XBOX 720

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

XBOX 720

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 am

Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen
Sources confirm fall 2013 release, detail graphics processing power.

Scott Lowe wrote:The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN.

Following initial reports from tech blogs Fudzilla and SemiAccurate, our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU. Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670, which offers support for DirectX11, multidisplay output, 3D and 1080p HD output. The chip currently has a market price of upwards of $79.99.

In real terms, the Xbox 720's raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the Xbox 360 and will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U.

Developers are likely to receive development kits based on the system's final configuration in August. Projected pricing for the console was not provided.

From WSJ:
Website Says New Microsoft Xbox Coming Fall 2013

From Forbes:
Xbox 720 Rumors - Six Times as Powerful, Will Restrict Play of Used Games

From TG Daily:
Xbox 720 will have raw graphics horsepower

From IGN:
Xbox 720 Chipset "in Production" - Tech report claims 'Oban' ready; predicts no console launch until 2013
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: XBOX 720

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:59 am

They are talking out of their arse.

The 6670 does not have much graphical horsepower at all. It's basically a low end card from the 6000 range & will run about 5fps faster than the 5670, or 8 frames faster than the 4670.

The Wii U will be using a 4870 & even though it's a DX10 card, it's about twice as fast as the 6670.

At 1080p the 6670 will run Modern Warfare 2 at about 50fps, so we're not gonna see many 1080p native games during it's lifetime.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Psyz on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Also limiting used game play is risky, and frankly stupid move.

Giving gamers the chance to sell their unwanted games and get the newer titles is what helps drive software purchases. Keep doing the ALF online pass thing to make up any percieved losses if you must, but if it really comes out with a gimp on used games it's a instapass from me.

I say this as a kinect convert too, I would love to play kinect 2 (with the promised features from kinect 1.0) but not at the risk of binding myself to whatever titles I buy, praying they're good and have lasting gameplay.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:55 pm

King Psyz wrote:Also limiting used game play is risky, and frankly stupid move.

Is this even legal?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:37 am

That wont happen. Remember the rumors about that same feature in the PS3 before it debuted? It's all just people talking out there ass right now.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby papalazeru on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:That wont happen. Remember the rumors about that same feature in the PS3 before it debuted? It's all just people talking out there ass right now.

It's not a hard process to put into practice. In fact, it's relatively easy.

What can I say?

Get a PC.

It's coming full circle, they hack and they slash at the consoles until the only viable option for freedom of choice is a PC.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Saints Row Dev: Xbox 720 Used Game Ban 'Fantastic'
"Personally I think this would be a fantastic change for our business. Even though the consumers would be up in arms about it at first, they will grow to understand why and that it won't kill them."

Fine. Price games between $15-$30 then.
If I buy a DVD/Blu-Ray, that tangible product becomes mine to resell. If I buy a car, a house.... those become mine to resell. The movie industry, automakers, and contractors don't get a single cent when their product is resold. This goes to just about every sellable item. I'd say "every" but I'm willing to admit I might be missing something.

What makes the video game industry special?

And yes, I realize this hasn't been confirmed. I also won't own a XBox (Playstation guy here).... but this Saints Row douche just pissed me off.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Sony wanted to lock the serial numbers of disks to the console they were first used on back when the PS3 was first announced, so don't let your status as a "PlayStation guy" get in the way of that rational thinking.

This is bad for gamers as a whole. If it succeeds, it also means movie companies will think about doing the same (as nobody seems to bitch more about "lost profit" than the MPAA).

DLC was a step towards this. EA's "Project 10 dollar" gimped all pre-owned games. THQ has been doing the same thing with "online access" codes for about a year, so it's no surprise that they think killing the pre-owned market was & still is a fantastic idea.
All game companies will think it's a good thing, they all stand to make more money.

Microsoft will change their mind. They get a cut from all "online pass" type systems at the moment (and everything else on the marketplace).

The system they seem to be talking about right now just isn't that practical either. Programming a unique code to each disk would cost ridiculous amounts of time & money. With millions of copies of most games you're talking a massively long unique string of numbers that need to be kept track of & can't be randomly generated, it's a lot of hassle for very little guaranteed return.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:13 pm

I just don't understand how it could be legal.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Fievel wrote:I just don't understand how it could be legal.

because people are stupid, believe all the quick cut commercials they see and yell WANT, and never question whether they own a product.

Give it a test, write an email to someone and put in some small print at the bottom, something like, by responding to this email you agree to pay the email responser you are writing to $1000. You will not file a law suit or any civil suit against the original emailer....

Technically, according to theses companies, that's legally binding.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/201 ... 0-billion/

I wish he'd won.

papalazeru

Postby King Psyz on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:13 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Sony wanted to lock the serial numbers of disks to the console they were first used on back when the PS3 was first announced, so don't let your status as a "PlayStation guy" get in the way of that rational thinking.

This is bad for gamers as a whole. If it succeeds, it also means movie companies will think about doing the same (as nobody seems to bitch more about "lost profit" than the MPAA).

DLC was a step towards this. EA's "Project 10 dollar" gimped all pre-owned games. THQ has been doing the same thing with "online access" codes for about a year, so it's no surprise that they think killing the pre-owned market was & still is a fantastic idea.
All game companies will think it's a good thing, they all stand to make more money.

Microsoft will change their mind. They get a cut from all "online pass" type systems at the moment (and everything else on the marketplace).

The system they seem to be talking about right now just isn't that practical either. Programming a unique code to each disk would cost ridiculous amounts of time & money. With millions of copies of most games you're talking a massively long unique string of numbers that need to be kept track of & can't be randomly generated, it's a lot of hassle for very little guaranteed return.

Had the PS3 done that, I wouldn't have bought one. Did you even read what I wrote?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:49 pm

I was replying to Fievel
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 am

Selling entire games as DLC is the way of the future. They won't have to lock codes on discs once there are no more discs, just files on hard drives that can't be transfered.

Any retailer selling or re-selling or renting videogames is looking at a future similiar to what record (music) stores and movie renters are facing now.

This is the sound of inevitability.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:18 am

Yeh I'm sure everyone bitching about it would never actually dream of foregoing the new consoles. Without that all the uproar about it might as well be a fart in a thunderstorm.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby papalazeru on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Yeh I'm sure everyone bitching about it would never actually dream of foregoing the new consoles. Without that all the uproar about it might as well be a fart in a thunderstorm.

I have a PC. I only need a console for those few games which do appear under exclusives.

Mind you, if this does come to pass, I will forego all consoles all together as PC is far superior and no doubt there will be an emulator soon enough.

papalazeru

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 am

papalazeru wrote:I have a PC. I only need a console for those few games which do appear under exclusives.

Mind you, if this does come to pass, I will forego all consoles all together as PC is far superior and no doubt there will be an emulator soon enough.

Windows 8 will apparently let you play xbox 360 games on release, papa, so it's not even a question of emulation. The PS3 will be tricky due to the way their fucked up processors work, so it'll probably end up like Saturn emulation if it ever does happen.

TonyWilson wrote:Yeh I'm sure everyone bitching about it would never actually dream of foregoing the new consoles. Without that all the uproar about it might as well be a fart in a thunderstorm.

I dunno,I feel like I'm not who they're trying to sell this stuff to. Kinect, Move, Vita... all of those things do nothing for me & with the xbox's latest dashboard update (the one that makes it incredibly hard to find, buy & play games) i've been thinking about giving the "next gen" a miss.

In terms of what they're putting in to the next series of consoles, it's not a giant leap from what they run on right now. The fact that gaming news sites reported a 6670 GFX card (the one reportedly used in the new xbox) as "the greatest thing ever" kinda shows that i'm not who they're trying to attract with these announcements.

Spandau Belly wrote:Selling entire games as DLC is the way of the future. They won't have to lock codes on discs once there are no more discs, just files on hard drives that can't be transfered.

Any retailer selling or re-selling or renting videogames is looking at a future similiar to what record (music) stores and movie renters are facing now.

This is the sound of inevitability.

It's not even the way of the future, the PC market has been like that for over 5 years & today we have deals that prevent games from launching simultaneously on download services & in actual shops in order to keep places like Game/Gamestop open.
Microsoft tried & failed with their Xbox game downloading section. The lowest price a game will go on Xbox Live Games on Demand is £19.99 & often you can get a new, sealed retail version for £9.99 or less.

In 10 years you'll still be able to walk into a shop & buy a game. The game might just be a string of numbers printed on a card, but Publishers have a good relationship with a lot of retailers & I don't see them giving that up in order to sell everything at a reduced price through Microsoft & Sony.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Kryptos vs Orbis vs Thebes

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:26 am

Report: Xbox 720 And PS4 Codenames And Details
So many codenames, so little confirmed information.

Luke Karmali wrote:While we've heard a range of speculation about the codenames of Sony and Microsoft's next-gen consoles, a new report is claiming to have outed them correctly for the first time, as well as revealing where their components are being manufactured.

Be sure to remember that none of the below has been confirmed by either Sony or Microsoft so, until it is, take it all with a large pinch of salt.

According to SemiAccurate, internal sources have revealed that Microsoft's next Xbox is is being developed as project "Kryptos". The report also asserts that, as we've heard previously, the AMD chip the console will run on is called Oban. Additionally, it seems that the manufacturing troubles with the chip that were threatening to derail the console's rumoured 2013 launch still haven't been cleared up, and Microsoft is running out of time to do so.

While we've now heard about the Oban chip from several different sources, this is the first time that the "Kryptos" codename has been thrown into the mix. We've previously heard the next-gen Xbox referred to as Durango; indeed, development photos and a supposed early version of the dev kit for Microsoft's next console that was sold on eBay went under that moniker. So which is the real codename? Sadly, for now at least, we have no idea.

Moving onto the console many are calling the PlayStation 4, it's apparently being referred to internally as project "Thebes". Once again, an AMD chip is meant to be at the centre of the console and this is planned to be produced at either Global Foundries or IBM. If true, this means the chip would enter production after Oban, meaning a projected release window for the PlayStation 4 would be sometime between spring and autumn 2013.

Again this conflicts with some of the information we've previously heard; numerous sources have referred to the PS4 as Orbis. This new report doesn't offer much more in the way of what's inside Sony's next console, but thankfully we have an extensive report from November that offers quite a few unconfirmed details.

So what do you think? Is the report accurate, and do you prefer the old or new codenames?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Games