Splatterhouse Remake/Reboot

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu May 08, 2008 4:16 pm

Sega-16.com wrote:
Splatterhouse fans rejoice! Rick is another 16-bit star on the verge of a comeback, and the latest issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly reports that there's a new installment in the works! Developer Bottlerocket (of Mark of Kri fame) is behind the project, which will appear sometime next year. Featuring artwork by famed comic artist Simon Bisley, this looks like it could be more than just an upgrade. Bottlerocket has produced some awesome animation in the past, and the treatment it could give Rick Taylor and his macabre brethren leaves us more than just a bit curious.

This new Splatterhouse isn't a sequel either, but rather a reboot of the franchise. There's some awesome action here folks, and you simply have to see the game in motion to appreciate how much potential this game has to rock. My favorite tidbit of info is that as Rick takes damage, he manifests it physically in different ways, from blood stains across his chest to actually being maimed down to the bone. Luckily, he regenerates his energy Halo-style, and the power of the Mask of Evil cures him of his injuries, allowing more gore in Rick's efforts to save Jennifer from the macabre Dr. West. Just check out this image from EGM to see how cool this looks! Did I mention that he still has his berserker mode?

Classic weapons also return, like the 2x4 and the shotgun, and some old bosses make a reappearance as well! Biggie Man, the vile creature with chainsaws for hands, is back, as are those nasty leeches. There seems to be no shortage of undead baddies for Rick to slaughter, and Bottlerocket really seems to want this installment to live up to its name. And I remember when we were all awed just by smacking enemies against a wall with the 2x4! We've come a long way...

We'll be interviewing someone from Bottlerocket soon, and rest assured, we'll be here with a full preview and a full hands-on when this bad boy is released! In the meantime, take a gander at the regenerating character model from the new game. Rick just seems to get meaner-looking with every sequel!

Last edited by King Of Nowhere on Thu May 08, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Thu May 08, 2008 4:33 pm

where's havoc?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu May 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Running mo-cap? :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu May 08, 2008 5:04 pm

another pic

From 1up.com's preview
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:24 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I miss TURBO GRAFIX 16...

Bonks Adventure AND Splatterhouse WERE THE KING SHIT back in the day
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Splatterhouse Remake/Reboot

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:25 am

gameplay video.

Looks good.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:01 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:gameplay video.

Looks good.

Really?

The dire metalish sountrack, the prince of persia-like darting about, the QTE's, we've seen and done this all before except now it's got blood.

I was really stoked when I first heard about this considering I loved the old arcade originals but I have to say, Splatterhouse has tried to catch up with the times but from scrabbling to climb out the grave, it's taken 4-5 years too long and now we've seen it all and done it all before, probably with much more finesse.

Plus, that kiddy scream was just yuk.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:33 am

I don't think the song in the clip is the actual soundtrack.
They're just trying to give it a "heavy" feel.

Seriously, weird enemies & the ability to beat the shit outta them is all i want from a Splatterhouse game.
What more do you need?
Do you want them to turn it into Castlevania, where you've gotta equip mask upgrades & other bullshit before fighting?
Do you want it like Tomb Raider, where you spend most of the time taking in the scenery & getting lost or pissed off with the camera?
Blood & fucked up enemies are all that's required.

Truth be told, i'm a little worried at the lack of the house.
They can't really call the game Splatter though.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:31 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:I don't think the song in the clip is the actual soundtrack.
They're just trying to give it a "heavy" feel.

Do you want them to turn it into Castlevania, where you've gotta equip mask upgrades & other bullshit before fighting?
Do you want it like Tomb Raider, where you spend most of the time taking in the scenery & getting lost or pissed off with the camera?
Blood & fucked up enemies are all that's required.

Truth be told, i'm a little worried at the lack of the house.
They can't really call the game Splatter though.

Unfortunately, the 'heavy' feel comes off as childish to me.

As for turning it into another game, that's what it looks like it's doing.

I'm not giving up hope yet though. I'll try to look on the optimistic side but I would have preferred a game of just sheer barbarity and beating the fuck outta anything that moved. That would have made me happy :) but it looks like this is going under the pretence of being more...which would look like less.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:06 am

I think I'll stick to the Wii version for now! old-skool, baby! :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:28 pm

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Return to Games