Champions Online

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Champions Online

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:02 am

I can't stand our fucking search engine because I know I have talked about this before. I tried to find if there is a thread for this, but couldn't. Anyway, Cryptic, makes of City of Heroes has taken the sloughed off skin of their Marvel Universe Online MMP and bought up the rights to the old beloved paper and dice RPG Champions, and now they are about to release a new online Superhero role playing game.

I was a big fan of City of Heroes and Villains, but got bored with the grind. This might be more of the same, but it seems there are enough differences to warrant giving the game a try. First and foremost is the fact that combat in the game isn't TURNED BASED. So this supposedly plays more like an action/adventure game. This alone has me stoked, but on top of that you get to create your own arch-nemesis. Which is also pretty clever. The game features (not required non-content) microtransactions so you can enhance your costume, change your name, buy pets, etc.

Anyway, I have pre-ordered which gets me a list of extras and even open beta testing soon. The game goes live on Sept. 1, so if anyone is interested in beezing up some bad guys (or good ones), please let me know.

You can check out more details at Champions-Online.com.

And bleh on you if you want to turn this into a thread for whining about City of Heroes or MMORPGs.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Re: Champions Online

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:10 pm

:(
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:56 pm

:twisted:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:37 pm

I've been wanting to check out a new MMO game. I did a trial of Lord of the Rings Online but have been semi-underwhelmed. I'm terrified of starting WoW again. I've been clean for 3 months, man!!!!!!!!!

But....I might have to check this out. It'd be a nice departure, I think, from the MMOs I've played in the past.

Once The Old Republic is released, tho, I will become its bitch.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I've been wanting to check out a new MMO game. I did a trial of Lord of the Rings Online but have been semi-underwhelmed. I'm terrified of starting WoW again. I've been clean for 3 months, man!!!!!!!!!

But....I might have to check this out. It'd be a nice departure, I think, from the MMOs I've played in the past.

Probably me too, but this looks like a blast. Care to give it a shot?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:35 am

Open Beta for pre-order customers starts on Monday. :D
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:57 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Once The Old Republic is released, tho, I will become its bitch.

Ditto.

I've never played an MMO before, but KOTOR is going to break my cherry.

A superhero MMO sounds fun, but I'm currently running a Mutants & Masterminds game so that'd be a little too much superhero for me.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:13 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:I've been wanting to check out a new MMO game. I did a trial of Lord of the Rings Online but have been semi-underwhelmed. I'm terrified of starting WoW again. I've been clean for 3 months, man!!!!!!!!!

Probably me too, but this looks like a blast. Care to give it a shot?

Sorry, Burl, just saw this! I wonder if I can pre-order now and get into the open Beta?

You've had a couple of days now, assuming things are going according to schedule, any first impressions?? I'm pretty intrigued by this game (and your reaction in particular since I know you've played WoW and LOTRO and City of Heroes so you have a pretty good basis for comparison).
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Yesterday was a master disaster. The patch wouldn't download, and everyone on their forums was really pissy. They finally posted a fix around 10 PM PST last night and I got on around 11. I played for a couple hours.

My first impressions: Character generation is a blast. You can create costumes and just save them for another character if you want. So many choices between body types, head types and all the gear. I created an alien named Andromeda with butterfly wings that flap and movie randomly even though I cannot yet fly.

I also like that you don't have established classes. You can pick and choose your powers at will in order to make the character you want.

I have not made it out of tutorial yet, but will in a few minutes. I will post some more comments, and maybe screen shots, later.

Wait, I will post screen shots after I get my graphics card upgraded tomorrow.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:05 pm

NO!

We require the screenshots immediately!!! (seriously)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:03 pm

The whole game looks just like your av.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Wow it's better than my wildest dreams!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Stainless on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:20 pm

I just kicked WoW after clearing the Ulduar content, I definitely don't plan to start back now that there's a new expansion and and level-cap. Been looking for a space based or hero based MMORPG. This looks interesting.
I'd like to offer moral support, but I have questionable morals.
Stainless
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Stainless wrote:I just kicked WoW after clearing the Ulduar content, I definitely don't plan to start back now that there's a new expansion and and level-cap. Been looking for a space based or hero based MMORPG. This looks interesting.

It's actually a lot of fun. If you decide to play, my user name is jcd281. You need that to add friends.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:55 pm

How to form a supergroup in champions online - video

Im not playing it, but thought I would pass the link on. It looks like fun, but im more a casual gamer.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:26 am

I just got addited to WoW a couple of months ago, some RP buddies of mine wanted me to play there so I have been

but I've always been intrigued by the superhero MMOs, what's the verdict Burl, should I give it a whirl?
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Return to Games