Videogame sequels to films

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Videogame sequels to films

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:46 am

Just was thinking to myself what other videogames I'd like to see made as a sequel for different films. We already have Ghostbusters coming out sometime next year and we've had a sequel to "Hard Boiled" as a videogame and a prequel to "Riddick" already.

Maybe that would have been the way to go for a third "Escape From.." movie?

Or wouldn't it be fun and trippy to do a video game sequel to "Flash Gordan" just as long as they license the Queen theme music?
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:55 am

The Knights Of The Old Republic video games were fantastic ultra-Prequels to the Star Wars stories. Well, minus the weak ending to the second game.
There was also the Shadows Of The Empire game and the Dark Forces games that went along side the Original Trilogy.

I'd love to see the Star Wars franchise break out into more games, especially if they're as solid story-wise as the first KOTR game was. I'm ultra curious to know how the Force Unleashed game is going to be.

There have also been some Indiana Jones games, but I've never played one outside of the original Raiders game for the Atari 2600.

If the stories are well-written, video game sequels/prequels/etc. could be extremely cool.

I like the Flash Gordon idea - especially with the Queen music. That would friggin' ROCK!!!!
Oh how I'd love to be flying blind on a rocket cycle in the comforts of my own home.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:16 am

Fievel wrote:The Knights Of The Old Republic video games were fantastic ultra-Prequels to the Star Wars stories. Well, minus the weak ending to the second game.
There was also the Shadows Of The Empire game and the Dark Forces games that went along side the Original Trilogy.

I'd love to see the Star Wars franchise break out into more games, especially if they're as solid story-wise as the first KOTR game was.

You mean like the original Star wars, X-wing, Tie Fighter, Jedi Knight, Star Wars I,II,II on the Snes, Star Wars Battllefront, Lego Star wars amd respective sequels), Pod Racer....do you want me to carry on? ;)

Fievel wrote:I'm ultra curious to know how the Force Unleashed game is going to be.

Sword fighting!!!!!! Jedi Throws!!!!!! More Sword Fighting!!!! ARGHGHGHGHGHGH! MUST HAVE!

Fievel wrote:There have also been some Indiana Jones games, but I've never played one outside of the original Raiders game for the Atari 2600.

If the stories are well-written, video game sequels/prequels/etc. could be extremely cool.

Check out Indiana Jone and the Fate of Atlantis. Nothing like a SCUMM Lucasarts game, top notch.

Fievel wrote:I like the Flash Gordon idea - especially with the Queen music. That would friggin' ROCK!!!!
Oh how I'd love to be flying blind on a rocket cycle in the comforts of my own home.

Sounds like you're onto a winner there.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Chilli on Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:09 am

Jedi Knight

8)
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:22 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Fievel wrote:I'd love to see the Star Wars franchise break out into more games, especially if they're as solid story-wise as the first KOTR game was.

You mean like the original Star wars, X-wing, Tie Fighter, Jedi Knight, Star Wars I,II,II on the Snes, Star Wars Battllefront, Lego Star wars amd respective sequels), Pod Racer....do you want me to carry on? ;)

Ha.
Okay, so there are more Star Wars games than Children Of The Corn "sequels". That part is true.
What I mean though was games that had truly original an unique stories behind them - games that have nothing to do with the given storylines of the movies. Side stories? Cool! But I really don't want to play the movies themselves in a game again for a long time.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:19 pm

the three most recent EVIL DEAD games were sequels to army of darkness.

Ghostbusters on the MEGADRIVE/GENESIS took place in between GB1 & GB2.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:23 pm

Strangely enough I was pondering this very thought while out shopping today, and heres a thread on the very same thing. Spooky.
I think its a good idea, and I would like to see some good games set in the matrix universe. Im thinking either a prequel set in the early days of the matrix, such as the first uprising, or a continuation long after the movies, to see how the truce plays out over time.
Maybe playing as the next generation Neo and seeing how the world has been reshaped, and to what degree neo is now part of the system. Im kind of burnt out on the movies, but I think its a hell of a universe to explore, and I think the medium of videogames is perfect for it.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby MadCapsule on Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:37 pm

The Thing took place shortly after the end of the movie.

Damn. That reminds me: I never finished that game. Probably have to start over from the beginning.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Re: Videogame sequels to films

Postby papalazeru on Wed May 13, 2009 6:15 am

carlaxx wrote:I'd like to have a career in the video game design business-specifically, I would like to start and manage my own video game company. What should I study in college if I want to do this, and what skills will I need? I'm thinking of studying business administration, would that be the right way to go? Or should I go with simply something related to game design, i.e. computer science?

I would go with a Game Design course, at least that way you can work within your chosen industry and understand how it all works. Doing a business course and just turning up to a company makes you seem a bit of a Struggling Background Artist to some, imagine if you will, someone turning up at your door and telling you how to run your life when they don't actually know who you are.

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed May 13, 2009 9:04 am

Take 2 or Rockstar or whatever you call them, they have a studio somewhere up here & they usually take people on who've studied 3D animation. That's just joining an established company though.

If you want to start your own, learn a programming language & make something. Make an iphone app & give it away for free.
Or make something for the pc/xbox360 using the xna creators club tools.
Anything to get your name out there.

If you only want to be the guy that runs the company, take the Business Administration course & make friends with people who do the above, then get a bank loan or look for private investors.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Wed May 13, 2009 11:15 am

Why don't they make a film of Chaos, the old speccy game.

8 Wizards all just battling it out to kill each other :) No more story then that. Mind you, you could do the Streetfighter route and give them a vague backstory but if Michael Bay did it, you wouldn't need much else.

It would be like the ending of Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind

papalazeru

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed May 13, 2009 11:31 am

I really wanted them to make a prequel video game to Kill Bill set back when the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad was all tight and worked as a team. I see it as a brawler type game with heavy focus on swords. Bill would send you on different missions and play as the different characters.

I know there's a Highlander game in the works and I'm excited to see how it turns out. I'd love if they could make the action as furious as a brawler game but with the depth of gameplay of SoulCalibur and that's what I would want for my Kill Bill game too.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Return to Games