GRAND THEFT AUTO IV

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:28 pm

It is just so good.... battlefield BC should be just as good, if not better :D
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheAllSeeingEye on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:50 pm

I've gotten very bored with GTA4 now. I've got an analogy for it.

GTA4 is kinda like a hot babe who loves to screw your brains out. Seriously, it's fun for a while and you can't keep your hands off her but the sex gets a bit boring and your interest wanes when you realise that, outside of the bedroom, she's about as interesting as damp gravel and has the conversation skills of a chimp.

That's what GTA is to me now. Loved it at first and then got really, really bored.
TheAllSeeingEye
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:25 pm

I don't like how far I have to drive for the social shit, 1 hour of game time is not nearly enough.

I also don't like how far the mission areas are spread out (right after the bank heist) I'm glad I've just had it on gamefly and will be sending it back this weekend so I can get my MGS4 on.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Re: GRAND THEFT AUTO IV

Postby Nordling on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:58 am

magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:18 am

magicmonkey wrote:

That is indeed inspired. :lol:

That really did make me laugh today. Worked really well as well. I thought they would have ended up in a swimming pool.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:47 am

So it looks like it will be a while before I get to play this game. My brother in law was planning on getting an X Box for the sole reason that he really loved this game and I figured I'd borrow it from him when he was done, but then he turned around and decided to get a Playstation so I'll have to wait until this one gets plenty cheap on the used shelf before I pick it up, especially since I've got a new Soulcalibur game coming out next month and that takes priority.

I've read a number of reviews for this game and it sounds fun. I like the sound of the world and I know I'll have a great time exploring it and going on dates and bowling 'n stuff. It also sounds like there's a great story. However it also sounds like they've upped the realism to a point where it interferes with the fun because your player runs really slow and cars all flip over easy so honestly, I'd rather Crackdown 2 over a new GTA game. Crackdown understood fun, even though it was a lot more repetative than any given GTA game I had more fun playing it. But there is no Crackdown 2, so I'll get around to this GTA4 eventually, but I've got my expectations dialed way down.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:54 am

I thought that too Spandau, about not being able to enjoy GTA again after the freedom of crackdown, but they really are different enough to co exist together. I really havent missed the crackdown play mechanics, as what is in place in the GTA world is still more than enough to have as crazy an experience as you make it.
You have to obey the rules of physics a little more closely, but it leads to more edge of the seat gameplay, and you feel like you accomplish something if you manage to get away unscathed (or die spectacularly). Such as evading the police, slamming into oncoming traffic and flying through the windshield of the car. I cringed as Niko rolled along the deck painfully, and hoped he would stop so I could get up and away, however, a police car swerved to a halt, and I ended up dying by the car door being opened just as I was finally stopping rolling.

also, crazy stunting is available, check out this clip for someone who obviously has way too much time on their hands GTA4 Insane stunting volume 2
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re:

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:42 am

TheAllSeeingEye wrote:I've gotten very bored with GTA4 now. I've got an analogy for it.

GTA4 is kinda like a hot babe who loves to screw your brains out. Seriously, it's fun for a while and you can't keep your hands off her but the sex gets a bit boring and your interest wanes when you realise that, outside of the bedroom, she's about as interesting as damp gravel and has the conversation skills of a chimp.

That's what GTA is to me now. Loved it at first and then got really, really bored.

Dude, love the analogy. I've been using it a bit. It's very true, the damn thing is just not exciting me anymore. I know that it's great but it's just the same old thing. Strange how I've never really felt like this with a GTA game.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:31 am

I just beat the single player game this morning and I must say it didnt have much punch. The emotional connection to that was desired was not present in the ending i chose.

I chose the revenge option. If anyone did the deal option could you PM me the details of how that one goes down. I have a save right before the ending of the game starts but I dont feel like going through it right now. I may at some point later, but for now I am done with GTA.

MGS4 tommorow!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Never mind I just beat it with the second ending.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:11 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Never mind I just beat it with the second ending.

And I bet it wasn't worth it....hehe. Amazing this game got praised for the storyline. I don't know if you plan on playing further but the game does actually live on and will heavily reference the ending you choose.

That makes it worth it....kinda....right?

Has anyone compared this to a really hot babe that gets boring over time?

Yes?

Oh....alright. :oops:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:10 am

godzillasushi wrote:

And I bet it wasn't worth it....hehe. Amazing this game got praised for the storyline. I don't know if you plan on playing further but the game does actually live on and will heavily reference the ending you choose.

That was actually why I did both endings, but I probably wont be playing it for a long while.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:58 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:

That was actually why I did both endings, but I probably wont be playing it for a long while.

Both endings....

Really hot babe...

Oh that could be so rude if I could be bothered.... :twisted:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:03 pm

I prefer happy.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:51 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I prefer happy.

I forget. Which one was the happy one?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 am

Just unlocked the third island myself. Still at bloody 40% This game never ends...
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:46 pm

Okay, so I got this game used on Friday and played it a fair bit on the weekend.

I definately think it's better than San Andreas, and so far they've found a better way to integrate the sim elements better than San Andreas.

It's obvious they're going for something more along the lines of French Connection when I wanted something more like Transporter. The cars handle like real cars, the slide all over the place, they flip, the get stuck in sand. You can't run very fast and you can't really aim your shooter while running, like in real life. It's clear that they're going for more and more realism with this series, and they're doing a good job of accomplishing that, it's just not what I want most.

I really like the story this time. It doesn't feel rehashed from one or two movies. I also really like the lead character. I find I'm actually having more fun watching the story progress than any of the missions and definately more than any of the minigames.

Don't get me wrong, I like this game, but I'm definately a Crackdown man and would prefer a sequel to that than a new GTA game and this proves it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm upto

And enjoying the hell out of the game... I've only got the final few missions to do and then it is down to the pidgeons, jumps, and the final few vigilante missions.

I miss some of the things that have been there since GTAIII, fire truck and ambulance missions, but as the rewards wouldn't fit with the new 'realistic' view of the game world, I can see why they left them out. Fire-proofing wouldn't seem right! :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:03 pm

Besides weather and driving and story this game aint 'that' realistic. So they could have added the kill frenzies and stuff like that. Always fun.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:37 am

Seems the PC version is in development. Read for the following link for the amusing way in which it was discovered.

Rockstar Scammed!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:30 am

Awesome find there Monkey.

That's sheer genius. I love their tactics.

Woot! Pc Version on it's way. Wonderful, no doubt people which start to hack it.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:16 pm

GTAIV DLC Announced: "Lost And Damned", Out In Feb 09

A USA Today report is the setting for the announcement of Grand Theft Auto IV's long-awaited piece of downloadable content. Titled "Lost and Damned", the DLC will be available on February 17, and will leave Niko's story behind (though he will make a few cameo appearances) to follow the exploits of Johnny Klebitz, a member of the Lost biker gang that the game's radio channels liked to talk about so much. Rockstar's Dan Houser:

Johnny is a very different character than Niko, with a very different background. I can't go into too much detail on the story, because we try not to give away too much plot before the game is released. But I can say that the story will show you a different side of Liberty City.

The USA Today report also says the expansion will "let you download more sandbox time", Houser elaborating "We feel like we've only scratched the surface in terms of the depth and detail in [Liberty City]".

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:36 pm

could that DLC have taken any longer to bring to market?

I wonder how long until R* cracks and puts it on PSN?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 pm

Yeah it has took a while, but with the releases of the past few months I think the timings ok, if it had came out this month as originally planned it would not have got a look in by me due to fallout 3.
So many games in so short a time. Tis a good time to be a gamer.

As for making it to PSN, a sony exec recently said about the DLC that nothing is ever exclusive for ever, so maybe they will trade for MGS4? :wink:

The $50,000,000 dollars that msoft paid for the exclusive might have something to say about that tho, for the forseeable future. An obscene amount of money. Quite disgusting really.

In other news, its out on PC on 3rd of december. (Here in Norway anyway)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:08 pm

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:51 pm

hehehe... it's odd that the PS3 isn't getting this expansion yet, do we know if it'll come out on Sony's monster?

I've read, for those of you who are interested in getting this expansion, that you should really finish the main game first as Niko pop's up in this new chapter and there may be some bigish spoilers. FYI Ya'll....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:00 pm

MS paid 50 mill for it, so don't hold your breath.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:56 am

Im enjoying the DLC so far. Some nice gameplay changes, and new weapons. Grenade launcher is great fun, and the new shotgun is evil upclose.

Niko can be seen in the cutscene opening of the game, basically all of the bikers cruising the city, and at one point they get the finger from a pedestrian niko. Plus the storyline is running concurrent with the events in GTAIV, so as the story is progressing there are overlaps describing what has been going on. Particularly with Niko's run ins with the Lost gang members from early in the main games story line.

And im damn sure Bill Paxton is voicing Johnny, the character you play this time round. If its not him, it sounds pretty close.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:27 pm

I don't know if this is a joke or not, but I would totally play it. I hope it has a Godfather 2 style parade assassination in the G@y Pride Parade and loads of plotlines ripped off of Cruising.

http://www.destructoid.com/-the-ballad- ... 0991.phtml
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:34 am

I just wrapped up playing the Lost and The Damned DLC story mode, and very satisfying too.

Its a lot of fun just cruising on the choppers with your gang in tow, finding mischief to make. The story is pretty interesting, and makes some nice links with Nikos story (one of which was pretty harsh, and I felt awful doing it). I believe its been reduced in price now, and is well worth picking up.

I played it a while when I first downloaded it, but then I took a break and got into a few other games, and it was nice to step back into the GTA universe. Iron Maidens Run to the Hills playing while you are riding shotgun on a superbike blowing the shit out of countless police cars and helicopters was a particular highlight. :D

My timing for picking it back up was quite good too, as after I watched the new "ballad of Dumbledore Tony" trailer, where you are introduced to the playable character in that one (Dumbledore Tonys henchman), he popped up in a mission that seems to be the link between Nikos and Johnny the bikers story. I appreciated that the characters werent just added after the fact, and its quite interesting to play as different characters in the same mission, but from different viewpoints. Im looking forward to seeing how the same mission plays when taking control of this next guy. Its a cool bit of concurrent storytelling.

As for the Dumbledore Tony DLC it looks awesome, and closer in spirit to the Vice City game, with some crazy over the top action with a more overtly humourous vibe than the other stories. Stealing a train with a helicopter would make Michael Bay proud.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Previous

Return to Games