ASSASSIN'S CREED 2: BROTHERHOOD

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

ASSASSIN'S CREED 2: BROTHERHOOD

Postby Kate1986MA on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Though I am a new to this forum, I am taking the initiative to start a thread for the game AC2.5B. Why? Because I enjoy it and want to discuss it with others who have also played it, and don't want to derail the "WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING?" thread with a long screed about a specific game

Anyway,

I am currently in love with the multiplayer, which is great fun and a welcome relief from the frantic death match combat that seems all to prevalent on XBL

AC2.5B rewards players for being able to think on their feet and pull off a wily ruse in the midst of a chaotic chase. I feel a sense of immense satisfaction and personal achievement when I know that I've gotten the drop on another human being because of my superior tactical mind

IMHO, the best ability? Disguise. Every other ability is designed to enhance an existing game play mechanic. Shoot people. Run faster. ETC. Disguise is different. It allows me to know that I'm within range of an enemy, and then for a brief period of time shape shift to a different appearance so that my human competitor has no idea I'm calmly strolling up to take him out

Even morph, which makes everyone around you look like your character (to confuse enemies) isn't that great because it still draws attention to you

This is ever so much more fun than simply chasing people down, and it's a skill that most people who play the multiplayer still don't seem to know how to guard against

I've only ever had a few other players try to use it against me, and when they do I don't feel frustrated, I applaud their cleverness

Unfortunately my favorite gameplay mode, MANHUNT (team death match, essentially), is undermined by the dunder headed cretins who seem to make up the vast majority of the XBL community. I can't tell you how many times I've been mere feet from closing in for a hidden kill (which would net many points for my team) only to have a team mate blunder in, and tip off my target with his running

Ugh..

PS Since this is a general thread for the game, for the record I like it alot and enjoy the city exploration. It's the best AC game and City World yet, though I am sad that it takes place more than a thousand years after the fall of Rome. I have always been interested in ancient Rome, and can't help but feel that UBI missed a chance to do something special by merely churning out another Renaissance title
If you're in a predicament, know that danger is imminent - Old Proverb
Made with flavor
Kate1986MA
GLIB

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED 2: BROTHERHOOD

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:34 pm

The only game I've played in the last year has been Call of Duty (the last two versions). And I love the multiplayer aspect of both.

Have you played that game? I'm just wondering how the online gaming compares to AC.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi,

Great first post. Always nice to see more gamers on here.

Assassins Creed is a series of games which has slipped me by unfortunately. It always looked like it was trying to be Prince of Persia mixed with Hitman, with a little Theif thrown in for good measure (all great games which I love).

I may have to play catch up with these at some point.

If you wish to post some random thoughts on some games you have, you could always come to the 'What are you playing now?' thread, located here. As Christmas has just passed, there's loads of new games which we're all showering praise or damnation over.

Welcome to the family (Godfather, Addams or Brady - I'll leave that for you to decide :lol: )
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm

ASSASSINATE THE MODS!!!!!!!!

Traitors.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Kate1986MA on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:53 pm

so sorry wrote:The only game I've played in the last year has been Call of Duty (the last two versions). And I love the multiplayer aspect of both.

Have you played that game? I'm just wondering how the online gaming compares to AC.

I don't play many games, only the big ones that interest me. This year 90% of my videogame time was spent on two games: RED DEAD REDEMPTION and AC2.5B

I did play COD:BO but only for the single player. The MP is an exercise in frustration, IMHO. If you enjoy getting killed 10 times in 20 seconds by a pack of 12 year olds, then COD online is for you! :lol:

papalazeru wrote:Hi,

Great first post. Always nice to see more gamers on here.

Assassins Creed is a series of games which has slipped me by unfortunately. It always looked like it was trying to be Prince of Persia mixed with Hitman, with a little Theif thrown in for good measure (all great games which I love).

I may have to play catch up with these at some point.

It probably is trying to be those things, but it succeeds marvelously. The social stealth mechanic has been perfected for the most part, and if you love history the immersion into an ancient world has to be seen to be believed
papalazeru wrote:If you wish to post some random thoughts on some games you have, you could always come to the 'What are you playing now?' thread, located here. As Christmas has just passed, there's loads of new games which we're all showering praise or damnation over.

Welcome to the family (Godfather, Addams or Brady - I'll leave that for you to decide :lol: )

And thank you! In the future that's just what I'll do (the WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING NOW thread). AC2.5B is still sucking up all my videogame time but eventually I'll buy something else

PS Not to insult the members of the forum on my first day, but is Cptn Kirk a troll?? He seems to have a hatred for the forum to which he belongs
Made with flavor
Kate1986MA
GLIB

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:17 pm

I need to start playing this again. Ive spent so much time trying to catch up on movies that I havent had any time for games lately.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Kate1986MA wrote:And thank you! In the future that's just what I'll do (the WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING NOW thread). AC2.5B is still sucking up all my videogame time but eventually I'll buy something else

PS Not to insult the members of the forum on my first day, but is Cptn Kirk a troll?? He seems to have a hatred for the forum to which he belongs

For all intents and purposes Kirk is a troll, but enough about is appearance, he's our troll :)

He just takes a little...getting used to.

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:27 pm

Click here for everything you need to know about Kirk.

I've heard nothing but good things about Assassin's Creed, never got round to playing any of them though.

Kate1986MA wrote: I did play COD:BO but only for the single player. The MP is an exercise in frustration, IMHO. If you enjoy getting killed 10 times in 20 seconds by a pack of 12 year olds, then COD online is for you! :lol:

It's not that bad one you learn the maps & know where not to walk (any wide open space). Best thing to do is to stick to the shadows & knife or shoot them with an SMG.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:56 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote: Best thing to do is to stick to the shadows & knife or shoot them with an SMG.

Or Swim

:lol:

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:32 pm

When I saw papa name I wondered which older titles he would mention it being derivative of. You didn't disappoint.
:lol: :D

I still haven't tried the multiplayer on this one, but think the single player is fantastic. A marked improvement over the also great ac2. The first game was new and interesting but soon became very repetitive gameplay wise.
Something ubisoft really listened too, and the subsequent 2 games have been real gaming highlights for me.
For those wanting to dip into the ac world, but maybe without enough time to play all 3, maybe read the spoile wiki for 1 and play 2 and brotherhood.
It's a pretty cool story told well on top of being a great series of games.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:44 pm

Hermanator X wrote:When I saw papa name I wondered which older titles he would mention it being derivative of. You didn't disappoint.

I still haven't tried the multiplayer on this one, but think the single player is fantastic. A marked improvement over the also great ac2. The first game was new and interesting but soon became very repetitive gameplay wise.
Something ubisoft really listened too, and the subsequent 2 games have been real gaming highlights for me.
For those wanting to dip into the ac world, but maybe without enough time to play all 3, maybe read the spoile wiki for 1 and play 2 and brotherhood.

Ha! Thanks for the compliment, I could have gone even further back but I thought the message would have been lost.

Assassins Creed apparently doesn't take too long to complete, I may go back and play through the series.

On a side note, my brother bought me a book for Christmas "1001 games to play before you die". Apparently, I have about 100 games left to play :D

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:10 pm

papalazeru wrote: I could have gone even further back but I thought the message would have been lost.

They stole all that stealth gameplay form Castle Wolfenstein on the Commodore?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed games. I've always supported Ubisoft. They do a damn good job.

I remember all the way back to the first Splinter Cell game, and I remember thinking, "Man, it would be cool if you could grab onto all these things and pretty much go anywhere you wanted." I also remembered thinking that it would be cool to do all of that in different historical settings, I remember thinking Medieval times and an old west setting, I think. Anyway, Sam Fisher and Splinter Cell seemed to go in a different direction, and I still enjoy those games. Then Prince of Persia came out and it seemed a step closer, but some of its platforming was frustrating as hell. But eventually the Assassin's Creed series, especially these last two games, became everything I wanted from these types of games.

And if you love history, this has got to be the equivalent to a video game orgasm.

As an aside, I love how "The Truth" sections with subject 16 are great diversions from the main storyline and gameplay. There's usually some type of puzzle or brain teaser that links the game to some historical figures, and it really expands the mythology and backstory of the game.

EXCELLENT game.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 am

Yeah, the game engine, graphics, gameplay, the settings, and the historical detail (warped though it is in places to make a rollicking good adventure) is fantastic.

The only problem I had with the first was repetition.
Its set up something like this:

A prologue adventure, sets the world and the abilitys up nicely. A real eye opener, and gets you all excited.
Then you go to one of the major city settings.

It opens up, and you feel like king of the world. In order to get to the assassination, you need to do some pickpocketing, beating up of corrupt landlords to get the people on your side, and a few other side missions. Then you do the assassination. This unlocks the next segment, which has exactly the SAME tasks to do.
All of the cities and areas are distinctly different in architecture, and wealth, but the NPC's filling the cities and districts all say EXACTLY the same thing.
Even with different voice actors in the different regions, they spout the same lines. Seriously, its like they only wrote about 10 lines of dialogue.

After about the 4th of these, I was getting a bit tired of it, but wanted to finish, as the over arching story was good.
After around 15 of such similar sections, you get onto the big action packed ending, which was ace, and made me glad for sticking with it.
Its just a bit of a slog to get there, due to the problems listed above.

I was reluctant to get the second one, because of this, but they really worked hard to avoid such problems, and its massive improvement as a result.
With brotherhood, its almost arrogant how good the game is, looking back at the first, and its a totally absorbing experience. Ubisoft have really hit their stride with the series.
Although I am stuck on one time trial side mission, that I cant for the life of me figure out how to do in time.
2.5 minutes to race across the city, steal an antidote, and race back to the poisoned courtesan. Its quite frankly impossible (until I do it :D ).
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Kate1986MA on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:29 pm

papalazeru wrote:
For all intents and purposes Kirk is a troll, but enough about is appearance, he's our troll :)

He just takes a little...getting used to.

Haha fair enough! :wink:
papalazeru wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:When I saw papa name I wondered which older titles he would mention it being derivative of. You didn't disappoint.

Ha! Thanks for the compliment, I could have gone even further back but I thought the message would have been lost.

Assassins Creed apparently doesn't take too long to complete, I may go back and play through the series.

On a side note, my brother bought me a book for Christmas "1001 games to play before you die". Apparently, I have about 100 games left to play :D

Hermanator X wrote:Yeah, the game engine, graphics, gameplay, the settings, and the historical detail (warped though it is in places to make a rollicking good adventure) is fantastic.

The only problem I had with the first was repetition.
Its set up something like this:

A prologue adventure, sets the world and the abilitys up nicely. A real eye opener, and gets you all excited.
Then you go to one of the major city settings.

It opens up, and you feel like king of the world. In order to get to the assassination, you need to do some pickpocketing, beating up of corrupt landlords to get the people on your side, and a few other side missions. Then you do the assassination. This unlocks the next segment, which has exactly the SAME tasks to do.
All of the cities and areas are distinctly different in architecture, and wealth, but the NPC's filling the cities and districts all say EXACTLY the same thing.
Even with different voice actors in the different regions, they spout the same lines. Seriously, its like they only wrote about 10 lines of dialogue.

After about the 4th of these, I was getting a bit tired of it, but wanted to finish, as the over arching story was good.
After around 15 of such similar sections, you get onto the big action packed ending, which was ace, and made me glad for sticking with it.
Its just a bit of a slog to get there, due to the problems listed above.

I was reluctant to get the second one, because of this, but they really worked hard to avoid such problems, and its massive improvement as a result.
With brotherhood, its almost arrogant how good the game is, looking back at the first, and its a totally absorbing experience. Ubisoft have really hit their stride with the series.
Although I am stuck on one time trial side mission, that I cant for the life of me figure out how to do in time.
2.5 minutes to race across the city, steal an antidote, and race back to the poisoned courtesan. Its quite frankly impossible (until I do it :D ).

I won't deny that the first had a lack of gameplay options. I love it for the depiction of the middle east during the crusades, and the cities that UBI designed for the game. Also, the KINGDOM map sections have never really been topped in any other game in the series

Ultimately I'm not even that big a fan of the sci fi over story, but I feel like there is fun to be found in the first game all the same. The free running/chase mechanics were pretty much fully formed, and with The Power of Imagination(tm) one can easily make up their own reasons for assassinating people and running away

I tried to convince newbies to the AC series over on CHUD to start with the first game, but most seemed reluctant to. I think you can breeze through it pretty quickly, and the game world at least deserves to be experienced

PS That courtesan antidote mission? Very hard indeed. I like to calmly slow travel/walk from objective to objective normally in these games, going on the roofs only at night or when I have to

Unfortunately..

That mission basically requires you use the horse if you're going to beat it. Use the horse, and make no mistakes, and you will do it
Made with flavor
Kate1986MA
GLIB

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Kate1986MA wrote:That mission basically requires you use the horse if you're going to beat it. Use the horse, and make no mistakes, and you will do it

You know, I kinda forget about the horses. I never use them in the cities, and quite opposite to yourself, I try to use the roof tops as much as possible, and im quite the nimble free runner/murderer of hapless rooftop guards. But I shall give the horse a go for this one.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Kate1986MA on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
Kate1986MA wrote:That mission basically requires you use the horse if you're going to beat it. Use the horse, and make no mistakes, and you will do it

You know, I kinda forget about the horses. I never use them in the cities, and quite opposite to yourself, I try to use the roof tops as much as possible, and im quite the nimble free runner/murderer of hapless rooftop guards. But I shall give the horse a go for this one.

I didn't use them much at first, but I grew to like the idea that I was some rich horse owning noble person and could quickly trot around

I generally prefer just to walk around looking at the sights from ground level. It makes the moments when I am running around parkour style seem that much more spectacular

I like to roleplay, and I imagine that it's better for me to move about as if I were a normal citizen, that way word about my appearence doesn't get out. If I was always running around, people would be like "The assassin wears blue and gold and has a scar on his face!" and I'd never be able to hide :wink:

Still don't use horses much, but sometimes if I have to go entirely across the map I'll hop aboard one

Anyway, some of the missions are great in conception but are not executed well. The chest carrying mission in particular bugged the heck out of me. The game play is pretty much broken there, IMHO
Made with flavor
Kate1986MA
GLIB

Return to Games