Special Editions

Betamax and beyond

Special Editions

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:34 pm

Good trend: Production Diaries.

Bad trend: edition editions. Wedding Crashers is going to have an "uncorked" edition. Ferris Bueller will have a "Bueller...Bueller...Bueller" edtion. Seems like they're taking things from or about the movie and releasing it with the word edition after it. What's next, Pulp Fiction: Briefcase Edition? Swingers: Money Edition? Fight Club: Mayhem Edition? Psycho: Skeletons in the Closet edition? When will it stop?

I think it'd be funny if other movies released some of these same editions like if afterthe Office Space: Stapler Edition they released Office Space: Boomstick Edition and Army of Darkness released a "Bueller...Bueller...Bueller" edition.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brocktune on Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:43 pm

how about
deliverance: ass raped edition
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby zombieslayer on Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:01 pm

Brown Bunny: Oral edition
anyone? anyone?
zombieslayer
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:45 pm

It kinda reminds me of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and how they would title their shows. Each episode's title ended in the word "Affair" so you would have episode titles like "The Secret Agent Affair" or The Double Agent Affair" or even "The Affair Affair." So it's like they just tack on "Edition" to all these moments related to the movie.

The Crying Game: Extra Feature Edition
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:33 pm

Yeah It is gettting old, but as long as the marketing scheme works they will continue.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:12 am

Tommy Boy: Holy Schnike Edition takes the cake. I mean, seriously.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby kortanaskew on Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:35 pm

Which Special Edition Release was the one that you felt like you got burnt by the most?

As my movie Collection now numbered in the hundreds, I had been very cautious about Double Dipping. When I would get burned, like when I did Swinegrs or True Romance it just so happened I had bought those movies on a sale. And When heard of the upcoming release I would trade them or sell them for the maximum profit before the special edition came out.

I soon learned that when Best Buy would reduce the price of a GREAT movie to a ridiculous amount it was because the Special Edition release was soon to be upon us. I saw this happen with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

So I began checking that movies had some special features before I bought it. A trailer and an HBO special weren't enough, If there wasn't a commentary or plenty of documentaries, I knew to hold my money back because soon we would see a Special Edition.

Then came the T2. First Best buy had dropped it to 5.00 of you bought some other arnold movie and I bit. I bought it but didnt open it right away.
So I was able to exchange it at a store when I heard the Ultimate Edition was soon to be released.

Now the Ultimate Edition is one of my favorite DVD releases of all time. It really took advantage of the DVD format. It was so complete it included almost everythign you can think of from the script to a, directors cut version with an alternate ending to a virtual film school on the making of T2.

Only thing it lacked was the Guns N Roses Video for "You Could be Mine" though i kept hoping I would find it in an Easter Egg.

So there was never any reason to release the T2 Extreme Edition.
In comparison it was lame but yet they called it an extreme edition. Mainly because of the HiDef version that was included on the Second Disc for viewing on Windows media Player. This was such hyped big news that a friend of mine went out and rebought this set.
And i looked at hime and said "You don't even own a computer!"

This was the first DVD released so called "Special Edition" that totally put me off buying DVD's

From now on I would refuse to buy any insignificant upgrades to DVD's.

And I would from that moment on be weary of buying ANY Artisan DVD's.

As ridiculous as the Anchor Bay Army Of Darkness releases so was Artisan with their properties. I had owned what was a pretty decent and definitive set of the Rambo films. It had documentaries, commentaries everything you needed/wanted.

Then Artisan would release their Special Edition versions. Sure it had a supposed better picture and DTS sound, but I had no great sound system, that could take advantage of this All it really had was a documetary on the third fim dealing with the situation in Afghanistan vs. the events in the film.

So i resisted buying it. And stil refused to buy them when i saw all three movies of the special edition they dropped down to 5 dollars each.

And what seemed to be a short time later, Artisan would unveil their ULTIMATE EDITIONS of Rambo, noteworthy for an inclusion of an alternate suicide ending for the first film that wasn't included in any prior release.

Sp i put that first film on my NETFLIX. It still near the 400's. I'll probably finally get it delivered around the same time as Artisan puts out their RAMBO EXTREME EDITION box set.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby King Psyz on Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:43 pm

I usually only buy a special edition of a DVD or in some cases when it's an excellent Special Edition.

Like Memento, that was a great special edition package. As was the Best Buy Office Space and my favorite, the Criterion Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Criterion makes really great DVD packages and I hope they continue their trend of putting together great editions on DVD.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby sippiecup on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:00 pm

The only thing that I can say good about all the "double dipping" on DVD, is that it is great for the onscreen talent. My wife is a member of SAG and a few of the movies she was in (not as a star or even a co-star) but when they were released on DVD we got a nice residual check and then when they "double dipped" we got another (so I can't complain about that).

But beyond that they tend to get a little absurd especially when they call and extra minute or two of movie an "extended edition" just be honest and call it "the minute longer edition"
"These impulses, got me thinking about cutting company cost, about profit and loss, about KILLING MY BOSS!!" - killer in the workplace
sippiecup
GLIB

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:10 pm

Johnny Carpenter's The Thing double-dip? She always bugged a the Dino, eh? Goddamn non-anamorphic transfers...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby bc1970 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:13 pm

I got Blue Thunder for $6 at Target because they were phasing out the 2 sided widescreen copies. Now they're coming out with a SE? Six bucks is just right for that movie.

I'm waiting for a good Road Warrior disc.

I waited for an Escape from NY SE, then I never bought it.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:14 pm

Now this is just overkill...ANOTHER LOTR DVD SET COMING OUT???

Well according to comingsoon.net...we can look forward to yet another attempt by New Line to get their hands on our money.

http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=15082
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:21 pm

I remember hearing PJ discuss holding back some stuff so he could release it on a future DVD. But here I am thinking it would be on whatever the major format is on the 10th anniversary or something. Oh how wrong I was. No way Im buying that. I love my EEs. Ill just download the doc.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:27 pm

Pudie wrote:I remember hearing PJ discuss holding back some stuff so he could release it on a future DVD. But here I am thinking it would be on whatever the major format is on the 10th anniversary or something. Oh how wrong I was. No way Im buying that. I love my EEs. Ill just download the doc.

You better watch out or AB will give you a scolding.

But I agree. I am perfectly happy with my three EE DVDs. I can't see any reason why someone with the EEs would waste their money on this.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:30 pm

There's no reason to own this new release unless you don't currently own the EE. I do, so I'm not buying this one.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:31 pm

RogueScribner wrote:There's no reason to own this new release unless you don't currently own the EE. I do, so I'm not buying this one.

Yeah that is my point. They threw that doc on there just to try and lure some die hard fans into buying these DVDs just for that.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:36 pm

At least it's a meaty doc though *shrug*
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby sleepflower on Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:11 pm

Trying to sell as many DVD's as possible before HD?
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby bc1970 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:18 pm

Some of these are Anamporphic Widescreen updates, with a few bells added on. Others are just crap. My one beef with Netflix is that they don't make the newer versions available. (Dazed and Confused Criterion, Escape From NY SE) Blockbuster, for all their problems, does. Sometimes, you think you're getting a better visual, but strip away the 5 audio mixes crammed onto the disc, and you've still got a bitmapped version, like Re-animator Millenium edition.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:09 pm

Where do they dig up the extended footage from. I cant believe all this stuff still sits around?

Its seems all the world and his dog now make, the movie, the making of the movie, TV propoganda: making of the movie, the making of the making of, all the trailers, inside documentary of the making of the film, the game, the making of the game.......

you get the drift.

No wonder movies are getting more expensive. Just do one good doco, do an extended edition where you can put both on a second release with the movie.

PLain and simple.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:18 pm

papalazeru wrote:Where do they dig up the extended footage from. I cant believe all this stuff still sits around?

Its seems all the world and his dog now make, the movie, the making of the movie, TV propoganda: making of the movie, the making of the making of, all the trailers, inside documentary of the making of the film, the game, the making of the game.......

you get the drift.

No wonder movies are getting more expensive. Just do one good doco, do an extended edition where you can put both on a second release with the movie.

PLain and simple.

There's a good, olde fashioned word for that.
If I use it here, though, its the EFBR for the lot of us.
Has something to do with sex in an unauthorized orafice.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Tuncrypt on Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:24 pm

Heh I'm still waiting for Kindergarten Cop The It's Not A Tumor Edition
Tuncrypt
GLIB

Return to DVD / Blu-ray