Playstation 4 Thread

All things controller driven will be talked about here.

Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Yup, it was revealed.

Sort of.... no box shown yet.... and I like that. Keep us guessing.

The whole event was pretty huge - a mini-E3. Tons of game reveals, developer guests, etc. Unfortunately the controller and specs were all leaked within the past week so there were no surprises on that front.
But still, a pretty cool event.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11841
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:39 am

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11841
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 pm




[IGNORAMUS ALERT] What constitutes a "used" game in this scenario? Does this simply mean that PS4 will be backwards compatible with PS3 games? If so, is that really shocking news? I'm asking a serious question here... :oops:
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15194
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Al Shut on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 pm

No that means it's supposed to play games that you bought second hand from some guy who bought the game earlier from a shop himself

Apparently there were some worries that it wouldn't
Image
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6106
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Yeah, Sony patented technology that would have prevented the use of a disc being used outside of the primary owner's machine - hence no used games. But now they've publicly announced that they're not going to be using the tech on the PS4.

Microsoft is heavily rumored to be using similar tech on their next console. When the rumor hit the streets that the next Xbox would use such technology, Gamestop's (US used game retailer) stock took a hit that day.

Such technology obviously has full support of the game developers (more $$ for them).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11841
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 pm

so sorry wrote:



[IGNORAMUS ALERT] What constitutes a "used" game in this scenario? Does this simply mean that PS4 will be backwards compatible with PS3 games? If so, is that really shocking news? I'm asking a serious question here... :oops:


actually PS4 won't be backwards-compatible to play PS3 games.
which means i won't be getting one any time soon.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18276
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby travis-dane on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Fievel wrote:Yeah, Sony patented technology that would have prevented the use of a disc being used outside of the primary owner's machine - hence no used games. But now they've publicly announced that they're not going to be using the tech on the PS4.

Microsoft is heavily rumored to be using similar tech on their next console. When the rumor hit the streets that the next Xbox would use such technology, Gamestop's (US used game retailer) stock took a hit that day.

Such technology obviously has full support of the game developers (more $$ for them).


Sony did not say that used games will work (at least at the PS 4 "event"), they really did not say much at all about used games. They just paraded some publishers around and showed mostly old footage of the next gen games, most of which will be published on PS 3 too.
The presentation was a big nothing, they did not show the console, they did not tell anything about the price, mostly they said nothing.
But they pushed the "Facebook" button on the "new" controller. Hey, thats something right?
Oh and it has 8 GB ram. And no more Cell chip technology.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
Image
User avatar
travis-dane
100% OLEG!
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 am
Location: DTVille

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 pm

travis-dane wrote:The presentation was a big nothing

Really?
-They didn't talk about stuff like the new Gaikai streaming service, and how it's supposed to be the fastest in the the world and all that? And cool features within that like how you can start to download a game and immediately start playing it? No?
-They didn't talk about how you'll be able to play most PS4 games via streaming on the Vita? (so awesome for having to poop.... if you actually own a Vita)
-Didn't talk about remote capabilities with smartphones and tablets?
-They didn't show a rash of developers literally foaming at the mouth talking about how great it is programming for the PS4 where before with the PS3 they'd interview developers who would look stoically into the camera and just say "it's a nice machine." No?
-They didn't debut the trailer for the new Infamous game?
-They didn't debut what might be the first few minutes of the new Killzone game? (or we might have another Killzone 2 E3 sequence scenario - is it in-game or not?)
-They didn't announce Diablo III?
-There wasn't any mention of exclusive content for Playstation on Destiny? (you just know Xbox will have theirs, too)

travis-dane wrote:they did not show the console, they did not tell anything about the price, mostly they said nothing.
But they pushed the "Facebook" button on the "new" controller. Hey, thats something right?
Oh and it has 8 GB ram. And no more Cell chip technology.


We'll see the console at E3.

Hell yeah it's something. That controller is another sign of them listening to the customers. They finally, finally, FINALLY changed the lower triggers and blew out the grips. The Share button? I'll probably never use it, but I guarantee you schoolkids will.
No more Cell chip = no more in-house production on proprietary processors, which means cheaper production. Hooray customers! :D

And as far as the lack of a price announcement.....
Read between the lines of what they are saying here - They're not going to announce a price until Microsoft does. I wouldn't be surprised if they match the Xbox dollar for dollar.

The whole purpose of this? To get shit started. Now what is Microsoft going to counter with? Just please let Steve Ballmer run a similar press conference.... he's so close to having a breakdown.... it would be epic, tragic, and glorious.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11841
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:55 pm

PS4 controller

In case you missed it.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15194
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:03 pm

so sorry wrote:PS4 controller

In case you missed it.


It's smiling at me.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11841
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby travis-dane on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Fievel wrote:
travis-dane wrote:The presentation was a big nothing

Really?
-They didn't talk about stuff like the new Gaikai streaming service, and how it's supposed to be the fastest in the the world and all that? And cool features within that like how you can start to download a game and immediately start playing it? No?
-They didn't talk about how you'll be able to play most PS4 games via streaming on the Vita? (so awesome for having to poop.... if you actually own a Vita)
-Didn't talk about remote capabilities with smartphones and tablets?
-They didn't show a rash of developers literally foaming at the mouth talking about how great it is programming for the PS4 where before with the PS3 they'd interview developers who would look stoically into the camera and just say "it's a nice machine." No?
-They didn't debut the trailer for the new Infamous game?
-They didn't debut what might be the first few minutes of the new Killzone game? (or we might have another Killzone 2 E3 sequence scenario - is it in-game or not?)
-They didn't announce Diablo III?
-There wasn't any mention of exclusive content for Playstation on Destiny? (you just know Xbox will have theirs, too)

travis-dane wrote:they did not show the console, they did not tell anything about the price, mostly they said nothing.
But they pushed the "Facebook" button on the "new" controller. Hey, thats something right?
Oh and it has 8 GB ram. And no more Cell chip technology.


We'll see the console at E3.

Hell yeah it's something. That controller is another sign of them listening to the customers. They finally, finally, FINALLY changed the lower triggers and blew out the grips. The Share button? I'll probably never use it, but I guarantee you schoolkids will.
No more Cell chip = no more in-house production on proprietary processors, which means cheaper production. Hooray customers! :D

And as far as the lack of a price announcement.....
Read between the lines of what they are saying here - They're not going to announce a price until Microsoft does. I wouldn't be surprised if they match the Xbox dollar for dollar.

The whole purpose of this? To get shit started. Now what is Microsoft going to counter with? Just please let Steve Ballmer run a similar press conference.... he's so close to having a breakdown.... it would be epic, tragic, and glorious.


But almost everything you listed above is OLD news. How can you do a "Big" showcase for the PS 4 and not show the console? Or give us a price? Why wait for E3 when you had the whole world watching, everybody was pumped and in the end it was nothing.
It is crystal clear that PS 4 and the new X Box will go the streaming route, everybody knows this for about two years now, who cares?

What about KillZone? The stuff they showed was really boring. Did you watch the whole "event"? The Square Enix stuff was pathetic, everybody wanted to see FF stuff and they show a tech/graphics video that has nothing to do with FF?

The Watch Dogs game will be released for PS 3 and XBox 360. So why show it for your premium console?

AND Diablo 3 man, really, they try to make a big deal about a game that will be two years old when your new machine comes out? Everybody who has interest in Diablo 3 has bought it already, who cares for a PS 4 port?

Everybody is underwhelmed right now, look on the interwebs Fievel, nobody is raving about the PS 4 "event", it's more like, "oh hey, they told us nothing new, except for the "Facebook" button".

I bought my first PS in 1996, had a PS 2, they lost me with the PS 3, I just hope they do something to win me back with the PS 4.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
Image
User avatar
travis-dane
100% OLEG!
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 am
Location: DTVille

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:02 pm

so sorry wrote:PS4 controller

In case you missed it.


thank zod they finally added the infinity button.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18276
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:47 pm

travis-dane wrote:Everybody is underwhelmed right now, look on the interwebs Fievel, nobody is raving about the PS 4 "event", it's more like, "oh hey, they told us nothing new, except for the "Facebook" button".


Your use of hyperbole makes me sad. :(

But I get what you're saying. It IS a mixed bag out there - people like me who saw the positives (and yes, there are more of me out there), and the people like you that just want to know this. But I think a lot of that is pre-show feelings. I've been Sony-only since PS1 and have never felt "let down" in any way. Waiting to buy a PS3 after the price drop helped :lol:
But most of the rage I've read seems to be from Xbox'ers or disgruntled PS'ers like yourself who need to be wowed. "Happy" or content PS'ers are either excited or apathetic to the press conference.

Square totally blew it - showing a nearly year old demo, and then I think the FF lead (drunk? I'm just speculating - that was totally unprepared) doubly blew it by prematurely outing the next-gen FF project. :lol:
Best Worst Demo.

I dunno, I like the Killzone franchise, so I liked that demo.

But yeah, you're not going to see a price until Microsoft reveals one for the next Xbox, and then I'll almost guarantee you that the PS4 will either be equal or perhaps even $20 cheaper. E3 has always been the Grand Showcase, and it still will be. This was just a proverbial shot across the bow to Microsoft. Hopefully MS will respond and show us what they have in store with the next Xbox.

I don't think I said it here yet, but I think with Valve's Steambox and the Ouya coming out, TVs being built with Apps, the ever-growing presence of phones/tablets, and the lines between consoles, PC, and Home Entertainment being further and further blurred, this may be the last generation of true console wars. What comes after this will be.... something else. Take a look around, enjoy, and remember.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11841
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby travis-dane on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Fievel wrote:
travis-dane wrote:Everybody is underwhelmed right now, look on the interwebs Fievel, nobody is raving about the PS 4 "event", it's more like, "oh hey, they told us nothing new, except for the "Facebook" button".


Your use of hyperbole makes me sad. :(

But I get what you're saying. It IS a mixed bag out there - people like me who saw the positives (and yes, there are more of me out there), and the people like you that just want to know this. But I think a lot of that is pre-show feelings. I've been Sony-only since PS1 and have never felt "let down" in any way. Waiting to buy a PS3 after the price drop helped :lol:
But most of the rage I've read seems to be from Xbox'ers or disgruntled PS'ers like yourself who need to be wowed. "Happy" or content PS'ers are either excited or apathetic to the press conference.

Square totally blew it - showing a nearly year old demo, and then I think the FF lead (drunk? I'm just speculating - that was totally unprepared) doubly blew it by prematurely outing the next-gen FF project. :lol:
Best Worst Demo.

I dunno, I like the Killzone franchise, so I liked that demo.

But yeah, you're not going to see a price until Microsoft reveals one for the next Xbox, and then I'll almost guarantee you that the PS4 will either be equal or perhaps even $20 cheaper. E3 has always been the Grand Showcase, and it still will be. This was just a proverbial shot across the bow to Microsoft. Hopefully MS will respond and show us what they have in store with the next Xbox.

I don't think I said it here yet, but I think with Valve's Steambox and the Ouya coming out, TVs being built with Apps, the ever-growing presence of phones/tablets, and the lines between consoles, PC, and Home Entertainment being further and further blurred, this may be the last generation of true console wars. What comes after this will be.... something else. Take a look around, enjoy, and remember.


Well said, Sir.

I like KillZone 1, I did not play the others, I think the new game will be great, I was just disappointed by the demo they showed us.

I was just sad that after all the pre-show Hype, nothing "big" came out of it. Since I read and watch alot of gaming websites and videos, I've seen and heard alot of "meh" and thats the worst thing you can have after such an event, no real anger or happines, just meh.

But what makes me really happy is that some of us Zoners still give a shit about gaming and talk about it.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
Image
User avatar
travis-dane
100% OLEG!
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 am
Location: DTVille

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Al Shut on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:53 am

bah everything went downhill after the snes anyway
Image
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6106
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Fievel on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:58 am

travis-dane wrote:But what makes me really happy is that some of us Zoners still give a shit about gaming and talk about it.


Cheers, Travis!



And Al, you're wrong. You're dead wrong! Parappa the Rapper came out in 1997 and changed the world!!

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11841
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Al Shut on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 pm

I stand corrected

Rapping karate onion ftw!
Image
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6106
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby Fievel on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:18 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11841
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Playstation 4 Thread

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:36 am

Cool video comparison of Tomb Raider PS3 vs. PS4

Pretty cool. I'm more than content with my PS3 and the limited games I play, but if I were a hardcore gamer, this would be making my nether regions hard!
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15194
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am


Return to Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests