Are PC Games still alive?

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Are PC Games still alive?

Postby kallen360 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:21 pm

I read that PC game sales are up considerably over console games. I'm not a hard-core gamer myself and wondering if people are actually playing these games sitting at their PC or playing them via their 42 inch TVs? Can someone enlighten me to the appeal of playing games on their PC or Mac? Are people playing against other people online? Wouldn't playing Madden 11 with a controller be easier than playing with a mouse of keyboard?
kallen360
GLIB

Re: Are PC Games still alive?

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 pm

kallen360 wrote:I read that PC game sales are up considerably over console games. I'm not a hard-core gamer myself and wondering if people are actually playing these games sitting at their PC or playing them via their 42 inch TVs?

Some do.

Can someone enlighten me to the appeal of playing games on their PC or Mac?

More diverse range of genres and game types. Generally better performance, as PCs tend to evolve at a faster rate than consoles and so the games do too. Often games are cheaper than their console counterparts.

Are people playing against other people online?

Yes. They have been doing so since c.1991. Steam is now the preferred platform of not only playing online against other people, but also purchasing and downloading games. (~25 million active users now apparently)

Wouldn't playing Madden 11 with a controller be easier than playing with a mouse of keyboard?

Not all PC games are controlled with a mouse & keyboard.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:31 pm

kallen360 wrote: I'm not a hard-core gamer myself and wondering if people are actually playing these games sitting at their PC or playing them via their 42 inch TVs?

I do all my gaming on a 32 inch Samsung HDTV.

Add-ons
Map packs have only really made it to consoles during this generation, pc gamers have had the option of using them for over a decade.

Customisation
The ability to change almost everything from how your display, character & enemies look to how much damage they can take/give out.

A sense of community.
You can play the same server a few times & get to know the people on it, visit their site & join in on discussions...

Bug-fixes
Play TF2 on the ps3/xbox, then play a vanilla server on the pc version & behold the glory of developer support.

Performance
e.g. The graphics hardware in consoles is several generations older than what is available for pc owners.

Yes, but so are a lot of console owners, so it's became less & less of a reason to use a pc for gaming.

Wouldn't playing Madden 11 with a controller be easier than playing with a mouse of keyboard?

Yes, but playing John Madden American Football on the Genesis/Megadrive is easier than playing Madden 11 on the 360...
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:51 pm

I've written my stuff in green so as not to be confused with FG's info.

Fried Gold wrote:
kallen360 wrote:I read that PC game sales are up considerably over console games. I'm not a hard-core gamer myself and wondering if people are actually playing these games sitting at their PC or playing them via their 42 inch TVs?

Some do.

Monitors have come a long way since the old CRT 4:3 formats. My monitor is a 24 inch which is plenty sufficient but, as is with the TV market, I always want more. To be honest I can play my PC on my 52 inch TV, I choose not to,

More diverse range of genres and game types. Generally better performance, as PCs tend to evolve at a faster rate than consoles and so the games do too. Often games are cheaper than their console counterparts.

Games are generally far superior on PC/Mac - not always. Case in point GTV 3 onwards, a game that was built for the PS3 controller but FPS's really are built for a mouse and some form of keyboard. Audio and visually, it depends on how dedicated the programmers are, like any game, but PC games are usually designed with future upgrades in mind (Crysis being the best example as it's still used for frame rate testing)

Yes. They have been doing so since c.1991. Steam is now the preferred platform of not only playing online against other people, but also purchasing and downloading games. (~25 million active users now apparently)

Lord Gold is right, Here's the statistics of people who have just played today, at the top there is sitting Modern Warfare (because if you're going to buy that douche of a game and all it's satanic little expensive DLC parts, you're gonna play it). There are other statistics on the side of that page if you're interested as well.

Not all PC games are controlled with a mouse & keyboard.

The one thing about using a computer is we've managed to develop transferable skills, we can type and not just thunk a button. As I clarified above, some games are just built for a console controller but with a PC (personal computer), smart thinkers that we are, we've devised ways of making controllers work on out machines, so there is never a loss, only advantages.

Also, I should point out that the PC gaming market is much larger than console - and I mean by folds, not by like a few thousand. PC gamers can connect on local networks, using IP addresses for computer to computer, or they can create their on ad hoc servers and none of it is monetised. Unfortunately, sole console owners, with a bit of education will realise how much wool pulling is done over their eyes in the coming years because on PC it's all FREE. Xbox try to laud it with sanctimonious bullshit like, 'We have dedicated servers specifically for Xbox users, or a specific game' but the truth is, so does PC for free, and with amazing connection rates (sometimes I get a ping as low as 6!!!). Check out Steam, not a single game (apart from MMORPG'S) charges for online play.

One last point, what's your definition of hard core gamer? I consider myself a hard core game since I had computers from a very young age, dabbled in programming, built my own computers and have almost 30 years of games playing knowledge and experience to call upon. I consider that a hard core gamer. I do know that consolers have a different definition. I would just like to know what your opinion?

And now I see KoN's online. KON!!! Get online for some free pwning on TF2!!!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:57 pm

Can't, about to record a podcast.

Might be on later.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:57 pm

I vastly prefer the keyboard-mouse set up in every game genre except for sports games (and I don't play those that often). Even shooters. But then I kinda "grew up" playing Battlefield 1942 as far as shooters are concerned. Do any consoles have a keyboard/mouse peripheral that you can buy and use? If they did, I might play my 360 more often.

As someone who is now kinda addicted to MMORPGs, I don't see myself ditching the old PC anytime soon. Games like WoW would be unplayable with a controller. Nearly 6 years after launch, World of Warcraft sill has something like 10 million worldwide subscribers and is coming out with yet another expansion within the next couple of months. PC gaming isn't going away.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby kallen360 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks all, this is very helpful. I just started to work with a company that has a gaming enhancement (software) for the PC/Mac gaming space and I see that online gaming is alive and well. It's not my intent to plug any company, I just wanted to better understand the appeal of one over the other. It would have been my assumption (bad one) that people may trial a game online or watch trailers and purchase the console game for Xbox/Wii/Playstation.

I have the basics for a gamer, Playstation, Wii, and an old Nintendo 64. Big Madden and NHL fan and I just haven't got into the first person shooter or driving games, but I enjoy playing them from time to time.

Reply directly if you want to try the software, I'll send you a license for the insight.

k360
kallen360
GLIB

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:15 pm

kallen360 wrote:Thanks all, this is very helpful. I just started to work with a company that has a gaming enhancement (software) for the PC/Mac gaming space and I see that online gaming is alive and well. It's not my intent to plug any company, I just wanted to better understand the appeal of one over the other.

Reply directly if you want to try the software, I'll send you a license for the insight.

...and this moves to Promotional.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:08 pm

I say we try to turn it into a general pc gaming thread...
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 am

Two words: Starcraft 2

And another two words: Strategy games

These things are more or less exclusively enjoyed on PCs, and they are awesome.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:19 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Two words: Starcraft 2

That's because of the higher IQ of computer gamers.

papalazeru

Postby travis-dane on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:57 pm

papalazeru wrote:

Yeah right, thats why you need to keep feeding money to your PC, if you wanna play state of the art, you need to upgrade every year or so.
I got a highend computer right now, but I dont use it for gaming. I bought a X Box 360 three years ago and I still can play the best games out there.
If I would try to play a state of the art game on a three year old PC, I would need to go with the lowest settings possible, that is IF the game would run on the lowest settings and still be playable.
So, if you wanna have fun for 5 to 8 years, buy a console, if you wanna keep throwing money away every year, then go for a PC.
But if you wanna play those "strategy" games, then you need a PC. Like my GF, who really loves the Anno games and it really looks fantastic on our PC, but on my old HP PC, it would not even run.
But for my FPS and Third person shooter stuff and racing games and sports games, I prefer my console.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:02 pm

travis-dane wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Yeah right, thats why you need to keep feeding money to your PC, if you wanna play state of the art, you need to upgrade every year or so.
I got a highend computer right now, but I dont use it for gaming. I bought a X Box 360 three years ago and I still can play the best games out there.
If I would try to play a state of the art game on a three year old PC, I would need to go with the lowest settings possible, that is IF the game would run on the lowest settings and still be playable.
So, if you wanna have fun for 5 to 8 years, buy a console, if you wanna keep throwing money away every year, then go for a PC.
But if you wanna play those "strategy" games, then you need a PC. Like my GF, who really loves the Anno games and it really looks fantastic on our PC, but on my old HP PC, it would not even run.
But for my FPS and Third person shooter stuff and racing games and sports games, I prefer my console.

Hehe! I knew I'd get a rise out of someone ;)

You're right, certain games are built for playing on a console. I certainly don't think the computer market would have been so innovative with hand held control systems; Nintendo being a prime example. As I said earlier, I wouldn't play GTA games on a PC without having a PS2 or PS3 controller plugged in because it's a game built around the enjoyment of the control system and best suits its needs. I couldn't in my wildest dreams imagine playing TF2 on a controller though, I'd feel impotent. I did have the pleasure of playing Halo on PC and on Xbox, with all the fuss about the AI on expert level, it was easy to spot the difference. Lightning reflexes with mouse and keyboard made light work of all the minions in the game whereas on console, it was really quite difficult.

Racing, Sports and 3rd person, I agree, they really do suit the needs of the console and as you mentioned, with the PC, to play top notch graphics you do need to update your machine every once in a while but it's not that frequently. When you buy your computer, you expect those graphics, and when things advance, you can't expect to play games with the same level of detail when it uses an extra bagillion polygons, with Console, it always stays the same. The one interesting thing with consoles which is unfortunately dying out thanks to the inclusion of the hard drive, is the ability to use as many resources as possible in as tightly package processing power. We saw it at the end of the 16 bit era where they would drive machines to their limit, now it's all on a hard drive almost noone bothers with sensible programming.

papalazeru

Return to Games