Street Fighter 4 (Hadouken up your ass!)

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Re: Street Fighter 4 (Hadouken up your ass!)

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Alright, this also just hit me. I remembered reading an interview with the game's producers and they were talking about the Japanese arcade version and the additions they'd be making for the home version. They talked about adding all these characters like Cammy and Dan etc, but I'm sure they also said they would bring back the smash stages where you destroy the car and the barrels. Well, they didn't do that. It would've been fun though. Maybe that'll be one of these Xbox Live download things I keep hearing about. I think I'll get Live when I move in a few weeks.

Yeah, i miss that too.
They left it out in the arcade version because one person breaking the car or the barrels isn't filling the machine with cash.
Funny thing is, the warehouse stage would work for the barrels & the car park stage would work for the car.
Maybe they gave up on them during development.
Maybe they'll be in the PC version & we'll ll end up kicking ourselves.
I can't see us being able to download the bonus stages for free though, not when they're charging for the extra costumes that something tells me are located on the disc (grappler costume pack is about 250 kilobytes, i think).
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:10 pm

There is supposed to be a free update any day now, maybe they'll toss it in then? I also remember them saying we'd get the bonus stages back for the consoles. I guess they're too busy now getting Lost Planet 2 ready...

Oh and I finally unlocked Gouken... Switch to single rounds, Two perfects only, Three Ultras only, no Supers, no more perfects, and avoid EX moves. You should get Gouken to come out then.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:23 pm

About online, don't know about LIVE but I found the funnest way to play online is let them come to you. In your profile allow for ranked opponents to challange in Arcade mode.

Play through Arcade and you'll get non stop challanges and don't have to hassle with finding a good connection or open room.

I love playing Blanka online because everyone assumes he's so easily beatable, but if you can master Blanka you can overcome most opponents. The H Punch foward down slide will go under most projectiles (Guile/Ryu/Ken spammers) The K button forward roll will get most turtles off guard or at least bring them out of their home. EX electric attack for jumpers and missed flash kicks. EX P rolls for going through projectiles and right into the face of spammers. As long as I keep moving I usually can overcome fairly highly ranked players (2k+ battle points)

It's funny how you can tell when you're playing someone with a joystick, everything comes off so much cleaner and you usually get arcade level play since one they're able to play at a higher level than the analog or directional pad will allow and the people who would pay $100 for a joystick are probablly near pro level if not pros already.

Once I get one I could be unstopable with Blanka and Sagat.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Right now I can beat all my friends, but when I do get this Live thing I expect to go on and get my ass kicked by four year olds.

For some reason I've chosen Sakura as my fighter of choice. Even though she's kinda like baby Ryu. I still can't unlock any of those last three fighters because I just can't make the ultras happen other than by fluke. I'm probably pressing the buttons wrong. Plus I don't have any fancy controller, just the ones that Xbox makes.

It would be cool if they added the smash stages back in as a download. And as far as I can tell, Dhalsim's temple is not a stage in this game. I miss those cute elephants.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:52 pm

King Psyz wrote:About online, don't know about LIVE but I found the funnest way to play online is let them come to you. In your profile allow for ranked opponents to challange in Arcade mode.

Play through Arcade and you'll get non stop challanges and don't have to hassle with finding a good connection or open room.

I love playing Blanka online because everyone assumes he's so easily beatable, but if you can master Blanka you can overcome most opponents. The H Punch foward down slide will go under most projectiles (Guile/Ryu/Ken spammers) The K button forward roll will get most turtles off guard or at least bring them out of their home. EX electric attack for jumpers and missed flash kicks. EX P rolls for going through projectiles and right into the face of spammers. As long as I keep moving I usually can overcome fairly highly ranked players (2k+ battle points)

It's funny how you can tell when you're playing someone with a joystick, everything comes off so much cleaner and you usually get arcade level play since one they're able to play at a higher level than the analog or directional pad will allow and the people who would pay $100 for a joystick are probably near pro level if not pros already.

Once I get one I could be unstoppable with Blanka and Sagat.

Blanka has that move where he just lies on the floor. Works well against Ken, Ryu & Guile.
Sagat is a beast though.

Guile has to charge for the sonic boom, so it's easy to tell when one's coming out.
If he's crouching, step the fuck back or you'll get spin kicked into an ultra.

Zangief is still a pain.
I had someone just lariat me to death last night.
I'd tiger uppercut & they'd be back into lariat before my recovery frames were over.
EX Tiger Uppercut for the win next time, i think.

The Arcade challenge option is a nice touch. It's not a patch on the HD Remix lobby system though.

Spandau, there's an option to search for players with a similar amount of skill to yourself, it works pretty well.

Training mode is your friend as far as the ultra moves go.
If you're using a charge character, remember that you've gotta be fast with the directions that follow the 1st.
If you're Ken, Ryu, Sagat or whatever, move the stick from right to down, back up to left, back down to down & back up to left, then hit the 3 punch/kick buttons. Seems to work 95% of the time.
LB & LT are mapped to 3K & 3P, use them with your right hand though, it's quicker when you get used to it.

I really gotta sort my dead Hori out this weekend.
I'll be doing fireball motions with the D-pad & SRK's with the analogue stick until then.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Dont know about the 360 analog, but I sorta got used to the PS3 analog as a mini joystick. I can pull most ultras pretty easily, it just takes practice.

I also don't get why they had such an awesome thing going with SFII:HD's online only to throw it out...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:55 pm

King Psyz wrote:Dont know about the 360 analog, but I sorta got used to the PS3 analog as a mini joystick. I can pull most ultras pretty easily, it just takes practice.

I also don't get why they had such an awesome thing going with SFII:HD's online only to throw it out...

Backbone was behind the online of HD Remix, i think.
No such luck with 4.
I hope the champion patch includes lobbies with an option for more than 2 people.
Tournament mode would be nice.

I'm pretty used to the ultras as they're just regular old super inputs with the 3 buttons instead of 1.
Capcom did simplify the controls though. So much so that the official guide says you can just mash left & right while pressing lp, lk, hp to pull off the raging demon (or wrath of raging demon, if your ultra meter is full).

One thing that pisses me off, you rarely get the chance to use supers anymore.
The bar gets used up by EX moves & the ultra bar fills after you take 4 punches or something.

They got it the wrong way round.
Ultras should be once every two rounds, not supers.
Supers don't even give that much damage anymore.
:(
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:11 pm

King Psyz wrote:Dont know about the 360 analog, but I sorta got used to the PS3 analog as a mini joystick. I can pull most ultras pretty easily, it just takes practice.

I find I actually use both the D-pad and the analogy joystick. I use the D-pad for blocking and crouching and some moving, but when I get in for attacks, especially ones that involve rotations, I switch to the analogue joystick.

My brother-in-law is the biggest pro-PS guy I know in real life. He doesn't even own one but whenever he's playing my Xbox he just gripes about how much worse it looks and bad the controls are than the PS at his friend's house. I almost want to rent a PS, hook it up to my television and see if I can tell any difference. Just rent a game that I play on Xbox a lot and see if I can tell any difference.

I'm not dug in deep on my love for Xbox, my reason for buying it over the PS at the time was a bigger roster of games. I think it's just one of those Coke-Pepsi things. I prefer Coke.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 pm

well at least you choose the right soda...

:wink:

And actually, with Sakura you can do some serious damage. Practice up, she's no slouch with a little work. Gouken on the other hand is nearly useless, some many moves require you to be all up someone's ass and in the SF universe range is king. Just about anyone can keep Gouken at bay considering he telegraphs like nobody's business and needs to be on top of someone to inflict any real harm.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:38 am

King Psyz wrote:well at least you choose the right soda...

:wink:

And actually, with Sakura you can do some serious damage. Practice up, she's no slouch with a little work. Gouken on the other hand is nearly useless, some many moves require you to be all up someone's ass and in the SF universe range is king. Just about anyone can keep Gouken at bay considering he telegraphs like nobody's business and needs to be on top of someone to inflict any real harm.

Goken has his own set of parry moves that auto counter, that's a big plus.
He'll seem sup-par right no because he's still rather new.
We've been playing the other characters for well over 10 years, most of the strategies were developed over time.

Sakura is alright, she's not half as bad as Cammy or Vega.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:57 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:We've been playing the other characters for well over 10 years, most of the strategies were developed over time.

...and that right there is why I won't be buying this game. (nothing personal KoN!)

I haven't been building a strategy, I wouldn't know Sagat from Guile and have no clue on the control structure.

If I can't bash the buttons randomly and do well, I ain't interested! ;)

But in all seriousness, the recent SF games really seem aimed at the hardcore SF players. Should I need
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:48 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:We've been playing the other characters for well over 10 years, most of the strategies were developed over time.

...and that right there is why I won't be buying this game. (nothing personal KoN!)

But in all seriousness, the recent SF games really seem aimed at the hardcore SF players. Should I need

I'd agree, Streetfighter 3 took things to ludicrous levels. You needs tourettes or Parkinsons to be able to play that. I could just about deal with the alpha series but even that got stupid with the choice of combos on the player select screen.

The new streetfighter has been structured in such a way that old and new players stand a chance of learning and building up their skills. I wouldn't put it down just yet until you've given it a good weeks worth of play. Rent from a video shop first or something.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby King Psyz on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:19 pm

Yeah it's easliy on par with SFII as it goes with the ability to play and win without being autistic and/or obsessed with every counter, parry, and cancel. While it still leaves room for those so inclined to develop their own gameplay style.

My only gripe is with Gouken as he REQUIRES one to learn the insane intricies with him to be sucessful.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:37 am

I have lost about 18 hours of sleep since playing this.. I got to play the demo at con, but now that I've had a chance to sit down and properly learn the new attacks.. fuck me I love this game... Its up there with Alpha 3 (my personal fav) And I love that Sakura made the cut. I've been beating some ass with her over the last 2 days....
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby King Psyz on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:23 pm

After playing with her a bit, she might even be a bit off balance with the other fighters...

if you connect with her shoryuken or her tornado kick, more so EX versions, you can turn the tide instantly. I still love stomping ass with Blanka... everyone seems so convinced they can beat me by spamming projectiles because Blanka only does forward spins in some people's head.

The only thing I can't do which I loved doing in the arcade is his med. punch headbutt insta 2hit. They show it on the movelist but I cannot get it to come out for me. Plus EX forward rolls through spammers slow fireballs is a thing of beauty. I wish I could see their reaction the first time they watch an EX roll go right past the fireball/sonic boom and into their grill...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:15 pm

My friend has worked me two ways from sunday with AKUMA.. a charecter I love playing, but he always bitches at me for playing because he's "a cheap charecter"

He figured out a 2 hit mega combo with BOTH versions of AKUMA'S demon rage... the programers have made it much fucking easier to hit that movie that if you plot it right, You hit the SUPER version first, then the built up super after that and its instant death....
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby King Psyz on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:37 pm

I just jump over it or use a move to counter it. Hell I countered it once with a forward punch, I wish I had on a headset to hear the kid on the other end probablly loosing his damned mind.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:42 am

If you're using someone with a dragon punch, dragon punch them.
If you're using Dan or Chun, do an EX fireball.
You could probably lariat with Gief, he's a fucking beast.
Anyone else, jump over them & hit them with a throw.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:33 am

So I watched the cartoon movie that came with the Special Edition, and it did help put some of game's story cut scenes in context. The cartoon isn't terribly good, but I didn't expect much from a promotional goodie like this. It basically feels like an episode of a television series, which perhaps it is in Japan. I dont' know. It takes place before the game and sets up lots of the plotlines such Ken's wife being pregnant with Ryu's baby. Just kidding.

I'm still unable to work the ultras. I can perform all the regular special moves. For Ryu it looks like the special is just the same as the hadouken only with one more quarter rotation before it and hitting all the punch buttons at the end instead of just one. But nothing comes out. I'll keep plodding away.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:33 am

LB & LT are mapped to the 3X by default.
Try hitting LB instead of going for the individual buttons at the same time.

So, do what you do for the special hadoken & hit LB instead of RB.
Also, do it after you've launched your opponent in the air with a dragon punch.
They won't be able to block or jump over it. Should hit their body as it's falling.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:16 am

I switched the 3x buttons to the right shoulders and it has made the ultras so much easier
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:14 am

I switched it to Roundhouse & KKK on the left, Fierce & PPP on the right.
Kinda like the snes, playstation & dreamcast setup back in the day.

We shouldn't really be complaining about the controls of a SF game.
Until the six button pad came out, us poor Mega Drive/Genesis SFII players had to hit start to switch between punches & kicks.
The Amiga & c=64 versions had one button.
The Spectrum version probably had one button too, i remember it being black & white with huge sprites, never played it though.

We should post our BP here, seeing as we're not all gonna get a chance to play against each other.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:59 am

right now I hover around the high 500s to 700s

I ran to a pitch perfect blanka player the other night, but then I won 10 in a row, and started getting tired (1am) and getting sloppy. Ken fierce dragon punch spammers are the worst... I had one guy disconnect though about a fierce punch away from victory... that really pisses me off. I got that alot in SC IV which is why I stopped playing.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Just dropped down to the late 400's.
I decided to try out Dan, seemed like a good idea at the time.

Ragequitters are all over fighting games.
HD remix had more of them than regular players.

But you know something? these people think they're the shit because the BP isn't going down.

Exhibit A:
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 pm

mine was even funnier, the baby started crying in it's crib so I have to walk over to give him his pacifier and this guy can tell I'm not moving or doing anything and starts in on me.

starts a new round and he's still beating on a corpse when I come back from behind and beat him. last round I am dominating him, still full health and he's one fierce punch away from defeat when he disconnects...

so I message him about how weak it is to quit before a loss and to not bother, he comes back with "oh lost signal I swear" except when PSN drops you you couldn't be back online in 5 seconds to reply to a message, you usually have to go out of the game and try and resign in and if you got dropped it's usually for bad signal so the signal would have to be back, etc. so a few minutes.

then he replies again to request a rematch since he was whooping me so hard and wants to finish me... riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:36 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:The Spectrum version probably had one button too, i remember it being black & white with huge sprites, never played it though.

It was one button........... and you had to load between characters. :lol: That's the truth.

As for people breaking connection to keep their winning streaks...Fuck that!!! As much as I want this game, I'm glad I'm not playing because I'd be mighty pissed off if that happened to me. I'd probably swear blue murder at them.

They better patch that shit quick. Guarantee'd there are a bunch of exploit fuckers out there getting their ranking higher so when it is patched, they don't have to play it again and have the highest rank ever.

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:25 pm

papalazeru wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:The Spectrum version probably had one button too, i remember it being black & white with huge sprites, never played it though.

It was one button........... and you had to load between characters. :lol: That's the truth.

As for people breaking connection to keep their winning streaks...Fuck that!!! As much as I want this game, I'm glad I'm not playing because I'd be mighty pissed off if that happened to me. I'd probably swear blue murder at them.

They better patch that shit quick. Guarantee'd there are a bunch of exploit fuckers out there getting their ranking higher so when it is patched, they don't have to play it again and have the highest rank ever.

I'd like to think that people are only doing it to get the achievements & then they'll trade the game for something else.
Truth is, some people are just wankers.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:04 pm

yeah it didn't take long for PSN to find it's share of Trophy whores either.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Seth Killion on SFIV

Postby fireiceguy on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:35 am

Thought this was an interesting read.

Definitely. There’s so much fun to be had with a lot of the different characters–I just wish people could relax about maximizing Battle Points and remember to have some fun. I always play new characters in ranked matches, and I lose a lot while I’m learning the ropes. You know what? That’s okay! I always end up making up the difference pretty quick, and playing more characters helps me to really understand the game from all sides, as well as keeping it eternally fresh and challenging. And re: Ken, I excuse myself because for me, Ken *is* outside of my boundaries! I usually play “charge” characters, like Blanka or Balrog.

http://www.nerdsociety.com/2009/03/16/the-legend-of-seth-interview-with-capcoms-finest/
fireiceguy
GLIB

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:31 am

Champion edition DLC
Joystiq wrote:If the prospect of not having to fork over extra Zenny for Street Fighter IV's upcoming Championship mode isn't enough to put the sonic in your boom, Capcom has released additional details behind the impending DLC's April 24 release.

In addition to previously revealed features, Capcom notes that tournaments will be seeded randomly, based on player skill, with single elimination bouts and double-blind character selection helping to keep fights as fair as possible. In addition, Capcom promises that players who disconnect at the first sign of trouble will be knocked down in their tournament rank. Even better, quitters will have their disconnect percentage put on display for all to mock when the free download hyper uppercuts the PS3 and Xbox 360 later this month.

In addition to all these updates, each platform will have a specific way of interacting with the new Replay Mode:

"On the PlayStation Network, you can rate matches while you watch according to characteristics such as "awesome" or "funny." Replays are then ranked based on these vote ratings.

On Xbox Live, instead of rating the matches, you can choose to download and save your favorite replays to study the players' techniques. You'll also be able to turn on the input commands from both players to be able to review their button and joystick motions in precise detail."
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 03, 2009 10:09 am

Right, just got Streetfighter for Xbox for birthday.

All I have to say is,
fuckingcocksuckingcuntingstupidfuckingzangeifcuntskakermonkeybalscuntcuntcuntyfuckingcuntwankshitballs!!!!!!!!

I now hate the Xbox controller to the 7th level of hell. It is so shit for streetfighter. I can't believe the stick is more responsive than the D pad.

If it was a snes controll pad I'd be busting ass but trying to link special moves on it is wank.

Zangeif skanked me by continually grabbing me and piledriving.

Fucking bastard.

I now have Streetfighter. For another games machine, let the tourettes fly.

papalazeru

Super Street Fighter 4

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:02 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm not sure why they're not making the Super SF4 a downloadable add-on. If it's just the same game with a few new characters, then each character should be downloadable individually. And maybe throw in a few new venues.

I definately won't pay full price for a game that is just an expansion pack on a game I already own, though I might pay to download some new characters.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:28 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I'm not sure why they're not making the Super SF4 a downloadable add-on. If it's just the same game with a few new characters, then each character should be downloadable individually. And maybe throw in a few new venues.

I definately won't pay full price for a game that is just an expansion pack on a game I already own, though I might pay to download some new characters.

Because Capcom does it that way since the 80's. And they make a shitload of cash that way.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:30 pm

travis-dane wrote:Because Capcom does it that way since the 80's. And they make a shitload of cash that way.

But they didn't have DLC in the 80s and 90s. DLC is pretty good for everybody. It's great for the gamemakers, and it's pretty good for the fans too.

I feel like they'd probably make more money and the fans would be happier if they just parcelled this out as DLC. I would've paid to download a few new characters and venues.

It's weird, every review I read for a fighting game questions the genre's relevance and most people I know who play video games are not really into the fighting genre anymore. I think Capcom will probably have a nasty surprise when they try the same shit they pulled in the 80s and find most people aren't going to shell out the money for this. Well, most people here that is. I'm sure the Japanese fans will buy ten copies each.

Anyway, this news got me to play SF4 for the first time in a couple months and I feel pretty happy with the roster of fighters. Most people use the same couple of characters all the time anyway, so more characters would just add more variety to my opponents.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:29 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
travis-dane wrote:Because Capcom does it that way since the 80's. And they make a shitload of cash that way.

But they didn't have DLC in the 80s and 90s. DLC is pretty good for everybody. It's great for the gamemakers, and it's pretty good for the fans too.

I feel like they'd probably make more money and the fans would be happier if they just parcelled this out as DLC. I would've paid to download a few new characters and venues.

It's weird, every review I read for a fighting game questions the genre's relevance and most people I know who play video games are not really into the fighting genre anymore. I think Capcom will probably have a nasty surprise when they try the same shit they pulled in the 80s and find most people aren't going to shell out the money for this. Well, most people here that is. I'm sure the Japanese fans will buy ten copies each.

Anyway, this news got me to play SF4 for the first time in a couple months and I feel pretty happy with the roster of fighters. Most people use the same couple of characters all the time anyway, so more characters would just add more variety to my opponents.

Come on Spandau, do the math. One game full retail prize €69.99. One download €9.99.
They will make a shitload of cash again. and then you will get DLC for the new game. for even more money. and the people will pay.
Look for to the Resident Evil games for more info how Capcom milks us players.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:51 am

The problem with making the super version DLC is balancing. They are adding characters & trying to balance them all, so the gameplay will differ, strategies will have to be re-thought & so on.
Making it a completely different game will let the professional players have the option to choose which version they want to play & compete with. Forcing them to play an updated, re-balanced version would just piss them off.

Also, Capcom have said SSFIV will be a budget title, so you won't be charged €69.99 or $80 for it. €30 is more likely.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:38 am

Holy shit you guys in Europe pay a lot for videogames! Do they charge you guys extra as punishment for all the piracy in Russia or something?

A new videogame here in Canada is like 60 Canadian dollars, which is like 35 Euros.

Anyway, my math is like this:

They can charge $30 dollars for Super SF4, or they could charge $5 per character for each of the 8 new characters, then charge like $10 for a pack of new venues and then charge $10 for the car smash and barrel smash games. People would slowly buy each component seperately and the ones who wanted everything would end up paying more than the price of a whole new game. And lots of people who don't feel like buying a whole new game, might still drop a few bucks for DLC.

But yeah, they'll make some money off this either way, for sure.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:58 am

Through a short series of fortunate events I ended up getting this game for $10, brand new all sealed up and whatnot, the "greatest hits" edition though. It's awesome, like I thought it would be. I am a total suX0rZ n0ob though, but having loads of fun. Played arcade mode on "Easy," spent one hour fighting Seth only to finally give up. Easy my ass!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:33 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Through a short series of fortunate events I ended up getting this game for $10, brand new all sealed up and whatnot, the "greatest hits" edition though. It's awesome, like I thought it would be. I am a total suX0rZ n0ob though, but having loads of fun. Played arcade mode on "Easy," spent one hour fighting Seth only to finally give up. Easy my ass!!

Set the fight's to only 1 fight.. that way you only have to beat seth once to win.. this will allow you to UNLOCK everythign in very little time..
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:56 am

BUMP!

SSFIV is out now.

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:08 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:BUMP!

SSFIV is out now.

I've been whomping ass with Juri
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Genau, so I did end up trading in and getting SUPER SF 4 and I am glad I did. For the price of a small amount of DLC, I got what really could be sold as a full sequel. The new characters aren't just re-skinned old characters. They have new and interesting fighting styles and add for much greater variety in opponents in arcade mode. I actually find them a much better addition than the new characters added to regualr SF4 (Rufus and El Fuerte didn't really do anything for me, Viper and Abel were clever but I only occasionally played as Viper). The existing characters are better balanced and the last boss doesn't feel as cheap as before. The bonus stages cut things up nicely. Some of the new fight venues are beautiful.

They've added new cartoon openings and endings, they are even worse than the last ones. The animation is worse (usually just panning around on a still frame while a voice actor talks) and like in regular SF4, they contribute nothing, not even a semblance of a story, which I think is the point of them.

All and all, this is a good game and a good step up from the last SF4. I wouldn't pay full price, but if you can get it cheap, and you liked the last one, go for it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:05 am

Just when you thought it was over....here comes Ultra-SF4!

I went in for Super SF4, but didn't bother with the next add-on, the Arcade Edition. This new one will give you everything that came before it and some new shit. More characters (that Hugo motherfucker is enormous), modes, stages, costumes, blah blah blah. They say it will be a $15 dollar upgrade if you have a previous version, or $40 for this as a standalone game disc.

But rest assured, it will never stop. The words 'turbo' and 'strike' have yet to be used in the titles.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:03 am

So is that new character "Poison" a stripper on stage who beats the shit out of you? Cause I can get into that...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:04 pm

Poison is the manager of Hugo/Andore (both of them originally appeared as bad guys in Final Fight).

If you're going by Capcom Japan, she's a pre-op transsexual who just tucks it between her legs like Buffalo Bill. Capcom America's official line is that she got the chop.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 pm

:shock:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:50 pm

I'm sure Capcom will make her penis available as DLC.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Nintendo of America had a bit of a fit back when Final Fight came out because you played one of three men (i say one of three, if you didn't play Mayor Haggar then you're dead to me) and you walked around beating up people, sometimes with a big iron pipe, and one of those people happened to be Poison (and Roxy, which was a palette swap). Capcom Japan's stance was "What's the big deal? it's not a woman, it's a transvestite", but the sprites were changed into the more masculine Sid/Billy design for the American SNES, Gameboy and Wii versions.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 am

I remember Nintendo was struggling with its family-friendly image. I remember the first Mortal Kombat game being censored as well, so that most of the Fatalities were really toned down. Instead of Kano ripping your heart out, he just seemed to grab your chest and squeeze your nipple until you died.

I never played a lot of Final Fight back in the day. I was more of a Street of Rage man. All of those Double Dragon type games featured some sort of dominatrix style female villains. But I guess it makes sense that Nintendo America at that time would take a stand against violence against women and edit that out of their home version. I know that even on Sega some of those games also had other edits. In the Japanese versions you beat up villains in wheelchairs and one of the main bosses was a flagrant homosexual and those were changed for the North American releases.

I've done a bit of Google/Tumblr research and it turns out this Poison charcter is a bit of a fan favourite, especially when it comes to cosplay and fan-made hentai drawings. I am still surprised that they didn't throw Hagar into the SF series as a playable character since they already have the other two heroes. I have been playing a bunch of my fighting games lately and I think I did spot this Hugo character in the background of the construction site stage in Super SF4.

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

PreviousNext

Return to Games