BEOWULF

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Beowulf?

6%
16%
23%
13%
3%
3%
6%
3%
3%
No votes
I'm waiting for TV/DVD
3%
I'M! NOT! INTERESTED!
19%

Total votes : 31

BEOWULF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:56 pm

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreviews/beowulf/review.html

A hard R for Zemeckis? A hard R for performance capture?
How long will this sucker be? Isn't computer capture over the $1million per minute average of most Pixar stuff?

Gadzooks tho'...if this is done right it could be astounding!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:57 pm

I'm reading this in class now, I figured there'd be a movie out soon.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:01 pm

This is either going to be frickin awesome or end up a huge pile of steaming shit. With Avery's script, i'm hoping for the former.

A hard R is also the way to go for me, although I've not read any translations of the original to know if this is true, I imagine it is, if Vikings are involved. The 13th Warrior was extremely Violent and that only got a 12 in the UK, maybe there is loads of T&A planned?

Who's in this again?

ETA: IT's CGI??? Shit, I bet it will suck, prove me wrong Zemeckis.
Last edited by John-Locke on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:02 pm

Bean wrote:I'm reading this in class now, I figured there'd be a movie out soon.

Bean, you in college or still in high school?

That's a tough book to get through, if my hazy memory serves me correctly.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:04 pm

John-Locke wrote:This is either going to be frickin awesome or end up a huge pile of steaming shit. With Avery's script, i'm hoping for the former.

A hard R is also the way to go for me, although I've not read any translations of the original to know if this is true, I imagine it is, if Vikings are involved. The 13th Warrior was extremely Violent and that only got a 12 in the UK, maybe there is loads of T&A planned?

Who's in this again?

The cast currently boats a ton of Hollywood heavyweights including Ray Winstone in the title role, Anthony Hopkins, Brendan Gleeson, Robin Wright Penn, Angelina Jolie, Cripin Glover, John Malkovich and Alison Lohman.

WOW!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:10 pm

Senior in High School, and yeah it's a pretty tough read. I actually just realized I have a test on it tomorrow. Maybe I should get on that.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:16 pm

Is motion Capture easier than actually filming on Location? Probably, but it's looked horrible so far.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bean on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:39 pm

Well the Polar Express was pretty amazing stuff, but there's always that bias in my head that tells me whenever something is animated, it's a cartoon, which makes it 'kiddy' (excluding [adult swim] of course). Beowulf is in no way a cartoon, but we'll see how it turns out I guess.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby dimnix on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:39 pm

I'm so disappointed that they're doing this film with motion capture...

I just dont see the point. And the tech isnt quite "there" yet...it just looks creepy. Dead eyes.

Why not do the film with real locations and actors? Doing the cgi only dates it.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Colin on Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:23 pm

I saw this thread title and thought it was going to be dedicated to the 1999 critically-acclaimed classic BEOWULF that starred screen legend Christopher Lambert.

...No?

Okay.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:00 am

There can be only one . . . . one BEOWULF!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:43 am

John-Locke wrote:The 13th Warrior was extremely Violent and that only got a 12 in the UK, maybe there is loads of T&A planned?

Ah yes, the 13th Warrior, now thar were a fine film, if I ever saws one afore!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:41 am

dimnix wrote:I'm so disappointed that they're doing this film with motion capture...

I just dont see the point. And the tech isnt quite "there" yet...it just looks creepy. Dead eyes.

Why not do the film with real locations and actors? Doing the cgi only dates it.

Way to bring up a valid point and quickly turn my erection into jello.

But...
aren't all films sorta dated?

CGI or effects that look "real" to one generation don't quite hold up to later generations, no?

And, um, damnit!

Good call.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:11 pm

My Kong, she looks just as a good a today as a she did back inna 76, eh?

Of a course, she look a like crap back a then too...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:11 pm

oh snap!

on, erm, yourself I guess.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby brainiac on Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:47 am

http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/

There is another option. A live action Beowulf -- NO CGI -- has just premiered at Toronto Film Fest. It is supposed to be full of decapitations, warriors with big swords, and a decidedly human take on Grendel. Stars Gerard Butler, Sarah Polley, and Iceland. I hope it gets a wide release but will peobably get an R for violence and adult scenes. Looks good to me.
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:27 am

Meh.... I like it a the first time I saw it anna it was a called CONAN The Barbarian, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:30 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Meh....

Wasn't there some sort of agreement that the word "meh" was forever banned from the realm of the Phantom Zone? If not, then I vote we ban it. I hate that "word." To me, it's the one word I'd use to describe the AICN Talkbacks... am I alone here?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:51 am

How 'bout a the "enh..." then?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:53 am

First, Sarah Polley is in that other Beowulf movie. WTF?

And second, is it just me, or do viking vessels always look so scrawny for such brawny people?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:53 am

How about:
NATAMLE?
Not A To A My Liking Eh?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:54 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:And second, is it just me, or do viking vessels always look so scrawny for such brawny people?

You are definitely not a man of these times, Burl. Once long ago you would have been a conqueror!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:56 am

Also, how did this movie news forum become a Gerard Butler fan-thread?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:58 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:is it just me, or do viking vessels always look so scrawny for such brawny people?

Spoken like a the true g@y boat designer, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:59 am

I guess you are right. Speaking of. School? Done.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:02 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I guess you are right. Speaking of. School? Done.

Congrats Burl!! I hope the results come out better than expected!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:03 am

I didn't know there were expectations. HAHAHAHh
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:04 am

Hey, expectations are friggin' high, man! We've all been waiting for the christening (?) of the Phantom Zone Ghost Ship!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:07 am

Haha... well if I don't totally laze out today, I will post pics to my gallery. But I doubt I will even turn on Photoshop for another 7.5 years.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:59 pm

Congratulations, eh? Maybe I should a contract you to build a my new yacht, no? I'm sick of alla these putzes who tell a me, "Dino, you gotta buy a this boat, eh? She's a the best." Inna my heart, I know you can a design rings around alla these guys...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:14 pm

God no. I never want to look at another boat as long as I live.

HAHAHA
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby brainiac on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:01 pm

Burl...I don't see that this thread has become a Gerard Butler fan thread...maybe you see things the rest of us don't?

Beowulf and Grendel movie trailer -- caution -- a bit o' violence:
http://www.piff.org/eng/html/program/pr ... 10213#none
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:37 pm

Perhaps I do. Who are you, anyway?

Gerard Butler?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:41 pm

I watched the trailer with the sound off since I am at work. Kind of had a Monty Python and the Holy Grendel to me. I will watch with sound on at home, but what is up with the scrolling Kanji?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Quint on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:25 pm

Check out my story about visiting the offices of Robert Zemeckis' BEOWULF production.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22409

Enjoy yourself!
Quint
AICN Crew

Postby MisterCynic on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:44 pm

awesome quint.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby John-Locke on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:04 pm

Great report with Fascinating implications

If this is as good and photo realistic as you say Eric then this could be the norm in a decade or so, on the up side it'll mean we'll get to see things like The Dark Tower finally realised with ease, especially with the aging thing, that'll be key. I hope it just finds it's place and doesn't become the norm for all films, if Scarlett finally goes full frontal in a film I want it to be her flesh I'm going crazy over.

What other stories could only be told using this technique in the future? you know, ones that are so epic or have such mad locations that shooting conventionaly wouls be too big a challenge for even the greastest directors to take on normally, Silmarilion? Silver Surfer?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby King Psyz on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:14 pm

very cool, sounds like an awesome way to story board a film too.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby brainiac on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:14 pm

Wow...what a cool experience! Just the idea that they might use your shot is awesome.

But... there is that other one.... :?

http://www.beowulf-movie.com/
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:48 pm

Ah, but THAT one didn't invite the AICN crew to the set...! Can't get any more obvious than that.

I'm very curious to see the effects (The Polar Express creeped me out too much to see it), but in many ways I have to wonder WHY? If animated Ray Winstone looks just like the real Ray Winstone, why not film it for real? LOTR proved you can have a completely CGI character (here, it would be Grendel) mixed with live action, and have it come out great. This smacks of trickery for trickery's sake. Particularly when you look at the new story additions. Grendel being the spawn of Hrothgar and Grendel's mom? How can people in Talkback knock the liberties the live-action one takes, but embrace this one?

As much as I like Angelina Jolie, I just can't wrap my mind around her as Grendel's Mother. Especially a super-sexy version. Talk about pandering.

I just want a CHANCE to see the live action one. Maybe it's awful. But it gives me even less faith in Zemeckis' version when he's busy squashing the independent.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:05 am

The point is if this can look photo realistic you dont have to worry about lighting, sets, camera crews, locations, weather, waiting, more waiting on set etc, you make film making a hell of a lot cheaper and easier, you get exactly the shot you want, geeks on compters are relatively cost effective compared to having a crew of 400 wait an hour on set because some lighbulbs need changing.

Unfortunatly this is probably the future of cinema, hopefully real film will always have a place but if or when this looks good enough and comes down in price I expect we will be seeing a lot more of it especially when the story is to epic to film the normal way. LOTR proved you can do it but it also took a hell of a lot out of PJ and he's one of the few Directors capable.

Location and to a slightly lesser extent Studio Filming isn't very fun, it may look like it is but believe me it isn't, early starts, late finishes, shit food, waiting and more waiting, sleep deprivation etc. With modern technology what it is this move is kinda inevitable as people try to push the boundaries of cinema.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am

Actually, that's a very good answer, John-Locke. It answers my question. :)

They've said this for years and it still chills me in alot of ways. I would miss seeing the "real thing."

They still have a long way to go to convince me that what I am watching is real. I'm not interested in shiny Episode III battles. As cool as it looks, I know it's all on a computer--it just lacks that weight and texture.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:21 am

Yeah but by modern standards A New Hope looks kinda crappy , back in the day it was pushing the boundaries of the cinematic frontier, if you didn't have maverick Directors/producers like Lucas, Jackson, Speilberg and Zemeckis taking the risks and allowing these things to evolve the state of cinema would be completely different.

I think film will always have a place, films like the brilliant Munich use the same techniques mastered in the early 70's and that is fucking brilliant because of it.

I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of the blockbusters use this technique once it's been perfected, think Halo and as I said The Dark Tower and it'll be all good, when sundance doesn't have anything screening that was shot on film you will know it's gone too far but with the End of the World as we know it glooming I wouldn't be that suprised if it did happen within the next decade.

:(
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby brainiac on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:42 am

All good points. The actors, crew, etc. have horror stories to tell of filming in Iceland for the "live" Beowulf and Grendel. Freezing mud and water, tornadic winds, & uncomfortable chain mail worn over wet suits made for a miserable shoot.

The next step up from that would be Miller's Sin City and "300". Stylized backgrounds via computer but the actors are still real.

Then "motion capture" -- actors that you don't really see...

Soon, very soon, there won't be any need for actors... OK...not a big revelation because it has been debated in the media for some time but, I gotta' tell ya', I'm sure going to miss real flesh -- Brad Pitt, Jessica Alba, and the oh-so-dreamy Gerard Butler. :roll:

We will rue the day... well, except for big SFX movies that beg for CGI, motion capture, animation, what-ever.
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:08 am

There's been a Beowulf movie already, with Christopher Lambert, but it sucked. It was horrible. You could almost say I wasn't watching a movie at all, but was transported to a metaphysical plane where suffering reigns supreme and all that is good is shunned from the universe. A universe that could not even be mended by having nudity in the movie.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:51 am

Chris Lambert's accent is funny because hes French so it sounds like he has peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth when he talks.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:14 pm

i really liked the images up on the main site, but it still remains to be seen how they will look in motion. has the potential of being a hellava movie.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby brainiac on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Anyone get these "The Art of B&G" images before they took them down?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30985

If so, can you post them here or put a link up to a photobucket so those of us (me) who missed them can see them?

Thanks...

Even Gaiman mentions that AICN has the pics up -- the ones that are gone now.
http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:12 pm

Yeah, I missed them as well. I want to see.

This movie keeps coming up in my Old English classes. The casting of Angelina Jolie has the literary world up in arms...
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Okay, so we gonna to make a this a the official Beowulf thread, eh? Based onna the Garbage Man's suggestion...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Next

Return to Animation