Left 4 Dead

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Re: Left 4 Dead

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:19 am

I think that may be behind it... it was widely reported that MS want all DLC to be charged for via the XLM.

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve got them to agree to the last DLC being free if the next big 'patch' was packaged and sold separately, to avoid other developers wanting to avoid DLC charges.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:05 am

CeeBeeUK wrote: it was widely reported that MS want all DLC to be charged for via the XLM.

Apparently MS have said that you can have 3 free updates, then you have to charge.
Keep in mind that patching a game (i.e. the bugfix updates a week after release) take up a slot each.

This is how Criterion got away with the bikes & stuff for Burnout, Capcom got the championship patch for SF IV & Valve got the survival mode update for L4D.

Regardless of all that, i'm wondering wtf happened to HL2:E3.
Maybe everyone's just busy working on this & the TF2 updates.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:13 am

Chances are HL2: Ep 3 will be the last release before new engine. WOuld love to see what that would be and it would be backwardly compatible.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:33 pm

Do they really need a new engine though?
Lighting got spruced up along with episode 2.
L4D had erm, visual effects i guess, like filters to make it look more like film.
They would only need a new engine if they wanted to ditch the Havoc physics code altogether, or implement some really massive textures.

Plus, pc speeds aren't changing as much as they used to.
Ram, processors & gfx cards have all kinda slowed down (compared to say, 98, when you had 16mb of ram, then the upgrade to 32, then you stuck another 32 in there, all within the space of a year).

I'm not sure all games need to look like Crysis anyway.
Speaking of Crysis, that game came out in 2007 & most pc's still cant run it at a healthy frame rate.
Can't believe they're bringing out a sequel on a new engine.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:49 am

joystiq wrote:Left 4 Dead 2 ... already? It's a question that Valve's Chet Faliszek has undoubtedly been answering all day. Wary of the negative connotations that come with annual franchises, Faliszek gave us a candid explanation. Put simply, Valve wasn't entirely satisfied with the original game. "Left 4 Dead 1, like I said, had some of those fundamental things that we wanted to change about it, like the changes to the director, which took really long periods of time and a really long period of testing," he said. "And so, those changes fell in line with the long period of time it takes to create characters and everything else. That's why we're doing Left 4 Dead 2, right?"

A more refined game will also set the stage for a longer lifespan, with Faliszek having no qualms calling the EA-published Left 4 Dead 2 a platform, one that Valve sees "lasting for a much longer period of time" via updates and DLC. "We haven't decided anything yet, obviously, but we're looking at it and looking at Left 4 Dead 2 as being that platform to build on." There's a caveat, of course: "I would say definitely there's some stuff I think, like world-wise and location-wise, that we're saying, 'No, this isn't going to fit in this one, let's put this aside and maybe come back and revisit it.'"

Valve hopes to produce more incentive for revisiting Left 4 Dead 2, with a new gameplay mode -- in addition to the unrevealed one shipping with the game -- already being considered. "There's a lot of ideas that we can start playing around with. But we first need to get this first layer down and settle it." We'll be settling the score with the zombie menace on November 17th.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:34 pm

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:25 am

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:56 am

Oh my god!

I forgot to say. Haha! Xboxers have to pay, PC owners don't.

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:46 pm

And another teaser/update for Dead before Dawn.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 am

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Yeah, the expansion has been out for a bit now.

Anyone played it?
Thoughts?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:26 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Yeah, the expansion has been out for a bit now.

Anyone played it?
Thoughts?

Yup, Ceebs, Colonel Lugz and I have played throught it. It's thoroughly enjoyable.

The difference between this and the last campaigns is that it's a lot more open and somehow still claustrophobic. It's very easy for your team to split up and go different routes which inevitably get you killed but that's half the fun. The crutch points, of which there are many, are tight and well put together leaving you very little room to hide, although there's probably some 12 year old out there boasting that he's found an exploit.

The survival missions, in all honestly, I've only played one but that is intensely difficult to last longer than about 4 minutes. At that point, everyone on our team had encountered 1 tank, 2 smokers and 3 hunters, all at the same time - needless to say, it was a mess.

I still have yet to try Versus but I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

This really does instill me with confidence, so much that I've already bought Left 4 Dead 2 and I'm looking forward to seeing how the old levels are updated graphically for the new system.

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Played the survival mode quite a bit when it first came out.
I don't think we made it past 3 mins.

Do you remember map with the house & docks, where you need to switch on the generator or whatever & then sit back & wait till rescue arrives? It's at the end of one of the campaigns.

We would hunt down every gas tank & petrol container & try to line them up. You'd have maybe 3 separate areas with them clustered together.
Then we'd find the petrol bombs & take them up to the roof, replacing all the pipe bombs that were sitting at the highest part.

The plan: When a tank comes, one of you lures them to a gas & petrol cluster, then throw down the petrol bomb. Then you go back up to the highest point on the roof & heal, someone else would then take the job of luring the Tank(s).
It never worked.
The Tank would usually climb up the back of the building, rip off the railing & send at least 2 of us flying into the water.

I'm waiting on my MS points coming from Play.com. Microsoft are charging 560 points for the update.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Survival is about all I play any anymore on Left4Dead, love it. best time is about 10.5 minutes, on the hospital map from the No Mercy campaign. bust down the double doors at the end of the main hallway and make your stand in that room, they have to come at you from just one direction. just make sure you stock up on molotovs to set tanks on fire when they approach, since that really speeds up taking them down

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Previous

Return to Games