using the force.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:14 pm

Right I think that's why you see them grabbing for the first thing they see hence taking someone with them in large groups.

I would rather see that sorta go though, maybe make the grabbed trooper smart enough to force the other one to let go, by laser fire if needed. Stormtroopers are mostly heatless bastards. If they thought the trooper pissing of the Sith in the room was gonna take them with them I would say they'd shoot his ass real quick.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:21 pm

King Psyz wrote:Right I think that's why you see them grabbing for the first thing they see hence taking someone with them in large groups.

I would rather see that sorta go though, maybe make the grabbed trooper smart enough to force the other one to let go, by laser fire if needed. Stormtroopers are mostly heatless bastards. If they thought the trooper pissing of the Sith in the room was gonna take them with them I would say they'd shoot his ass real quick.

Yeah I would like to see that happen as well.

That whole making someone spin off with them acts counter to logic. I understand why someone would grab anything as they were floating by, but two people floating off seems odd. A crate a buy as that can be light and would not drastically change a flightplan ;). A person however, not so much.

Other than that nitpick the game looks ridiculously awesome.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:30 pm

But when he is using the force grabbie thingy. It does not look like it is set to grab one person but more like an area. So maybe when they grab the guy they get in the aura of the force...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:But when he is using the force grabbie thingy. It does not look like it is set to grab one person but more like an area. So maybe when they grab the guy they get in the aura of the force...

Yeah I would believe that if then you iunitially started it everything in the area moved, but that does not seem to be the case.

I am going to stop harping on it now ;).
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:42 pm

No PC? Oh well.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:55 am

I wanna run in to Boba Fett, and maybe Kyle Katarn.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:43 am

This just in: You play as Darth Vader for the entire first level!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/08/the-force-unleashed-selling-point-17-play-as-darth-vader/
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:54 am

Do you get to kill Padme?

Press R1 for "NOOOOOOO!".
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:59 am

Plot Revealed!!!

LucasArts has posted a new web documentary from the Force Unleashed titled, “A New Chapter: The Story of The Force Unleashed.”

A... maze... ing....
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:27 pm

I got to play a demo at Comic-Con. I wrote this up for my friends website and I'll just throw it up here too.

•Star Wars:The Force Unleashed

I’ve really been anticipating this one. As a fan of the Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy titles, The Force Unleashed was naturally on the top of my list. The demo began with our dark apprentice rising up an elevator to a long bridge with a battle taking place between Rebel soldiers and Stormtroopers. I was hundreds of feet in the air, and the hanger around me was huge. So even though I was only on a small platform, the scale of the map still felt enormous. Excellent.

The guy from LucasArts gave me a quick overview of the controls, and I was soon ready to go. Remember, the Secret Apprentice’s natural enemy would be the Rebels, but he’s also a secret from the Empire, so the stormtroopers are gonna have to go too. Three rebel soldiers had their back to me, and I quickly dispatched them with my lightsaber. Now that I have the stormtrooper’s attention, I lift a crate and send two of them flying back with it. When you kill an enemy, small green crosses emanate from their body and restore your health. I lifted a stormtrooper and mercilessly speared him with my saber. All enemies neutralized.

At the other end of the platform, a large elevator slowly rises to my level that has a handful of stormtrooper’s and an AT-ST walker on it. The walker begins immediately firing, but I’m already charging forward. I unleash a burst of lightning, injuring a few stormtroopers and disabling the walker. I jump to the walker’s level and hack madly at it while floating in the air. I do some damage, but not enough to destroy the walker. The walker comes back to life and begins firing. Seeing my health a little low, I take care of a few more stormtroopers to replenish my health. I start hacking again at the walker, but it’s much harder to do without disabling it first. Injured again, I take care of the last of the stormtroopers and go in for my final strike against the walker. After almost getting it’s health bar all the way down, I enter a button pressing sequence prompted on screen. After a few tries, I jump up and slice the walker in two, and the dead stormtroopers inside spill out. Now I should mention that out of all of the people waiting in line, I was the only one to destroy the walker, but fueling my ego like that just isn't healthy.

The demo ends. It was a little short, but just enough to whet my appetite. The combat was incredibly fun and made Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy look primitive. The rep from LucasArts assured me that as you progressed, your already insane force powers would become even more powerful. I was pretty impressed. A great way to kick off the show.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:43 pm

What Platform did you play it on?? Nice review of the demo duder... I am looking forward to this one, but I really hope that the stupid Lucas Arts boys pull their collective fingers out of their collective asses and spread the multiplayer around to the other platforms, not just release it on the Wii... the worst of the next gen'ers.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:46 am

"The Force Unleashed" will be on 360, PS3, and in slightly different forms on PS2, Wii, PSP, and Nintendo DS.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Games