GRAND THEFT AUTO V (FIVE)

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

GRAND THEFT AUTO V (FIVE)

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:41 pm

So the trailer for GTA5 hit today and it looks like we're heading back to LA/San Andreas. I can't say the recycling of the location really enthuses me. I'd like it if they'd go international for a change. The graphics and character models look absolutely great. It looks like they built on the same atmosphere and sky effects from RED DEAD REDEMPTION. The whole character of Los Angeles is well rendered and well captured in this short trailer.

The trailer doesn't really show you the character you'll be playing for, although he sounds like an adult white dude to me.

I didn't really love GTA4 all that much, it was alright, but it mostly felt like several second rate games put into one. Like a crappy 3rd person shooter with a crappy driving game and a bunch of crappy mini-games and a crappy sim all equaling slightly more than the sum of their parts. And I'm thinking SAINTS ROW might be more the series for me with its cartoonish fun tone.

I'll probably play this, and if they can make it a bit more action-packed with less commute time, it would win me back to this series. I would also like the getaway driving to involve more outwitting the cops like the openning scene from the movie DRIVE. I realize that would involve a big step up in the AI, but I'm hoping.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: GRAND THEFT AUTO V (FIVE)

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:46 pm

I always think I'm going to love these games, but I always get about 20% through them and get bored. RDR was amazing. I couldn't stop playing that. LA Noire, same way. But for some reason, these GTA ones just get stale to me.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby papalazeru on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:54 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I always think I'm going to love these games, but I always get about 20% through them and get bored. RDR was amazing. I couldn't stop playing that. LA Noire, same way. But for some reason, these GTA ones just get stale to me.

I'd agree with that comment on GTA IV. As great as the game is, it does get tedious.

GTA V, judging just on what I see in the trailer, looks like a return to the heady days of Vice City. The scenery looks memorable, the missions are looking diverse, graphics look like a wild improvement over IV and it looks like aircrafts are back!!!

I make that comment based on what's implied in the trailer so I don't have anything concrete to base that statement on, take it with a pinch of salt but Rockstar have never really let us down with the GTA series.

Even thouh 4 got boring (I didn't like the characters, the protagonist Nico, the missions weren't as diverse or entertaining at San Andreas or Vice City when they were first released and the level design was weak) it still gave a good sense of freedom within the game and the atmosphere was great.

One thing that really failed me was the fact that you spent too long looking at the Radar in the corner than watching the game. In Vice City you could show me a screenshot and I'd know where I was, same with San Andreas (to a lesser extent) but GTA didn't have that same appeal. I wouldn't be able to direct you to the nearest landmark from a screenshot, although there were some obvious parts in the game.

I'm more hyped about Saints Row 3 than this game at the moment but that's not to say it will change. When we get more information concerning the game, we'll see.

In the mean time, I have a year of Saints Row 3 and Skyrim to get through before this game even pops its head up again.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:28 am

The engine of IV with the map, RPG elements and sense of fun that SA gave us will be a beautiful thing indeed.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:41 pm

The story in GTA4 kinda lost it about a third of the way through. I wished they'd kept the main plot within the realm of Eastern Europeans in NYC. Once it got into those Italians and that CIA guy, I just wasn't invested anymore.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Return to Games