Only slightly related to the topic, but...

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby judderman on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:02 am

does anyone here know what Rupert Murdoch is trying to do to Google, and whether I should be alarmed?
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Re: Only slightly related to the topic, but...

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:10 am

I've felt for a long time that someone should do something to Google, but I never bothered to think about who or what that should be.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:15 am

maybe he is googling google
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:29 am

judderman wrote:does anyone here know what Rupert Murdoch is trying to do to Google, and whether I should be alarmed?

No, you should not be alarmed.

Basically all his news media properties - The Times, Wall Street Journal, Sky News etc etc etc - are going to be charging for content soon. He doesn't want anything from those sources turning up in Google searches, so those News Carp websites carrying content will block Google from mining for it's Google News page.

This is also apparently been done already with "Myspace TV". Murdoch wants it to be popular like Youtube, so is having any Myspace videos removed from Youtube. What he hasn't realised is that Myspace is out-of-date and Youtube already has the market (even Microsoft has realised this).

Likely result - people will get online news from other places and not pay for News Carp content.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Murdoch has been something of a genius in the marrow realms of the newspaper and television industries, in terms of capitalising on technology and licencing. Depsite some early succes with myspace, that cleverness doesn't seem to be adapting to the internet.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:34 pm

tapehead wrote:Murdoch has been something of a genius in the marrow realms of the newspaper and television industries, in terms of capitalising on technology and licencing. Depsite some early succes with myspace, that cleverness doesn't seem to be adapting to the internet.

Well he does own IGN and all of their sister sites (including Rotten Tomatoes).
That was a pretty smart pickup.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby judderman on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
judderman wrote:does anyone here know what Rupert Murdoch is trying to do to Google, and whether I should be alarmed?

Basically all his news media properties - The Times, Wall Street Journal, Sky News etc etc etc - are going to be charging for content soon. He doesn't want anything from those sources turning up in Google searches, so those News Carp websites carrying content will block Google from mining for it's Google News page.

This is also apparently been done already with "Myspace TV". Murdoch wants it to be popular like Youtube, so is having any Myspace videos removed from Youtube. What he hasn't realised is that Myspace is out-of-date and Youtube already has the market (even Microsoft has realised this).

Likely result - people will get online news from other places and not pay for News Carp content.

God. Can you imagine people paying to read The Sun online? I mean the two things one never finds free on the web are paranoid vitriol and pictures of girls naked.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:44 pm

judderman wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

God. Can you imagine people paying to read The Sun online? I mean the two things one never finds free on the web are paranoid vitriol and pictures of girls naked.

But where else can you find articles of such calibre as The Sun's?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby judderman on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:59 pm

sprayed against the wall after a fight between two incontinent hippos?
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:53 pm

judderman wrote:sprayed against the wall after a fight between two incontinent hippos?

Hapless Hippo's in Hemoglobin Haemorrhage...story on page 6....

With TITS!!!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby justcheckin on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:38 pm

I thought I would re-direct you all here...

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44623
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:51 pm

Fievel wrote:
tapehead wrote:Murdoch has been something of a genius in the marrow realms of the newspaper and television industries, in terms of capitalising on technology and licencing. Depsite some early succes with myspace, that cleverness doesn't seem to be adapting to the internet.

Well he does own IGN and all of their sister sites (including Rotten Tomatoes).
That was a pretty smart pickup.

A pretty glib summation on my part, no doubt - but these are acquisitions, whereas he gathered together a newspaper empire and was intrumental in the construction of both the Sky tv network in the UK/Europe/Australia and Fox cable in the US. His speculative attempts at doing something similar on the internet have paled by comparision, in my opinion, due to his inability to see how to make the lionshare profit from it or predict online trends, let alone lead them. The policies that came into play on myspace after he acquired it (especially with regard to music ownership - ask KON) and this kind of proprietary disdain for Google to me exhibit a perspective that either doesn't understand or objects to the interconnectivity of the web, which is integral to it as a medium.

justcheckin wrote:viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44623

Yeah, it's pretty much the same topic, with less emus, but the dicussion has bee quite different so far.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:00 am

I'm pretty sure he's trying to use Google to invent some sort of space laser
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:41 am

Ribbons wrote:I'm pretty sure he's trying to use Google to invent some sort of space laser

Boeing!

hang on, I think I meant 'Boring!'

no, wait... I meant 'Boing'!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:57 pm

I may hate the military-industrial complex but a space laser would be fucking awesome.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:53 pm

Ribbons wrote:I'm pretty sure he's trying to use Google to invent some sort of space laser

It's actually a giant shield to block out the light from the Sun.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:57 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I may hate the military-industrial complex but a space laser would be fucking awesome.

See "Real Genius" for an example of just how awesome it would be!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:51 pm

minstrel wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I may hate the military-industrial complex but a space laser would be fucking awesome.

All of a sudden, I'm hungry for popcorn....
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby justcheckin on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Fievel wrote:
minstrel wrote:

All of a sudden, I'm hungry for popcorn....

I just saw on the news this morning where a tub of popcorn has 1000 plus calories in it.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Return to Games