Tie-ins: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:25 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:
junesquad wrote:
king_of_nowhere wrote:
erm, last time i checked, Lemmings wasn't a tie in or "franchise extension".

Sorry... I read the thread and thought that it would be cool if the brought back lemmings with today's technology... so I thought I would post it here.

Well, if you thought you'd post that here then you didn't really read the thread, the clue is in the title.
This thread is for Tie-ins, go start a Retro Remakes thread or something for the lemmings thing.

Maybe this is where the confusion comes from...

king_of_nowhere wrote:Alright, so they make a movie, a few months or years down the line they get the idea of turning the game into a movie.
Extending a franchise through a series of video games isn't always a good thing.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
king_of_nowhere wrote:
june squad wrote:
king_of_nowhere wrote:
erm, last time i checked, Lemmings wasn't a tie in or "franchise extension".

Sorry... I read the thread and thought that it would be cool if the brought back lemmings with today's technology... so I thought I would post it here.

Well, if you thought you'd post that here then you didn't really read the thread, the clue is in the title.
This thread is for Tie-ins, go start a Retro Remakes thread or something for the lemmings thing.

Maybe this is where the confusion comes from...

king_of_nowhere wrote:Alright, so they make a movie, a few months or years down the line they get the idea of turning the game into a movie.
Extending a franchise through a series of video games isn't always a good thing.

but wouldn't Junes post be about turning lemmings into a movie if that were the case?
He just wanted them to make another lemmings game.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:29 pm

True True
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby junesquad on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:True True

As I said, the whole confusion... FOR ME... came in that I had never heard of Evil Dead. I thought it was a series of video games they kept bringing back. That's it... Wahoo... I messed up...
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:07 pm

junesquad wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:True True

As I said, the whole confusion... FOR ME... came in that I had never heard of Evil Dead. I thought it was a series of video games they kept bringing back. That's it... Wahoo... I messed up...

Do you know who Bruce Campbell is?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bayouwolf on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:19 pm

junesquad wrote:

Geek.Card.Revoked.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Re: Tie-ins: E.T. The game

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:57 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:If there's a thread like this, i don't care.
The games section here needs a swift kick up the arse, or possibly some smelling salts.

Alright, so they make a movie, a few months or years down the line they get the idea of turning the movie into a game.

i guess this post wouldn't be complete without mentioning possibly the worst tie-in ever:

so erm, discuss.

Atari’s U.S. Business Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection
DAVID LIEBERMAN wrote:This should bring back wistful memories for gamers who remember how products including Pong, Tank, and the Atari 2600 shaped the video game industry back in the 1970s — and painful ones for media industry veterans. The French company that owns Atari said today that its U.S. business filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as it looks to sell or restructure the operation. Execs made the decision after Atari’s main shareholder and lender, investment firm BlueBay, said it couldn’t find anyone to buy the game company — and couldn’t continue to fund it. (Two of BlueBay’s funds are in liquidation.) The filing comes in advance of a credit facility due on March 31 as the company says it “has been starved for funds and unable to finance its continued growth.” Atari CEO Jim Wilson says that by auctioning the U.S. assets “we will seek to maximize the proceeds in the best interest of the company and all of its shareholders.”

It’s another sad turn for a company that had been a symbol of digital-age innovation in the early 1980s. One-time House Speaker Tip O’Neill referred to tech-oriented young members of his caucus as “Atari Democrats.” In its hey-day, Atari was owned by Steve Ross’ Warner Communications and served as the company’s main profit driver. But the poorly managed business collapsed as competitors flocked to the game market. Ross famously contributed to Atari’s woes by cutting an extravagant deal with director Steven Spielberg — who he hoped to lure to Warner Bros — to create a game based on the film E.T. The game was a colossal flop. Warner’s shares collapsed, and it sold Atari in 1984.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Tie-ins: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:09 am

kotaku:
We Streamed The Duck Dynasty Game, Because Why Not
Why is there a Duck Dynasty game on Steam right now? Good question. Let's find out together.
Update: Stream over, and the game was surprisingly not bad.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Games