Alan Wake - The Stephen King simulator

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Alan Wake - The Stephen King simulator

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Some info on Alan Wake, a new xbox exclusive coming soon..

http://kotaku.com/5474668/alan-wake-preview-the-first-full-episode

5 years in the making, and looking very silent hill esque.

Alan Wake has been in development by Max Payne makers Remedy Entertainment for more than half a decade, showing up at big gaming trade shows, then vanishing. It's been back, making the rounds, since E3 of last year. The game stars the fictional thriller-writer Alan Wake, who goes on a getaway with his wife, Alice, to the Pacific northwest town of Bright Falls. He's suffering writer's block and his marriage is in a bit of trouble. But the game focuses on things getting worse, as Alan becomes a man on the run. On the outskirts of Bright Falls, Alan must try to survive to survive the enveloping darkness and weirdness, armed with just a flashlight and a gun, while a shadowy presence sends possessed men wielding axes at his heels and hurls logging trucks flying toward his face.

The game is a thriller. It's T-rated, Microsoft announced today, and doesn't aspire to be the kind of scary game we've played before. Remedy writer Sam Lake described the game to me as a "smart, tightly-paced story" and as a "thriller." I asked him earlier this week what he meant be smart. "This is more of a thriller than a horror game," he said. "When you talk about horror in video games, it usually means blood and gore." He said the Remedy team wanted something other than cheap chills. "We want to make sure there are no scares just for the sake of scares," he said. Everything, all of the game's creepiness, will cohere into a narrative.

Looking good to me.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: Alan Wake - The Stephen King simulator

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 pm

It would've been cool if they made the main character look like Stephen King, with the coke bottle glasses and all.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:41 am

Gameplay preview from the Guardian

I like the sound of this game more and more, fingers crossed that its shaping up nicely...
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:It would've been cool if they made the main character look like Stephen King, with the coke bottle glasses and all.

Even better if you were to do battle with evil minivans.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:10 pm

This game was on my radar BIG TIME back in 2004 or so. But alas, the world has moved on. The developers seemed to drag their feet so much, and so many other captivating games have filled the void that ALAN WAKE seemed to be trying for, that is doesn't seem as cool. Also, I'm especially wary of anything released episodically.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:59 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:This game was on my radar BIG TIME back in 2004 or so. But alas, the world has moved on. The developers seemed to drag their feet so much, and so many other captivating games have filled the void that ALAN WAKE seemed to be trying for, that is doesn't seem as cool. Also, I'm especially wary of anything released episodically.

I dont think its released episodically. Its all on one disc, but the levels are broken down into episodes. So when you progress from one to the next, you get "previously on" which probably gives you some reminders of past events in the games story. Which is kind of cool, as one of the main things with long games is that you forget quite a bit of the plot. For instance, on something like mass effect I have around 30 hours logged so far, but im buggered if I can remember all of the plot points.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:27 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:This game was on my radar BIG TIME back in 2004 or so. But alas, the world has moved on. The developers seemed to drag their feet so much, and so many other captivating games have filled the void that ALAN WAKE seemed to be trying for, that is doesn't seem as cool. Also, I'm especially wary of anything released episodically.

I totally agree with this. I think that anything that used to be unique to it will be gone and ironed out in the FUCKING LONG PERIOD between 2004 and 20-Bleedin-10.

It would take STELLAR reviews to convince me otherwise.

( I so <3 this thread title tho)!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Return to Games