Downloadable Content - spanking or wack?

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Downloadable Content - spanking or wack?

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:04 pm

Well I've been noticing that with most games I own now on the 360 have been enjoying a new fad called DLC or Downloadable content. The basic idea for the offline is this: You buy a game, you play the game, you finish the game and the manufacture releases a new Map pack, or levels, or Fancy Dress package that you can download for a nominal fee (usually $10 - $20 AUD). Project Anchorage for Fallout 3 is as well as Grand Theft Auto IV, The Lost and Damned are examples of this DLC that haven't really impress the masses and I for one am wondering what the future of gaming will be. There are also rumors that some of these 'expansions' are already found on your game disc and the 'download' is merely unlocking it has caused an outrage in some circles who cry out for 'the game they originally paid for'.

Personally, I really like the idea that I get more life out of my game for a couple of bucks more but it seems to me that the DLC isn’t meaty enough to warrant all the hype. New Multiplayer levels/guns for GOW2 or COD4/5 are going in the right direction, but games like Fable 2 and Fallout seem to have missed the mark. Fallout 3 is in the middle of releasing expansion packs called “Project Anchorage”, ‘The Pitt" and "Broken Steel" and they do look pretty sweet but fall down on the actual ‘content’ side of things. What I wonder is why didn't they just make one big expansion pack, charge me $50, call it the "studly Man Pack" and be done with it? What’s with the dribble of extra content?

On the flip side one of my favorite games for design, marketing and DLC is Burnout Paradise. I have download multiple free updates that have given me more missions, added a day/night cycle, added motorbikes, placing virtual billboards for Obama during the later stages of his campaign and more. Now this is an excellent use of DLC that improves the rep of a games producer as well as breathing more life and sales into a brand.

So what do you guys think? Are most of the big companies missing the mark with this promising idea or was this always the way it was going to go knowing the players in today’s gaming market?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Downloadable Content - spanking or wack?

Postby papalazeru on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Oooo...Monkey, you genius. I love this thread but there's a lot to think about.

Steam is a good example of DLC done well, with generally no extra charge; who's to say about the future?

Microshite (and I'm being impartial here ;) ) have exploited this to sell machines because they realise that people have a vested interest in certain games, much more than films...but, it only takes one bad merchandising faux pas to lose the entire brand. You spend 40 hours with a game, MINIMUM, with a film (generally) it's 2 hours then the replay etc.

I'll be back when I've had time to focus on this.....Wonderful thread Monkey!

No doubt, wisened gamers like Kon will be here shortly to post their rebuttle.

Man......thinking about DLC.....that's a tough one, considering what's come out in the way of PC and console...does the machine make a difference? (PC owners don't answer), does the fact that not only do you have to pay to go online but also to download content make a difference? Was this more a PC movement that got transposed to the console/shitty PC(the equivalent of what is a 'modern console') and now, what was mods have now become pay for content?

Ooooo....this is possibly the first time I've come across a subject which really hits a nerve and I'm torn between the answer.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:46 pm

hehehe... glad that I can delight and frustrate at the same time papa :D

And on the PC front I would like to hear from PC gamers too as they have had more experience with Mods, expantion packs etc. I like to think that the console DLC is like a PC mod/expantion for dummies.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Did we not have this discussion a few weeks ago?

Lil' bit here & here.
Just about every post between here & here
Maybe a mod could merge the posts into this thread.

Basically...
PS3 owners are not happy.
XBOX owners are kinda happy, for the time being.
PC users are thinking "it took you mother fuckers 14 years to catch up."

PC users can sit back & relax.
They've had the best FPS games & more with a range of mods available for no fee at all.
They've had map editors on the disc with the game.
They've had packages where add-ons that have been designed for a particular game are included in the case, something that's only really happened about three times on consoles (GTA+GTA: LONDON pack, THE ORANGE BOX & Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box).

The majority of console based DLC is completely worthless.
It's cheats.
They go by the name of "Time saver Pack" or something along those lines.
Just a con. You pay for the shit you would've got by playing through the game, then you play the game & realize there's no point in playing when you've got everything unlocked.
The game sits on the shelve & you're £50 out of pocket.

Then you've got cunt's like Namco who charge you for something they purposely locked on the disc with the intent of selling later on.
As much as i love SF4, i was looking at the costume downloads & couldn't believe that a pack of 6 costumes was about 256kb.
Now, i hope like hell i've got it wrong & it's 2.56mb or something, but if it's not, it's a rip off & Capcom will be on par with Namco, in my book.

Remember when Scourge of Armagon & Dissolution of Eternity came out? Probably not. Those were mission packs for Quake.
Not memorable because back in the day, add-ons seemed optional & only for the die hard fans.
Even years later, how many HL players went out & bought Opposing Force & Blue Shift?
But now, with a mixture of advertising, hype & the fact that you don't even need to leave the house to get it, "expansion packs" seem almost compulsory.

Developers are wankers.
They market the game as a must have, they advertise the shit out of it, sometimes they'll even pay off review sites *cough* gamespot *cough* just to make their game look like a killer app.

Then, once you've got the game, they announce the be all & end all of your gaming experience, the DLC that you need.
They sell off the DLC to the highest bidder (Microsoft, at the moment. Sony will wake up & do something about that shortly).
Not only do they have the studly wad of cash for the game, they also have a studly wad of cash for the exclusivity of the DLC. Soon, they'll have cash rolling in from the DLC it's self too.

So who looks like a right cunt after all that?
Is it MS, for buying up exclusivity?
Is it Sony, for not buying up exclusivity?
Is it the developer, for selling exclusivity contracts in the first place?

Is it fuck, it's us.
The people who've bought what looks like the wrong console.

It always has.
Not even with DLC.
Remember when you had a Mega Drive/Genesis & couldn't play Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Manna...?

It's the same shit, just designed in a way that makes both parties feel like they're getting something.

It's a shite state of affairs.
Gamers are left in the dark while companies raise profits.
That's how it's always been.
It only looks like it's getting worse because of the recent GTA, Fallout & TR stuff.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:34 am

*Ahem* Banjo Tooie*ahem*

Expansion pack AND sequel for Banjo Kazooie.

On console. fucking microchip expansion shit. Awesome!

Mind you, that's rareware before they went the microshite route. Ok, so it's not DLC but I suppose it was the equivalent back then.

I'm still in two minds about DLC because there has been some wonderful stuff on Oblivion (shivering Isles) and with that in mind, I'm waiting to see what they do for Fallout.

I got to admit, KON's right. It's not looking too good. The idea is to suck as much money out of you as possible with a fine balance between not actually caring what you want, and giving you enough that you'll pay THAT price for it.

Bethesda got it sooooo wrong with Horse Armor in the beginning.

Interestingly enough, I think Sam and Max got it right.

papalazeru

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:03 pm

I think that if you're going to charge us $10-$20 more dollars for a game that I probably already paid a ridiculous $60 for, you'd better have a lot more stuff for me to do. It seems like Xbox Live likes to charge at least 800 MS points for every DLC pack because it's just a nice round number ($10), when most of them really deserve a much lower price.

It's always nice to get new multiplayer maps, but I think Bungie started the trend of only releasing 3 maps at a time with Halo 3. Granted, with Halo, you can always use forge (a map editor) on these maps, but I think that generally, 4-5 maps is more appropriate for $10. I just read Gears 2 is coming out with a new pack that will include 4 new maps.

I think DLC has amazing potential, but seeing as we're already paying for Xbox Live, Microsoft could be a little more lenient with the pricing. I can't speak for the PSN content because I don't own a PS3.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:16 pm

So far, everything about DLC has let me down.

Charging for maps? That should be left up to the free community and the modders, they can do it better than anyone, plus they can host it too.

Fallout 3 has not warranted any extra funding from me, the add ons were completed in less than a day and felt pretty pointless, not adding to the universe itself. The same happened wtih all the promises for Oblivion, although they did follow through with the Shivering Isles.

papalazeru

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:29 am

papalazeru wrote:So far, everything about DLC has let me down.

Charging for maps? That should be left up to the free community and the modders, they can do it better than anyone, plus they can host it too.

Fallout 3 has not warranted any extra funding from me, the add ons were completed in less than a day and felt pretty pointless, not adding to the universe itself. The same happened wtih all the promises for Oblivion, although they did follow through with the Shivering Isles.

I've heard good things about a couple of FO3's DLC. Not that I'll ever download any of them, I've not even half way through the damn thing.

Maps DLC I'm in two minds about. I will pay for a map if it's been created by professional and related design team.... ie COD4. There's something about community project downloads on the PC that really frustrates me. Most of the content is crap! I don't pay a IT mate of mine to fix my car, nor would I play a map made by someone with no professional skills. I'm not saying that all community content is crappy, it's just IME I've found that a good map-pack is worth paying for and can really extend the life of you're multiplayer experience.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:19 pm

For me, I play lots of rhythym games. I like the idea that they can think of extra songs and add them later without us having to wait for the next installment of DDR to get a song that might just become a hit the week one DDR game hits the shelves.

I also realize that the cost of securing the rights to those songs can be pricey and might drive up the cost of the basic game, so making them extras might save the developers a bit of money and keep the games affordable, though I kinda doubt it's a big issue.

But paying $2.00 to add one song to the roster is a tad steep and it keeps me from downloading more. I might buy an extra five songs adding up to $10.00, but if they were only $1.00 each I would probably buy like 20 and end up spending $20.00. This goes for the majority of what I see on XBox live. I think they'd probably have more than triple sales if they cut the price by half.

That being said, there is some great stuff out there and it's great to see so many free patches. The one for Midnight Club Los Angeles was a great freebee. It might also encourage more sales over rentals if developers continually put out more free or very cheap add-ons. People would see the value in buying games and holding onto them knowing the experience would expand several more times.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Return to Games