MORTAL KOMBAT

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Who do you want to win?

MK
33%
DC
33%
Marvel
No votes
Whoever wins, we lose
33%

Total votes : 3

MORTAL KOMBAT

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:05 pm

The next MK game for the Xbox and Playstation.
This could be the best one yet!

MORTAL KOMBAT: ARMAGEDDON

THE FINAL DROP OF BLOOD

"The theme of finality came up when we were determining whether we should move on to the next generation or create one last game for the current consoles," recalls Mortal Kombat's creator, Ed Boon. "Finality drove the whole story. It drove the feature sets. It's the last step in this generation. By wrapping things up, we can move on to the next generation with the slate wiped clean."

Leaving the current generation with the series in it's current state is comparable to turning off Star Wars before the Death Star is destroyed, or The Lord of the Rings before the One Ring is cast back into the fire. In a way, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon will bring with it an end to an era -- the final battle for a generation. When the last drop of blood is spilled, Shang Tsung's deadly tournament will likely reach its conclusion. "I want to see a pan shot over a battlefield that is smoldering and littered with bodies," says Boon. "It's going to be this massive culmination of things. I can't imagine that we'll come back [in the next generation] and not have a Sub-Zero or Scorpion, but my feeling is that I would like to introduce as much newness as is possible."

To ensure that all of the loose ends are properly tied up, every character that has ever thrown a punch in a Mortal Kombat tournament is suiting up for another round in Armageddon. "We really want to play up the nostalgia factor of it," comments Boon. Just looking at the roster of 60-plus combatants will assuredly bring back a flood of memories for fans. Did you ever really think you would see Stryker again?

This immense roster is just a small taste of the new material that will be included in this explosive finale. This installment will also house the reinvention of the Fatality system, the implementation of the series' first create-a-fighter mode, the evolution of combat through aerial maneuvers, plus the transformation of Konquest mode -- which could very well double as a stand alone game like Shaolin Monks.

"We can only do this mass amount of content because it's the current generation," injects Boon. "We're not reinventing the display engine." As the future of the series looms ever closer, Armageddon will serve as a bridge between generations, bringing with it a sense of closure for fans, while still leaving the series open for rebirth.

CHARACTERS

Shang Tsung, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Shinnok, Shujinko, Kai, Kung Lao, Quan Chi, Reiko, Kabal, Kano, Cyrax, Sonya, Jarek, Stryker, Rain, Ashrah, Sindel, Kitana, Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, Reptile, Baraka, Raiden, Kenshi, Li Mei, Dairou, Sareena, Tanya, Darrius, Noob, Smoke, Nightwolf, Ermac, Mavado, Kobra, Kira, Fujin, Frost, Havik, Jax, Bo' Rai Cho, Hotaru, Drahmin, Mokap, Mileena, Jade, Sektor, Hsu Hao, Nitara, The Dragon King, Kintaro, Shao Kahn, Goro, Sheeva, Moloch, Blaze.

INFO

Features 60+ characters
Create a character
Create a Fatality
Shaolin Monks style Konquest
New krypt to unlock
Directional throws
Air combat
Online Play
Rumored October release
For PS2 and Xbox

http://www.mkoutworld.net/?id=games/mka
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:26 pm

hot like fiah
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:24 pm

IGN has an article on this game with new screens and a video:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/691/691413p1.html
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Carolian on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:45 am

Holy fucking hell, this makes me happy. I love the MK games, and shit like this--the attention to old-school fans--is why.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:29 am

From Gamespot and Newsarama: The next MK game will be Mortal Kombat vs DC!

***newsarama is down to the NYCC***
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:38 am

Little blood and no fatalaties. So whats Mortal about it? Are they all drunk instead?
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Sounds good, I always thought MK2 was the best fighting game I've ever played. I took a long break from gaming (the last system I owned was the SuperNintento) and recently bought an X360 and love it, but find some of the fun of the old games has been lost. I've mostly been playing DOA 4 because it's got that cheese factor I love so much. The character design is pretty good and I appreciate the Russ Meyer aspect to it. But none of the characters can jump high enough to make jumping worthwhile and nobody shoots projectiles such as fireballs leaving a lot to be desired. Hopefully a new MK game will bring back what I love about fighting games.

I really wanted them to make a Matrix fighting game where you could play for Neo, Smith, Niobi, a Ghost Twin, Trinity etc and fight like in those movies, but I guess we got Enter The Matrix instead. Shame.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:56 pm

@Spandau
Have you tried crackdown? Hands down the most fun I have had on my 360 so far, and nice and cheap now. Demo probably still on Live (Not a fighter and off topic, but just wanted to say)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:58 pm

You should play PATH of NEO Spandau....
It is good and you get to play the Chosen One.....

I second the The MATRIX beat em up!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:00 pm

No, I haven't tried Crackdown, but it looks totally like my type of thing. Kinda like if they took Shaft instead of Murphy when they made Robocop.

Tell me, what's the control like? If it's one of these GTA: San Andreas autotargetting things where the game picks what I'd like to shoot at and lets me shuffle through the possibilities then count me out. I like the targetting when I choose where to shoot. And is there driving? I love driving!

I've got Stranglehold on the go, but I'm stuck in one really hard level. I always see Crackdown at the used videogame store for like $15 bucks, so I might pick it up.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:03 pm

Yeah, the targetting is pretty cool, and it is the selection option, but to be honest its more fun building up your strength and throwing cars at people. (should maybe take this to the 360 thread if you want anymore info)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

MORTAL KOMBAT

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:21 pm

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE UNIVERSE IS NOW BALANCED!!!!

(I have to go change my underwear...)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

MORTAL KOMBAT

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Sounds good, I always thought MK2 was the best fighting game I've ever played. I took a long break from gaming (the last system I owned was the SuperNintento) and recently bought an X360 and love it, but find some of the fun of the old games has been lost. I've mostly been playing DOA 4 because it's got that cheese factor I love so much. The character design is pretty good and I appreciate the Russ Meyer aspect to it. But none of the characters can jump high enough to make jumping worthwhile and nobody shoots projectiles such as fireballs leaving a lot to be desired. Hopefully a new MK game will bring back what I love about fighting games.

I really wanted them to make a Matrix fighting game where you could play for Neo, Smith, Niobi, a Ghost Twin, Trinity etc and fight like in those movies, but I guess we got Enter The Matrix instead. Shame.

While I still game, it not like when I owned SNES... You are right.. alot of the fun has been taken out of games today...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:14 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:33 am

Great stuff FG. Have they announced which DC characters will be joining the cast?
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fawst on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:08 am

No Fatalities?

Weak.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:16 am

Bring back Friendships!

They worked :!:
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:27 am

Haha, leave it to the Bats to pull some fatalities nonetheless.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby captainbrose on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 am

i would have loved to see a fatality for the Joker.

At least maybe we get a Sub Zero vs Mr. Freeze
captainbrose
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:57 am

Evil Hobbit wrote:Haha, leave it to the Bats to pull some fatalities nonetheless.

Ironically (and this is heavy speculation as I don't know what's been happening to the MK franchise since #3) it might be Bats' fault that there aren't fatalities in this game... y'know, maybe DC found the idea of fatalities objectionable and the MK folks complied 'cause they were desperate for the franchise cross-over boost this game might get 'em. Like I said though, I'm totally speculating here...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:11 am

Will there be a "Punch Through Time" bonus round?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:14 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Evil Hobbit wrote:Haha, leave it to the Bats to pull some fatalities nonetheless.

Ironically (and this is heavy speculation as I don't know what's been happening to the MK franchise since #3) it might be Bats' fault that there aren't fatalities in this game... y'know, maybe DC found the idea of fatalities objectionable and the MK folks complied 'cause they were desperate for the franchise cross-over boost this game might get 'em. Like I said though, I'm totally speculating here...

Sounds like good speculation though. DC wouldnt want their characters sullied by Fatalities and the like.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

MK Vs DC..Demo soon.

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:34 pm

From wiki,

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe is an upcoming scheduled crossover fighting game from Midway Games in the Mortal Kombat series, which will contain characters from both the Mortal Kombat franchise and the DC Comics Universe. The game's story will be written by comic writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray. This will be the first game in the franchise that will not bear the "M" Rating as confirmed by Ed Boon in a video interview.

Epic Games reports that the game is being developed using their Unreal Engine 3 and the release has been announced for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 platforms.[3] A specific release date has not yet been revealed, but a playable game demo is expected to be available in E3 2008 between July 15 and July 17.

Another reason for getting a PS3 for me.

Full article here

Demo available soon. I wait with anticipation. This looks awesome.

The worst part about this....
The game has had a mixed initial reception after it's announcement, mainly in response to Ed Boon's anticipation statements saying that the game would be "serious", "gritty" and "a return to the roots of the series"[citation needed].

The game will deviate from traditional Mortal Kombat roots due to the restrictions put forth by DC Comics on their characters. The company's policies prevent their intellectual property from getting involved in the kind of violence one would expect from a Mortal Kombat game. This restriction has led Midway to remove fatalities, or at least heavily modify the concept, so that they can aim for a "T" (Teen) rating for the game.[7] This move has caused mixed feelings and trepidation [8]as it will be the first traditional Mortal Kombat game in the series not to receive an M rating, excluding the T rated Game Boy ports. Ed Boon has said that he will work out a finishing system that will make fans of the game happy, while still staying within the restrictions that DC Comics has set. Ed has confirmed that the game will be brutal and gory, but not as over the top as past MK titles.

Still, I hold hope.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:41 pm

You guys remember Killer Instinct? I remember Killer Instinct. You could do like 900 hit combos. Except they weren't really combos, cuz you were just knocking a guy like a mile into the air, then hitting him again when he came down. But whatever. I think you could play as a Raptor or something. So that was kinda cool. Whatever happened to that game?
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:46 pm

What's the point in having a Mortal Kombat gamr when you remove the most distintive feature of the game?

I remember Killer instinct, the combos really increased the gap between good and not so good (me :oops: ) players
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:58 pm

Al Shut wrote:What's the point in having a Mortal Kombat gamr when you remove the most distintive feature of the game?

I remember Killer instinct, the combos really increased the gap between good and not so good (me :oops: ) players

I got an Ultra Combo with Jade once but for the life of me can't remember what the button combination was.

Download MAME and try it out for yourself.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:02 pm

Fuck ultra combos, what I needed but never learned the trick was a combo breaker
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:03 pm

ahem......
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Three words: Hoe. Lee. Shit.

(*begins saving up for a PS3*)
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:30 pm

I have to admit that seeing Batman fighting Sub-Zero was cool as shit, but the no fatalities thing kills it for me. That insures a non-purchase.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Re: MORTAL KOMBAT

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Yeah, this series was all about the gore.

And even though it's kinda funny to see Batman in there, I'd rather just another MK game. Maybe make one superhero comic book guy as a special unlockable like that Halo person in DOA4, but having a bunch of comic book characters kinda makes me less interested and dillutes the overall look of the game. Unless it was MK Versus Archie & Friends, Jughead would eat you up like a pile o' burgers.

So, no, I'll be shelling out the cash for Soulcalibur 4 next month and pass on this.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:03 pm

Here's the design for the game's Bahtmon. I think the lines on his suit look stupid. Plus his nose is non-existent.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:55 pm

From slashfilm:
“All of the MK characters and all of the DC villains will have fatalities. The DC heroes who don’t kill that often will have brutalities that will function just like fatalities but don’t actually kill the opponent.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby matalo on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:41 pm

Been holding off on PS3 for while. The only thing I remotely had interest in it for was the Blu-Ray player. This game, though peaks my interest. That and if Tiger Woods 09 comes out soon.
matalo
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:34 am

From Newsarama: SDCC '08 - Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe Panel

When the lights came back up, the first thing Boon mentioned was the question that was on everyone’s mind, if you play as Superman, how could you lose? He then reminded audience of the Man of Steel’s non-mineral related weakness: Magic. Palmiotti then said that the game’s story would explain that when the magic-heavy MK universe merged with the DCU, it brought Superman closer down to earth, but didn’t rob him entirely of his powers.

Boon then described some of the special features in the new game, a close combat system that replaces automatic throws where the camera zooms in on the fighters and the players engage in an ‘Active-Time’ mini-game to deliver or block damage. A similar mechanic is involved when one player knocks another down to lower level of the stage. The players exchange blows, trying to get the upper hand to deliver a powerful final attack.

Boon then gave the announced roster to date, on the DC side: Batman, Superman, Flash, Catwoman, and Shazam. And on the MK side, Sub Zero, Sonya, Shang Tsung and Liu Kang.

For San Diego, however, he was ready to announce four more. On the MK side, Jax, and Kitana, and to the whoops and hollers of fans in attendance, DC’s Green Lantern (image shown looked like Hal Jordan) and the Joker.

MK vs Street Fighter (or vs. Marvel). Boon says he wanted to do all of them, but there are a lot of creative control difficulties trying to get them all to work together.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:44 pm

TheButcher wrote:From slashfilm:
“All of the MK characters and all of the DC villains will have fatalities. The DC heroes who don’t kill that often will have brutalities that will function just like fatalities but don’t actually kill the opponent.”

This game just got a whole lot more interesting.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby buster00 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:36 am

TheButcher wrote:Boon then gave the announced roster to date, on the DC side: Batman, Superman, Flash, Catwoman, and Shazam.

"Goddammit, STOP CALLING ME THAT!"

I mean, it's great news about the "brutalities," or whatever, but still...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:51 am

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:04 am

The more I read and see of this the more I'm changing my opinion on it. The gameplay actually looks really fun, especially that whole fighting while freefalling stuff looks awesome. And there looks like a healthy amount of blood.

I'm a sucker for fighting games and so I'll probably pick this up. Catwoman looks great.

http://www.worldscollide.com/kombatants ... Render.jpg
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:51 am

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe entire 22 character roster

Baraka
Batman
Catwoman
Darkseid
Deathstroke
Flash
Green Lantern
Jax
Joker
Kano
Kitana
Lex Luthor
Liu Kang
Raiden
Scorpion
Shang Tsung
Shao Khan
Shazam
Sonya
Sub Zero
Superman
Wonderwoman

Edit: Removed spoiler text from character roster.
Last edited by Hermanator X on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:36 am

Looking at the demos for this game the only characters that really look out of place are Shazam and Wonder Woman, their costumes just don't jive with the whole Mortal Kombat gothic ninja look. Wonder Woman just looks like some cheerleader who got lost and ended up in hell or something. But the rest of them intigrate pretty well, even Superman. And Catwoman was born to be in the MK universe.

I'm now really looking forward to this.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby instant_karma on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:01 am

Just watched the trailer. This looks a lot more fun than I initially thought it would be. Catwoman does indeed seem to have some pretty cool moves.

buster00 wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Boon then gave the announced roster to date, on the DC side: Batman, Superman, Flash, Catwoman, and Shazam.

"Goddammit, STOP CALLING ME THAT!"

I mean, it's great news about the "brutalities," or whatever, but still...

Didn't Captain Marvel Jr take up the name Shazam, along with Captain Marvel's old costume? Maybe it's Freddy Freeman and not Billy Bateson in the game.

I'm a pedantic ass
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:57 am

Does anybody know the actual release date for this game?

I seem to get a variety of dates in the late November time period depending on where I go. Amazon seems to list as coming out the latest whereas Wikipedia has it coming the earliest. I didn't see any release date on the official website, but maybe it was hidden somewhere in some news update.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:03 pm

21st of November according to yesterdays Inside Xbox thingy.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:06 pm

Thanks, Travis. I'm going to ask for this for Christmas, so I'll tell my mum when it's coming out so she can buy it for me.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:20 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Thanks, Travis. I'm going to ask for this for Christmas, so I'll tell my mum when it's coming out so she can buy it for me.

Well Spandau......
You should thank KING OF NOWHERE.
Those damn American Psycho AV's...
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:14 am

Whoops.

Well thank you Patrick Bateman, wherever you are.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:04 am

They make an allstar MK vs. DC game and leave JOHNNY CAGE out!!!!!!!!!111111111!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Fuck em'!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:48 am

Yeah, I wanted to see Johnny Cage do his split nut punch to Superman too. Oh well.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Next

Return to Games