Prototype

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Prototype

Postby Fawst on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:37 am

This game looks... just sick. I haven't found (or done a lot of searching for) this game online, I just read a very long preview in the newest issue of GameInformer.

Prototype is, to me, what nextgen gaming should be. The concept is that you wake up on an operating table not knowing who you are. You exit the building you are in to find yourself in NYC during a major crisis. There is a war going on between the military and a genetic mutation, the cause of which is unknown, but apparently is man-made. You're the third side in the war. You can absorb the matter of people that you kill and use it to modify your body and abilities.

The game is largely context sensitive without needing a button for every activity. In one example of a demo they were shown, the main character (I believe his name is Alex. We'll go with that.) jumps down from a building to street level, runs towards a taxi, and without any input from the player other than moving towards it, jumps over the hood. He then kills a pedestrian and absorbs their matter. Pressing the d-pad activates these crazy looking muscled arms with large claws (think of the last boss in Resident Evil). He then cuts another person in half and absorbs them. Another d-pad press covers his body in scale-like armor. At this point, a squad of soldiers comes across the scene and starts firing. Alex rushes back towards the soldiers, beyond the taxi. Instead of jumping over it, this time he crashes right through it.

The gameplay changes based on the circumstances at hand. Structural damage to the city will remain long after it happens. They have implemented a day/night cycle that has (I believe) three weeks worth of subtle light and weather changes, so that the game will always look realistically different. Aside from just getting crazy mutant powers when you kill someone, you also gain the ability to morph into them, as well as gain their knowledge. Want to pilot an F-22 Raptor? Ok, go kill the pilot. Now you know how. Need to sneak into a fortified military area? Kill a squad commander and take on his appearance. They'll let you walk right in.

The story advances through information "nodes" throughout the game. These can be accessed in a variety of ways: killing and absorbing people's memories, flashbacks, character interaction, etc. According to the developer, there are 250 or more of these info nodes that fill in the game's backstory. This leads me to the multiplayer. Apparently, not all of the info nodes will be accessable by a single player. There will be info nodes (and player achievements) that can only be obtained by playing co-op mode. One of their main goals is to create a game that truly is played differently by everyone. While you may uncover one piece of the mystery through your playing, someone else may uncover a completely different story. By pieceing the two together, you will get a better understanding of it all. If I'm not mistaken, they are going for a "jump in and play at any time" approach, so instead of exiting the game and joining a multi-player game, a friend can hop into your game while you play.

Beyond all that, the graphics are simply amazing. Finally, a game that combines the graphics of nextgen hardware with nextgen gameplay.

So go forth and find this game online, then report back! Oh, I know it's coming for the 360, not sure if the PS3 is getting it.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:08 am

Your description just made me want this jump into my must watch list.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:40 am

IGN has it listed for both 360 and PS3.
Sounds extremely cool!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:26 pm

An article is up on IGN
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:50 am

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:09 pm

You always find this stuff while I'm at work... or rather, I READ it while I'm at work :)

How does it look in motion? The latest screens I've seen make it look on par with (better than, really) GTAIV. I couldn't believe how many pedestrians I saw milling around in one shot. And it was a HIGH angle shot, with Alex (still unclear on that name) on the corner of a building's rooftop.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:12 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Trailer

Hmm, lets count the rip offs as the trailer progresses:

Bourne Identity (dont know who I am but I'm a killing machine)

Wolverine/X-Men (blades out of hands/arms)

the Matrix (surrounded by guys who can't shoot straight, followed by bullet time/slow-mo killing)

Hulk (smashes ground in front of him/destroyes enemy far away)

Terminator 2 (kills general, assumes his identity)

Maybe the game mechanics are brilliant, but the story is shit...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fawst on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:15 pm

Killjoy.

You go find me something, ANYTHING, that is 100% original these days, and ... nevermind, you can't.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:17 pm

so sorry wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Trailer

Hmm, lets count the rip offs as the trailer progresses:

the Matrix (surrounded by guys who can't shoot straight, followed by bullet time/slow-mo killing)

Maybe the game mechanics are brilliant, but the story is shit...

Still looked fun though :)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:19 pm

Sorry about that!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:22 pm

so sorry wrote:Image

Sorry about that!

It's also a little invasion of the body snatchers. With him taking the form of the guy at the end or taking over his conciousness?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Watched the trailer yesterday.
Looks like a lot of fun!

Sure, the story can be linked to many sources (I'd credit the arm blades more to T2 than Xmen), but it's many different sources combined! I dig that. Throw in some little dudes with pointy ears and you have a goldmine.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fawst on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:40 pm

Just because I can...

Counterpoint: Not the first or the last to use this theme. Besides, identity in a game is a tricky subject. Playing as another character who has no background is a good way to immerse the player. Can't fault them here.

Counterpoint: more of a Resident Evil ripoff, due to the entirety of the character's arm going all mutant. Again, not the first or the last time this will be used.

Counterpoint: GI Fucking Joe. With slow-mo. Bullet Time is here to stay, that should be obvious by now. Besides, it makes for a GREAT gameplay mechanic.

Counterpoint: Jeckell & Hyde. Beside, the Hulk didn't cause massive spikes to extend from the ground and impale people.

Counterpoint: T2 is a sequel to a semi-ripoff anyways. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. Skynet is basically just AM.

Regardless, it WILL be fun :D
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:46 pm

Fawst wrote:Just because I can...

Counterpoint: Not the first or the last to use this theme. Besides, identity in a game is a tricky subject. Playing as another character who has no background is a good way to immerse the player. Can't fault them here.

Counterpoint: more of a Resident Evil ripoff, due to the entirety of the character's arm going all mutant. Again, not the first or the last time this will be used.

Counterpoint: GI Fucking Joe. With slow-mo. Bullet Time is here to stay, that should be obvious by now. Besides, it makes for a GREAT gameplay mechanic.

Counterpoint: Jeckell & Hyde. Beside, the Hulk didn't cause massive spikes to extend from the ground and impale people.

Counterpoint: T2 is a sequel to a semi-ripoff anyways. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. Skynet is basically just AM.

Regardless, it WILL be fun :D

killjoy :wink:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fawst on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:54 pm

lol :)
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Prototype

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:05 pm

Bump!

It came out this week & i've heard good things.
They probably shouldn't have released it this close to inFAMOUS, but i guess they're hoping it sells like fuck on the 360 to make up for it (inFAMOUS was a ps3 exclusive).
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:57 pm

I've seen reviews of this ranging from the implausible 98% (No game has ever been that good), to the paltry 50%.

It's a mixed bag. I'll wait to see what edge says in their reivews before I have a look any further. But, I also know lots of games that score high and are just rehashes, and poorly constructed ones too.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby linoaqui on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:20 am

IGN has it listed for both 360 and PS3.
Sounds acutely cool!!

Your description just fabricated me wish this jump into my have to watch list.thanks,,

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 am

papalazeru wrote:I've seen reviews of this ranging from the implausible 98% (No game has ever been that good), to the paltry 50%.

It's a mixed bag. I'll wait to see what edge says in their reivews before I have a look any further. But, I also know lots of games that score high and are just rehashes, and poorly constructed ones too.

On that note, apparently a particular game review website in the US was actually hosting some massive campaign for Infamous and was influenced to give Prototype a worse review to push PS3 users over to the other, similar style game. Looking around, it seems that it may be true. Look at the difference in reviews from the same websites, but based in different countries (It's a little hard to view the IGN US review when it keeps switching me to the better AU review, but I think that if you're in the UK you should see it as well due to you guys not having a review posted).

Personally I'm enjoying it, but find it easy not to care about the game. I haven't picked it up in days. On the other hand, Red Faction keeps me thinking about it and how I can f#$k shit up in all kind of ways.

The way that I describe Prototype is a virus ridden mixed bag. It's pretty dark and extremely vengeful, with no man woman or helicopter holding any real alliances. You have your sister that you hang out with but it really feels like your only using her to find out more about who to slap around next. Anyway, the idea behind it is that for some reason or another you, Alex Mercer, have been infected with a super virus infecting the city and giving you crazy fun powers to launch hellish revenge on almost anyone you come across. There's the usual cashed up megacorp, associated military faction and viral super mutants that you make and break alliances depending on the sub-game and mood you're in. There are no morality choices here, you're out to kill as many people as you can and in some pretty cool ass ways. You run, glide and massacre your way around a sandbox New York city hunting out missions, collectables and "Web of Intrigue" characters. Web of Intrigue I hear you say? Well the basic deal is that alongside the main game there are characters within the sandbox for you to find. They have info on your amnesia hidden past and instead of asking them what they know you absorb them into your body and collect they're memories.Some of the cut scenes are really nicely polished and look fantastic in HD, but this just drew a bleaker picture of the actual in game stuff. Up close and personal everything looks great. There's heaps of gore, and some really nice splatter but the city itself seems a little unpolished. There's also some engine issues with slow drawtimes, miss timed and strange explosions and a google maps 3D building style the overall feel is a little flat and uninteresting. The sprites animations look great but the camera doesn't really know what to do and keeps pulling the Michael Bay zoom on you. (Michael Bay Zoom: Filling to much of the frame with action so that you don't quite comprehend everything that's going on, and it's direction, in the scene) The controls are touchy, and there are A LOT of buttons weapons and moves but you'll find what you like and stick too it pretty quickly I mean you end up just mashing in the big fights anyway...

My conclusion; a good game but not great yet, I am still playing but I don't really see anything coming that I'll be wow'ed by. The dull city is made up by the entertaining sprites and animation. 7.75/10
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Games