Batman: Arkham Asylum (NOW WITH SPASMIC TEASER TRAILER!)

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Batman: Arkham Asylum (NOW WITH SPASMIC TEASER TRAILER!)

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Update: Teaser
Found Here- http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14273491/batman-arkham-asylum/videos/BAA_Teaser_HD.html
The way they designed Bats' ears in this is driving me crazy but I'll get over it.

Man I'm excited about this one. The Joker is supposed to be the main villain in this one, but we're going to see tons of Batman's other foes too. I just saw the first screen and they're gorgeous...

Full gallery of screenies right here...
http://computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=202897

But I think this one's going to be great, and don't forget we're also supposed to be hearing about the actual TDK game from the movie soon...
Last edited by Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Re: Batman: ARKHAM ASYLUM!

Postby buster00 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:08 pm

That looks badass!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:57 pm

I've seen these screens and more in this month's issue of Game Informer. Gameplay is supposed to be part Splinter Cell(minus the whole YOU GOT ONE BIG TOE IN THE LIGHT!!! RESTART ENTIRE FUCKING LEVEL!!!) part fighting, and part actual detective work. The best part is that this isn't being rushed out to coincide with a movie release date. But we'll see how it plays......

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:49 pm

SilentBobX wrote:I've seen these screens and more in this month's issue of Game Informer. Gameplay is supposed to be part Splinter Cell(minus the whole YOU GOT ONE BIG TOE IN THE LIGHT!!! RESTART ENTIRE FUCKING LEVEL!!!) part fighting, and part actual detective work. The best part is that this isn't being rushed out to coincide with a movie release date. But we'll see how it plays......

Mahalo

yeah, i just got my Game Informer the other day and was pretty impressed with their story on this. didn't they even make a comparison to the Chronicles of Riddick game? looks like this will be a pretty good game indeed

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:41 pm

Yeah, a homeless guy was telling me about this game the other day and it sounds awesome.

I'm not even the biggest Batman junkie or anything, but this game looks great. Batman busting up a prison riot would be cool.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:05 am

Heyoucantlaughatthat wrote:But I think this one's going to be great, and don't forget we're also supposed to be hearing about the actual TDK game from the movie soon...

Whoa, they are making a movie game? Awesome. I thought they weren't going to do that.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:35 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Heyoucantlaughatthat wrote:But I think this one's going to be great, and don't forget we're also supposed to be hearing about the actual TDK game from the movie soon...

Whoa, they are making a movie game? Awesome. I thought they weren't going to do that.

The TDK game has been shelved by EA. Apparently it wasnt up to scratch. I cant access game sites at work, due to websense, but you can find confirmation on Kotaku if you so desire.

It would be good if Ubisoft had the batman license. I think the Assassins creed engine could make for a pretty good batman game (if they avoid the pitfalls from the first AC game, such as maddening repetetiveness (Is that even a word?)).
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:22 am

Hermanator X wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

The TDK game has been shelved by EA. Apparently it wasnt up to scratch.

Whenever has there been a movie-tie in game which has been up-to-scratch?

Goldeneye...and that's about it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:07 am

True, but at least they are admitting it. It must have had major flaws.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:24 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

The TDK game has been shelved by EA. Apparently it wasnt up to scratch.

Whenever has there been a movie-tie in game which has been up-to-scratch?

Goldeneye...and that's about it.

The game of The Chronicles of Riddick was supposed to be better than the movie, though that in itself probably doesn't mean all that much...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 am

Hermanator X wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

The TDK game has been shelved by EA. Apparently it wasnt up to scratch. I cant access game sites at work, due to websense, but you can find confirmation on Kotaku if you so desire.

It would be good if Ubisoft had the batman license. I think the Assassins creed engine could make for a pretty good batman game (if they avoid the pitfalls from the first AC game, such as maddening repetetiveness (Is that even a word?)).

I'm going to try and find some confirmation. The last I heard they were still making it, it just wasn't ready in time to come out with the movie. It was supposed to let you free-roam in a huge city. Sucks if they really aren't making it.

EDIT:
The only thing I found was this...
http://kotaku.com/5034629/batman-game-exists-but-is-in-limbo-says-ea-insider
It doesn't say it was shelved, just having a few difficulties.

And then Gary Oldman says it's happening...
http://kotaku.com/5028018/gary-oldman-confirms-dark-knight-game

I guess it's possible they stopped production, but one would think that it takes a lot problems to completely trash all the efforts of these designers after such a long time.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:09 am

http://kotaku.com/5042790/pandemic-batman-game-given-the-arse

Another rumour burger! Let's pile this one atop the other Pandemic Batman ones and just chow down. According to Australian Gamer, the staff working on Pandemic's Batman game - which was being developed at the studio's Brisbane outpost - have been told to wind things up. Game's cancelled. Why? Seems it missed too many deadlines, and "the higher ups" - either EA or Pandemic HQ - decided it was time to cut their losses. Do try and keep the already-tiring "why so serious" jokes to a minimum, please.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:12 am

If you check the dates on the articles, oldmans quote is prior to the cancellation announcement. The most recent I can find is the one I posted.

The wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_(video_game)

According to a Newsweek article, the lack of a game at the same time of the movie's release may have cost an estimated $100 million in missed revenue.[3] Also, according to insiders at the Pandemic Studios office in Australia, the game has been canceled due to the game running behind schedule.[4] Nothing can be confirmed or denied about the existence of the game.

What a mistaka ta maka!! :shock:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:08 pm

Am i the only one who thinks a game based on Arkham Asylum will be incredibly short?
Also, do we really need to see two face pissing & shitting himself in a video game?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:06 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Am i the only one who thinks a game based on Arkham Asylum will be incredibly short?

It should really only have one hour of gameplay.

Also, do we really need to see two face pissing & shitting himself in a video game?

Only if you get to throw batarangs at him while he does it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum (NOW WITH SPASMIC TEASER TRAILER!)

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 pm

Now updated with a teaser, gents.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:46 pm

Far too colorful.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:18 pm

And Kevin Conroy. Both are good moves, in my opinion. I think most people associate those two voices with the characters.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Newer, fuller trailer via Joystiq...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/30/joker-brings-the-funnies-in-latest-arkham-asylum-trailer/

It is SO good to hear Conroy and Hamill again. The gameplay looks sick too. Definitely plopping down the $60 for this one, and maybe even $80 for the inevitable collector's edition with fully equipped utility belt.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:53 am

That was pretty damn cool.

One thing though. And maybe it's just me. I grew up with Hamill's Joker on TAS, but after Heath's homerun in the role, does Hamill's seem a little flat to anyone else? It just seems like something is missing.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:50 am

I'm not gettin' that Nacho, Hamill's got the perfect amount of menacing with a little humorous twang, plus, like you said, we all know and love him from TAS. Ledger was great, but I don't know if I'd pick his voice over Hamill's.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:That was pretty damn cool.

One thing though. And maybe it's just me. I grew up with Hamill's Joker on TAS, but after Heath's homerun in the role, does Hamill's seem a little flat to anyone else? It just seems like something is missing.

alright, does it look like Heath's Joker in the trailer?
No?
Nuff said.

I'm not sure what you were wanting the Joker to sound like, it's not as if Heath's corpse is gonna re-assemble & re-animate to do some voiceover work.
He wasn't the first, he wont be the last.

I covered this in another thread before so i won't post too much on it.

Anyway, the game.
Trailer was alright, probably looks tons better in HD.
Looks like it's not based on Arkham Asylum after all.
That can only be a good thing.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:27 pm

I wasn't saying that I prefer Ledger to Hamill's voice. Even compared to Hamill's former work, it just seemed like he was a little out of practice or something. Didn't seem to have as high a pitch as it used to have or something.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:29 pm

Was Heath's corpse drawn and quartered or something? Is that an Aussie tradition or some such?
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Was Heath's corpse drawn and quartered or something? Is that an Aussie tradition or some such?

Cremated, i think.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 pm

The reviews are in gents, and the word is: The Best Comic Book/Superhero game ever made-

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/21/review-batman-arkham-asylum/

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1016701p1.html

Getting it on Tuesday...very excited. :D
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Stainless on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:09 pm

I downloaded the demo thru PSN (along with about 5 other games) and it definitely has the atmosphere you'd want for a Batman game. Once you're in the Asylum things are real grimy and the characters (well, the villains, and Batman, not the guards) really pop. Dead guards pollute the areas, so although the Joker comes across pretty "cartoony", it also shows off his psychopathic sinister side. From what little I played, it appears you're gonna end up coming across multiple villains on your way to Harley and Joker (who have taken the commissioner hostage) and how you deal with each of them will vary. Some areas will require strategy and stealth, and others simple brute force. I'll most likely purchase it, but it sort of depends on how long the game is. If it ends up being pretty short I'll just rent it. Game looks great visually. Of all the games I downloaded, only the Call of Duty one was even close graphically.
I'd like to offer moral support, but I have questionable morals.
Stainless
GLIB

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:02 pm

Greatest. Superhero. Game. Ever.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby papalazeru on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:38 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:Greatest. Superhero. Game. Ever.

I'm not getting that vibe at all.

It's coming off as better than mediocre but certainly not awesome. At best, it's a beat 'em up with elements added for longevity, more of an after thought.

The whole single/two button combat thing is getting to wear a bit thin. People are trying too hard to simplify everything. Mind you, the Joker is spot on - adorable from the get go. If my score was based on story entertainment, it'd be a ten.

A definite 6 - maybe 7 if it gets better/10 score so far from me.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:19 am

papalazeru wrote:

It's coming off as better than mediocre but certainly not awesome. At best, it's a beat 'em up with elements added for longevity, more of an after thought.

The whole single/two button combat thing is getting to wear a bit thin. People are trying too hard to simplify everything. Mind you, the Joker is spot on - adorable from the get go. If my score was based on story entertainment, it'd be a ten.

Wow. That low?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:21 am

Hermanator X wrote:It would be good if Ubisoft had the batman license. I think the Assassins creed engine could make for a pretty good batman game

Was just saying this the other day.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:54 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Wow. That low?

I understand where he's coming from - again, for entertainment, a definite ten. But as a game? Over too soon - having completed it the once, and in just two sessions, I feel no need to ever return to it again. That's poor return for my £39.99. I'm trading it back in whilst the price is high, offset it against the cost of MUA2.

Next time I want twice the villains and twice the gameplay time.

I want, I want. Me me me etc.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Wow. That low?

I understand where he's coming from - again, for entertainment, a definite ten. But as a game? Over too soon - having completed it the once, and in just two sessions, I feel no need to ever return to it again. That's poor return for my £39.99. I'm trading it back in whilst the price is high, offset it against the cost of MUA2.

Next time I want twice the villains and twice the gameplay time.

I want, I want. Me me me etc.

The riddler clues, while some are deliciously fun, like finding the question marks, most of it is tedious room searching with no great importance. Plus, once you complete the game and go back to Gotham Island, there's noone to fight - so what's the point in continuing?

It's not like GTA where you have squillions of side missions to complete.

I was a little bit pissed that I didn't have a proper fight with Killer Croc either. Most bosses were tediously easy though, once you know the routines, you can kill them quick, usually in the same life. The Joker was in fact one of the easier bosses to kill.

papalazeru

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:46 pm

papalazeru wrote:The riddler clues, while some are deliciously fun, like finding the question marks, most of it is tedious room searching with no great importance. Plus, once you complete the game and go back to Gotham Island, there's noone to fight - so what's the point in continuing?

I was a little bit pissed that I didn't have a proper fight with Killer Croc either. Most bosses were tediously easy though, once you know the routines, you can kill them quick, usually in the same life. The Joker was in fact one of the easier bosses to kill.

Yeh - with the exception of maybe five or six, the riddler clues were fairly straightforward - switch on detecto-vision and find the grate/weak wall you were unable to access earlier in the game. What's in here? My, my - another riddler trophy.

I was quite happy with the Killer Croc sequence - at least it was a change of pace/challenge. It had the potential to be effing irritating though, had it been too much harder (caveat: I am desperately, woefully average at computer games).

There were loads of little nods to the various characters that didn't make it into the game - my fave was the pic of Raas Al Ghul looking incredibly similar to Arkham himself. And what is this? Once you've solved the Spirit of Arkham challenge, return to the morgue - tra-la! Ghul's body has disappeared! Very subtle - the game needed many more of these touches.

The Joker was easily the simplest boss fight to win - by a mile.

Anything involving The Scarecrow? Simply the best parts of the game.

Unlike the film.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:07 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
papalazeru wrote:The riddler clues, while some are deliciously fun, like finding the question marks, most of it is tedious room searching with no great importance. Plus, once you complete the game and go back to Gotham Island, there's noone to fight - so what's the point in continuing?

Yeh - with the exception of maybe five or six, the riddler clues were fairly straightforward - switch on detecto-vision and find the grate/weak wall you were unable to access earlier in the game. What's in here? My, my - another riddler trophy.

I was quite happy with the Killer Croc sequence - at least it was a change of pace/challenge. It had the potential to be effing irritating though, had it been too much harder (caveat: I am desperately, woefully average at computer games).

There were loads of little nods to the various characters that didn't make it into the game - my fave was the pic of Raas Al Ghul looking incredibly similar to Arkham himself. And what is this? Once you've solved the Spirit of Arkham challenge, return to the morgue - tra-la! Ghul's body has disappeared! Very subtle - the game needed many more of these touches.

Unlike the film.

I forgot to mention the Scarecrow parts, they were a great diversion but I'm glad they were just kept to the scarecrow.

The biog references were also very nice but the trouble with nod tips is, if you put to many in it just wears thin.

Also, the 'Detective vision' bugged the hell out of me because I spent more time in that shit than out of it, it wasn't as if it was just used to spot traces in the atmosphere or follow heat signatures, it was used to spot people through walls. And it was quite an important factor, so you always left it on. The Benefits of having it in normal vision? nice graphics, that's it. There should have been another benefit to having normal vision, like more acute hearing and quieter stepping, because you ended up not bothering with it anymore.

It's like worlds shortest roller coaster with some of the most awesome spins and dips in, for that 15 seconds it's pretty good but it's done so quick that you remember every curve and you're not really sure you want go back and queue for 90 minutes.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:02 pm

Sequel Screens.

This one cracks me up.

Full gallery of 20pics here.... Link
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Yeah, I'll be purchasing that. I LOVED Arkham Asylum.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Re: Batman: Arkham City

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Batman Arkham City Trailer VGA 2010:
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:47 am

Doc Holliday wrote:

Unlike the film.

I am also a woefully average gamer--maybe even below average. That's part of the reason why I hate FPS games: I just suck at them (unless there's a cheat involved). That being said, I HATE HATE HATED the Killer Croc level. I found it annoying beyond belief. I died several times and did not have an ounce of fun during the entire level. I was SO glad when it over. It was either boring or frustrating because I died and had to do the boring part over again. Gah. The only level I hated in an otherwise great game.

The Joker was fairly easy to beat, but by that point, i didn't mind. Batman should be able to defeat the Joker easily on a mano a mano fight, even if Joker was Venomfied. I want to play the game again to see what I missed the first time around.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:02 am

That was a badass trailer. I posted this on a video game forum, but does anyone here think it's a coincidence that Hugo Strange is also rumored to be the villain in the next Nolan Batfilm?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:24 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:That was a badass trailer. I posted this on a video game forum, but does anyone here think it's a coincidence that Hugo Strange is also rumored to be the villain in the next Nolan Batfilm?

It would be nice if it was just a rumor caused by him being in this game. It won't happen, but I'd love nothing more than to have red herring after red herring leaving the story of the final Batman film to be a mystery until it's released.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:16 am

I know the game and films aren't even close to being related, but I don't think it would be out of the question for WB to "convince" rocksteady to make Strange central to the game before Nolan's film in order to raise public awareness of the character in general so by the time the films comes, he more palatable.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:06 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Batman: Arkham City

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:36 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Batman: Arkham City Comic Series by Dini

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:56 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Batman: Arkham World

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:57 am

What Is "Batman: Arkham World?"
Robert Workman wrote:This past weekend was good for Rocksteady Studios and Warner Bros. Games at the Spike TV Video Game Awards 2011. Even though they didn't win Game of the Year honors (that went to Bethesda Softworks' "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim"), their big release of the year, "Batman: Arkham City," still scored a number of wins, including Best Xbox 360 Game, Best Action Adventure Game, Best Adapted Video Game and, perhaps most satisfyingly, Character of the Year for the Joker.

During his virtual acceptance speech, the legendary villain dropped what may very well be a hint as to what gamers should expect from the inevitable third chapter in Batman's "Arkham" adventure. The pre-rendered footage of the Joker accepting the award featured the cLown Prince of Crime standing at a podium giving a speech, with the "Arkham City" and Spike TV logos wallpapered behind him. But what got viewers excited were some words printed on the Joker's acceptance speech: "Batman: Arkham World Script." (On the other side were the words "Rocksteady: Confidential.") During the speech, at one point, Joker opted to throw away the script, saying, "I don't think I'll be needing this anymore. Whoops! Spoilers!"

While this could all be an elaborate joke on behalf of Rocksteady, designed merely to get the gaming community buzzing as we continue through the holiday buying season, Rocksteady has already confirmed that it will continue to work on games featuring "Batman." With that in mind, fans are more than happy to take the weekend's awards presentation as hard evidence regarding the next game in the series. Indeed, the buzz around the Joker's script was so strong at one point that, for a while, "#arkhamworld" was trending on Twitter.

At this time, WB Games is staying mum on the situation, so right now it's all pretty much speculation. But one thing's for sure -- the next Dark Knight game can't come soon enough.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby King Psyz on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Without reading the article:

We wanted Robin to look like a vengefull teenager instead of one of Rush Limbaugh's dominican boy toys... Any more questions?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Not a goddamned one.

Best answer evar....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Next

Return to Games