Game remakes

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Game remakes

Postby ReynardCity on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:30 am

Ok, I've used a search and this (as a topic) hasn't come up. My question is, with modern games, if you could remake anything, what would you do?

For me personally, a 3D graphic version of Streets of Rage would be enormously pleasing. I loved the side scrolling beatem up genre, and finding that kind of the game for the PS2 (that doesn't come with needless puzzles and other adornments) is like looking for rocking horse poo.
"It's a bit like 90's Frank Miller...until you get to the slapstick fist fights" David Reynolds UEA Headlights on Reynard City Issue 12

http://www.reynardcity.co.uk
ReynardCity
GLIB

Re: Game remakes

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:04 am

ReynardCity wrote:Ok, I've used a search and this (as a topic) hasn't come up. My question is, with modern games, if you could remake anything, what would you do?

For me personally, a 3D graphic version of Streets of Rage would be enormously pleasing. I loved the side scrolling beatem up genre, and finding that kind of the game for the PS2 (that doesn't come with needless puzzles and other adornments) is like looking for rocking horse poo.

Isn't making a 3D version of a side scrolling game negate the side scrolling effect, thus making the remake not a remake? :shock:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby ReynardCity on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 am

You raise a good point. I shall clarify- the graphics would be 3D, ie not sprites. However, I would maintain the flat levels and linear gameplay ie walking around punching/kicking/throwing people but with slightly nicer graphics. Oh and maybe throw in more inventive weapons a la Die Hard Arcade (clocks, deodrant, flame thrower etc)
"It's a bit like 90's Frank Miller...until you get to the slapstick fist fights" David Reynolds UEA Headlights on Reynard City Issue 12

ReynardCity
GLIB

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:17 am

I think a bunch of 3D games should be remade into 2D.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:34 am

ReynardCity wrote:Ok, I've used a search and this (as a topic) hasn't come up. My question is, with modern games, if you could remake anything, what would you do?

Invincible Tiger is a 3D, sidescrolling beat 'em up. You can download it on the 360 & PS3. It has more in common with Kung Fu & Shaolin's Road, but it's as close as i can think to what you're looking for.

Other than that, TMNT:Turtles In Time was remade in 3D, it's good, but looses some of the charm the original had.

Other games made the jump to 3D & axed the sidescrolling in favour of a third person view, like Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks & Final Fight: Streetwise. Shaolin Monks was pretty good

Streetwise was not.

I'd like to see a remake of the original Star Wars arcade game. It was vector based & played kinda like Elite.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Al Shut on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:43 am

Remade to be accessible for a new generation of consoles/players or remade to benefit from new, modern technology.

Depending on that the answer would be everything or nothing. Yeah, I'm hopelessly stuck in the past.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby ReynardCity on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:30 am

LOL Al I'm still on PS2 :D

If I ever do get a pS3, Invincible Tiger will be first on the list (that and Sega Mega Drive Collection :D)

ReynardCity
GLIB

Postby Chilli on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:56 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I think a bunch of 3D games should be remade into 2D.

I find your opinions fascinating. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

Oh - and 3D Streets of Rage? Maybe a sequel. Just coding the old one into 3D would feel weird. The basic approach of it is what makes it work. It's not something like The Legend of Zelda which was a franchise that seemed tailor-made for a fully interactive environment.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:19 pm

They have been

Chilli wrote:

I find your opinions fascinating. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

Oh - and 3D Streets of Rage? Maybe a sequel. Just coding the old one into 3D would feel weird. The basic approach of it is what makes it work. It's not something like The Legend of Zelda which was a franchise that seemed tailor-made for a fully interactive environment.

Streets of rage needs a sprite based HD game.

If you look at the recent 3D remakes of TMNT, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Lode Runner & even Sonic 4, they've all lost something by converting to 3D based animation. With Worms 2: Armageddon & Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, the HD 2D artwork makes them look almost flawless.

The Toki remake is another one that's kept 2D art, it looks fantastic as well.

Capcom seem to have cracked it with Street Fighter IV, but it took 3 SF:EX games in order to get there.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Al Shut on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:11 am

I'm still stuck on a PS2 too

And the more I think about it the more I realize my favorite genre, the Japanese style RPG, hasn't much benefited from 'modern technologies' or 'gaming trends' at all
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby ReynardCity on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:27 am

A year ago I had a Christmas temp job at a game shop and it became painfully obvious that PS3s were far too expensive, and this is what gave X Box 360 and Wii a way in. Ninetendo were smart- they knew they couldn't beat either Sony or Microsoft on graphics, so literally went back to basics.

OK, maybe sprite would be better for Streets of Rage (or slightly updated). My prob is near equivalents like the Tekken 5 Jin game or Spiderman 3 add extra gaming elements that are annoying and frustrating.

It's sad, sometimes I feel like an old man and all I really want is a game you plug in and press start :D

ReynardCity
GLIB

Postby papalazeru on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:18 am

If you're going to remake anything, let it be so that it's a completely new format.

For example, when Mario was updated to 3D, it really added whole new dimensions to gameplay. Mario Galaxy also did it but with a Neo-2D effect at points. At the same time you were playing a 3D game, there were times where the game would turn 2D and almost reinvent the wheel.

I think if you were going to do Streets of Rage, I wouldn't want to see it as just a 3D beat 'em up. There's so many of those about, so give it a new angle, do something innovative.

The Xbox market seems to have a way of updating many of the old game but it still really doesn't change it so differently that it offers anything new to the genre.

If it's done, I would like it done properly.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

CONTRA 2011

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:01 am

Hard Corps - Launch Trailer

It's cartoon Contra and it's out next week!
Hard Corps Uprising is not technically a Contra game -- but don't doubt for a second that this game carries its DNA. This hardcore action game has both feet firmly planted in the 16-bit generation.

Hard Corps: Uprising Review: Everything A Contra Fan Could Ask For…Except The Name

Hard Corps: Uprising is new Contra for XBLA and PSN

Konami slaps a price on Hard Corps: Uprising

Hard Corps: Uprising
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Games