Left 4 Dead

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Left 4 Dead

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:14 am

Anyone being scared shitless by this game yet?

4 players combat the screaming hordes of zombies that endlessly pour towards you and try and mangle you.

Some of the best Coop multiplayer code written so far.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Re: Left 4 Dead

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:29 am

I certainly have been playing this...

It is very atmospheric, I already get tense when I hear the crying girl and the witch theme kicks in.

It's certainly one of the best co-op experiences I've played, but you need good companions ;), but the connection issues need to be addressed.

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20081117

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20081121

I think it's fair to say that Ctrl-ALt-Del have been playing it!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:52 am

Forgot to mention that CB found a good work around.

Start up the game with Devloper mode active and then find your IP, start a passworded lobby and then your IP to your friends like this..

'connect xxx.xxx.xx.xx'

Then you shoudl connect, if you have issues.

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:45 am

Which is fine if you are connecting to a friends server, doesn't help with general connection problems :(
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:48 am

True but at least that's a nice easy work around

ANother good way is to type in....'openserverbrowser' and you can choose from a list, like most Steam games

That solves another problem.

:D

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:24 pm

What's the matter, you Xboxers can't play real games?

Is the zone realy that dead?

Godammit! You guys don't know REAL games when you see it

papalazeru

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:40 pm

I played the demo and really liked it, but not enough to put down the $60, not this soon after getting Gears 2. I've noticed a lot of my friends playing it on my friends list. This will be a definite rental.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ChaoticMoira on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:40 pm

Looks sweet! :D :D So uh, question. This is online, but it isn't MMO, correct? So it's co-op, yes?

So is it always four, can you play with specific people??

I will have to look more into this. I am going to look for the Demo. I LOVE Zombies and Games. This sounds beautiful, just beautiful. :D :D
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:50 am

ChaoticMoira wrote:Looks sweet! :D :D So uh, question. This is online, but it isn't MMO, correct? So it's co-op, yes?

So is it always four, can you play with specific people??

I will have to look more into this. I am going to look for the Demo. I LOVE Zombies and Games. This sounds beautiful, just beautiful. :D :D

It is only 4 survivors playing at any one time. If you don't have enough friends, the computer does a much better job at playing your compadres.

You can play with up to 8 people, with 4 of them playing special infected zombies, each with their own special ability. It's real hoot!

To add injustice to injury, the director software that works behind the scenes means that no two games are ever the same which can be a hindrance as much as it is fun.

The levels are diverse, dark and everything you want from a zombie film. They are very good at creating crutch points where you can do nothing but suck your thumb and cower in a corner as the horde swarm upon your position.

papalazeru

Postby ChaoticMoira on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:57 am

BALLS! The only way to get the demo is through Steam. I downloaded that damn thing once before and then ended up removing it as I could see nothing useful from it. Hell, I don't even know wtf I was suppose to do with it. I can't even remember what I downloaded it for. It was likely another demo though. Son of a bitch!!!

Does anyone know if a demo is available that is not related to a specific piece of software.

Yanno I could bitch about that for fucking days! WTF would they do that for?! Like every fucking body uses Steam... BALLS!

Do you guys have Steam?

If so, can you explain wtf the purpose of that fucking thing is? Please..

Uh, thanks.

[Added] Thanks Papa. Do you have to keep the other players alive? I mean, is it game over if one dies. I will likely have to just buy it to try it. I don't know why I am asking so many questions. I have bought games off nothing but a poster. I am a junkie.

My partner is afraid of zombie games, so the real question is, can I get the wuss to play it w/ me? Heh!!
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:50 am

ChaoticMoira wrote:BALLS! The only way to get the demo is through Steam. I downloaded that damn thing once before and then ended up removing it as I could see nothing useful from it. Hell, I don't even know wtf I was suppose to do with it. I can't even remember what I downloaded it for. It was likely another demo though. Son of a bitch!!!

Does anyone know if a demo is available that is not related to a specific piece of software.

Yanno I could bitch about that for fucking days! WTF would they do that for?! Like every fucking body uses Steam... BALLS!

Do you guys have Steam?

If so, can you explain wtf the purpose of that fucking thing is? Please..

Uh, thanks.

[Added] Thanks Papa. Do you have to keep the other players alive? I mean, is it game over if one dies. I will likely have to just buy it to try it. I don't know why I am asking so many questions. I have bought games off nothing but a poster. I am a junkie.

My partner is afraid of zombie games, so the real question is, can I get the wuss to play it w/ me? Heh!!

Steam is a fantastic delivery system. It's well worth having because you now have the option of playing your games anywhere round the world (it will download them if you have a steam account).

As for keeping players alive, I've had some desperate blood baths with zombies only to come away relatively unscathed and to watch a friend get torn to shreds. The dichotomy is, if you go back and save them you risk being viscerated and overwhelmed, but if you don't, one man down makes the game a hell of a lot harder. The good thing is, if you die, you can be rescued as anoterh survivor in one of the many rooms in the game at a short later date.

It's fantastic. I was playing with a few zoners the other night as we jumped in the van to escape, one man was left out to protect us, he got taken down and we had to leave him there. It was quite touching...especially when his voice came on and he shouted...'Noooooooo...you bastards'. You really do root for the team, unlike other team based games which take themselves far too seriously, like Counter Strike.

Playing as the undead is also brilliant fun. Being able to plan attacks with fellow zombies to take down the players is hysterical, especially when it all works out. there's nothing like making a hunter appear, then getting the players covered by the boomer and then pouncing on them while a smoker pulls another away to his death.

The game is set between 4 different campaigns, each comprising of 5 levels with an over the top finale. Each one could be a scene from any zombie film, from a tight underpass tunnel to empty house, a dishevelled Airport and train tracks beside a forest. The mood is definitely set in the zombie genre. You also get the wonderful moments, like a shakc in the woods with nothing else around and you have to hole up and fight the hordes as they storm the entire house. Do you stay inside and battle in calustrophobia or do you go outside and risk being swarmed? The choice is down to your team but it will alwasy be different adn always fun.

I should also addd that it's Dawn of the Dead reamake Zombies and not old school slow walkers, and it works, it makes you jump out of your skin.

It's brilliant.

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:04 pm

Just played this on Advanced wtih CeeBee and good ole Colonel_lugz (got rest his soul), and another person.

My god, what an intense experience. After many fateful atempts we made it through to the finalé of Death Toll where we holed up in a shack awaiting the for the ship to arrive at the docks so we could board and make hasty retreat to safety.

Well...as true to form of a zombie film, we closed the doors, tooled up and battened down the hatches to fight the horde and try and survive the zombie apocalypse. We had one man downstairs and 3 on the roof offering cover fire from zombies closing in; one man even had a rail gun.

Within the first minute we were inundated with zombies as they started breaking down the doors, a flimsy blockade which kept them at bay for all of 3 seconds (there's just too many to be an effective defence). As you fight through the first few waves there's only a second to patch up, CeeBee patches me up for the next round, he's doing ok for energy and so it Lugz, then the next wave comes. After throwing a few pipe bombs which the zombies followed we then had to face the special zombies and that's really where the plan fell apart. As you're trying to pump a few shotgun shells into a continuing tide of dead flesh you see your compadre's drop one by one to the floor, properly polished off by a hunter. They lie incapacitated but still able to shoot. You rush to rescue them, to return the favour as you will because you do REALLY care about the people you play with, as they continue to shoot off as many zombies as they can but it's like using chop stix to remove ants from your body when you're sitting on a nest. A few shells later you clear the way to uncover your pals all beaten on the floor, bloodied and bruised, and as soon as you move in to help one of them up, more zombies come and they swamp you to the ground, the screen fades to grey as you sit there and watch your mate lying dead next to you as you get your head kicked in.

It could be any quality zombie film.

What an awesome experience.

If you love zombies, get this game.

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:45 am

papalazeru wrote:If you love zombies, get this game.
This game is astounding. I cannot think of another game that ships with a standard campaign that lasts about 4 hours that is so re-playable.

The 4 campaigns are each split into 5 chapters and a campaign takes about an hour to run though in normal mode. I'm up to 14 hours playtime (according to Steam!) and the game is yet to repeat an attack sequence or placement of 'boss'

It is also the first (IMO) truly co-operative game I've played. If a player gets killed, they'll respawn later in the level, but until then you are going to be under the hammer, certainly on the harder levels. Losing a player in most co-op games is an inconvenience, in this it is paramount.

As papa says, you see a player injured on the floor, you have to try and rescue them, you need them up and shooting!

The game really sucks you in, the campaigns may have the same choke points, but the 'Director' throws a different experience at you every time. Imagine watching Dawn of the Dead twice, but the second time you watch it the zombies have made it onto the roof so it isn't as safe as you expect! You are never sure what will come through the next door or be around the next corner.
papalazeru wrote:If you love zombies, get this game.

A hearty +1 from me, and remember...

They´re coming to get you Barbara...
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby ChaoticMoira on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:42 am

BALLS!

Stop teasing me People!

I have a question. If someone is playing on an Xbox, can they play with someone who is on a PC?

I have yet to utilize console net access.. So I am unfamiliar with the whats and hows and such.

Also, I have the exact minimum specs on my PC for the game. What are you playing with CeeBee, and hows it working (stalling or anything?) for you?

I don't have an Xbox.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:21 am

My Setup :-
  • graphics card is an Nvidia 7800 (about £55, nowhere near top of the range)
  • processor is a P4 HyperThreading (not the newer Dual Core) possibly a 3.2Ghz
And it runs fine, IMO ;)
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:42 am

ChaoticMoira wrote:BALLS!

Stop teasing me People!

I have a question. If someone is playing on an Xbox, can they play with someone who is on a PC?

I have yet to utilize console net access.. So I am unfamiliar with the whats and hows and such.

Also, I have the exact minimum specs on my PC for the game. What are you playing with CeeBee, and hows it working (stalling or anything?) for you?

I don't have an Xbox.

As far as i know, the capability exists to let pc gamers play with xbox gamers & xbox gamers with ps3 gamers.
Problem is, developers just don't implement it.
The code is there, nobody wants to use it.
I'm sure MS would flip if a say, EA let ps3 gamers play against 360 Live subscribers in the next Madden/Fifa/NHL...

In saying that, this game runs thru STEAM & not Games for Windows – Live.
I'm guessing that unless Valve bring Steam to the 360 (chances are slim, seeing as it's very much like Marketplace) you're not gonna be able to play with peeps who have a 360.

On the note of system specs, my setup is this:
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 (128mb)
AMD shitty 2ghz
2 gig ram

And it runs nothing, IMO :wink:

i had to tweak shit left & right to get Doom 3 to play.
Chances of playing this on my pc are slim.

I've grown kinda tired of MK vs DCU on the 360 though, thinking of trading it in for this.
From reading most of this thread, it looks like a good idea.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby ChaoticMoira on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:46 am

Hmmm, thanks CeeBee and KON.

Mines P4 w/Hyperthreading as well. 3.00 GHz
I have an ATI Radeon x600 256mb

I have been good with it for a few years, but I think newer games are gonna start to push it's limits. I would hate having to lower game settings to play.

I had a suspicion they didn't cross over, though I do think they should!

So then the question is, who is playing this ON What?

Hopefully I will be able to pick it up soon.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:00 am

Papa and myself are both running this on PC.

CM, Did you play any of the Orange box games (Portal, Team fortress, Half Life 2: Episode2, etc) on your machine?

Because if you ran those, Left 4 Dead should be fine.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:35 am

I'm interested in upgrading my 28.8 kilobaud Internet connection to a 1.5 megabit fiber optic T1 line. Will you be able to provide an IP router that's compatible with my Token Ring Ethernet LAN configuration?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:50 am

Yes
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I'm interested in upgrading my 28.8 kilobaud Internet connection to a 1.5 megabit fiber optic T1 line. Will you be able to provide an IP router that's compatible with my Token Ring Ethernet LAN configuration?

Yeah you want a capped T3 at 2Gbps... then you can plug the damn thing into the back of your brain and in 5 seconds you can go...

'I know kung fu'

Unfrotunately, you'll still never be able to stop a bus at a request stop by putting your hand out and going, 'No'

papalazeru

Postby ChaoticMoira on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:21 pm

I sure did CB! I am going to try and pick it up soon. I'm looking forward to it!
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby papalazeru on Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:34 am

ChaoticMoira wrote:I sure did CB! I am going to try and pick it up soon. I'm looking forward to it!

woot woot!

papalazeru

Postby The Vicar on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:19 am

papalazeru wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I'm interested in upgrading my 28.8 kilobaud Internet connection to a 1.5 megabit fiber optic T1 line. Will you be able to provide an IP router that's compatible with my Token Ring Ethernet LAN configuration?

Yeah you want a capped T3 at 2Gbps... then you can plug the damn thing into the back of your brain and in 5 seconds you can go...

'I know kung fu'

Unfrotunately, you'll still never be able to stop a bus at a request stop by putting your hand out and going, 'No
'

It depends on what you have in that hand.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:39 am

papalazeru

Postby Coldfire24 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:27 pm

I also like the mutliplayer mode. I didn't think I would but being the zombies is more fun than being the survivors.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:07 pm

CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:11 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:Updates revealed

YEAH!

New survival mode hmm? Could be fun.

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Just found this on the official L4D blog.

I love the lego headshots! :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 am

Slightly more news.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:30 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:Slightly more news.

Excellent find. That's going to be awesome. No reslease date yet though :(

Booooo!

papalazeru

Postby tfactor on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Papa add trevorfactor & atheabodicea to your friends list! We've been playing this game like its our job. I'd love to pounce on you, blow a blinding load in your face or lash you with my tongue anytime. Plus the game isn't that bad either :shock:

Hope to see you online.
-T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby papalazeru on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:19 pm

tfactor wrote:Papa add trevorfactor & atheabodicea to your friends list! We've been playing this game like its our job. I'd love to pounce on you, blow a blinding load in your face or lash you with my tongue anytime. Plus the game isn't that bad either :shock:

Hope to see you online.
-T

We're on PC. Are you on Steam? or Xbox?

Ceebee and I have been on this gaem before it was released :D

papalazeru

Postby tfactor on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:57 pm

:(

No Steam! We play the xbox 360 version, sorry didn't realize you were talking about the PC version of the game. Is it much better? Do you actually have all 4 campaign maps to play in VS mode? And are there like 9 different kinds of special infected for me to be jealous about? :?

We really need to get into PC gaming, you PCers get everything. :evil: :wink:
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby papalazeru on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:49 pm

tfactor wrote::(

No Steam! We play the xbox 360 version, sorry didn't realize you were talking about the PC version of the game. Is it much better? Do you actually have all 4 campaign maps to play in VS mode? And are there like 9 different kinds of special infected for me to be jealous about? :?

We really need to get into PC gaming, you PCers get everything. :evil: :wink:

It is much better on PC. The graphics are probably the same as the Xbox's but you get console options so you can set your own server, plus it's easier to set matches up with just friends rather than the whole world.

Unfortunately the LEft 4 Dead server system is a bit pants all round so it's much better when CeeBee opens up his dedicated server.

*hint HINR* Ahem! Like tonight ;)

papalazeru

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:08 pm

when i get teamed up with a decent crew this game is all sorts of fun, with my game/video chair that has built in speakers the shotgun blasts rumble through with enough strength from the woofer to knock phlegm loose, lol.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:09 pm

papalazeru wrote: it's much better when CeeBee opens up his dedicated server.

*hint HINR* Ahem! Like tonight ;)

I'm sorry, can you say that again into my good ear? :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Just 4 fun,

Smoker saves Louis from Tank

What would Bill fuck? 1
What would Bill fuck? 2
What would Bill fuck? 3
What would Bill fuck? 4

Some of them are particularly funny if you've played Fallout..

and jus to be really purile...

Left 4 Head

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:14 pm

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:32 pm

Survival Pack is out next week.

VALVe wrote: Survival Mode pits your team against never ending waves of infected. Sounds simple. Just trap the survivors in a small part of a map, unleash the hordes, and record the longest time. Survival Mode, which will be released next week, is actually a bit more than that.

Our goals for Survival Mode are to deliver a mode of play distinct from Campaign or Versus, have games that regularly last under ten minutes, and emphasize competition with team play through leaderboards.

Survival Mode draws on the planning and communication aspects of a successful Finale or Crescendo event, while taking it to another level. It rapidly hits a fever pitch that only a well coordinated team will be able to successfully survive. Everything from simply covering a reviving teammate, to making every shot count to minimize reloads becomes crucial in Survival Mode.

Given the importance of pacing in Survival Mode, we need to define as precisely as possible how the difficulty ramps up during the course of a round. We have numerous variables to work with: mob spawn frequency, special infected spawn frequency, number of each type of special infected, total number of special infected, tank spawn frequency, total number of tanks, and so on. We need all of these variables to work together to create a fairly smooth difficulty curve.

If the curve ramps up too sharply, we find that teams of all skill levels tend to hit a wall at the same time. There isn't enough variation in the times to separate great teams from average ones. If the curve is too flat, then average teams will have a good experience, but really good teams can grind on long enough to cross the line from having fun to just getting worn out.

It might seem that just gradually increasing spawn rates and numbers of infected will create a nice smooth curve, but it turns out to be much trickier than that. Each type of infected has its own spawn schedule, so even though the individual spawn curves may be designed to be fairly easy at a particular point in time, sometimes they overlap in just such a way that the players find themselves in a really bad situation far earlier than we intend.

For example, a tank will be much harder to fight if a mob of common infected spawns at the same time - and nearly impossible if three hunters also show up right at that moment. A similar situation can happen due to variables outside our control - a team may not dispatch a tank or mob quickly enough, causing subsequent waves to start arriving and piling on to an already difficult battle. It's also hard to anticipate when teams will need to make an ammo run or heal up, both of which can be extremely difficult only a few minutes into the round. In order to help visualize these overlap points and the collapse of each spawn curve, we graphed out the wave behavior of infected over the course of a survival round.

The last variable we added was the "lull" - a short interval of time during which nothing new will spawn. Each lull gets slightly longer as the round progresses, but that's no guarantee the team will actually see the lull - it just prevents new infected from spawning. It doesn't help with infected that are already in the arena. Killing mobs and tanks as quickly as possible is the best way to ensure that a team can take advantage of a lull to heal, resupply ammo, or just move to a better location with more supplies.

Given the extreme pace of Survival Mode, the number of zombies killed in a single round often outnumbers an entire campaign. Even optimizing towards using pistols to eliminate common hordes, ammunition usually becomes an issue at some point. As ammo piles provide a unique infinite resupply for players, they tend to be in relatively less defensible positions in the Survival arenas. This means making an all important ammo run is rarely a safe proposition and requires good teamwork and planning. Timing your resources correctly to be able to make a run when necessary can make or break a team. The perfect pipebomb or well placed molotov can mean the difference between a cakewalk and catastrophe.

The Hospital Elevator, for example, might seem like an easy Crescendo Event to conquer. Hit the elevator button and holdout until the doors open for a quick escape. In Survival Mode, however, the area begins locked down. Areas open as the hordes come in, breaking down the doors to reach the survivors. In each room there are additional caches of vital pills, pipes, and Molotovs. By moving from location to location, using up the plentiful supplies as needed, a team can maximize their time in a game where the elevator never arrives to offer escape. In other maps, items may be less plentiful and require careful planning on their usage. Managing one's inventory and resources works hand-in-hand with teamwork in Survival Mode.

Next week you will be able to see our design in action when the DLC is released for the PC and 360.

source
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:49 pm

WHERE'S MAH DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT?!?!?!?

In the mean time, this should keep us all happy.

papalazeru

Postby tfactor on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:31 pm

Finally us xboxers can play all 4 campaigns and the Survival mode. And the Lighthouse!

Papa are you on my friends list yet (trevorfactor), if not add me. I'd love to play with you some time.

The only thing that really sucks for me is that they updated the game and LIMITED THE GOD DAMN MELEE ABILITY??!? Which just does not make any sense, seriously WTF? Plus they made the Tanks stronger-which is good and I think they toned downed the shotgun as well. Anyway the game has a renewed interest in my eyes and I imagine I'll be playing it frequently in the coming weeks. I look forward to chewing on all of your heads! :shock:

:wink:

Enjoy your hunting and I'll be watching those leaderboards... the view from the top is pretty nice. 8-)
-T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby papalazeru on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:05 pm

tfactor wrote:Finally us xboxers can play all 4 campaigns and the Survival mode. And the Lighthouse!

Papa are you on my friends list yet (trevorfactor), if not add me. I'd love to play with you some time.

The only thing that really sucks for me is that they updated the game and LIMITED THE GOD DAMN MELEE ABILITY??!? Which just does not make any sense, seriously WTF? Plus they made the Tanks stronger-which is good and I think they toned downed the shotgun as well. Anyway the game has a renewed interest in my eyes and I imagine I'll be playing it frequently in the coming weeks. I look forward to chewing on all of your heads! :shock:

:wink:

Enjoy your hunting and I'll be watching those leaderboards... the view from the top is pretty nice. 8-)
-T

I'd love to add you T but I'm on PC version. I'm wondering if there is a way we can cross this boundary.

I'm sure we can find a way of setting up a server you can access.

papalazeru

Postby tfactor on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:28 pm

I don't know exactly how but I know I was playing with someone last night who was using a PC version of the game. It was actually one of our friends who has only 1 xbox & 2 people wanting to play and they were able to get together (within the same house even) but I have no idea about the mechanics of how they made it happen, I'll ask next time I talk to them though.

I'm pretty sure they both have xbl accounts, but I'm not sure if that is the only contributor here. I suspect one would not require a XBL account for the PC version of the game but perhaps its an option to use a xbl account for your profile / gamer tag or whatever. Which would allow you to cross streams, erm.. so to speak.

Honestly I've never been a big PC gamer, but if you can pick the servers to play on or whatever - that would seem like the way to go. I just have no idea on my end what servers to direct you to ... yeah, or you could just buy a xbox! You make like a million dollars a year don't you? Plus I know your income is in Euros (spl?) so what is that like 4.7 million in canadian dollars. I'm thinking you should move to Canada so you can afford to play online video games in the same format as the rest of the world :shock: :wink: Later -T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:10 pm

L4D runs on valve's servers.
During the beta testing of TF2, apparently you could play against pc users using an xbox.
It got taken out because pc users had the clear advantage of having played FPS games the same way for more than 10 years.

That's as much as i know.
It could all be bullshit, but it was valve's forums that i read it on, so you never know.

If it's true, i'm sure MS pressured them into removing it too.
They are all about "Games for windows live" on the pc, so they wouldn't be too pleased that a rival content delivery service (steam, in this case) was allowing people to play cross platform.

I've seen a lot of devs say it's more than possible though.
So the code exists, it just hasn't been implemented for financial & political reasons i guess.

Trev: there is the possibility that the two people used the same xbox to play, using 2 different gamertags.
Either that or they are 1337 haxors.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Left 4 Dead 2

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Holy fucking shit

In conjunction with the Microsoft press conference unveiling, Valve has provided additional Left 4 Dead details. First, the new melee combat options. We saw the chainsaw teased in the trailer, but players will also be able to wield a frying pan, axe, baseball bat, and additional blunt-force objects. Valve has also detailed the new AI Director 2.0, which will not only affect how many of the undead you'll be tackling at any given time, but will also dictate weather effects, world objects, and pathways provided to the players.

Left 4 Dead 2 is scheduled for release on November 17 on Xbox 360 and PC, with new co-op campaigns, Versus campaigns and Survival maps.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:47 am

Nice one KON.

Seriously? Already? Left 4 Dead's only just come out. Is this a joke?

papalazeru

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:11 am

Really? Damn that's fast....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:27 am

I'm kind of disappointed with Valve about this.

They have a great reputation for not churning out yearly updates, for extending games with add-ons and new game modes. To churn out an update a year after the first smacks of EA style cash grabs.

New campaigns? Great.

New survival levels? Super.

New characters? Sweet.

New weapons? Hooray.

Why can't these be released as add-ons to the existing game?

New AI Director? With weather effects? ooo-kay. Will my processor handle it? If so, why does it need a new release, apart from parting me from my cash?

All of this smacks as, "We generally have to charge for DLC via the XBOX live marketplace, so we'll stick a number on the end and charge everyone!".

</rant>
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:13 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:I'm kind of disappointed with Valve about this.

They have a great reputation for not churning out yearly updates, for extending games with add-ons and new game modes. To churn out an update a year after the first smacks of EA style cash grabs.

New campaigns? Great.

New survival levels? Super.

New characters? Sweet.

New weapons? Hooray.

Why can't these be released as add-ons to the existing game?

New AI Director? With weather effects? ooo-kay. Will my processor handle it? If so, why does it need a new release, apart from parting me from my cash?

All of this smacks as, "We generally have to charge for DLC via the XBOX live marketplace, so we'll stick a number on the end and charge everyone!".

</rant>

I have a better idea. Charge console owners double and then let PC gamers just get on and enjoy for free with their own custom lvls like the Crossroaads Mall from Dawn of the Dead. :)

What? At least it would make Xbox users useful :lol:
Last edited by papalazeru on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

papalazeru

Next

Return to Games