GEARS OF WAR 2

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

GEARS OF WAR 2

Postby Nordling on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Hell yes! The improved physics look amazing and I love that trailer. Nice and bloody. Funny, no guns in the Indy trailer and a chainsaw slaughter in the GOW.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Gears of War was great. I can't believe their actually gonna try to get this out in '08.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:14 pm

I liked GOW, but I'm so far behind in my game playing that I still haven't done much in Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Assassin's Creed.

I kinda found this pretty but really repetitive. Maybe only playing half of it was my downfall...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby tfactor on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:59 pm

Nordling, You rock!

...hell to the mutha fuckin YEAAAAHHHHHH! I will be there the day this hits stores

btw Assassin's Creed is crap! I made it through the game but it was seriously and painfully boring, the game literally put me to sleep several times. Yawwnn!! See?!?! even mentioning the stupid piece of crap makes me tired. Mass Effect on the other hand is an excellent game as is Devil May Cry 4. But I look forward to nothing more this year than GOW2.

I wonder if they are bringing back the whole cast? And will we finally get to see what the queen locust looks like? Perhaps also fight a brumak or two.

can't wait...
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:30 am

The rumor is 5 on 5 multiplayer. I hope it's true. Multiplayer is an area that needs to be refreshed IMO.

4 player co-op.

I'd like to see a storyline. And maybe a beginning/middle/end. A little more variety in the level design and setting. Little things. New guns. No more little screeching smurf monsters that explode.

I wouldn't say Assassins Creed is crap. If they could have been given another year it would have been a great game. The technology behind it is pretty amazing. Unfortunatly they needed to put it out and so it suffers from that.

Basically I can think of worse games.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:45 am

They need to hire the writers from BioWare to give them a good story. Cuz let's be honest here... Epic has not been the pinnacle of great storylines. Ever. Ok, maybe Jazz Jackrabbit, but beyond that!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:02 pm

I wasn't a fan of Gears of War too much (I think I was the only one) but,

The engine for GOW2 looks great, the multiple enemy simulation looked great.

It's not such a marked difference as say the Havok engine but it's still very impressive.

They used the real geeks too, the commentary is great. You know the guys not a great speaker but you just don't want to test his knowledge.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Yea, with the first one Epic did hire a writer for the story. The problem was with Epic from what I've read over the past couple years. It's laughable really. I wouldn't say they had a bad writer, but they probably designed the game assuming it wouldn't sell 5 million copies and that story wouldn't take any presedence over the rest of the game. Fortunately they can redeem themselves if they choose to. The money being thrown at it combined with the assets already created and engine running fine, they haven't got any excuses for the sequel. Sink or swim time for the franchise in terms of quality.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:12 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Yea, with the first one Epic did hire a writer for the story. The problem was with Epic from what I've read over the past couple years. It's laughable really. I wouldn't say they had a bad writer, but they probably designed the game assuming it wouldn't sell 5 million copies and that story wouldn't take any presedence over the rest of the game. Fortunately they can redeem themselves if they choose to. The money being thrown at it combined with the assets already created and engine running fine, they haven't got any excuses for the sequel. Sink or swim time for the franchise in terms of quality.

Good point. I think sequel is where the big bucks lie.

With games, most people will follow a series through on the strength of the first game.

Ever since Halo though, weapons have been slimmed down following a 'less is more' policy.

I wonder how their weapon system will change considering it was so integral to the first game.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:25 pm

papalazeru wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Yea, with the first one Epic did hire a writer for the story. The problem was with Epic from what I've read over the past couple years. It's laughable really. I wouldn't say they had a bad writer, but they probably designed the game assuming it wouldn't sell 5 million copies and that story wouldn't take any presedence over the rest of the game. Fortunately they can redeem themselves if they choose to. The money being thrown at it combined with the assets already created and engine running fine, they haven't got any excuses for the sequel. Sink or swim time for the franchise in terms of quality.

Good point. I think sequel is where the big bucks lie.

With games, most people will follow a series through on the strength of the first game.

Ever since Halo though, weapons have been slimmed down following a 'less is more' policy.

I wonder how their weapon system will change considering it was so integral to the first game.

Safe to assume it won't change much?

I can't imagine a brand new weapon set as dramatic as something like Halo (the best example of big name shooters). They have the majority covered. "We need rocks, machine guns, granades, and melee." There you have it. Gears strength is probably chainsaw everything. I'd put my money on an elaborate chainsaw duel system, beyond what we were shown in the teaser. And destructable environments. My expectations are much lower then they were for something like Halo 2. I don't expect as much. I shouldn't expect anything significant at all.

I'm a fan of the first game. But over time I broke it. It happens with everything. You play it long enough and you'll break the game. Spend 200 hours online and you'll get to that point every time. But looking back at "emergence day" I was blown away by the game. From cover to graphics, and active reloads to chainsaws. I hope they can capture that again.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:27 pm

I want them to expand on Dom's story a little more. Remember when he was asking that bum guy is he had seen any signs of his girl? What was that all about?

4-Player co-op should be a given. I could just TASTE it in Gears 1. The setup would've been perfect, except for the first mission when you hadn't met Baird and Cole yet.

Some new weapons would be nice. Smg's perhaps? I heard someone on another forum suggest a locust equivalent to the chainsaw gun but with a huge drill at the end. THAT would be awesome.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:16 am

@Sushi
Chainsaw duels have in fact been confirmed, on Kotaku now (Cant get the linky at the mo). But you can counter, and parry apparently. Could be interesting.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:06 am

Well, here's their "excuse" for the storyline... or at least, I'm giving them an out on this one.

There wasn't much time during the course of that particular story for exposition. It was kinda realistic, at least. These guys are out fighting an alien army, trying not to die. They're grunts, they're not sitting around for story time. Maybe we can get some backstory in this one, but I can't fault them too much. It's forgivable, it's not enjoyable. But whatever, the game was fun, and that's what mattered.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheAllSeeingEye on Sat May 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Check out the new video if you havent seen it. OMFG.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33775.html

And i would never have guessed that the guy who voices Marcus Fenix is Bender on Futurama..now i wont be able to stop smirking.
TheAllSeeingEye
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 19, 2008 11:34 am

I saw the video. I know that those Brumacs (those big things they're riding) were planned for the first game, so I'm not being negative whenI say that I think this is going to be Gears of War 1.5.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Sat May 24, 2008 8:07 pm

LOTS OF AWESOME MULTIPLAYER DETAILS!

Preview of an article that has tone of new details about Gears 2's multiplayer. "Meatflag" sounds like the greatest gametype ever.

Check it out...

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/05/24/gears-of-war-2-x360-multiplayer-details-confirmed/
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Re: GEARS OF WAR 2

Postby tfactor on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:06 pm

So last night our local Gamestop had a tournament for Gears of War 2. We didn't win this time but made it to the finals. anyway I just thought I'd do a little review on what we actually got to play.

The matches take really long to load but everyone was saying thats just because the maps include so much more detail and terrain than the 1st games maps. We played Avalanche & The River mostly but did get to see several others. All maps looks absolutely amazing! Plus the weapons have all been slightly modified and it really evens out the playing field. For example your shotgun takes much longer to reload for another shot. Within close enough proximity you can still make anyone into cog / locust jelly with a single shot but getting up close and personal isn't nearly as easy as it once was. The new system actually makes every bullet effect how your character moves, knocking you back or just screwing up your aim. So you can't really charge someone or they'll just shoot you down before you reach them.

The Campaign starts with a very cool video intro and plays almost exactly like the first campaign but with several awesome upgrades. The new weapons alone (morter launcher, flame thrower etc) are extremely fun to use once you get the hang of them. It takes a lot of getting used to, especially the morter laucher, but what little I played was great. I can't wait to play through the whole campaign.

There are 7-8 different kinds of multiplayer match types and you also have the optional Bots (AI characters) that you can have fighting with you side by side against friends or anyone online. The game type "Submission" was really cool - you have to knock someone down then pick them up and drag them back to your target area or base. meanwhile that persons teammates can shoot you but the capture acts like a shield to protect you from their bullets. Unfortunately you move very slow while holding a hostage but the concept and gameplay itself was really really fun.

Also the Lancer & chainsaw have been upgraded and it is one of the best equiped guns you start the game with. I found myself using the lancer much more - especially since if your opponent has his lancer out & you go to chainsaw them - the button smashing chainsaw duel begins! Be warned though; lots of these kids are a hell of a lot faster than the older generation of gamers. When it came to chainsaw battles we saw only ONE duel that resulted in a tie-then both characters were seperated oddly and had to re-engage their opponent.

Melee is not nearly the same as it was with the first game either. Its much harder to get that close to someone so i found myself barely using the red button (at least not nearly as much as I did for gears 1). The game has some flaws and gliches that still need to be ironed out - one of the finishing moves (for example) was being performed on open air while the opponent layed 10 feet away from the action, the person still got the kill but it was weird to watch Marcus punching an invisible target as his finishing move to the match.

If you liked gow you will love gow2! But the gameplay is NOT as similiar as one would expect. Its like they took all the biggest complaint people had about gow and created a game that is everything you wanted in the 1st game. Plus the maps themselves have traps and things that effect gameplay - lots of little surprises happen and I think its looking like it will be one of the best games of 2008

Tonight we are heading over to pick up our copies of GOW2 (@ midnight) and we hope to see some of you online later tonight. Overall I would say this is a game that will keep Gears fans busy for good amount of time. The "Horde" gametype alone is someothing that you can revisit but there is just so much more to gow2 that I don't think you'll grow bored very quickly. Plus they are planning to add a bunch more maps & stuff through XBL but we're still a couple months away on any of that stuff.

Thats all I got for now but thanks for reading!
T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:23 pm

This game has been a bane upon my exisistance in the last week. I cant watch TV because my roommates hog up the one calbe working tv with this damn game....
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:27 pm

I've played through about half of the game, and I can honestly say this is better than the original. If you liked GOW, pick up GOW2 because it didn't change what wasn't broken, and it made some stuff bigger and better. It's just a fun, visceral, cinematic experience.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:02 pm

GEARS OF WAR!! ARAAAGARAGGAAAHHH!

That's how this game makes me feel. The campaign was good up until the ending, which gave me the feeling you get when you're playing a really great demo...and then it ends. The best part in the whole game was seeing THE COLE TRAIN for the first time again.

Still fuckin' shit up in multiplayer, which is as gory and visceral as ever. Can't say I dig the pussified shotgun, but Submission is, in fact, the coolest gametype ever.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Return to Games