Free Gaming Acheivement

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Free Gaming Acheivement

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:11 am

Congratulations, you win a free gaming acheivement just by opening this thread, expect to see a message at the bottom of the screen in sec, then you can get in contact with all your friends and tell them you've just got an extra 5 acheivement points that do fuck all.

I'm beginning to absolutely hate them because you get an award for anything nowadays.

Now it seems Microshit and Puny (Sony) just give them away for blowing on the damned machine, and do the majority of them better your gaming experience?

FUCK NO.

Some shmuck in an office somewhere told you all to call it 'Bragging rights' and suddenly you all want them. It's just a weak pathetic attempt at wringing blood from a stone turd. There was no need to legistlate into the gaming halls, this whole acheivement/trophy bullshit. No longer is it good enough telling your mates that you go to a certain point, you now need a trophy or some form of insignia to prove it. And guess what? They can be easily hacked too.

Or

Is it nice to have something, a little momento, for reaching a certian point in the game, for perseverence beyond the face of any adversity. Goldeye has an award on the Facilty level (or as real people called it - TOILETS), where you had to complete the level in 1:05. It's possibly the hardest thing in History that I had to complete in a game...and for that, I got the cheat for invincibility. It took me the better part of a week to even do it again on Colonel_lugz's N64. But it gave me a real sense of accomplishment, and I had the cheat to prove it, held high for the world to see. But Goldeneye didn't just leave it there, you had to work super hard to get the hidden weapons, extra characters, levels ect, which you invited people round and show them off. And that feels good.

Personally, I like my acheivments to do something with the game, not just sit there on the gaming shelf gathering dust. I want a new weapon, new level etc...but I suppose nowadays you pay for it. Some companies still do wonderful awards and reward for contrinued play, like Team Fortress 2 who update their characters with new weapons etc.

It's very similar to collectibles in games except these so called acheivements seem to have no real purpose.

I like it to be more than just something to rest on the mantlepiece, and i think too many XBOX games are just that, an award for actually being able to walk forward or accessing the menu. ALF.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Re: Free Gaming Acheivement

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:28 am

And before you post Ceebs...I know you're writing about me right now!!!!

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:32 am

It's a double edged sword. I have, in the past, played a game to 100% completion just for the hell of it. To say that I had. The GTA games are an example. I played GTA3, VC and SA to 100% for nothing more than to say I had. I unlocked nothing. I got no badges, trophies or gamerscore. I got a profound sense of achievement and that was enough.

With GTA4 on the PS3, I will never get all of the trophies and that annoys me. I have competed the game to 100% but I have no intention of killing 20,000 people on-line*. The game sucks on-line, I doubt there are that many people playing it. I happily played it to 100% off-line, getting all the trophies I could. That was hard enough! That last pigeon! :evil:

Personally, I like trophies. If I can look at a game and say that I have all the achievements/trophies I feel I have completed it to the level the creators wanted...

okay, I'm a trophy whore! :D

*figure plucked from thin air.

edit: and see I didn't mention you once. ;)

Whore!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:10 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:I played GTA3, VC and SA to 100% for nothing more than to say I had. I unlocked nothing. I got no badges, trophies or gamerscore. I got a profound sense of achievement and that was enough.

That's not really true.
The GTA games of the last generation always rewarded the user for playing more.

GTA3-GTA:SA you unlocked something for every 10% of the game you completed.
I think it was weapons & armour & stuff like that, but it was still a reward for reaching a percentage of completion.
All vigilante missions unlocked something, all paramedic missions unlocked the ability to run without loosing your breath, 100 taxi fares unlocked hydrolic jumping in taxis...
The taxi jumping thing didn't help you with the game much, but having things like rocket launchers, SMGs & Armour at your hideout helped.

The most obvious was that if you kept playing, the other islands would open up.
That's not really locked to percentages, but it forced people to play further & explore the game more than they would have if everything was open from the start.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:43 am

Top Ten worst Xbox achievements

Easiest 1000 points gamerscore eva

I must admit, it's a good way to get someone to buy a shit game, make sure it's got a good Gamer achievement score to easy shit.

Which proves my point that it's pointless and gimicky to have acheivements. No longer are they 'bragging rights' etc, just an easy way to make a poor sap play through shit and soon, probably going to be a good source of revenue from shit games.

papalazeru

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:08 am

I remember in the early 90's that it was all the rage to have easter eggs in your games, just little nods and winks to the cognoscenti. Achievement Points, to me, are just Orwellian doublethink techniques, but, I would say that, I don't have one of these console(ation)s.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:17 am

magicmonkey wrote:I remember in the early 90's that it was all the rage to have easter eggs in your games, just little nods and winks to the cognoscenti. Achievement Points, to me, are just Orwellian doublethink techniques, but, I would say that, I don't have one of these console(ation)s.

..and finished with a flurry. Awesome pun there Monkey.

papalazeru

Return to Games