The PC Gaming Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

The PC Gaming Thread

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:47 pm

Because it looks like we don't have one.

I've tweeted about this, but it's worth posting as well...

humblebundle wrote:The Humble Indie Bundle #2

Pay what you want. If you bought these five games separately, it would cost around $85 but we're letting you set the price!

All of the games work great on Mac, Windows, and Linux.

We don't use DRM. When you buy these games, they are yours. Feel free to play them without an internet connection, back them up, and install them on all of your Macs and PCs freely. There is no time-limit on your downloads.

You can support charity. Choose exactly how your purchase money is divided: Between the game developers, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, or the Child's Play Charity. Also, if you like this deal, a tip to the Humble Bundle itself would be much appreciated!

The games:
Braid
Cortex Command
Machinarium
Osmos
Revenge of the Titans.

The link:
http://www.humblebundle.com
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: The PC Gaming Thread

Postby PatrickMannix on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:40 am

STEAM had some good deals over the holiday, picked a few titles very cheap.

Currently playing GTA IV, Dirt2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2

ATI 5870
Logitech G9x mouse
Logitech G35 headset
Logitech illuminated keyboard
Xbox360 PC game pad
!!!!!!!!!AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAWUM
PatrickMannix
GLIB

Crysis 2

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:54 am

Ships with a press start screen, no quicksave option, no advanced gfx settings (HDR lighting, motion blur, fov, etc.), DX9 with no option to turn on DX11 or even DX10, no support for SLI/crossfire...

Day one patch changes the "press start" screen to "press enter" and removes auto-aim.

Looks like Crytek were so pissed off with people pirating the original Crysis that they concentrated on consoles this time round.

I'll be avoiding it.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: Crysis 2

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:03 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:Ships with a press start screen, no quicksave option, no advanced gfx settings (HDR lighting, motion blur, fov, etc.), DX9 with no option to turn on DX11 or even DX10, no support for SLI/crossfire...

Day one patch changes the "press start" screen to "press enter" and removes auto-aim.

Looks like Crytek were so pissed off with people pirating the original Crysis that they concentrated on consoles this time round.

I'll be avoiding it.

IGN gave it a glowing review (9/10). The lack of DX11 (or even 10!) support is pretty shocking.

I was looking forward to getting the PS3 version but IGN slammed it for having shittier graphics than the 360 version. :evil:
Fuckers.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Crysis 2

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 am

Fievel wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:Ships with a press start screen, no quicksave option, no advanced gfx settings (HDR lighting, motion blur, fov, etc.), DX9 with no option to turn on DX11 or even DX10, no support for SLI/crossfire...

I'll be avoiding it.

IGN gave it a glowing review (9/10). The lack of DX11 (or even 10!) support is pretty shocking.

I was looking forward to getting the PS3 version but IGN slammed it for having shittier graphics than the 360 version. :evil:
Fuckers.

The DX issue is ridiculous.
It's DX9 out of the box because that's what the 360 & PS3 are, but the original Crysis was DX 10 with DX9 support.
Everything i've read so far places the Crytek 3 engine at about a generation before the Crytek 2 one (which Crysis & Crysis: Warhead used).

The motion blur & hdr bloom will make it look pretty while you're running through, but it's just masking the lower texture sizes & polygon counts.
A lot of the fun in the original was just walking about looking at the landscape, punching things & being amazed at the physics.
The massive maps have been replaced with straight paths (hammered home by the inclusion of a checkpoint system rather than the ability to quicksave just before you cloak & get your stealth on).

It's a shame, I was really looking forward to this as well.
Even upgraded my pc quite a bit around the time the specs were announced.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:51 pm

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Team Fortress 2 is now free!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:54 am

Team Fortress 2 is now Free to Play

June 23, 2011—Valve, creators of bestselling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), announced today that after four years and over 200 updates, its popular and critically-acclaimed online action game Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is now Free To Play (F2P).
The F2P announcement comes as part of the "Über Update". Released today, it is the largest content pack delivered to TF2 since it shipped in 2007.

New players interested in experiencing what PC Gamer calls "the most fun you can have online" will have access to training and offline practice modes, so they can hone their skills before jumping into the ever-expanding TF2 universe.
To celebrate the launch of the Über Update, Valve has released "Meet the Medic," the latest in its series of TF2 animated shorts.

TF2 is now Free to Play for PC & Mac players via Steam.

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: Team Fortress 2 is now free!

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:13 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:Team Fortress 2 is now Free to Play

June 23, 2011—Valve, creators of bestselling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), announced today that after four years and over 200 updates, its popular and critically-acclaimed online action game Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is now Free To Play (F2P).
The F2P announcement comes as part of the "Über Update". Released today, it is the largest content pack delivered to TF2 since it shipped in 2007.

New players interested in experiencing what PC Gamer calls "the most fun you can have online" will have access to training and offline practice modes, so they can hone their skills before jumping into the ever-expanding TF2 universe.
To celebrate the launch of the Über Update, Valve has released "Meet the Medic," the latest in its series of TF2 animated shorts.

TF2 is now Free to Play for PC & Mac players via Steam.

So Zoners...There's another thing for you all to jump into. Get your SteamID's and start posting.

And prepare to meet 'V-Jay-Jay' my spy knife.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Humble Indie Bundle 3

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:24 am

HumbleBundle.com wrote:Pay what you want. If you bought these five games separately, it would cost around $50, but we're letting you set the price!

All of the games work great on Mac, Windows, and Linux.

We don't use DRM. When you buy these games, they are yours. Feel free to play them without an internet connection, back them up, and install them on all of your Macs and PCs freely. There is no time-limit on your downloads.

You can support charity. Choose exactly how your purchase is divided: Between the developers, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, or the Child's Play Charity. Also, if you like this deal, a tip to the Humble Bundle itself would be much appreciated!

the 4 games are:
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Cogs
VVVVVV
Hammerflight
And Yet it Moves!

But that's not all!
Order now & receive Minecraft free until the 14th of August!
CLICK HERE NOW TO BUY!
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: Humble Indie Bundle 3

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 am

I may get this just for a legit Minecraft install. Speaking of Minecraft, who else is across the most interesting event in gaming since Portal2?
Chain World. How long 'til we see an online version?

HHHAAAPPPYYYBBBIIIRRRTTTHHHDDDAAAYYYKKKOOONNN!!!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:41 am

heh, cheers.

The bundle is worth it just for VVVVVV. It's like a spectrum/C64 game, but it's got a lot more screens than things like the Dizzy games. They just updated to version 2.0 & it includes a lot of new stuff (including a map designed by Notch, of Minecraft fame).
Cogs is good if you're into slider puzzles. I kinda got sick of it during the Portal 2 potato grind though.
Crayon Physics Deluxe is a lot of fun. It's so simple, but few games exist where you can progress by drawing a cock to use as a hammer.
Not played the others yet, so i dunno how they'll be.

Last year the HIB made so much money that they gave away all the games from the original bundle, so you might end up getting a lot more games for your money.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

No More S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games :(

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:12 am

GSC Game World have closed.

The were behind the Cossacks, American Conquest & S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

The first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sold like hot cakes & was spun off into about 45 books (none of which are available in English) & a live action TV show, so it doesn't look like cash was the issue.

Sergey Galyonkin wrote:So, I wasn’t going to write about this before I could talk to Grigorovich, but he isn’t picking up phone and there is a lot of rumors around, so I’ve decided to clarify some things. I don’t work at GSC, but I know a lot of people there and here is what I got after talking to them. This is purely unofficial of course.

GSC is no more. Almost everyone is let go, only few people left and still employed. STALKER 2 project is closed.

My friends in GSC believe that the reason for that is failed console publishing deal. GSC couldn’t sign any publisher for STALKER 2 on consoles, and GSC wasn’t strong enough to do it all by itself. STALKER 2 was going to become PC exlcusive, which isn’t a great future for story-driven game.

Some say that Grigorovich demanded a lot from publishers and his terms were unacceptable, some say that publishers didn’t like setting – Eastern European postapocalypse is not that popular outside Europe. I don’t know which is true, but guess it is a bit of both.

Also, some people at GSC say that Grigorovich wasn’t happy with quality of STALKER 2, but others say it was going to be a great game and huge improvement over first one. One guy said that Grigorovich was tired of game development and no longer interested in STALKER at all, but I don’t believe it, knowing Sergey for last ten years. He might be tired, yes, but he loved STALKER.

I’ve read on Ukranews about «goverment agencies trying to take over GSC». None of my friends confirms it. It is just not possible: only thing that valuable in GSC is it’s IP and it is registered outside Ukraine. Also, I’ve heard numerous people saying that Grigorovich talked to them about closing GSC for a year now.

I don’t know what will happen to STALKER next. Grigorovich might sell or lease it to other companies: there was at some point browser-based STALKER game in production. But there is only one studio in Ukraine that can handle this – 4A Games, creators of original STALKER. And they’re not exactly friends with Grigorovich. As for other Eastern European developers (from Poland or Bulgaria) – I don’t believe they can do STALKER 2 justice. Some are just too good to work for IP that is not their own and some don’t have enough experience.

An official statement will be made on Monday.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Humble Indie Bundle 4

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:50 pm

We're ready to drop seven new cross-platform, DRM-free games down your digital chimney. Bandage your fingertips and prepare your mind for the challenges of:
Super Meat Boy
Shank
Jamestown
Bit.Trip Runner
NightSky

If you pay more than the average price, you'll also get two massive, well-loved indie favorites:
Cave Story+
Gratuitous Space Battles

The games work great on Mac, Windows, and Linux (system requirements here). Please note that this is the initial release of seven Linux builds, so please be patient while we fix 1.0 issues as fast as we can.

You can support charity. Choose exactly how your purchase is divided: between the developers, the Child's Play Charity, or the American Red Cross. Also, if you like this deal, a tip to Humble Bundle would be much appreciated!

THIS IS THE LINK!
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:55 am

King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Return to Games