Zero Punctuation - video game reviews

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

What do you think?

It sucks!
No votes
It Rocks!
100%
Couldn't care less
No votes
King Kong
No votes

Total votes : 5

Zero Punctuation - video game reviews

Postby tfactor on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:23 pm

A friend of mine introduced this to me recently and I think this guy is just brilliant. He does these amazingly brutal video game reviews using very primitive visuals but his wit is exceptional and I find myself now craving his next installment, which seem to come out very randomly. Anyway you can check out his site Zero Punctuation -RIGHT HERE

FYI this is semi NSFW but mainly just because of the cursing - the videos are sort of safe. Also they just started adding all this crap advertisement & shit to the end of all this guys reviews, but I normally stop watching or shut it off once the game review is over. You however can do as you please but I'm interested in your feedback. I recommend watching "Mailbag Showdown" - thats one of my personal favs.

Enjoy!
T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Re: Zero Punctuation - video game reviews

Postby King Psyz on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:36 pm

I'm pretty certain they come out every wednesday, but I could be mistaken
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby ChaoticMoira on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:01 pm

HAHAHAHAHA! I just watched the one about Turok. Fucking hysterical! I am definitely going to bookmark this!
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby instant_karma on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:34 pm

He's the Charlie Brooker of videogames.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby ChaoticMoira on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:33 pm

instant_karma wrote:He's the Charlie Brooker of videogames.

Except also funnier.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:15 am

Yeah, it really reminded me of his stuff.
Same kinda style.

ChaoticMoira wrote:

Except also funnier.

Living in California, how do you know who Brooker is?
Was TV Go Home really that popular?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby ChaoticMoira on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:51 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Living in California, how do you know who Brooker is?
Was TV Go Home really that popular?

Never saw TV Go Home. Some of your people told my people, then I youtubed him. He's alright. I think this Ben Croshaw guy is better.

But then, I am a gamer so his topic appeals to me. All I saw Brooker do was talk conspiracy theory fluff and show me some studly kids. Perhaps I didn't see the right episodes.. Conspiracy theory shit always makes me :roll:
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:52 pm

Youtube Screenwipe.

TV Go Home was basically a parody the Radio Times (British TV guide owned by the BBC) that ultimately led to the Nathan Barley TV show.
The Archive can be found here

He also writes for The Guardian. I'm guessing they don't sell that in the US, so check out some of his articles online if you have the time.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:53 am

AHHHHHhhhhhh damnit!!!!! You got in first! I was recommended this site last week and I've watched them all.... and I was going to mention this to the Zone but you won.... :P DAMN IT! YOU BEAT ME TOO IT!!!

Anyway, it's very funny, mostly true and some friggen hilarious insults... gold. The animations are sweet as too... simple and too the point but very entertaining. Even if you don't like games you'll find this dude funny.

EDIT: And it's released every Thursday I believe.... gotta love that UK/Aussie bastard.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ChaoticMoira on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:48 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:EDIT: And it's released every Thursday I believe.... gotta love that UK/Aussie bastard.

If their late. The site says Wednesday.

I agree, gamer or not, this guy is funny. I watched all of them, even to the few games I knew nothing about, and still laughed my ass off.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:48 am

Charlie Brooker used to be primarily a video game critic, ah back in the Halcyon days of "Zero" magazine, where he wrote with such luminaries as Jane Goldman and David Mcandleless.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:17 am

Oh yeah, and if you like graphic adventure games then Yahtzee also makes some blinding little (ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1), crude graphicked, atmospheric shockers that'll make you want to smooch up to Maniac Mansion, kick it in its purple and green tentacles and prove once and for all that YOU have been weaned!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:49 am

magicmonkey wrote:Oh yeah, and if you like graphic adventure games then Yahtzee also makes some blinding little (ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1), crude graphicked, atmospheric shockers that'll make you want to smooch up to Maniac Mansion, kick it in its purple and green tentacles and prove once and for all that YOU have been weaned!

Which can be found here: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:15 am

Hermanator X wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:Oh yeah, and if you like graphic adventure games then Yahtzee also makes some blinding little (ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1), crude graphicked, atmospheric shockers that'll make you want to smooch up to Maniac Mansion, kick it in its purple and green tentacles and prove once and for all that YOU have been weaned!

Which can be found here: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/

Sweet link. :D
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby ChaoticMoira on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:44 pm

Yeah I just discovered that a few days ago. I downloaded "Five Days A Stranger". I haven't got around to playing just yet though.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:39 am

I really enjoy the reviews in this.

Most of it is just hatred for gaming for the sake of comedy. If he really hated games so much he'd just stop playing them.

It is funny though and there are glimmers of truth in some of the reviews, quite insightful about the fast traveling in Oblivion
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby tfactor on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:05 pm

So sorry MonkeyM666! Really didn't mean to steal your cherry flavored lolly pop thunder there; but trust me - I know exactly what you mean (look at the last 3 posts). btw the fact that I specifically mentioned Monkey in the bit about people beating me to annoucing movie trailers, is purely coincidental. Or is it? :twisted:

Seriously though happy to hear some of you like this thing as much as I do. I watched the Army of Two review he did and LMAO! I could not agree more with everythng the guy said about this game, I even got stuck on one of those stupid Pull Up situations he mentioned specifically. However I should also add that his reviews give a certain insight into aspects of the game play which normally you don't find in reviews. That being of course the brutal TRUTH!

I'd never heard of Charlie Brooker or his work .. so I also youtubed him and just watched "the ten biggest cocks in advertising" and it was funny enough that I wil be looking up the rest of his stuff when I get a chance. Thanks for the fyi

On a completely unrelated note - I would like to annouce that Gamestop in Myrtle Beach had a Gears of War Tournament this past Friday night and the Winner was none other than the Zone's very own Athenabodicea. Amongst the "pro" Gears fans in attendance who she destroyed was a guy that actually had a gears of war Tattoo on his shoulder :o It was awesome! She won a ton of microsoft points, a t-shirt and the title of Gear of War Champion (aka Shotgun Queen) amonst the local gamers. I on the other hand won only a t-shirt for getting into the top 4 but was ironically knocked out of the contest by a friend of mine (who I had embarrassing just shown how to play this game not 4 hours earlier) he is a true beginer. Yeah I know - OUCH! but hey even a broken clock is right twice a day... right?!? :oops:

Anyway just thought I'd share - I'm working on getting a picture to post but it wasn't my camera that blinded me temporarily. Send athena a congrats message though - she very well deserves it. And if any of you guys ever want to play anything on 360 online - athenabodicea and trevorfactor are waiting to kill you!
k love ya bye bye
T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:12 pm

T...you're back. Awesome.

Nice to hear that you're Ms is beating the shit outta some hardcore geeks.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:29 pm

His review of E3 is up and its a gem. I dont laugh out loud too often for real when I watch stuff on my own, but this had me howling. A team up with the southpark team would surely provide the equivalent of the monty python joke of death.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby tfactor on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:48 am

papalazeru wrote:T...you're back. Awesome.

Nice to hear that you're Ms is beating the shit outta some hardcore geeks.

Thanks brotha papa! Yes is was impressive and she rules, it actually inspired me to send my JVC video camera in for repair after 3 years of not being used because I seriously wish I could have captured the faces of those poor bastards that lost and just how livid they were. It was truly priceless.

Herminator - I concur, this weeks was so good I had to watch it twice. More so though is that I've already seen a ton of write ups and videos about E3 this year but everything else seems so fucking boring in comparison to Yahtzee's review. I wish more people would make that constant effort to keep humor as the #1 priority.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:26 am

SPORE REVIEW

He doesnt like it much.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:56 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

he doesn't much. :D
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Games