Street Fighter 4 (Hadouken up your ass!)

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:26 pm

This came out of E for All

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MZP3WYiOncI

JESUS GOD YES!

If theres one game... One game that rules above all! Its STREET FIGHTER!

I cannot wait for this!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:30 pm

Really nice looking video. Some very special FX in there but it's all just the FMV... I wanna see gameplay.

It'll be hard to make it new and interesting. Fighting games like SF aren't going too well these days against games like GOW, Quake etc.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:44 pm

I'm guessing the game graphics will still be cel-shaded-style but be kinda 3D and kinda 2D....if that makes sense...Jet Set Radio-ish.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:28 am

I hope it still uses the 2d perspective. Like super smash brothers. Kinda hate 3d fighting games.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:24 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:Really nice looking video. Some very special FX in there but it's all just the FMV... I wanna see gameplay.

It'll be hard to make it new and interesting. Fighting games like SF aren't going too well these days against games like GOW, Quake etc.

Like Platform/FPS are new and interesting? 99% of FPS and 3rdPS are just reshaing each other.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:11 am

Yeah, that's true but they are 'in' and 2d fighting games are not (well not the next gen systems anyway). Anyway, it's easier to make a FPS or a Platformer more interesting and innovative then a fighting game IMHO.

I think that we can all put money on the fact that it'll be a 3d game with all the swishy camera moves and bullet time specials.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Jahbulon on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:53 am

I say the only way to up the ante on Street Fighter (beyond a few bells and whistles like kickable elephants), is to have an RPG/Story mode, whereby you unearth corruption in the competition, Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon style. Yep, this will require using the up and down button as well, instead of just the left and right, but things change.
Jahbulon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fawst on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:49 am

Some friends and I wrote up a design doc a few years back for an idea that was a little bit Dragonball, a little bit Shenmue and a little bit Final Fantasy. It would have been like that idea you just mentioned. RPG fighter.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Street Fighter 4 (Hadouken up your ass!)

Postby junesquad on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:07 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
If theres one game... One game that rules above all! Its STREET FIGHTER!

I cannot wait for this!

If there's one game that would make me wanna buy a new system and take up gaming again... it's Street Fighter.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:26 pm

I would be impressed if they could pull off animated sprites in HD...

If they went cell-shaded I might be a little dissapointed. It wouldn't fit the series style. That new Simpsons game lends itself perfectly to that art style. SF doesn't.

3-D models would also be bad. And a complete move to 3-D like Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur would be a mistake.

I think they need to stick to the history of the series. You can gives the series new life without sacrificing what makes it special. Maybe a little Guilty Gear action so it feels fresh and modern. Since its art would be important, they might not want to do radical things. It might even be stronger to try and make animated backgrounds! MVC2 had the 3-D backgrounds and that was a fit. But if they took a risk with this and animated everything, sure would be cool to see.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:24 pm

Actually, I think if they could go with the VF level of character art and animation but with SF play mechanics then 3-D is just fine with me.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:38 pm

I think I might have posted this elsewhere, but this is definitely the room for it: The Greatest Street Fighter Match in History. If you understand the crowd's roar at the end, you my friend are a Street Fighter geek. (There's a second video of the final moments HERE, with footage of the crowd's reaction.)
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby King Psyz on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:08 pm

makes the days of the guile handcuffs seem so far away eh?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby junesquad on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:44 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I think I might have posted this elsewhere, but this is definitely the room for it: The Greatest Street Fighter Match in History. If you understand the crowd's roar at the end, you my friend are a Street Fighter geek. (There's a second video of the final moments HERE, with footage of the crowd's reaction.)

That was freakin' amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:38 pm

The official website:

http://www.streetfighter.com/flash/index.php

There's lots of footage of the game and artwork and even some animes. The footage from the game is kinda baffling. Does anybody else think that different fights look like a totally different game? Some look cell shaded, others not, and the filter and stuff just give all the different fights different looks. I mean, that would be pretty cool if depending on where you fight it takes on a different look like it's comic booky one place and claymation another and anime somewhere else.

I'll probably get this because I love fighting games and this one definately has that classic arcade look with lots bells and whistles of stuff like KO! appearing in big flashing letters and the screen flashing different colours when a dude lands a killer blow and those old Looney Tunes style stars and POW! things appearing at points of impact.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:34 am

That website is truly mesmerising. Fantastic to watch. Possibly the best website in the world.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:49 pm

I've also read that they will bring back the bonus round of 'Smash a Car'. I don't know if the barrels will come back.

I always liked the car smash. Why shouldn't a car get the beats? They're the ones who pollute, not us.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:53 pm

Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Megaman 9, Street Fighter 4 & Street Fighter II' HD Remix.
Looks like capcom hasn't given up on it's older franchises after all.

I'm still not holding my breath for an HD version of Darkstalkers though.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Out before the end of winter!
In a statement to G4, Street Fighter IV producer Yoshi Ono made mention that the next Street Fighter installment will be storming retailers sometime this Winter.

"At some point you'll be sitting in you winter coat looking at snow out the window ... and right then we'll kind of heat you up a little with some hot street fighter action," said Ono. "We don't want to start rumors that it's this year, but definitely this winter."

So, whether it's late 2008 or early 2009, SFIV is on its way to the 360 when there's snow on the ground. That is, if you live in a colder climate where it actually snows
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:40 pm

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Forgot to mention that I played this at comic con.

Rating= AWESOME!

It plays a lot like Street Fighter 2. Simpler controls that allow for a more detailed fight. The specials are awesome, but I do miss the FLASH and cut screen look from the ALPHA and VS. series though

The Cell Shading actually works for the mesh of 2-d and 3-d

CANT WAIT!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:35 pm

papalazeru wrote:That website is truly mesmerising. Fantastic to watch. Possibly the best website in the world.

For those of you who haven't been there lately, the official website has loads more cool videos 'n stuff to watch. And I think they've revealed the entire cast of characters on there by this point.

http://www.streetfighter.com/flash/index.php

They seem to be sticking with the release date of Feb 17th, so I think that's what we can expect. This game looks awesome, I really liked MK vs DC and am glad to see SF4 is continuing the journey back to fighting game basics, refered to as "the return to innocence" by Enigma.

I don't know about you guys, but I prefer this type of fighting game where the characters can jump really high and really far, and shoot projectiles, and employ various teleports and stun attacks as opposed to these more realistic ones that focus entirely on close hand to hand combat.

This might be the last fighting game I buy for a long time.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:22 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I prefer this type of fighting game where the characters can jump really high and really far, and shoot projectiles, and employ various teleports and stun attacks as opposed to these more realistic ones that focus entirely on close hand to hand combat.

Totally unbalanced hand to hand games seem far more common these days.
Tekken has went downhill as the series progressed.
Each end boss gets cheaper & cheaper & after about two fights it becomes abundantly clear that the only characters worth using are Jin, Kazuya & Heihachi.
That's been the case from Tekken 2 onwards (yes, i know Jin wasn't in 2, the other two were).
The novelty of fighting Devil wore off very quickly if you happened to be using Kunimitsu or any of the "neglected" characters.

Tekken does have the somewhat unique "one limb per button" thing to it's advantage.
I say advantage, it benefits button mashing a lot more.
On the other hand, it can lead to some impressive juggles.

the DOA games have a similar unique thing going on with the 3 button setup.
DOA 4 still felt incredibly cheap most of the time though.

On the other hand, Soul Calibur can be cheap too, all you need to do is take a beating while moving closer to the edge & then throw your opponent out of the ring (Astaroth whores).
The same applies to most games with "ring out" stages, but it's quite common if you're playing SC online.

Although, the cheapest fighting game in existence has to be Marvel vs Capcom 2.
60 characters or somewhere close, only about 10 of those are worth playing with.

Funnily enough, the other Street Fighter games never seemed like "projectile" fighters to me.
More about using the space you have.
Especially when you think about the hand to hand system in SF3, with parrys & whatnot.
MK (from 2 onwards) had the projectile thing covered, especially in UMK3.
______________________________________________________________________________________

I was playing SF3: 3rd Strike the other day & got quite pissed off at the 360 controller (shitty D-pad).
To cut a long story short, a brand new Hori EX2 got delivered this morning.

It works with the PC too.
After a little bit of getting used too (the buttons feel too, i dunno, soft?) i should be kicking ass online again in no time.
SF4 is on pre-order & i plan to master Ken in SSF2T: HD Remix before it arrives in February.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:12 am

Nice Joystick.

If you want the true experience you'll have to screw it into a welded down surface otherwise that mofo is sliding everywhere.

There really is nothing like playing Streetfighter on a Joystick with 6 buttons. Dazzle your collegues! Amaze your friends in those moments where it makes you look like you've got parkinsons.

papalazeru

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:34 am

This new breed of hand-to-hand combat-oriented fighting game that, if I'm not mistaken, started with Virtua Fighter, has clearly become more popular over the years. People seem to be real enthusiasts for this style, whereas I was willing to accept it and find the fun it while there was no realy oldschool alternative. But now that MK vs DC is out and SF4 is coming there's no competition for which type of fighter I prefer.

That being said, a lot of the reviews I read for fighting games have been questioning the need for their existence. I obviously disagree since I'm a big fan of this genre, but at the same time they have a point about how decidely oldschool fighting games are. Fighting games have remained, at their core, a totally arcade style entertainment of rapid reaction furious mindless action. And video games do seem to try more and more to achieve greater depth in their stories, atmosphere and re-creation of imersive worlds.

And at the same time, they take babysteps. I love MK vs DC, but if another MK game out next year I probably wouldn't buy it. Most new installments in fighting games series make small shuffles to the roster of fighters and settings, and minor upgrades to the graphics and gameplay each time. So most of the time it's only worth buying every third or fourth installment.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:59 am

Mindless?

I beg to differ. Fighting calls, like in real martial arts, for real instinctive reactions because the hand to eye coordination. It has to work fluidly to react propoerly. Look at Virtua Fighter, it took a long time to master that but one done, the skills never leave you. The counters, the movees everything

*hand twitches*

papalazeru

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:05 pm

You're right, practicing does make one a better fighter in video games as in real martial arts.

What I meant when I called it mindless and furious arcade action was that you pick up the controller, beat up some guys, put it down, and that's it. Most fighting games have little to no engrossing story.

And I guess I see each fight as self contained, I know fighting games have a tournament structure that you work to the top of, but the progress never feels the same as most video games where you work your way through different levels. I feel like in most video games, once I beat a level, I can beat it again very easily. With a fighting game like Mortal Kombat, just because I beat Scorpion once, doesn't mean it will be easier the next time.

I mean no dishonour to your dojo.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Actually, in MK vs DC the AI works towards the player.
In other words, If you get beaten by Scorpion & select Kontinue, Scorpion will be easier to fight, especially if you stick with your original character.

anyway...

The quick "pick up & play" nature of fighting games is an illusion.

Most Fighting games are ports of arcade games.
The arcade games make a lot more money when someone is fighting someone else (i.e. not the cpu)
The competitive nature of arcade play led to tournaments like Evo.
Tournaments where Street Fighter II still gets played by some amazing competitors.

In other video games, you work your way through levels of increasing difficulty, learn something about the character & reach the end of the game.
You play the same game again & everything is pretty much the same.
Before anyone says Left 4 Dead is the exception that proves the rule, No Mercy always starts on the rooftops & makes you go through the town to reach the other roof top that the heli picks you up from.

In fighting games, you learn something about yourself.
Your character doesn't gain any abilities or talents.
You do.
Every Fight is different.
Every player fights differently.
The progress you make is your own, not the characters.

If you're Ryu in SF2, you have to know the moves of Ken, E. Honda, Chun Li, Blanka, Zangief, Dhalsim, Guile, Balrog, Vega & M. Bison (& Ryu, obviously).
You have to know how to react to them all.

To put it another way...
You can completely master GTA IV in little over 100 hours. 100%, all achievements, the lot.
It can take a lifetime to master a fighting game.
A fighting game has no end.

TL;DR = Multiplayer has always been where it's at.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:18 pm

I think King of Nowhere and I agree in different words.

A fighting game does have no end, it's like a ball or a toy like that. Every fight is different, and you can learn as much from it as you want to. Its limits are your limits.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:59 am

Street Fighter IV: exclusive interview with producer, Yoshinori Ono

Thought all a you Street fighter fans may be interested in this...
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:14 pm

Joystiq wrote:
Street Fighter IV sells 86k copies first day in Japan, Capcom says it's sold out

Man. Wow. We totally thought this one was going to be a clunker. Seriously, we gave the classic series appropriate fanfare whenever we received any news regarding it, but we were just doing it out of respect. We never thought that the Japanese game consuming populous would snatch up 86,000 copies of Street Fighter IV on its launch day alone. We were thinking it'd be more like a few hundy, maybe a thou by the weekend.

Capcom seems to be just as surprised as we are -- a community manager for the company recently reported that they were "overwhelmed by demand", and that the game had completely sold out in Japan. The only copies within the country's confines rest in a few boxes in Capcom's basement -- they'll apparently be sent out to retailers on Monday, and then snatched up with avarice usually associated with Turboman dolls.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:15 am

Hermanator X wrote:Street Fighter IV: exclusive interview with producer, Yoshinori Ono

Thought all a you Street fighter fans may be interested in this...

Thanks Herm, that was a very interesting interview.

And man, Japanese people kill you kindness and flattery. The way Ono would answer every question with "That's a very astute observation" or "I'm so very thrilled that you asked that it brings me great joy" was pretty typical of high standard of politeness and endless niceities I experienced in Japan.

Ono kinda confirmed that this will be an awesome game in his whole approach to making it more accessible and comparing it to chess. Just like what we were discussing earlier about fighting games having no real end and being able to get as much out of them as you put in.

I think this game comes out on Wednesday here in Canada, so I'll pick it up then. Can't wait. I think I'll then have enough fighting and racing games to keep me happy for another ten years.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 am

Well for all those in the UK. tomorrow is the big day.

I'm ordering today for a sunday play off, as tomorrow more social engagements take precidence over game player - and I wish I could get out of them.

I'm torn between getting the Xbox version, which to be fair, has a sitty controller for Streetfighter (and anything on the directional D pad) or getting it on the Pc and getting a really really good controller.

Any suggestions KON?

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:24 am

papalazeru wrote:Well for all those in the UK. tomorrow is the big day.

I'm ordering today for a sunday play off, as tomorrow more social engagements take precidence over game player - and I wish I could get out of them.

I'm torn between getting the Xbox version, which to be fair, has a sitty controller for Streetfighter (and anything on the directional D pad) or getting it on the Pc and getting a really really good controller.

Any suggestions KON?

It depends how much you want it, but they are releasing a proper arcade stick for the 360. Not sure on price, but if you are gonna get lots of hours clocked on the game, that might be the way to go.

Link here, but no price details..

edit: Found a price on norwegian site for approx £80, but not sure what uk pricing will be. I expect it will be cheaper than £80. Also, the link I sent was for the premium controller, a standard one is available also, with lesser quality switches and gubbins inside.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:36 am

Thanks Hermanator but I wouldn't touch a stick that I can't get my hands on first.

The stick needs to be firm to the touch and you should be able to pull it about anything yet be sensitive to enjoy the slightest touch. I've had some sticks that couldn't take a good beating and they've come off in my hand. It has to have the right button press too, you don't want to hit it and that's then end of it. Also, it needs to be sturdy and quite heavy so it doesn't move all over the place when you make instinctive reaction moves.

...and after reading that back, I think I've just made Streetfighter IV really homosexual.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:48 am

papalazeru wrote:Thanks Hermanator but I wouldn't touch a stick that I can't get my hands on first.

The stick needs to be firm to the touch and you should be able to pull it about anything yet be sensitive to enjoy the slightest touch. I've had some sticks that couldn't take a good beating and they've come off in my hand. It has to have the right button press too, you don't want to hit it and that's then end of it. Also, it needs to be sturdy and quite heavy so it doesn't move all over the place when you make instinctive reaction moves.

...and after reading that back, I think I've just made Streetfighter IV really homosexual.

I feel dirty.

Maybe a store has a demo set up with the controller? Check out some reviews of it too, as im pretty sure Kotaku reviewed it using the stick, but I cant confirm as gaming sites are off limits at work. It would be nice to think its not a cheap quickly made bit of tat to shift a few units of streetfighter, but you are correct to be wary.

I would have more concrete info, but im not that into streetfighter (gasp!) and just recounting the tidbits I have read about it recently surfing game sites.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:54 am

That's it, I'm digging out my old Snes controlleer :D

I was the mutts nutts on that :D

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:46 am

papalazeru wrote:That's it, I'm digging out my old Snes controlleer :D

I was the mutts nutts on that :D

Again with the testicles. Oy Vei!!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:44 am

papalazeru wrote:Thanks Hermanator but I wouldn't touch a stick that I can't get my hands on first.

First of, let me start by saying IT CAME IN THE POST THIS MORNING!
Thank fuck for pre-orders.

Secondly, You should get the 360 version.

Reasons:
1: multiple arcade controllers that work right off the bat. i'll talk about them in a min.
2: It's out now (the pc version doesn't come out for a few months)
3: It looks better than the PS3 & PC versions.

I'm not having a cheep dig at ps3 users here.
Nor PC users.
I'm actually baffled by this.

The Taito arcade machine that SF4 runs on is actually a PC running XP.
The arcade version doesn't feature any anti-aliasing.
Strange, given that the machine has an Nvidia Geforce in the back.
The PS3 version doesn't feature any AA either. Makes complete sense.

The 360 version has 4XAA apparently.
No idea why, considering none of the other versions have it.
Seems really strange that they'd add it to one port & not all of them.

Also, i've heard some people say that because the arcade machine runs at 1280x720 & the 360 runs at 720p native, it's gonna look as much like the arcade version as possible (the ps3 apparently runs at 1080 & downscales to whatever resolution your tv is).
I dunno how true any of that is.
Surely if it was going to look exactly like the arcade version they wouldn't need to bother with AA?

Regardless of all that, the 360 has better players online.
Again, i'm not taking a dig at ps3 users, i'm sure you guys don't ragequit or cry that things are cheap.
But all the tourney people seem to be on the 360. If you've watched an evo video on youtube, chances are that guy now uses a 360 to train on.
I'm not pulling this outta my ass, the SRK community is where i found all this out.

It's also where i found out how to mod & fit real arcade parts into my arcade stick.
Behold!

While it looks nice, it doesn't work.
3 buttons don't work at all.

Basically, if you're buying a stick, avoid Hori or you'll end up with one hell of a task.
Nothing fits & the pcb inside likes to commit suicide.
It can be saved by gutting a 360 controller & using the pcb, i'll have to do it this weekend.

Hori are bringing out an arcade stick with official parts, Semitsu i think.
It's called the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE.
Given my past experience (read: currently the thing still doesn't work) i wouldn't buy Hori again.

Madcats just released 2 types of stick.
The SFIV fightstick & the SFIV fightstick TE.
TE is the tournament edition, built with all Sanwa parts.
The regular fightstick has madcats own version of the sanwa parts.
The price difference is huge.

I suggest you pick up the regular Fightstick from your local GAME or whatever.
Then, go to http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk & order 6 sanwa OBSF-30 buttons in whatever colours you want.

The fightstick is easy to mod & you don't need to solder fuck all.
All the buttons have spade connectors on them, so all you need to do is slide them off, pop the button out, pop the new button in, slide them on & you're ready to go.

You may not even need to fit it with Sanwa parts, depends how comfortable you are with the stock buttons.
You'll probably need to sort out the joystick though.
Apparently the metal washer rubs against the circuit board & basically kills it.
Not everyone has this problem, but from what i've seen, more people do than don't.
It's quickly fixed if it does happen.

right, gimme a second.

THE GAME:
I've waited almost 10 years for this.
Obviously, it kicks fucking ass.

I mistakenly decided to attempt arcade mode using the half-dead Hori stick.
Made it all the way to Seth with 3 buttons.
I had it on easy, but i didn't have heavy kick, heavy punch or light punch at my disposal.
Seth is a cheap mofo. I'm sure he'll be banned from tourneys as he's far beyond ST Akuma broken.

The new characters are alright, there's not a lot of them though.
The old characters are the same as always.
It's not like they were gonna give Guile or Zangief the spinning bird kick.
They have some new moves, fake kicks & things, but all the old moves are there & pretty much use the same inputs as they did back in the day.

I haven't tried it on an HDtv yet, but it looks good. I'm glad they went with this 2.5d or whatever style rather than what they did with the Ex series.

Not much else to say right now.
I'll have to plug my xbox pad in & give it a try with the full range of attacks.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 pm

I have to refute your claim that 360 has better SF players than PS3 since you know

PS3 PLAYERS KICKED 360 PLAYERS ASS AT THE CES TOURNEY PUT ON BY CAPCOM...

Just sayin'
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Psyz on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:23 pm

Oh and lucky you, I still have to convince the missus to let me make this purchase... I need to bargin out something... she's afraid I'll never see the kids again...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:39 pm

King Psyz wrote:I have to refute your claim that 360 has better SF players than PS3 since you know

PS3 PLAYERS KICKED 360 PLAYERS ASS AT THE CES TOURNEY PUT ON BY CAPCOM...

Just sayin'

Regardless, the majority of "big names" in competitive fighting games tend to play on an xbox.
Maybe because MvC2, Cvs2 & SF2: Anniversary edition (including SFIII:3rd Strike) all came out for the original xbox & are backwards compatible.
Naomi is only just emulated at a decent frame rate & it took forever to crack CPS3's encryption, i'm sure that played a part.

Dreamcasts still get used at Evo, for MvC2 etc.
Console doesn't really matter when you're using a stick.

Also, as a P.S. to my earlier post...

Turns out Easy mode isn't even easy mode.

It goes something like

Easiest
very easy
easy
normal
normal hard
hard
hardest

So i'd say i done pretty well with only 3 buttons.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:19 am

Saw the queue outside Gamestation this morning on the way to work.

Made me giggle. Knowing my area, it's probably pikies trying to get a second hand copy :D

I do miss the thrill of being there with everyone on first day of release for a game but it's so much easier to order and have it there when you get home. I haven't actually seen a queue for a game in a long while, I'm guessing it'll make the press at some point today.

papalazeru

Postby King Psyz on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:39 pm

I BOUGHT IT LAST NIGHT

*fanboy sqweeeeeeeeeeee*
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:20 pm

Alright, so I got the special edition of this game on Wednesday because I was feeling special and have been playing it for a bit now and feel fine about sharing my thoughts on the game.

STREET FIGHTER 4

This game is being praised for its simplicity and I guess I'll add to that praise. This game is fun, fast, and fair. Unlike almost every other fighting game out there, this one is pure combat. They've stripped away, or I guess in this case simply chosen not to add, all of the bells and whistles that have been amassing in fighting games over the years. In this game the environments are not interactive, so there's no extra damage to be inflicted because you hit a guy when he happens to be near a window or a cheetah. And there's no sidedishes like MK vs DC's Klose Kombat mode or freefall mode that briefly alter the nature of the combat and alow for greater chance. SF4 is just two fighters moving back and forth in a fixed environment with no outside interference and one type of fighting. Pure skill.

I don't really feel that's better or worse, honestly, I really like the interactive environments in other fighting games and found the alternate combat modes in MK vs DC gave the gameplay more surprises. SF4 is just pure combat. And the combat is fun and fast enough to make it a great game.

The game starts off with the roster from the last SF game I really played, SF2: Turbo, plus the 4 new characters, and you then unlock more characters. This game has what made the original iconic and enduring: memorable distinct characters. If somebody showed up to a Halloween party dressed as Rufus or Viper I would recognize them right away. Most of the male characters have these insane steroid bodies with arms as thick as treetrunks and bodies that are almost as broad as they are tall, yet the female characters are not the stacked porn stars in fetish outfits we've come to expect from fighting game in recent years and I think that's a good thing. As much as I love pornstars and huge boobies, I don't think every female character in every videogame needs to be stacked like a Russ Meyer vixen.

The characters are all great and so are the locations. I found that sometimes the location didn't affect the appearance of the characters and other times it did. In the volcano stage the characters have a red tint to them because of the light from the lava, in the ship level the characters look oddly bright considering they're standing in fog on an overcast day.

The game delivers the ultimate in arcade feel. I felt like I was playing a slot machine the way the screen endlessly flashed and bells and Looney Tunes sounds fire off. When you hit somebody everything from ink splats to stars to fireworks fly out of their bodies. And an announcer who I think is the same announcer on Dance Dance Revolution hypes up the fights.

The story is pretty standard for fighting games in that there barely is one. If I hadn't played MK vs DC I wouldn't be expecting much, but after that game I now think it's reasonable to ask that cut scenes between fights at least provide some sort of context for the fight or the character's personal struggle. You get these odd old fashioned 2D animation sequences that are just confusing to me. I know Street Fighter has spawned some cartoons in Japan and that maybe the cutscenes in this game are just reminding the audience of events from the cartoon, but I was totally lost. Luckily, there aren't that many of them. Two cut scenes per character.

The boss represents the least original and most frustrating aspect of the game. He looks like Doc Manhattan, has the same power as the bad guy in the DOA movie, hangs out in Dr. No's living room, and is cheap as the budgie. Fighting him is the same pain in the ass it is fighting that similiar creature in DOA4.

The game appears to have loads of unlockables, which is great. It'll keep me coming back. I like that SF4 has the dressup feature of DOA games where you earn new costumes and dress your fighters like little dolls. I wish this game had the visible damage that MK vs DC did where those beautiful costumes would get ripped to shreds during the fight. As far I've seen, only Vega experiences visible damage in losing his mask and claw.

The special edition came with the soundtrack, which is about as early 90s as it gets. Lotsa techno with lotsa sreeching electric guitars. It might be good for excercising to, but I think the best use is to rip it to your Xbox and make a playlist that includes a few more songs and use that as a new soundtrack for this and other games. I was using the score from The Dark Knight as my Soul Calibur 4 soundtrack and it really worked. I could see using SF4's score with some of my own dance music mixed in for variety.

The special edition also includes a cartoon movie which I will probably watch with the kids I babysit and maybe it will bring new meaning to those wiggity wack cutscenes in this game.

So overall, this is a really good game. Capcom haven't psyched themselves out and added a bunch of pointless bells and whistles or abondoned the tone that defines this series.

Good job Capcom, now do the same for Megaman.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:24 pm

And here's the unlockable characters and how to get them. Getting those last three sounds fucking impossible.

-- Cammy, End the arcade mode with Crimson Viper.

-- Dan, End the arcade mode with Sakura.

-- Fei Long, End the arcade mode with Abel.

-- Gen, End the arcade mode with Chun-Li.

-- Rose, End the arcade mode with M.Bison.

-- Sakura, End the arcade mode with Ryu.

-- Akuma, After unlocking Sakura, Dan, Cammy, Fei Long, Gen and Rose, Fight him on arcade mode, to do that, get 2 perfects and 2 Ultra Finishes.

-- Gouken, After unlocking Akuma, Sakura, Dan, Cammy, Fei Long, Gen and Rose, Fight him on arcade mode, to do that, get 2 perfects and 3 Ultra Finishes.

-- Seth, End the game with all the other characters.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:59 am

Yeah, Seth suffers from SNK boss syndrome.
Even on easy, you'll still get fucked by him.
The majority of his moves are cut scenes too, so you can't even move out of the way.

Charge characters suck against him because you're holding down, getting ready to hit up & kick for the SBK & he just walks up & triggers a cut scene SPD.
Sagat kicks his fucking ass though.

The focus parry is quite frustrating.
If you parry the 1st hit of an ex move, you'll still take the rest of the hits, rather than being able to parry the rest like in SFIII.
So you've gotta learn to dash cancel the focus.

I unlocked Akuma.
Can't seem to unlock Gouken though.
I either end up with too may perfects (using the easiest setting, best way to make sure you can win with ultras), or i make it to Seth with the 3 ultras & 2 perfects & get SPD'd to death.
I guess it's not "at least 2 perfects & three ultras," it has to be exactly that or you'll fight him but not unlock him.

The stages do have environmental hits btw, just like sf2.
Remember when you could break the barrel on Guile's stage?
You can break a crate on the warehouse stage.
That's about it though.

I wish they'd included some of the SFIII characters.
Seems strange to not have them, especially when the game is set between 2 & 3.
Maybe they'll bring them out as DLC. Capcom already said they'd release T.Hawk & DJ from ST if enough people want them.

Online is total shit.
It's a complete step back from HD remix.
No lobbies, no spectators.
Trying to find a match is a joke.
Even if you try the quick match option, the 3 matches it lists will have already been filled .

Anyone know how well the game is selling?
Someone i know who works at GAME said they sold about 16 Xbox versions & 25 PS3 versions yesterday.
He also said they didn't get any fightpads, sticks or CE's in.
I don't expect many stores will get the TE stick, MC have stopped taking orders & they were only supposed to be a limited run.
Still, seems weird that the pads etc. didn't get delivered.
But that's only the one store & it's in quite a small town.

Stores should have a console set up with the game running.
It'd bring more people in & they'd sell more SF paraphernalia.
Well, if they stock it.

GAME in Edinburgh were gonna have a tournament last night.
£2 for entry, cash was going to a charity for the victims of domestic violence.
They canceled it because the game was deemed inappropriate for the cause.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:49 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:The stages do have environmental hits btw, just like sf2.
Remember when you could break the barrel on Guile's stage?
You can break a crate on the warehouse stage.
That's about it though.

In the Africa airfield you can actually knock the wing off the plane as it taxis by. That made me laugh. But I don't think these minor prop destructions have any impact on the game, when I talk about interactive enivronments I mean like how in DOA4 the cheetah would maul you or a stray dinosaur would knock you off your feet or how if you kick a guy near a cliff he flies off and suffers way more damage than just the kick. Stuff that affects the fight.

I've always wanted a fighting game to make a level of a china shoppe and you just go nuts smashing your opponent through endless glass.

King Of Nowhere wrote:I unlocked Akuma.
Can't seem to unlock Gouken though.
I either end up with too may perfects (using the easiest setting, best way to make sure you can win with ultras), or i make it to Seth with the 3 ultras & 2 perfects & get SPD'd to death.
I guess it's not "at least 2 perfects & three ultras," it has to be exactly that or you'll fight him but not unlock him.

I've only been playing the game on the default medium setting with three round fights. It's tought slogging. Maybe I'll knotch down the difficulty and unlock the rest of those characters. I try playing as Viper and I get my ass handed to me on medium. I think it took me ten tries to beat Abel and I can't beat Sagat with her.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Easiest is just the best way to make sure you're gonna get the perfects & ultras.

I wouldn't recommend completing it with everyone on the easiest setting though.
You can roundhouse most people to death.
Dhalsim, Bison & anyone else with a sweep can reach Seth with nothing but perfects.

Keep it on medium if you like.
Just play through with your main character until you reach Seth.
Throw the fight & change character at continue.
Also, don't use ultras against Seth.
He'll dodge them 90% of the time, unless you're canceling from a special into the ultra.

I highly recommend Sagat.
Even the people i've played online fall for the old tiger shot, tiger shot, tiger knee.

I thought the cheetah, car & whatever in DOA4 were incredibly cheap.
Really frustrating online, when every move is a reversal. It just boils down to whoever the car hits first.

They do affect the game in SF, only points though.
Kinda redundant when there's no high score table.
There's online rankings, but they go by completely different points.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:29 am

Alright, this also just hit me. I remembered reading an interview with the game's producers and they were talking about the Japanese arcade version and the additions they'd be making for the home version. They talked about adding all these characters like Cammy and Dan etc, but I'm sure they also said they would bring back the smash stages where you destroy the car and the barrels. Well, they didn't do that. It would've been fun though. Maybe that'll be one of these Xbox Live download things I keep hearing about. I think I'll get Live when I move in a few weeks.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Next

Return to Games