Highlander: The Video Game

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Highlander: The Video Game

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:22 pm

I've just looked at some promotional material for a Highlander video game coming out this fall. It has no connection with the upcoming remake of the 1986 Russel Mulcahy film. Apparently it's the result of Eidos software buying the rights to the franchise years ago, and so I think it might actually stand a chance of being good, unlike promotional tie-ins.

I like the original film and its mythos and world, and I like swordfighting. I'm not expecting the greatest thing ever, but if it's as good as Stranglehold or Conan, I'll go home happy.

I'm currently playing a game called Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, which has an open world sandbox mission-based game like Crackdown combined with a fighting game like DOA4 (only much more simplified). It would be cool if the Highlander game were similiar only with the fighting being modelled more after Soulcalibur, which I am very excited to the fourth installment of.

What do you guys think?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Must be on Wii and must have Wii-Remote Quickenings.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 pm

Sorry, I forgot to post a link to the trailer earlier in case any of you want to check this out:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=e5FXwj7uZwE
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:24 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Sorry, I forgot to post a link to the trailer earlier in case any of you want to check this out:

Thanks for that.

There's nada of gameplay in there which could be a bad sign.

The combat system has got to be shit hot to differentiate it from other games, especially with a sword.

Let's see a similar Soul Calibre system employed. I love their control system beyond compare.... that and Virtua Fighters.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:32 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:Must be on Wii and must have Wii-Remote Quickenings.

+ 1
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:46 pm

Here's a link to a site with some screenshots. The one with the helicopter is brilliant.

http://tinyurl.com/6zl4zy
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:52 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:Must be on Wii and must have Wii-Remote Quickenings.

+ 1

Sadly, no Wii and thus no Wii remote.

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Bloo on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Interesting concept, one that is ripe ofr a video game, just never thought they would actually do. Anyways, thanks for the heads up on it buddy, I'll be on the lookout
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Here's a link to a site with some screenshots. The one with the helicopter is brilliant.

http://tinyurl.com/6zl4zy

Oh c'mon. If that heli's not going to chop his head off :wink:

Would have been nice if it went down the Deus Ex route. At this rate, it looks like a hack 'n' slash.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:43 pm

I remember playing the pants Highlander game for the old Atari Jaguar. It got dire reviews from everybody apart from the officially endorsed Atari magazines.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:16 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:Sorry, I forgot to post a link to the trailer earlier in case any of you want to check this out:

Thanks for that.

There's nada of gameplay in there which could be a bad sign.

The combat system has got to be shit hot to differentiate it from other games, especially with a sword.

Let's see a similar Soul Calibre system employed. I love their control system beyond compare.... that and Virtua Fighters.

i have heard that when you decapitate an opponent, like in the movies the only way to kill fellow immortals, your character receives the abilities/powers of your fallen foe.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:14 am

I don't think the trailer only showing cinematic sequences is a "bad sign" as much as just a marketting choice. They've decided to sell the story and the world first.

From the screenshots it looks like it might be a combination of a two types of sword games. I hope so. If it was a standard hack 'n slash when you're just fighting mortals and doing regualr mission but then goes into Soulcalibur mode when you fight another immortal that would get great.

The trailer and screenshots show the character living through Roman times, Japanese feudal era, and modern NYC and fighting all sorts of baddies. They say the main character is Owen MacLeod. I don't remember the television show, so I don't know if he was the main character on it or if he's a new character who's supposed to be Connor's father or something.

Anyway, the game looks great and I'm expecting a good story. We'll wait and see as more information becomes available on the control system.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:47 am

I want this to be good.

But as you said it depends on the control system. It's promising, I'll give it that.

papalazeru

Re: Highlander: The Video Game

Postby EdmundDante on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:34 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I've just looked at some promotional material for a Highlander video game coming out this fall. It has no connection with the upcoming remake of the 1986 Russel Mulcahy film. Apparently it's the result of Eidos software buying the rights to the franchise years ago, and so I think it might actually stand a chance of being good, unlike promotional tie-ins.

I like the original film and its mythos and world, and I like swordfighting. I'm not expecting the greatest thing ever, but if it's as good as Stranglehold or Conan, I'll go home happy.

I'm currently playing a game called Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, which has an open world sandbox mission-based game like Crackdown combined with a fighting game like DOA4 (only much more simplified). It would be cool if the Highlander game were similiar only with the fighting being modelled more after Soulcalibur, which I am very excited to the fourth installment of.
What do you guys think?

yeah! your right, this have been discussing in all gaming forum. good review!
"You're cheap knife won't kill a Dark warrior." - The Dark Prince
EdmundDante
GLIB

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:19 am

There can be only one & it was on the Jaguar
joystiq wrote:Though Square confirmed the canning to IGN, it would not share details as to exactly why the project went south. We heard that it was due to the development team's proclivity for decapitating one another with giant broadswords, citing "research," but keep in mind that we just totally made that up.
Last edited by King Of Nowhere on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Yeah, I think it even got a review from the Angry Video Game Nerd.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Return to Games