Only slightly related to the topic, but...

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby judderman on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:02 am

does anyone here know what Rupert Murdoch is trying to do to Google, and whether I should be alarmed?
User avatar
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 4:24 am

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:10 am

I've felt for a long time that someone should do something to Google, but I never bothered to think about who or what that should be.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:15 am

maybe he is googling google
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18853
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:29 am

judderman wrote:does anyone here know what Rupert Murdoch is trying to do to Google, and whether I should be alarmed?

No, you should not be alarmed.

Basically all his news media properties - The Times, Wall Street Journal, Sky News etc etc etc - are going to be charging for content soon. He doesn't want anything from those sources turning up in Google searches, so those News Carp websites carrying content will block Google from mining for it's Google News page.

This is also apparently been done already with "Myspace TV". Murdoch wants it to be popular like Youtube, so is having any Myspace videos removed from Youtube. What he hasn't realised is that Myspace is out-of-date and Youtube already has the market (even Microsoft has realised this).

Likely result - people will get online news from other places and not pay for News Carp content.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13926
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby tapehead on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Murdoch has been something of a genius in the marrow realms of the newspaper and television industries, in terms of capitalising on technology and licencing. Depsite some early succes with myspace, that cleverness doesn't seem to be adapting to the internet.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:34 pm

tapehead wrote:Murdoch has been something of a genius in the marrow realms of the newspaper and television industries, in terms of capitalising on technology and licencing. Depsite some early succes with myspace, that cleverness doesn't seem to be adapting to the internet.


Well he does own IGN and all of their sister sites (including Rotten Tomatoes).
That was a pretty smart pickup.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12044
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby judderman on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
judderman wrote:does anyone here know what Rupert Murdoch is trying to do to Google, and whether I should be alarmed?

No, you should not be alarmed.

Basically all his news media properties - The Times, Wall Street Journal, Sky News etc etc etc - are going to be charging for content soon. He doesn't want anything from those sources turning up in Google searches, so those News Carp websites carrying content will block Google from mining for it's Google News page.

This is also apparently been done already with "Myspace TV". Murdoch wants it to be popular like Youtube, so is having any Myspace videos removed from Youtube. What he hasn't realised is that Myspace is out-of-date and Youtube already has the market (even Microsoft has realised this).

Likely result - people will get online news from other places and not pay for News Carp content.


God. Can you imagine people paying to read The Sun online? I mean the two things one never finds free on the web are paranoid vitriol and pictures of girls naked.
User avatar
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 4:24 am

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:44 pm

judderman wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
judderman wrote:does anyone here know what Rupert Murdoch is trying to do to Google, and whether I should be alarmed?

No, you should not be alarmed.

Basically all his news media properties - The Times, Wall Street Journal, Sky News etc etc etc - are going to be charging for content soon. He doesn't want anything from those sources turning up in Google searches, so those News Carp websites carrying content will block Google from mining for it's Google News page.

This is also apparently been done already with "Myspace TV". Murdoch wants it to be popular like Youtube, so is having any Myspace videos removed from Youtube. What he hasn't realised is that Myspace is out-of-date and Youtube already has the market (even Microsoft has realised this).

Likely result - people will get online news from other places and not pay for News Carp content.


God. Can you imagine people paying to read The Sun online? I mean the two things one never finds free on the web are paranoid vitriol and pictures of girls naked.

But where else can you find articles of such calibre as The Sun's?
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13926
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby judderman on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:59 pm

sprayed against the wall after a fight between two incontinent hippos?
User avatar
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 4:24 am

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:53 pm

judderman wrote:sprayed against the wall after a fight between two incontinent hippos?


Hapless Hippo's in Hemoglobin Haemorrhage...story on page 6....












With TITS!!!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11474
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby justcheckin on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:38 pm

I thought I would re-direct you all here...

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44623
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby tapehead on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:51 pm

Fievel wrote:
tapehead wrote:Murdoch has been something of a genius in the marrow realms of the newspaper and television industries, in terms of capitalising on technology and licencing. Depsite some early succes with myspace, that cleverness doesn't seem to be adapting to the internet.


Well he does own IGN and all of their sister sites (including Rotten Tomatoes).
That was a pretty smart pickup.


A pretty glib summation on my part, no doubt - but these are acquisitions, whereas he gathered together a newspaper empire and was intrumental in the construction of both the Sky tv network in the UK/Europe/Australia and Fox cable in the US. His speculative attempts at doing something similar on the internet have paled by comparision, in my opinion, due to his inability to see how to make the lionshare profit from it or predict online trends, let alone lead them. The policies that came into play on myspace after he acquired it (especially with regard to music ownership - ask KON) and this kind of proprietary disdain for Google to me exhibit a perspective that either doesn't understand or objects to the interconnectivity of the web, which is integral to it as a medium.

justcheckin wrote:viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44623


Yeah, it's pretty much the same topic, with less emus, but the dicussion has bee quite different so far.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby Ribbons on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:00 am

I'm pretty sure he's trying to use Google to invent some sort of space laser
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13734
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby tapehead on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:41 am

Ribbons wrote:I'm pretty sure he's trying to use Google to invent some sort of space laser



Boeing!

hang on, I think I meant 'Boring!'

no, wait... I meant 'Boing'!
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:57 pm

I may hate the military-industrial complex but a space laser would be fucking awesome.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:53 pm

Ribbons wrote:I'm pretty sure he's trying to use Google to invent some sort of space laser

It's actually a giant shield to block out the light from the Sun.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13926
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby minstrel on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:57 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I may hate the military-industrial complex but a space laser would be fucking awesome.


See "Real Genius" for an example of just how awesome it would be!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:51 pm

minstrel wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I may hate the military-industrial complex but a space laser would be fucking awesome.


See "Real Genius" for an example of just how awesome it would be!


All of a sudden, I'm hungry for popcorn....
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12044
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby justcheckin on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Fievel wrote:
minstrel wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I may hate the military-industrial complex but a space laser would be fucking awesome.


See "Real Genius" for an example of just how awesome it would be!


All of a sudden, I'm hungry for popcorn....


I just saw on the news this morning where a tub of popcorn has 1000 plus calories in it.
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.


Return to Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests