Greatest Coin-Op??

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby Fawst on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:11 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
doglips wrote:Anyone remember Darkstalkers? that was a great Capcom fighter too, loved that Yeti.

Yeah, I remember that. They made it into a cartoon as well.

Known as Vampire Killer (Darkstalkers) and Vampire Saviour (Darkstalkers 2) in Japan, if I remember correctly...
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:32 pm

That had Felicia the cat chick in it right? I might have the wrong game, but as a teenager I never forgot her picture in one of my old game mags.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:41 pm

Yup, that's Darkstalkers all right, with the cat chick!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:39 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Oh shoot! Crazy Taxi is an awesome game!!! The second was alright and the third was decent, but nothing can ever touch the first one.

Good pick.

I spent many a dollar on Crazy Taxi. I love that game.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:54 pm

MACH 3 (sit down version)
Punch-Out (pre-Tyson)
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Greatest Coin-Op??

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:02 pm

I'm going to have to go into the camp of MARVEL vs. CAPCOM... Hell, any figthing game capcom put out was money worthy.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:31 pm

If it had a light gun, it was awesome. For a kid, at least.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:05 am

Wolfpack wrote:If it had a light gun, it was awesome. For a kid, at least.

That reminds me,

Area 51.

That thing is STILL everywhere.

And T2 Judgement Day.

If you pressed start without having credits, Ahhnuld said "No way, Jose"
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:58 am

That D&D game was awesome!

I always played the Cleric cause he had those bitchen maces.

Fuck I love this thread...

How's about the Samurai Showdown series. While not the most famous fighting series, the complexity it brought to 2D fighters was unheard of and the ammount of secrets were unbeliveable at the time.\

I also had an ability to remember how to do all of them when I played. Which is saying alot from the guy who could never do the Akuma special.

Stuff like turning your character into a doll, turning hanzo invisible, one hit kills, suicides, ect.

Plus they had one of the best large sprite characters ever in Earthquake, and Shin Gen An was somehow bangin Mai from Fatal Fury.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:14 am

I remember Chase H.Q, the stupid gearstick, the sweaty just one red health bar left and all out of turbos... must ... ram... him... can... I ... catch... up... (2 secs)... in... (1 sec)... time... (0 sec).. SHIT!!!!!!!!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Re: Greatest Coin-Op??

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:22 am

bastard_robo wrote:I'm going to have to go into the camp of MARVEL vs. CAPCOM... Hell, any figthing game capcom put out was money worthy.

I gotta tell you, I really like the MVC games. And I do enjoy SVC Chaos. But I will forever be a hater of Capcom vs. SNK 2. I had it for me Dreamcast and it just drove me nuts at the quality of the characters, but lack of anything else. The levels were so absolutely boring. Especially when compared to the MVC's. It was also kind of funny because the Capcom characters felt so much stronger. They just have these crazy moves. SNK has always been kind of lame to me. Although King of Fighters 02-03 wasn't too bad.

Anyone here ever play Guilty Gear? I have X2 on my Xbox and that series is pretty much amazing. It's the craziest, wierdest, and deepest fighting game to come along in a long long time.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:41 am

Oh man, the SNK vs Capcom series... such a great concept, such a failed idea.

The SNK fighting games were all much slower and more deliberate than Capcom's. Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury and Samurai Showdown were all very... slow. Not SF2 slow, mind you, just ... like I said, deliberate. Capcom had much more fluid and speedy games.

Putting the two together, it was almost unfair. What I DID like was the crossover artwork they did, where the SNK guys were drawn by Capcom's artists, and vice versa. That was sweet.

A little bit of a twist on the subject here, but did anyone ever notice how some of the NES versions of some arcade games were actually BETTER?

Castlevania
Bionic Commando
Rygar

Those three are the best examples, even though Rygar isn't a GREAT game to begin with. But they all added that extra "something" that the arcade version lacked.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:55 am

Bionic Commando? Is taht the game where your guy had a bionic arm that extended and allowed him to swing, grab things, get across large spans? All the while shooting and blowing up a never ending stream of badguys?
If so, I had that on NES and that game farking ruled!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Maui on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:02 am

Turbo Out Run. This was truly a fun game to play at the pub.

The chair moved as you drove the race car, it was a blast. I actually was the top scorer at this one pub I frequented. The arcade dude that serviced the machines even gave me a Turbo Out Run tshirt. :mrgreen:

Fun times indeed. I think out of all the arcade games that are out there - car racing games are by far the most fun! You can also play the racing ones that have 5 of you racing against each other in the pub. hahah

Anyone else play or remember Turbo Out run?
Maui
WoWie

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:14 am

Rolling Thunder. Simplest gameplay ever, I completely sucked at it but I would constantly feed my 10p's into that sucker.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:31 am

Maui wrote:Turbo Out Run. This was truly a fun game to play at the pub.

The chair moved as you drove the race car, it was a blast. I actually was the top scorer at this one pub I frequented. The arcade dude that serviced the machines even gave me a Turbo Out Run tshirt. :mrgreen:

Fun times indeed. I think out of all the arcade games that are out there - car racing games are by far the most fun! You can also play the racing ones that have 5 of you racing against each other in the pub. hahah

Anyone else play or remember Turbo Out run?

Haha yes!

See I knew this thread would get away from me because as many games as I play, I would forget a lot of them.

I have Outrun2 and Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast. If you haven't played those you should. They are very faithful to the original arcade ones. Plus they include the original Outrun.

There was also a futuristic Outrun but I forgot the title. Outrun 2049 or something. Anyway, those games had some great music! I made a mix CD of music from those games. I found this site a while back that had all the tracks available with higher quality. And much of the music had been redone to a very high quality. I should find that site and post it in here later tonight.

Anyway, another good one.

Mmmm thought of another one. I am kind of going through my head remembering all the Dreamcast games I have. They ported a lot of arcade stuff to that. Anyway, Silent Scope!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:35 am

Vegeta wrote:Bionic Commando? Is taht the game where your guy had a bionic arm that extended and allowed him to swing, grab things, get across large spans? All the while shooting and blowing up a never ending stream of badguys?

BEST. GAME. EVAR. on the NES. I challenge anyone to come up with a better game. I have shot down every attempt at the crown, and I have justified every single reason with something solid. The only game I have ever had to flat out admit was worthy of a tie (but I still have my preference) was Metal Gear.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:36 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:Rolling Thunder. Simplest gameplay ever, I completely sucked at it but I would constantly feed my 10p's into that sucker.

Oh man do I hate that game. lol
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:04 am

Fawst wrote:
Vegeta wrote:Bionic Commando? Is taht the game where your guy had a bionic arm that extended and allowed him to swing, grab things, get across large spans? All the while shooting and blowing up a never ending stream of badguys?

BEST. GAME. EVAR. on the NES. I challenge anyone to come up with a better game. I have shot down every attempt at the crown, and I have justified every single reason with something solid. The only game I have ever had to flat out admit was worthy of a tie (but I still have my preference) was Metal Gear.

Um, Battletoads? That is my favourite NES game, also Contra is pretty rad. Bionic commando was great, I played it on the Amiga and the arcade. But Battletoads, man, how can you justify that below Bionic Commando?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:05 am

magicmonkey wrote:
Fawst wrote:
V egeta wrote:Bionic Commando? Is taht the game where your guy had a bionic arm that extended and allowed him to swing, grab things, get across large spans? All the while shooting and blowing up a never ending stream of badguys?

Um, Battletoads? That is my favourite NES game, also Contra is pretty rad. Bionic commando was great, I played it on the Amiga and the arcade. But Battletoads, man, how can you justify that below Bionic Commando?

I have you both beat, easily. Gunsmoke!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:28 am

Battletoads WAS a great game, I'll give you that. However, the controls were way too "floaty," and it suffered horribly from a case of "you cannot beat this on skill alone, 90% of it is luck" for two levels. Bionic Commando wasn't exactly HARD, but it wasn't easy. It WAS, however, fair.

And Battletoads didn't have Zombie Hitler swearing at you, nor did it have his head exploding when you beat the game.

EDIT: Gun(dot)Smoke ruled :) That's easily a top 10 NES game, and honestly has never been brought up to me against BC. Hmm. I'll have to fire up NESticle when I get home and compare...
Last edited by Fawst on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:28 am

I kicked ass at Rolling Thunder, you guys are just weaksauce.

I remember that one Atari racing game with the cannons and lasers. And there were the bulletproof purple 'cuda looking cars every now and then you had to ram off the road.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fawst on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:30 am

Road Blasters?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:32 am

yes!
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:32 am

Fawst wrote:Road Blasters?

Road Blasters it is
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:37 am

HUZZAH! Jesus, I know having supermegaultra consoles is cool and all, but it totally killed the thrill of great arcade experiences.

At least here in the states.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fawst on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:56 am

What's that cockpit shooter that you can play in loading screens of Tekken 4? Or 5? I forget which game... it had vector-based graphics and was actually quite fun. The arcade version of that had a MASSIVE sit down version very much like After Burner 2.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:22 pm

Sigh. Coin Ops are mostly a thing of the past now. What we have now is our Xbox 360 and memories of pumping coins into little slots and standing up for long periods of time to play our games.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:31 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Sigh. Coin Ops are mostly a thing of the past now. What we have now is our Xbox 360 and memories of pumping coins into little slots and standing up for long periods of time to play our games.

Well, arcades were just not financially smart when a 50 dollar game could give you infinite amounts of fun. I picked up Smashing Drive for my Xbox for about 5 bucks used and that makes a heck of a lot more sense then going and sitting in a dirty little machine playing a game for 50 cents a race while contracting a disease from the physical racing wheel. Fighting and racing games are what I miss in the arcades but now that racing games have done the online lobby system so well, only fighting games are missing what they used to have in the arcades. Lag sucks. Anyway, my 360 is replacing a lot of things. I don't even use my PC anymore. My original Xbox collects dust with backwards compatibility. And the arcades are useless. I don't even own a DVD player because of it. It does everything! :oops:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:39 pm

Galaga...best game ever.

/40 in the bonus round, Winslows!
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:07 am

I've surprised Havoc hasn't mentioned Splatterhouse yet.

bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:29 pm

wow, I got to play some pretty awesome coin ops this weekend.

the new afterburner... jesus this thing is friggin awesome and the movement is insane now. even with a fatass like me it whipped around no problem.

then there's the new outrun with hand off driving. you play double credits and everytime you hit something or take a fork in the road is passes off control of your car to your "passenger"

thanks Gameworks for making me not give up on pay for play video games.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Gameworks... went to one a couple of years ago. What an amazing couple of hours that was. They had some sort of SWAT game where you held a rifle in your hand and shot at things on the screen. Too much fun.

Here's one I haven't seen on this thread (probably missed it)....

The American Bar staple (any other countries get into this game?):

Golden Tee
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby instant_karma on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:50 pm

King Psyz wrote:I kicked ass at Rolling Thunder, you guys are just weaksauce.

I remember that one Atari racing game with the cannons and lasers. And there were the bulletproof purple 'cuda looking cars every now and then you had to ram off the road.

I was pretty kick ass at Rolling Thunder too.

I've played all of the ones that Moo posted at the start. Feel kinda old now.

I have fond memories of wasting money on-

Golden Axe
Double Dragon
Afterburner
Out Run
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Splatterhouse
Operation Wolf
Robocop
Narc
Klax
Return of the Jedi
Chase HQ
Strider
Toobin'
Pang
Shinobi
Super Sprint
Smash TV
Final Fight
Ghouls and Ghosts
Bubble Bobble
Rainbow Islands
Aliens
Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja (Best. Name. Evar!)

As for my all time favourite, it's a 3 way tie between New Zealand Story, Space Harrier and the original Soul Calibur (or Soul Edge as it was called over here in the UK).

I also sank a lot of coins into the Star Wars and Adams Family pinball tables.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby King Psyz on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:15 am

Fievel wrote:Gameworks... went to one a couple of years ago. What an amazing couple of hours that was. They had some sort of SWAT game where you held a rifle in your hand and shot at things on the screen. Too much fun.

Here's one I haven't seen on this thread (probably missed it)....

The American Bar staple (any other countries get into this game?):

Golden Tee

oh jesus, don't get me started on the golden tee nerds. the same kinda meatheads that would beat up gamers in highschool all trying to see how close they can come to breaking a 1/2" sheet of glass while trying to make a 400 yard drive.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby WalterBunny on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:16 am

Tempest was my favourite, followed by Star Wars (of course; blowing up wire-framed Death Stars was fun!). And then there's Chiller, which I think ate up the most of my money.

Until they took that machine out of the arcade.

Bastards.
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:25 am

WalterBunny wrote:Image

Tempest was my favourite, followed by Star Wars (of course; blowing up wire-framed Death Stars was fun!). And then there's Chiller, which I think ate up the most of my money.

Until they took that machine out of the arcade.

Bastards.

Holy shit! Somebody needs to make an online version of CHILLER, stat! That looks fucked up. I wanna play.

(NSFW)

RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby WalterBunny on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:37 am

RaulMonkey wrote:Holy shit! Somebody needs to make an online version of CHILLER, stat! That looks fucked up. I wanna play.

Yeah, it was all sorts of fun to play. Especially if you're skipping school because you drank too much during lunch, and you don't want to go back and run a printing press.

Look at that picture. There's the only press I wanted to operate!

But only in a video game. Not in real life. That would be eww.
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:40 am

Did it just get boring and gross after a while? Or was there some real ingenuity involved?
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby King Psyz on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:44 am

hello wiimote
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby WalterBunny on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:00 am

RaulMonkey wrote:Did it just get boring and gross after a while? Or was there some real ingenuity involved?

It got very boring after a while. Mostly because it was so hard to get to the right score before the timer was gone to make it to the next level.

But I think that's because the aim on the light gun was off. So I'll blame the particular machine that I played. Coz lord knows it couldn't be my lack of skills...
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Greatest Coin-Op??

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:24 am

The coin op I loved was the X-men one from the Early 90's.

It had all the charecter designs from the Pilot cartoon that never got off the ground (with Aussi wolverine)

The game was a fucking blast!

You could play Cyclops, Wolvie, NightCralwer, Colossus, Dazzler or Storm and you fought a shitload of sentinels and other villans, and played like final fight!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby WalterBunny on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:34 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Holy shit! Somebody needs to make an online version of CHILLER, stat! That looks fucked up. I wanna play.

Here's something I just found. I-Mockery just did a fantastic review of Chiller. Including animated GIFs of some of the images from the game. And some video, too.

Oh, and just for your amusement, they've also made Chiller downloadable. So go have fun, Raul.
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Heh, thanks, dude. I'm new to the world of emulators, so I'll have to spend a little time figuring that stuff out.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:20 am

First there was this:

Then of course:

Joust
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr
WWF Wrestlefest
Space Invaders(yes I AM that old)
Galaga
Zaxxon

There was also another early pro wrestling game I played(not tag team wrestling), where you were pitted against a Road Warrior Animal clone, but I totally forgot the name. Fun to play, very good graphics for its time(mid 80s).

So many quarters and time wasted, and I'd do it all over again.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby WalterBunny on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:10 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Heh, thanks, dude. I'm new to the world of emulators, so I'll have to spend a little time figuring that stuff out.

Emulators are way beyond anything I could figure out. If it involves more than putting a cartridge/DVD in the game console, forget it.
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby buster00 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:17 pm

SilentBobX wrote:
There was also another early pro wrestling game I played(not tag team wrestling), where you were pitted against a Road Warrior Animal clone, but I totally forgot the name. Fun to play, very good graphics for its time(mid 80s).

Mat Mania, or as it was known in Japan, Exciting Hour.

Exciting Hour. That kills me.

There was a version with a 2-player head-to-head feature called Mania Challenge. That was more fun.

Oh, and I totally want one of those KISS pinball machines. Always have.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:56 pm

Buster, thanks. I loved that game. I always hoped that someday I could play it again via a console or PC, but alas, I'm clueless as to if that's possible.

Again, many thanks, many great memories........

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:42 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
The Todd wrote:
Zarles wrote:What was the game that was the first one to use real animated scenes in it, not just electronic blips? You were a knight fighting a dragon...?

Dragon's Lair

Yeah Bwoay!!!

I see your Dragon's Lair and raise you...

SPACE ACE!! (Please click the link and not ignore it like you do all the others!!)

MY FAVOURite coi op game EVER!! Really mean that now. To actually play something that felt not like I was playing a cartoon - but that I WAS a cartoon, or at least in it.

I've loads to tell you on this but I'll try to do it later. I'll just sat that I do still GENUINELY love this game. Not a lot of things like this or even a film will make my heart actually beat so strong and fondly for this.

"Help Dexter/Space Ace regain his manhood!"

Funny, lately I've been needing to do this a lot! Damn people trying to mush me up and make me ghey!!!!

So like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace will soon be available on Bluray for your home playing pleasure!!

Grande Rojo's latest DVD column pimps Space Ace, but Amazon has both...

Thing is though, people seem to have their reservations according to the Amazon reviews. Some complain of a horribly buggy playing experience.

Maybe PC is the way to go on these titles?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:46 am

There's no love for G-loc on here.

It was the first 360 degree cabinet which mean you could zip around in all directions.

It was shit but it was cool to see such a game in a cabinet like that.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

PreviousNext

Return to Games