Manhunt 2: I SPIT ON YOUR GAME!

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:11 am

BUMP!

I recently, what's the term? came into possession? that'll have to do.

I recently came into possession of this, the PS2 version.
I guess that makes it...

Review time.

I don't think I've ever posted a review in the zone before, so feel free to criticize & tell me not to write another one ever again.

When the game boots up you see which divisions of Rockstar made this game, the majority of them being UK based.
The ban has gotta be a pretty big blow to the guys who coded & designed it.

Two levels of difficulty are on offer SANE and INSANE, i chose sane.

The opening cut scene sets the game up, they really wanted to call this "HORROR MOVIE: THE GAME".
Shakey-cam is in full effect, CCTV makes a few awkward appearances & it can be difficult at times to see what the hell is going on.

The first goal is to escape from the asylum the lead character was sent to.
Cue prison breakout-like scene you've seen 100 times before. But its a game, so you control it, so it lasts a lot longer than it should.
Death by syringe is what's on the menu for most of the asylum inhabitants you encounter. A pen is also on offer, should you lack the syringe.

You have to run around & press circle to activate a bunch of switches that open doors & start the elevator, it's not tough, but you have to stay in the shadows to avoid being spotted by staff & patients or they will try to kill you.

The fighting system appears to be recycled from GTA: SAN ANDREAS, you lock on & press the attack buttons to punch/stab. The character you are fighting will have a kinda hud like thing around them like they do in the GTA games, changing color from green to red depending on their health.

The first few save points are close together, but you'll need to use them often because your health disappears pretty quickly & the health pickups seem to be placed as far away from you as possible.

What the fuck am i doing? I'm supposed to be writing a review this, not a walkthru.

Alright, the characters are pretty one dimensional.
The locations - horror movie standards.

Now here's where all that media shit-storm comes in, the kills.
Killing lacks the cunning & precision of games like HITMANor the fun of the MORTAL KOMBAT series.
In short, it becomes boring very fast.
Environmental attacks are on offer, a nice concept, something games like SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2006/2007 and the more recent MORTAL KOMBAT games have tried out. You can also jump from heights onto a character you've locked onto.

The plot lacks the feeling of suspense or fear found in games like RESIDENT EVIL, NIGHTMARE CREATURES & SILENT HILL. As i said above, its the same tired shit that's played out in hundreds of horror movies in the past.

The graphics make the game look like it came out 4 years ago. The extra graininess they must have threw in to cover up the fact that PS2 launch titles were visually equal to this. They add nothing to the already tired feel of the game.

Sound is where this game picks up, there's a lot going on in the background, i suggest hooking the PS2 up to a 5.1 system to enjoy it. It's one of the best parts of the game. The sound tries so hard to draw you into the game & make you feel like this shit is happening to you. But as the sound draws you in, the visuals pull you back out.

If you're into this kind of game, it's fun in short bursts. Playing for hours & hours at a time kills the enjoyment.

6/10
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:22 am

News in today.

IGN.com wrote:Manhunt 2 Wins UK Appeal
Video Appeals Committee overturns BBFC ruling on Rockstar's controversial horror sequel.
by Matt Wales, IGN UK
UK, December 10, 2007 - Following the British Board of Film Classification's rejection of Rockstar's controversial horror sequel Manhunt 2, the Video Appeals Committee has ruled in favour of the publisher's right to release the game in the UK, with a majority vote of four to three.

Previously, the BBFC had rejected both uncut and reworked submissions of the game for certification, effectively banning the game from sale in this country. Speaking to IGN, a Rockstar spokesperson was unable to confirm which version we can expect to see in stores if and when the title finally receives its long-awaited UK release. However, despite Rockstar's successful appeal, it's still possible the BBFC may decide to appeal the VAC's verdict, although the organization intends to review the full report before taking any further action.

Following news of the victory, Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick commented, "We are committed to making great interactive entertainment, while also marketing our products responsibly and supporting an effective rating system. We are pleased that the decision of the VAC has recognised that Manhunt 2 is well within the bounds established by other 18+ rated entertainment".

Meanwhile, David Cooke, director of the BBFC noted, "The BBFC twice rejected Manhunt 2 for its focus on varied and cumulative killings. We recognise that rejection is a very serious step, in which the desire of publishers to market their games, and that of gamers to buy them, must be balanced against the public interest, including the full range of possible harm risks to vulnerable individuals and to any children who may be wrongly exposed to such games. Such balancing judgements are inevitably complex and multi-faceted, and are made only after very careful consideration of the contents of a work. We played Manhunt 2 for well over 30 hours prior to our decision.

"The Board recognises that the available research findings on the effects of video games (including positive as well as harmful effects) are varied and contested. But we continue to believe that a broad approach to the possible risks is needed, which goes beyond purely behavioural harm, and which also takes account of other possible effects on the sensibilities and attitudes of individuals."

Cooke also revealed, "The BBFC will carefully study the judgement by the Video Appeals Committee when it becomes available."

I want this for Xmas.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:16 am

Sweet - are they allowing the Wii version to go ahead? Will we be getting the original cut, or the softer cut which they made for the first appeal? I need answers!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:19 am

Gvie it a year and wi'll (geddit?) have the Directors cut or some 'never before seen' bollocks like that so you end up buying the game twice.

I hope there's just a cheat code to unlock the excessive violence.

papalazeru

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:26 am

Me too!

I demand simulated stump-sex
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:34 am

Enter name on high score table. "C.Manson" to unlock.

Heheh!

papalazeru

Re: Manhunt 2: I SPIT ON YOUR GAME!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:34 pm

This actually came out in the UK on Halloween.
23 days it's been on sale.
I don't think anyone's noticed yet.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Previous

Return to Games