Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMORPG)

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMORPG)

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:10 am

It's finally official!

Gamespot's Coverage

IGN's coverage

Official Site

Sounds neat, but my first thought is still that I wish there was a direct Part 3 sequel to KOTR.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMORPG)

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:23 am

I'll take my KOTOR 3 any way I can get it! Though I'd prefer a single-player RPG . . .
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:12 am

This could be really cool, but its hard to imagine how they will implement the "shades of grey."
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:40 pm

It's going to be tough to balance the character types.

Given a choice, would you rather be a Jedi or a republic commando? duh. They may have to overpower the non-jedi/sith classes just to get people to pick them.

That said, I'm excited as hell for this. If anything is going to distract me from WoW it'll be this...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby instant_karma on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:48 pm

Must...Resist...Clicking...Links...

I'm already way too scared about what DC Universe online could do to my life...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:26 pm

Oh, DO click the links!

The Gamespot link has a cool 10 minute video describing most of what they talk about in the article.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:31 pm

Is the Zone going to form its own league? :mrgreen:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:38 pm

I hate me some mmo's but I will prolly be dragged into this one...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:59 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Is the Zone going to form its own league? :mrgreen:

that would be the geekiest, nerdiest, most pathetic, awesomest thing evar!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby instant_karma on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Is the Zone going to form its own league? :mrgreen:

that would be the geekiest, nerdiest, most pathetic, awesomest thing evar!

I call not being on monitor duty!!
instant_karma

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:05 pm

I heard whispers of a Mandalorian class. Hopefully this will be coming out for Mac. If so, it'll be the first and hopefully last MMO I'll ever own.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Darth Terron on Thu May 21, 2009 7:45 pm

So far besides Jedi and Sith we have "Bounty Hunter" and "Trooper" Classes. The starting planets will be Jedi "Tython" the birth place of all force users and "Korriban" (obviously) for the Sith, also two new plants have been announced in there Dev videos "Hutta" The Scum center of the Galaxy and "Ord Mantell" One big war zone. With all this content and the ability to make your own story in an MMO, don't be discouraged that its not an RPG. I myself can't wait to play it.

If you want to learn more here's the link to the Dev videos:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/star-w ... blic/10449
Darth Terron
GLIB

Postby thefraze on Thu May 21, 2009 8:31 pm

Cannot wait for this!

Truth be told, I don't want to be a Jedi or Sith or anything - I just want to sell shit. I'd like to be a Jawa and just hang out in Cantinas all day.
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:55 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:07 am

I just jizzed all over my keyboard.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:19 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think I just jizzed all over your keyboard too, it was that good. Seriously, that was better than the entire PT.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:22 am

I came.
I shat.
I cried.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:56 am

Holy jesus. That WAS better than anything in the PT.

I have no idea what in-game play will look like, but if it's anything near that pretty....

I have something like 40 days played in world of warcraft.

WoW might be going bye bye.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby instant_karma on Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:13 pm

That was pretty cool.

Now, this may be a slight bit pedantic, but this is meant to be set some 3,000 years before the events of the OT, but most of the spacecraft glimpsed at the end looked more like a further evolution of the ships from episodes 2 & 3.
instant_karma

Postby thefraze on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:51 pm

This BETTER come out for Mac or at least Xbox 360...
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:44 pm

New Cinematic Trailer, "Hope" is now online.

Like the last cinematic trailer, "Deceived," it is better than essentially anything in the prequel trilogy.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/hope-cinematic-trailer
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:06 pm

1. That's what I had hoped the current Clone Wars animated show would look like. That was amazing.
2. If there's never another live-action Star Wars film made, they NEED to do something with this style of animation. The Old Republic story potential is wide open. Anything could happen.

I want more.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Star Wars: The Old Republic Hope Trailer

Star Wars: The Old Republic Deceived Trailer

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:59 am

Watching those two trailers back to back.....

What the fuck is Lucas & Co. thinking?!?
Both of those trailers look amazing. Both of those show things that every Star Wars geek wanted to see in the Prequels. The animation in those is amazing. The action is amazing.
They need to make movies of THAT SHIT!!! Animated or live action, it really doesn't matter as long as it has all of the badassery of those two trailers.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby RealTALK666 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:48 pm

I want some more info on this game. I would also like to know if i can play on a mac
RealTALK666
GLIB

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:29 pm

I don't know about Mac compatibility, but we've got a little thread on this game here.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:35 pm

The opening cinematic is here: http://kotaku.com/5809128/the-old-republics-opening-cinematic-writes-checks-the-game-cant-cash

Im not really a fan of MMORPG's, as I much prefer the single player experience, but the cinematics for this thing are glorious.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:26 pm

please do not pre-order the "digital deluxe" edition from Origin.
I'm aware that Origin is the only place to get it, but you're all aware that EA are fucking gentlemen.
Lets just call it quits & move on.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:12 am

From Hero Complex:
Star Wars: The Old Republic — the story behind a galactic gamble
Ben Fritz and Alex Pham wrote:It may be the largest entertainment production in history. More than 800 people on four continents have spent six years and nearly $200 million creating it. The story runs 1,600 hours, with hundreds of additional hours still being written. Nearly 1,000 actors have recorded dialogue for 4,000 characters in three languages.

The narrative is so huge that writers created a 1,000-page “bible” to keep the details straight, and the director recently asked a colleague not to spoil moments he hadn’t yet seen.

It’s not a movie or a TV series. It’s Star Wars: The Old Republic, the most expensive, ambitious and riskiest video game ever produced.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:25 am

Is Lucasfilm developing a KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC project?

Hey folks, Harry here... Consider this a rumor at this stage.

Before I get directly into the rumor, which showed up in a rather elaborate email today, let me talk a bit about what is going on at LUCASFILM right now. When AICN ran this rumor by some trusted sources, the only thing we got was a statement that there is literally a ton of activity going on regarding a whole bunch of ideas for Lucasfilm. Essentially, we are living in a time - where there are multiple generations of filmmakers, screenwriters and artists at all levels of film and media production - that have a very real opportunity to try out their ideas. So yes, there's all manners of fantasy dream projects regarding a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. But the only project that has hardcore active development is EPISODE VII - it is the only STAR WARS project that is beyond the treatment stage. SO - even if this is true, there is zero guarantee that any of the projects that we're hearing about outside of EPISODE VII will actually come into being. That said - this is one of those dreams that seem to be being pursued, but isn't confirmed yet.

Now for the rumor. Drew Karpyshyn - the man that created the scenario and much of the dialogue in the STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. He also worked on JADE EMPIRE and STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC. Along with writing MASS EFFECT and MASS EFFECT 2. Well he left BIOWARE back in February of last year to work on "screenwriting" and it seems that BIOWARE is a hot bed of rumor regarding the notion that Drew Karpyshyn is working up a screenplay for a film version of KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. Is this true? Or just the idle gossip of hard working game designers at BIOWARE? I've reached out to Drew Karpyshyn and as of this posting I've yet to hear back. On his personal website he states that he has not yet produced or sold any screenplays and that he's nearly completed his first script and will be looking for an agent to sell it shortly. With his rather all-star status in games, I'm sure whatever Drew is working on currently is likely to be something worth looking at.

So - what is you folks' opinion on a KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC flick? Is that something you'd love to see?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Anyone ever play the MMO? I did and really liked it. But I couldn't keep paying $15 a month for something I eventually only ended up playing for one or two days a month (after months of hard playing, I needed a break). I went back in after the free-to-play option went live and was disappointed to see my character gimped. Everything was so much harder than it used to be. Free-to-play or pay-to-win? Maybe I just wasn't used to the changes, so I'll read up in more detail on what those changes were and try one more time, but if I can't do a stupid side mission anymore without feeling naked and exposed then there's no point in continuing. I'm not paying to get certain powers back or upgrading my armor.

I really wish they just did a KOTOR III proper instead of the MMO...
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:44 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Anyone ever play the MMO? I did and really liked it. But I couldn't keep paying $15 a month for something I eventually only ended up playing for one or two days a month (after months of hard playing, I needed a break). I went back in after the free-to-play option went live and was disappointed to see my character gimped. Everything was so much harder than it used to be. Free-to-play or pay-to-win? Maybe I just wasn't used to the changes, so I'll read up in more detail on what those changes were and try one more time, but if I can't do a stupid side mission anymore without feeling naked and exposed then there's no point in continuing. I'm not paying to get certain powers back or upgrading my armor.

I really wish they just did a KOTOR III proper instead of the MMO...

I never played it when it was pay-to-play. I bought a copy of it last December when it was $5 on Amazon and free to play. I played it pretty regularly for a few weeks and then completely lost interest. I might get back into it, but it really does seem that in order to succeed you need to drop some money, and I'm just not about to do that. I just hate the thought of leaving a game behind, especially this game...

I too wish they would have done KOTOR III. They could have done both. It didn't have to be this way.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Just curious: if it was free-to-play already, what was the $5 to Amazon for?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:38 pm

The initial install disc (versus downloading everything). It's now $13.85, btw. I honestly didn't even think about the possibility of it being free to download at the time (still not 100% sure if it is free to download?). Just saw it on sale for $5 and said "why not?"
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:07 pm

I would hope that would come with some full subscriber access or it's really not worth purchasing. When I bought the game it came with 60 days of access.

Yeah, I just checked Amazon and it comes with 30 days of full access. So after that, if you don't pay, you're stuff will be downsized to the F2P version, I guess. And it is a free download, BTW, just not full access unless you pay for it.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Yeah, I should have mentioned the limited access. Once it was up it was like being neutered. I couldn't even tell you everything I lost, but abilities on a grand scale were gone (movement, time lapse items, etc.). It was like logging in one day and being naked. It just highlighted the problems I had with the gameplay - guess I'm not a big MMO fan, and further highlighted my desire for a proper KOTOR III.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Yeah, I agree. F2P just removed so much from the experience there's no point. Shouldn't F2P be a good experience for people and then you pay for extra levels, special armors, more crew, etc.? I mean, I'm no CEO, but it seems like if you entice a large number of people to play your game, even if it is for free, if they like the experience and wish to fill out more they'd be more inclined to do micro-transactions. But they're juggling F2P with a subscriber model and I guess in an attempt to keep their low number of subscribers happy (because, let's face it: if there were a large number of subscribers they wouldn't have gone F2P to begin with) they're totally gimping the F2P experience. Dungeons and Dragons Online, while a game I'm only mildly fond of playing (I mainly just do it to have some fun with an out-of-state friend of mine), doesn't make me feel like I'm missing a whole lot playing the free version. Sure, there are upgrades and extra missions and stuff I could pay for, but as a casual gamer it doesn't interest me. So I'm satisfied with my casual F2P experience. Bioware could learn a thing or two from them.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:37 pm

And now the assholes have released an expansion pack that looks like the basic plot of what should have been KOTR 3:

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Fievel wrote:And now the assholes have released an expansion pack that looks like the basic plot of what should have been KOTR 3:

Pretty cool. That voice over guy had a 70s grindhouse thing going on there with his voice, no?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:52 pm

I guess I'll be reactivating my account in a couple of months. :mrgreen:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:11 am

Those kids look like Jake Lloyd.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:13 am

Crafting the Next Story of Star Wars™: The Old Republic
BioWare goes back to its roots for: Knights of the Fallen Empire
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:46 am

STAR WARS: The Old Republic – Knights of the Eternal Throne – "Betrayed" Trailer
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:17 am

TheMarySue:
We Are Very Into This Star Wars Fan Petition for an “Old Republic” TV Series on Netflix

ComicBook:
Star Wars: Fan Petition for Old Republic Netflix Series Reaches Over 140k Signatures

ComicBook:
Star Wars: The Clone Wars Series Leaving Netflix 03/07/17
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Games