DUNE-Extended Edition

Betamax and beyond

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:00 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:I just got this yesterday and I started watching the Theatrical Cut last night. A few years ago I didnt really like Dune, now its one of my favorite sci fi films. Its one weird ass movie, but its intriguing. As its been stated, It came in a really cool tin case, that was a nice suprise.

Dino, salud on this film paisan!

Winslow, I had a similar experience to Dune. I saw it when I was a kid and just couldn't appreciate it. It wasn't until I was in college and saw it at special campus screening that I really got into it.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:17 pm

Yeah Burl, It sorta grew on me I guess. I really enjoy it now.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:48 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I got mine today and boy was I pissed when I saw ONE disc. So weird. I haven't watched anything yet.

The idea of a two-disc set is completely lost on Universal. They just don't get it. They probably tried to make "Jaws" a double-sided disc before Spielberg stopped them.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:07 pm

Wait so this is just the shitty TV Alan Smithee version in 2.35:1 on side B along with some nice Docs??? Well thats just bullshit, does Lynch even put his name on the extended cut this time? Are the edits better?

Last time I watched the TV cut I thought I noticed more headspace like it was originally shot on Super 35mm and cropped for theatrical release etc, like with T2 or (something similar with) the Shining. If all they have done is cropped and remastered the picture to make it sharper I don't see the point in this DVD, I want a 4 hour badboy completely rec-cut, re-graded after a nice TK etc, I would have excepted just a nice long version but doing a bodge job on the TV cut and trying to sell it as a new extended edition sounds like complete bullshit, I wont be buying this and if you do buy it you might be ruining any chance we had of ever getting to see Lynch's true vision, I heard he was shooting extra SFX for this but that was abviously just another bullshit rumour.

Yes I'm pissed off :)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:37 pm

Side A has the Theatrical cut (2 hrs 17 min) and Side B has the Extended Cut (2 hrs 57 min).
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:49 pm

Yeah I understand that you get two cuts Winslow but from what I have read the 2 hrs 57 min version is just the Alan Smithee version visualy re-mastered but not even re-edited slightly, there are some terrible cuts between scenes and there is still loads of footage missing and it's got that terrible prologue with Robert Loggia's voice.

I already own the TV edit in 4:3 but it's not good enough to shell out for again because it's got a better aspect ratio, I always watch the theatrical cut anyway because it flows better despite the scenes missing.

I wanted the best of both worlds and then some, I already own 3 DVD's of Dune, the original widescreen (non anamorphic) the TV and the Remastered Theatrical which came out in the UK at the end of 2004. This version offers nothing new and I've been waiting for this with anticipation for no reason at all from the sound of things.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:45 pm

John-Locke wrote:Yeah I understand that you get two cuts Winslow but from what I have read the 2 hrs 57 min version is just the Alan Smithee version visualy re-mastered but not even re-edited slightly, there are some terrible cuts between scenes and there is still loads of footage missing and it's got that terrible prologue with Robert Loggia's voice.

I already own the TV edit in 4:3 but it's not good enough to shell out for again because it's got a better aspect ratio, I always watch the theatrical cut anyway because it flows better despite the scenes missing.

I wanted the best of both worlds and then some, I already own 3 DVD's of Dune, the original widescreen (non anamorphic) the TV and the Remastered Theatrical which came out in the UK at the end of 2004. This version offers nothing new and I've been waiting for this with anticipation for no reason at all from the sound of things.

Nuts to the Alan Smithee version. I will wait as long as it takes for Lynch to get a proper edit of this thing out there. That was Robert Loggia's voice? Huh. Didn't know that. I do like Loggia, but I liked the Madsen version-opening ( and Virginia herself) much more.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:00 pm

I still have to watch both Dune cuts in their entirety, but Ive recently got a bunch of new DVDs to check out, so Im trying to get through them all.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:03 pm

At this point I like the theatrical-cut better. Don't get me wrong, I love the new and extended scenes in the Smithee-cut...but it's just SO poorly put together. Re-used FX shots, the prologue, the shitty male narrator, stuff that was cut for TV, changes in film color, bad editing. The absolute worst for me though is the music. They just looped the same three tracks over the entire movie. It even plays in scenes where there wasn't any before. It's so distracting that it renders the extended almost unwatchable. The fact that Brian Eno's "Prophecy Theme" is gone is unforgivable. Again, I would prefer a proper extended-cut, as the extra footage is great, but for now the theatrical plays better.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:41 am

so let me get this straight...

a fair skinned cracker, from an ultra rich and powerful family that's been genetically engineered for centuries on his pop's side who married a former RELIGIOUS FANATICAL, gets thrown out of his posh pad, finds a bunch of sand crakcers, teaches 'em some new tech while submersing himself in their FANATICAL belief system, becomes a MESSIAH, and thru blatant TERRORIST actions, takes hostage of THE MOST IMPORTANT NATURAL RESOURCE in the universe to lead the members of his FANATICAL religion to ETERNAL GLORY?

i love that Smithee cut...SO BAD, yet SO GOOD.

Thanks a bunch Locke, it was killin' me that I couldn't put a face to that terrible narrating. Yes, let's get a quintesential NY voice to narrate our metaphysical space-opera, yeah, that works!

It's like the Dino thought we were all a bunch of putzes who couldn't possibly keep up with the byzantine family trees, convoluted plot and decided to REPEAT ALL THE BLOODY INFORMATION! Yes, we get it, stop beating me over the head with it, please, oh no, again and again and again...

and why does everyone whisper when they do their internal monologue? I KNOW YOU'RE MONOLOGUING 'CUZ YOU'RE LIPS AREN'T MOVING!

But Paul's mom's is the hottest milf EVER, Thufir has the greatest eyebrows known to man (seriously, I get those freaky stick-outy eyebrows that seemingly sprout overnight and would SO rock those bushy mothers), it's great to see the dearly departed Richard Jordan and good 'ol Eraserhead himself Jack Nance, I still well up when Paul reunites with Picard/Xavier, the "weilding" (sp?) way is still badass, McMillan PWNS, I love the vaginal/cock references...but man this film has it's flaws.

An epic disaster that's unintentionally hilarious, doggedly portentous and yet STILL a hell of a film...incredible.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Neo Zeed on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:21 pm

You have got to check out this Dune clip...

http://pages.eidosnet.co.uk/jon4a/main/movies/juice.avi
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby wonkabar on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Neo Zeed wrote:You have got to check out this Dune clip...

Oh that's fucking sweet. It's so mine
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby wonkabar on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Neo Zeed wrote: what is that drink supposed to do exactly?

Set your mind in motion....no wait, that's by will alone...uh...give your thoughts speed I guess.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Neo Zeed on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:32 pm

wonkabar wrote:
Neo Zeed wrote:You have got to check out this Dune clip...

Oh that's fucking sweet. It's so mine

What does one do when his mind is in motion? :D
Last edited by Neo Zeed on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby wonkabar on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:52 pm

Neo Zeed wrote:

Drink the juice of sappho
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Neo Zeed on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:31 pm

wonkabar wrote:
Neo Zeed wrote:

Drink the juice of sappho

Ah yes. One more question...He says "the stains become a warning"...but a warning of what?
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:02 pm

A warning to those around them that they are dealing with a mentat, I suppose. Or a warning to the mentats themselves that too much sapphu will fuck you up and get you tossed in county for 90 days.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: Longer is not always better

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:58 pm

I got this version from Netflix last night.

wonkabar wrote:Plus some stuff was edited OUT for TV.

They removed Baron Harkonnen spitting in Jessica's face for no real reason and a few other odd changes. The flower dude getting his heart plug pulled is also gone.

wonkabar wrote:Loved the new scenes but it was a real mess, and the music track was totally off.

The music being off is the single worst thing to my experience watching this DVD. A very close second is the fact that no one went in & re-colored the Fremen eyes for the added/restored scenes. With the music being so off, I had such a hard time getting into the mood of the movie. It's terrifying how much effect music (and even a lack thereof) can cause such a bad reaction to a movie. It seemed like a shitty producer wanted wall to wall music without a moments peace and that sucked ass.

Lynch was right to Alan Smithee this dung heap. I too liked the new scenes, but they either should have either dropped them in as extras only or worked harder to make it smoother.

What was with all those re-used shots and even using pre-production art IN THE FREAKIN' MOVIE???
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby wonkabar on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:49 pm

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that the Theatrical-cut is fine. I would have loved to have seen what Lynch would have done all these years later with the right amount of time and money from Universal (the movie has always been a big seller for them on VHS/DVD etc.) but alas, much like Kubrick did with Spartacus, he gave up on the film a long time ago.

I've also wondered if, ala Blade Runner, what the film would be like upon the removal of the inner-monologue stuff. I noticed that nothing anybody says/whispers is really of any vital importance/helps the story much. It does add a certain atmosphere but I would be interested to see how the film might play without it.

There are also still a couple scenes that weren't in the deleted scenes contrary to what Raffiella De Laurentiis says in the extras. They were in the comic and the storybook (and there's some cool info in The Making of Dune book and Frank Herbert's EYE), so she's full of crap when she says "this is all there is". Also, the guy from Universal who was at Comic-Con a couple years ago said Lynch had a much longer cut, even if you account for the re-shot water-of-life stuff.

Anyway, like I said, I'd love to see a new Lynch/ Ridley Scott-esque take on the film but the theatrical-cut really is the way to go despite the great extra scenes with Patric Stewart & Max Von Sydow. The musical cues are just too distracting and it's a clear hack-job by Universal on-par with that bullshit they pulled on the TV version of THE THING....
Jesus Christ they had some fucking serious tools working there back in the day.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:03 pm

wonkabar wrote:There are also still a couple scenes that weren't in the deleted scenes contrary to what Raffiella De Laurentiis says in the extras. They were in the comic and the storybook (and there's some cool info in The Making of Dune book and Frank Herbert's EYE), so she's full of crap when she says "this is all there is". Also, the guy from Universal who was at Comic-Con a couple years ago said Lynch had a much longer cut, even if you account for the re-shot water-of-life stuff.

Holy crappa... you're worse than a the goddamn Ollie Stone anna that whole Kennedy thing, eh Wonka?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:47 pm

My friend and I were the only people in the theater when we saw the Halloween remake. Yeah, we had a lot of fun. When Brad Dourif showed up I recited the juice mantra, which my friend got. Too bad there was no warning to stay away from that movie.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:12 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:My friend and I were the only people in the theater when we saw the Halloween remake. Yeah, we had a lot of fun. When Brad Dourif showed up I recited the juice mantra, which my friend got. Too bad there was no warning to stay away from that movie.

juice
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray