Red Dead Redemption

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Red Dead Redemption

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:38 am

Red Dead Redemption

It's looking mighty fine. Another Rockstar production, this time from San Diego rather than North.

Wiki has this entry which sounds interesting. It's another Sandbox GTA stlye game with an epic landscape range, quite possibly larger than GTA.

Considering that it's either on foot, on horseback or train, it might be that they make the scenery much more interesting.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Re: Red Dead Redemption

Postby John-Locke on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:17 am

I think I heard Bill Paxton's voice in there somewhere.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:57 am

Very cool... takes me back to my youth when I used to play a role playing game named Boot Hill.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:45 am

so sorry wrote:I used to play a role playing game named Boot Hill.

NERD!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:35 pm

John-Locke wrote:
so sorry wrote:I used to play a role playing game named Boot Hill.

NERD!

:P
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby travis-dane on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:16 pm

The first one called Red Dead Revolver was really good. I'll check this one out.
I hope they make a GUN sequel. That was a great wild west game.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Put my pre order in for this today. Dont normally go for such things, but im getting the limited edition. Some extra in game features, but most importantly, you get the soundtrack (not sure if on CD or mp3) which was spectacular on Red Dead Revolver. Plus it was cheaper than the normal price of new released games. 399 nok (40 quid) against 600 nok (60 quid) for the majority of new releases (Stick another 200 on for a special edition generally. That price is crazy, there are some stores that do special offers the first week of release, but in general, I gotta wait for the price to drop, which takes an inordinate length of time compared to in the UK).
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Hermanator X on Sat May 01, 2010 7:59 am

Some vids on the multiplayer. Looking good!

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat May 01, 2010 7:29 pm

I've been saying it a long time, but this doesn't just look like a conventional sequel to me. It seems like it has the possibility the GOTG (Game of the Generation). I don't mean to over-hype it, but this looks absolutely astounding.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bloo on Sat May 01, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm thinking about buying a new gaming system just for this game. I love Westerns and that sort of thing, this looks fun
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Hermanator X on Sun May 02, 2010 4:32 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I've been saying it a long time, but this doesn't just look like a conventional sequel to me. It seems like it has the possibility the GOTG (Game of the Generation). I don't mean to over-hype it, but this looks absolutely astounding.

Yeah, its more of a "brand" than a sequel. It has no ties to the first game whatsoever, other than the setting. I thought the first game was a ton of fun, and is up there as one of my favourites from the ps2 era. It just hooked me in and hit all the right buttons. This one however, just takes that and expands it considerably to an open world. It looks beautiful too. Cant wait to get stuck in, but gonna have to cram in a lot of gaming before the baby arrives :D .
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Hermanator X on Tue May 04, 2010 4:04 am

Nice pre review of a finished code hands on session.
Cant wait for this!

Red Dead Redemption is a vast, open-world adventure, featuring the largest landscape Rockstar has ever built, and around 450 individual characters. Alongside the main story missions, players will set off on dozens of minor side-tasks, encounters and objectives, all the time earning fame and - if they behave – honour. In a structural sense, perhaps, it's very much the Grand Theft Auto model, but within a dauntingly immense rural environment that features over 40 different types of animals, an active eco-system, and an astonishingly well-realised sense of history.

Indeed, the early twentieth century setting is a masterstroke. This isn't the mythical heyday of the old west; that culture is in its death throes. Throughout the game, technology is encroaching on the area like a virus. At first, it's the railroads carving through the landscape, but as you travel north you encounter the first confused telephone users bellowing into handsets, and later, the first production line motorcars. John Marston is a man at odds with this coming era; he's a dinosaur. And this sense of growing displacement adds poignancy to the action,

Yet, for the most part, this is a game about wide-open space, about freedom and discovery. One of the worries with a rural setting is that there will be nothing going on out there. But this is not the case. As Rockstar has promised, the landscape is filled with random encounters – you may pass sheriffs chasing down an outlaw, or some poor prospector being bullied by gunmen. Often, I just headed out onto a ridge and watched – in the distance you might pick up the wisps of smoke from gunfire, or dust flying up from a galloping horse; both could lead to profitable encounters. Help a distressed local and they may give you cash, equipment or a treasure map.

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Wolfpack on Mon May 17, 2010 5:12 pm

IGN gives it a 9.7

It ties with Bioshock for their second highest-rated game, behind the perfect 10 GTA IV
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Mon May 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Wolfpack wrote:IGN gives it a 9.7

It ties with Bioshock for their second highest-rated game, behind the perfect 10 GTA IV

I don't think Bioshock deserved that score, for sure, but GTA IV certainly did.

And this is a Rockstar game....I'm going to buy a PS3 just because of this game.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Mon May 17, 2010 6:18 pm

The official launch trailer, making good use of the games score. Sounding mighty fine!!

The music in our official launch trailer – as with all of the trailers for Red Dead Redemption – comes from the game’s official score and soundtrack as composed by critically acclaimed recording artists Bill Elm and Woody Jackson. Red Dead Redemption’s lush and emotive dynamic score captures the haunting sound of the dying American West and Mexico at the turn of the century. Filled with sweeping strings, martial timpani, and piercing horns, this music was performed on authentic instruments of the period, and evolves as you pass through each of the game’s three huge territories. Produced by David Holmes, the soundtrack album also features exclusive tracks from contemporary artists Jamie Lidell, Jose Gonzalez, Ashtar Command and William Elliot Whitmore.

Really looking forward to the limited edition with the soundtrack included. But it did make me feel like a total nerd when the store called me up to let me know the release is delayed for a week. Fiance "Who was that on the phone?" Me "Oh, just the video game store telling me I have to wait an extra week for the game I ordered." Twas a mighty shake of the head I recieved. :lol: Its apparently been delayed in scandinavia due to the volcano. Pahhhh... The rest of you guys are safe.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 17, 2010 8:19 pm

So glad I pre ordered this. I thought it looked amazing. Still do. I can very easily see this being the game I enjoy most this console generation. I've always been enthralled by the old west, and this game looks to capture that essence in spades. God, I just can't say enough. Awesome.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue May 18, 2010 11:04 pm

To truly score a ten, then, a game must surpass mere excellence. It must scale some kind of Olympian summit and boldly gaze upon the divine countenance of whatever deity it is that gamers worship. No kidding.

Red Dead Redemption is not just the definitive sandbox gaming experience, nor simply the best Wild West videogame (hardly a challenge), it is developer Rockstar’s crowning achievement to date.

Nice.

I just heard there's going to be a ton of developers online playing this for the first month, and if you're one of those guys that like achievements/trophies, you might want to get on, because one of the big achievements is to kill a dev in the online game.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby monorail77 on Thu May 20, 2010 11:33 am

Hi Gang, been awhile.
I just got this game for the PS3. I understand you can form a posse with friends for online play. Anybody want to do that? I'm not sure how to do it exactly but wanted to see if there was interest among my favourite online pals.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu May 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Welcome back monorail!

You should probably take a look at the Playstation 3 thread and "friend" some of the folks over there, I know there'll be at least a couple of PS3-playing Zoners that will take a crack at this game (which does look awesome, btw, the first sandbox game that I would consider playing).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 20, 2010 1:34 pm

This game looks like lots of fun. I'll probably pick it up once the price drops a bit. I can wait. There's other stuff to amuse me in the meantimewhile (booze).
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Thu May 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:This game looks like lots of fun. I'll probably pick it up once the price drops a bit. I can wait. There's other stuff to amuse me in the meantimewhile (booze).

I still hammer away on GTA: Vice City every chance I get(even though I've finished it).

It's just nice to walk around in there.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:I still hammer away on GTA: Vice City every chance I get(even though I've finished it).

Vice City is definately the best of the series so far. Good cars, good city, good era.

And it's best on PC. The targetting systems on the consoles aren't as good as a keyboard and mouse. Of any console game, I liked the targetting system in Crackdown the best. Looking forward to Crackdown 2. I'll probably ask for that for Christmas.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Wolfpack on Thu May 20, 2010 6:36 pm

From what I've read of the reviews of this game, it doesn't sound like anyone will be done in time for Alpha Protocol on June 1. Much less Super Mario Galaxy 2. Damn, they sure are trying to kill us with a deluge of awesome games.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu May 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:I still hammer away on GTA: Vice City every chance I get(even though I've finished it).

Vice City is definately the best of the series so far. Good cars, good city, good era.

And it's best on PC. The targetting systems on the consoles aren't as good as a keyboard and mouse. Of any console game, I liked the targetting system in Crackdown the best. Looking forward to Crackdown 2. I'll probably ask for that for Christmas.

I beg to differ, Vice City is best played on PS2. The control system is the most natural in the world. Vice City had the best sound track, considering it was spring boarded from GTA.
I think after that, it become too much of a mixed bag. GTA was innovative, Vice City took it further and the rest were too much of an extension and not so much innovation.

Not that I don't like them...I think they are awesome and still play both 3 and 4 now.

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu May 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Back when i had the dreamcast, i had an argument with a ps2 fanboy because i was looking forward to Shenmue 2 & the only game that mattered to him at the time was GTA 3. They were different games completely & that's what made both of them good.

When San Andreas came out, the argument sprang to mind again. It was the biggest GTA game, it had a great story & soundtrack, but they tacked on all these "realistic" things like learning to fight using different styles, needing to eat, going to the gym all the time to improve your stamina, having a girlfriend & other trivial shit that shouldn't be in an action game. GTA4 has a lot of the same problems.

Vice City was the shit though. The Story, the radio, the references to 80's movies...

Having played it on the PC & the Ps2, i think the PS2 version plays better, but the PC version looks better. It's not a first person shooter & the guns lock on to the targets, so you have no need for the precision only a mouse can deliver.
The XBOX version came out after both had the same GFX as the pc version, but it had some problems of it's own.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Vice City was the shit though. The Story, the radio, the references to 80's movies...

You deserve to be run over, then someone get out the car, spank you over the back of the head with a baseball bat, steal your money and drive over your body until your blood stains the tyres and the pavement...only after I've paid you for sex, mind.

I'm quite happy accepting a one star for that KON. ;)

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu May 20, 2010 9:43 pm

That's another weird thing.
If you just start Vice City & start gunning down the police, blowing up cars & cause as much havoc as possible, you can only get 3 wanted stars.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri May 21, 2010 12:01 am

If you're on the fence over which version to buy, here's a quickie article I found:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/read-dead-redemption-360-vs-ps3-our-thoughts.ars

This is non-scientific, but after playing an hour of both games, and switching back and forth between the two systems on our display, it's clear that the 360 version has quite the graphical advantage. It's sharper, with much less aliasing. The faces of the characters were clearer in the opening section. Gameplay sections likewise looked better, with smoother graphics across the board. The PlayStation 3 version looked impressive, but there was a noticeable jump in quality while playing on the 360.

Keep in mind that the game doesn't look bad on the PS3—not by any stretch—but based on our time with the game and direct comparisons, the 360 version looks better. If you purchase the PS3 version of the game you're not going to be let down, but if you have the choice, pick up a copy for the 360.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue May 25, 2010 7:46 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:Having played it on the PC & the Ps2, i think the PS2 version plays better, but the PC version looks better. It's not a first person shooter & the guns lock on to the targets, so you have no need for the precision only a mouse can deliver.

I may not have need of that precision, but I like it. I found when the autotarget system didn't work the way I wanted it to. That shuffling through the targets was slow (or maybe I was just slow at it) and it didn't prioritize well, as in it wouldn't pick the guy who was the biggest threat or even a guy who was shooting you as the first target.

I also found I liked to kill by blowing up cars that would explode and kill everybody around them and the autotarget system made that harder than the PC mouse and keyboard.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue May 25, 2010 9:58 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:That's another weird thing.
If you just start Vice City & start gunning down the police, blowing up cars & cause as much havoc as possible, you can only get 3 wanted stars.

I've played it a few times using full on cheat codes.

You grab a boat or chopper and the second you do anything, every Swat/Army guy is on your ass with full wanted stars. I've never made it more than 10 seconds in that barrage. Same with the Army base at the airport. Madness. Actually, I've spent hours on the tarmac behind the airport doing jumps and shit. Nobody really bothers you back there.

Damn, now I want to play it again.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue May 25, 2010 8:11 pm

This is a really good game. Been playing it a bit. Great times. If you're still on the fence about buying it, I say it's certainly worth your money. It's got a fabulous single player, and the multiplayer isn't too shabby either.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed May 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:This is a really good game. Been playing it a bit. Great times. If you're still on the fence about buying it, I say it's certainly worth your money. It's got a fabulous single player, and the multiplayer isn't too shabby either.

Just bought it. Now I need a good 12 hours to sit and absorb it.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby papalazeru on Wed May 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:This is a really good game. Been playing it a bit. Great times. If you're still on the fence about buying it, I say it's certainly worth your money. It's got a fabulous single player, and the multiplayer isn't too shabby either.

Just bought it. Now I need a good 12 hours to sit and absorb it.

Amateur! Everyone knows the GTA format, go out and do some harm!!!!

My first go, I killed a bunch of shit, then got bored and decided to so boring missions. I got a lasso from it!

First thing I did?

A lady flagged me down for help, I shot her villainous cohorts, roped her legs, dragged her for 5 minutes across cacti territory, hog tied her then dumped her on the rail track and waited for the 8:15

:)

I loved every minute of it. what's to absorb?

papalazeru

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed May 26, 2010 8:27 pm

papalazeru wrote:My first go, I killed a bunch of shit, then got bored and decided to so boring missions. I got a lasso from it!

First thing I did?

A lady flagged me down for help, I shot her villainous cohorts, roped her legs, dragged her for 5 minutes across cacti territory, hog tied her then dumped her on the rail track and waited for the 8:15

Okay, after reading that I'll jump right in. Absorb shmabsorb. :-P
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby papalazeru on Wed May 26, 2010 9:06 pm

papalazeru wrote:My first go, I killed a bunch of shit, then got bored and decided to so boring missions. I got a lasso from it!

First thing I did?

Red Dead Redemption = OLEG!!!!

papalazeru

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 pm

papalazeru wrote:

First thing I did?

Red Dead Redemption = OLEG!!!!

Precisely.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby McTalbayne on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Great game, but damn is it buggy!
McTalbayne
GLIB

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:03 pm

McTalbayne wrote:Great game, but damn is it buggy!

I've seen some of the bugs on youtube and such, but I've not run into any in person.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:11 pm

I just beat it at about 25 hours with 82% completion and never ran into any bugs during the single player.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:16 pm

I havent seen any bugs either. Been on it for around 8 hours now. As a matter of interest, what systems are you guys playing it on?

My names Herm, and im a 360 player with no glitches.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Hermanator X wrote:I havent seen any bugs either. Been on it for around 8 hours now.

I've come across thousands of critters though.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:34 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:I havent seen any bugs either. Been on it for around 8 hours now.

And I thought I was sick just for skinning them. :wink: :twisted:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

And I thought I was sick just for skinning them. :wink: :twisted:

Look what happens when you take sleeping with harlots out of the equation.

papalazeru

Postby McTalbayne on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:03 am

Hermanator X wrote:I havent seen any bugs either. Been on it for around 8 hours now. As a matter of interest, what systems are you guys playing it on?

Ive been playing it on the 360. The majority of the bugs i encountered were in multiplayer. I have however had some major bugs on single player that have caused me to have to reset the game. Characters floating, the game not responding to essential button presses (Hit Y to hogtie victim, mount horse, etc), the worst though was when i entered thieves landing in the middle of a shootout and the game slowed to a crawl that it wouldnt come out of.
McTalbayne
GLIB

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:11 pm

Who doesn't like free DLC? Rockstar seems to be doing really cool stuff with this.

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114750
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:35 am

McTalbayne wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:I havent seen any bugs either. Been on it for around 8 hours now. As a matter of interest, what systems are you guys playing it on?

Ive been playing it on the 360. The majority of the bugs i encountered were in multiplayer. I have however had some major bugs on single player that have caused me to have to reset the game. Characters floating, the game not responding to essential button presses (Hit Y to hogtie victim, mount horse, etc), the worst though was when i entered thieves landing in the middle of a shootout and the game slowed to a crawl that it wouldnt come out of.

I saw my first glitch last night. I rescued a stolen wagon for a lady at the side of the road. When I returned it to her, she thanked me, and rode off in the wagon.
For some strange reason her animation messed up. Alternating between sitting and standing on the wagon really quickly, she pogoed away into the sunset.
It made me laugh lots.

Great game though, really digging it, and im still only on the first area. Just really taking my time, and doing hunter gatherer challenges and the like. Im in no rush to complete it, and enjoying taking my time doing so.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:22 am

Gah. Wanna play. bad.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:30 am

magicmonkey wrote:Gah. Wanna play. bad.

You have to live vicariously through youtube clips.

Muahahahahah!

It's pretty entertaining. There's a really good moment towards the end of the game. I'm not going to spoil it but, it's...interesting

papalazeru

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:15 am

papalazeru wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:Gah. Wanna play. bad.

You have to live vicariously through youtube clips.

Muahahahahah!

It's pretty entertaining. There's a really good moment towards the end of the game. I'm not going to spoil it but, it's...interesting

it better involve a child propping up a hanging man whilst a harmonica plays!

I was just watching some stuff on the recently unblocked vimeo, and oddly it dampened my geek fervour slightly.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Next

Return to Games